TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfxion

Who does better promos?

Who does the better promos?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who does the better promos?

• Ric Flair (Durring the 80s?)
    • The Rock (After first heel turn joining the Nation)
    • Stone Cold (less the what shit)
    • Kurt Angle (less goofy face days)
    • Mick Foley
    • Arn Anderson
    • HBK (less his Commish days)
    • Bret Hart
    • Bobby Heenan (pre WCW days)
    • Roddy Piper(before his first retirement)

Na Hogan is the man. Without his promos wrestling probally wouldnt even be what it is today.

Guest Ray

Bret's interviews are very underrated. He wasn't flashy or great with insults like Rock. What he did have was an honest, sincere, professional quality in his promos. He came off like a man who wasn't great with words, and knew it, but still tried to make you think what he said was truly what he felt, and he succeeded at that. Take a look at his WWF return interview in late 96, or his profanity filled rant after the Raw cage match in 97. The latter is truly great, with Bret wonderfully displaying his frustration from Austin constantly screwing with him.

The Rock is GREAT at telling jokes, insulting people, and so forth. But he's not nearly the best when it comes to serious work. I can't recall many great, serious, heartfelt Rock interviews. It's the jokes and insults that stand out.

Foley is amazing at making people believe what he says.

Angle's never done anything great outside of cocky Olympic Hero stuff and insulting himself. He can't do believable serious interviews.

Why in the hell is Michaels on this list? Drugged up stumbling over words 1997 heel Michaels? Really?

I'd vote for Austin as the best. His psychotic heel promos from late 1996 are a lost treasure. They're absolutely chilling in their ruthlessness. What irks me is so many people are judging him by recent things, such as "What?" and overlooking all the great work he did in the past.

Guest wildpegasus
Bret's interviews are very underrated. He wasn't flashy or great with insults like Rock. What he did have was an honest, sincere, professional quality in his promos. He came off like a man who wasn't great with words, and knew it, but still tried to make you think what he said was truly what he felt, and he succeeded at that. Take a look at his WWF return interview in late 96, or his profanity filled rant after the Raw cage match in 97. The latter is truly great, with Bret wonderfully displaying his frustration from Austin constantly screwing with him.

The Rock is GREAT at telling jokes, insulting people, and so forth. But he's not nearly the best when it comes to serious work. I can't recall many great, serious, heartfelt Rock interviews. It's the jokes and insults that stand out.

Angle's never done anything great outside of cocky Olympic Hero stuff and insulting himself. He can't do believable serious interviews.

Why in the hell is Michaels on this list? Drugged up stumbling over words 1997 heel Michaels? Really?

I'd vote for Austin as the best. His psychotic heel promos from late 1996 are a lost treasure. They're absolutely chilling in their ruthlessness. What irks me is so many people are judging him by recent things, such as "What?" and overlooking all the great work he did in the past.

Bret's interviews are so underrated it's a crying shame. Mick Foley was a great, great talker but he never got me believing that he believed in his promos as much as Bret did. Of course Mick's charactors makes it hard for him to do that. Still, even so he did a great job of it. Bret Hart and Arn Anderson were the two wrestlers who honostly had me believing they weren't making an interview up but were speaking from the heart.

Guest Rrrsh

Wow, u picked Austin.

Thats a shock.

Guest Ray
I am not trolling. You REALLY need to open you mind to other wrestlers.

:lol:

As if Austin is the only wrestler I like....

I picked Flair...

But I really like People not on the list..

Pillman, Alex Wright (heel), Disqo (comedy), Jeff Jarrett (Chosen One), Steve Austin (Old WWF Days), The Rock (since his movie career, I've loved him on the mic, he's hilarious), William Regal is very good as well. All those others are very good too, but how in the hell could you leave...

RAVEN!?! Off that list? Raven has one of the best voices in wrestling, and his promos are fantastic. I thought he was great.

i piked foley although i now wish i picked austin i thouht flair at first until i realized his promos were all fun instead of seirios. and wheres jericho?

Foley. Consistently convincing...he gets my vote. Hell, he could sell me on anything.

Austin - loved his rants/taunts against Bret during their feud.

Also loved forthright talkers like Arn and Bret.

I voted for Foley is god. But would like to say that Austin from the 90s was one of the greatest of all time. "Add a S to Hitman and that is what I think of Brett" and his ECW promos "Steve-a-mania is running wild brotha".

What About Raven? The Raven vs Dreamer feud was probably the best thing that happened in ECW storyline wise. In WCW Raven was one of the best at working the mic in feuds involving his hatred for everybody who did not understand his pain.

Guest Coffey

Why is Bret Hart even on the poll? Where's Hulk Hogan? Jake Roberts really should be on there too, as previously mentioned.

Steve Austin's stick in 2001 is better than what most guys have ever said on the mic. I vote Austin, although a very close second is Foley.

The Rock is highly overrated, merely good at insulting someone, and Michaels is bland and boring.

Other than the whole paranoid angle he had, what other great mic works did he do? Was it before the Alliance, because I remembering while I thought he was funny during that period, not exactly a spectacular mic guy.

I was thinking late 2001 with the "What?" phrase. My mistake.

Although I'd never put him down for "best" promo, I think that Bill Eadie (Demolition Ax) deserves an honorable mention; I was just watching some old Demolition matches and listening to him promo, and Ax had a great voice for doing interviews. I've always been a fan of his terse, hoarse delivery.

EDIT - And their ring music kicked ass, too.

Edited by Mr. S£im Citrus

Guest Ray
Other than the whole paranoid angle he had, what other great mic works did he do? Was it before the Alliance, because I remembering while I thought he was funny during that period, not exactly a spectacular mic guy.

The paranoid heel angle ran most of the year though. Other than that, there are some great promos before Mania 17, where he talks about wanting the title more than anything in the world.

"What?" was great when heel Austin did it. There's an Austin promo where he's sitting alone on a car in a dark parking lot talking about Kurt Angle. "Come on out Kurt....what? Are you scared....what?" It's an amazing promo. He's chillingly calm when delivering it, making it even greater. "Stone Cold" would truly be the most apt description. ;)

Austin was amazing and, at least on this board, he's become shockingly underrated.

He also cut some really good promos that started off with "My name is 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and I deserve some respect" or whatever.

Guest Rrrsh

The paranoid heel angle ran most of the year though. Other than that, there are some great promos before Mania 17, where he talks about wanting the title more than anything in the world.

"What?" was great when heel Austin did it. There's an Austin promo where he's sitting alone on a car in a dark parking lot talking about Kurt Angle. "Come on out Kurt....what? Are you scared....what?" It's an amazing promo. He's chillingly calm when delivering it, making it even greater. "Stone Cold" would truly be the most apt description. ;)

Austin was amazing and, at least on this board, he's become shockingly underrated.

Can you just shut up about Austin, already. Why do you feel the need to hijack every thread that mentions Austin.

WE GET THAT YOU THINK HE IS GOD. Shut up about it already.

Guest Ray
Can you just shut up about Austin, already. Why do you feel the need to hijack every thread that mentions Austin.

*laugh* Yeah, ANSWERING A QUESTION = THREAD HIJACK.

Yep, explaining why Austin does great promos in a thread about who does better promos = THREAD HIJACK!

You crack me up.

WE GET THAT YOU THINK HE IS GOD. Shut up about it already.

WE GET THAT YOU BLINDLY HATE AUSTIN. Shut up about Austin fans defending him.

Alright guys, calm down.

For the current crop, I prefer Jericho on the mic compared to practically everyone else. Call it bias, but I think he's very good at comedy (his face stuff now is MUCH better than it was in, say, 2000), and he can cut a serious promo.

Of all time, I'm not sure. It's a tough call. I think I'm not young to properly access, so I'll just stick to the present.