TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Skywarp!

Who is getting the PS2 HDD?

It was released today, and bundled with "Final Fantasy XI" (which will also be sold separately) for $100. I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, and that's the only game that HDD fully supports right now (there are rumors of "SOCOM II" having new downloadable maps, skins and weapons, and "Resident Evil: Outbreak" will have faster loading times between rooms with it).

I'm thinking of waiting to see if they bundle it with something else or by itself, which could take awhile. Also, people are saying the HDD itself costs $100 and that "Final Fantasy XI" is free of charge, so there's no use waiting for the HDD to come out by itself. But I have a suspicion that's all just hooey.

But still, I'd like to hear what people who have it are saying about it. The HDD hardware review and the "Final Fantasy XI" review are both posted on ign.com.

Guest OctoberBlood

Maps for Socom 2 aren't exactly rumors, it's true. EGM published an interview about the HDD, and the guy said there will be atleast 3 new maps coming in the upcoming months for Socom 2 on the HDD. So, that's basicly confirmed.

No instrest in FFXI, and no instrest in spending 100$ for 3 new maps, atleast not right now. I am saving up for a new video card so I can play BF Vietnam.

So then its true that the HDD cannot be used to save games other than FF XI or Socom2? So basically you still need memory cards not matter what and the HDD cannot or will not work as a 40 GIG memory card? Why spend $100 when broadband is not support in my area? Is Sony getting advise from Nintendo execs for making accessories that cost alot of $$$$ and basically is limited in use?

What about the potential for games like Smackdown? You could get the actual themes off a site, instead of the shit they have to use.. and maybe pre-made CAWs?

I like the possibilities.

Sony  PS2 HDD = N64 Expansion Pak 2004~!

I hope it becomes more like the 64DD.

However, it'll be a success anyway, much to my chagrin.

Sony is evil, and must be stopped...

...and no, Microsoft isn't an acceptable alternative to dominate the market. :P

Guest Vitamin X
HDD for PS2 was annouced before Xbox.

Too bad Xbox was actually able to deliver on the exact same thing, only better..ohhh...when the freakin' system was LAUNCHED.

The lack of necessity for a memory card was one of the driving points behind me getting the system over buying back my PS2 with all its accessories and games and free online and whatnot.

I appreciate my XBox Hardrive for more than just the lack of need for memory cards...

There's a reason why high end XBox games aren't able to be developed for the PS2...and it's the power of the machine.

Even the PS2 HDD won't change that...as game makers would have to design their games to take advantage of the optional HDD...and alienate all the people that don't buy one.

I appreciate my XBox Hardrive for more than just the lack of need for memory cards...

There's a reason why high end XBox games aren't able to be developed for the PS2...and it's the power of the machine.

Even the PS2 HDD won't change that...as game makers would have to design their games to take advantage of the optional HDD...and alienate all the people that don't buy one.

An upgrade like that is a rather risky thing to do. The Sega CD was put out before that format was viable, but this is a case where an upgrade is viable--it's just a question of whether or not people will think it is worth it, and if it is granted enough third-party support to knock people off the fence.

Yes, bps, we all know the X-Box is more powerful, but console power alone has never been the be-all, end-all in console wars. Sony still has some very large advantages over Microsoft.

Even with the X-Box hard drive, the PS2 isn't losing much ground to Microsoft--they're just providing an extra option for those interested. I think the HDD will do moderately well, and it's priced reasonably (although I will never buy one as long as it is bundled with a Final Fantasy game). $100 for an upgrade and a pack-in game is far more reasonable than any other upgrade in the past that's been introduced (before drastic markdowns, of course), plus that isn't even taking inflation into account.

Guest Vitamin X

An upgrade like that is a rather risky thing to do. The Sega CD was put out before that format was viable, but this is a case where an upgrade is viable--it's just a question of whether or not people will think it is worth it, and if it is granted enough third-party support to knock people off the fence.

Yes, bps, we all know the X-Box is more powerful, but console power alone has never been the be-all, end-all in console wars. Sony still has some very large advantages over Microsoft.

Neither is just a huge gaming library that's full of mostly crap.

There are very few games I've seen on PS2 that I'd want that aren't available for my Xbox. Hell, and they all get ported sooner or later and look how much prettier they look! GTA:III or Vice City for example...(which I'm thinking about getting rid of because I way overestimated how much I liked that game on PS2)

VX: And what was the point of that? I was just assessing the situation, keeping in mind that the PS2 *is* the dominant home console as far as sales and user base. I wasn't expressing a preference, hence I don't get why you saw it as an opening to spout your X-Box fanboyism.

Guest Vitamin X
VX: And what was the point of that? I was just assessing the situation, keeping in mind that the PS2 *is* the dominant home console as far as sales and user base. I wasn't expressing a preference, hence I don't get why you saw it as an opening to spout your X-Box fanboyism.

The point was in debating Sony's "huge" advantages over Microsoft.

Other than sales (which I think ties-in with user base for obvious reasons) and a larger gaming library, I don't see it.

And on the record, I still consider the Super Nintendo the best gaming system ever made (considering time periods and technologies, no other system has come close to matching it). So I don't really see the XBox "fanboy" thing. I apologize if you feel that's the case ;)

HDD has been out for like 2 years in Japan.

Ladies and gentlemen, the decline of the gaming industry.

What a nonsensical thing to say.

I got mine today. I played a little of XI.

"Other than sales (which I think ties-in with user base for obvious reasons) and a larger gaming library, I don't see it."

It's not just the number of games. If you're a gamer that wants the best selection of fighting games (2D and 3D), platformers (yes, there's Ninja Gaiden, but little else exclusive), RPGs, those D.D.R. style games that are quite popular, and probably some other genres--the PS2 is the best way to go. That doesn't even take into account all of the PS1 games out there.

Installed user base is important not just because it reflects sales, but it is important in determining what system a third party will decide to develop for.

Plus, among the three top systems, the PS2 probably covers the widest demographic: kids, pre-teens, and older gamers all are big on the PS2. The Gamecube is mostly the younger demographic. The X-Box targets mainly older gamers.

The PS2 controller--nuff said.

The X-Box may be ideal for you, but it has many deficiencies the PS2 does not. So the PS2 more than makes up for its lack of power. Unless a developer is making a game that simply isn't possible on the PS2, there isn't much incentive to make it exclusive to the X-Box.

"And on the record, I still consider the Super Nintendo the best gaming system ever made (considering time periods and technologies, no other system has come close to matching it). So I don't really see the XBox "fanboy" thing. I apologize if you feel that's the case."

Good choice, although I'd say the Dreamcast myself.

You and bps seem to go out of your way to plug the X-Box any time you can. It gets annoying, partly because I have an X-Box and I don't feel the need to gush over it constantly.

The PS2 controller--nuff said.
I have an adaptor that works on both Gamecube and Xbox. And another adaptor for the Dreamcast that hates Madkatz.

I'm playing FF XI. It's so cool. I'm on the Fairy server. I am a hume red mage named Anyanka. The game is really fun, and really overwhelming. The "living city" aspect of GTA or Shenmue is just a joke compared to this. I can't believe how friendly people are too. A lot of people go out of their way to help newbs.

I got FFXI as an early B-day present and I haven't really been able to take myself away from this game yet. It's like drugs.

I'm on the Quetzalcoatl server and yes there are LOTS of friendly people that wish to help each other. Made alot of in-game friends thus far. I think the Montly fee is keeping most of the losers you may find in Diablo out of the game.