TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Darkness Singer To Replace Mercury

30th Anniversary show to feature Justin Hawkins on vocals

In a move that's sure to piss off a lot of people, Justin Hawkins, lead vocalist of The Darkness, will be filling in for Freddie Mercury during Queen's 30th Anniversary show. The show, celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Queen's first chart hit, is a charity benefit, with all proceeds going to Terrence Higgins Trust and/or Children in Need.

For those of us not in England (and not willing to travel all that way), a charity record will be released featuring the concert.

An official announcement is set to take place May 11th, following the 2nd anniversary of "We Will Rock You", a stage musical about the career of Queen.

[credit: Blabbermouth.net]

Well, seeing as how the members of Queen have willingly whored themselves out to any old tat over the last five years (5ive and Wyclef Jean both come to mind), at least they've got someone who actually understands and appreciates their music to join them for this. Justin's bound to do a better job than most of the people they could have chosen (Scott Stapp...you'd better have been joking) and, hey, it's for charity. I'm all for it

Im happy as hell, I think he'll do a fine job. And yeah, you better have been FUCKING kidding about the Stapp thing, because if Stapp was there, I wouldnt go, infact I would donate TONS of money to the charities, and buy ALL the tickets, so that NO ONE would have to experiance it. Hey.....wait.....that gives me an idea.......

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The only thing Mercury and that hack have in common is clothing.

Mercury outta be spinning in his grave that the most overated vocalist is assuming his role.

Imagine "We Are the Champions" with that guy in his fucked up falsetto. It will be a train wreck.

It's only fitting that they picked Hawkins. He and his band's whole image is based on classic Queen. I can't think of anyone who I'd think would do a better job than him.

It's only fitting that they picked Hawkins. He and his band's whole image is based on classic Queen. I can't think of anyone who I'd think would do a better job than him.

But he doesn't sound like Freddie Murcury at all. I could dress up like Tupac, but I'd surely hope no one would peg me to take his place at a tribute show. Lookign and sounding like them is a totally different beast. Besides, as I've stated before, the Darkness has more in common with Spinal Tap than anyone else. Isn't that funny? Spinal Tap was satarizing a band that came 20 years AFTER them.

But he doesn't sound like Freddie Murcury at all. I could dress up like Tupac, but I'd surely hope no one would peg me to take his place at a tribute show. Lookign and sounding like them is a totally different beast. Besides, as I've stated before, the Darkness has more in common with Spinal Tap than anyone else. Isn't that funny? Spinal Tap was satarizing a band that came 20 years AFTER them.

I do agree with you about the parody nature of the Darkness.

But who would you suggest be a better choice for vocalist at the Queen tribute show?

But who would you suggest be a better choice for vocalist at the Queen tribute show?

How 'bout a tribute show like the one for Freddie back in the day at Wembley...

Get a bunch of guys to do different songs - Axl, Elton, Timberlake, Dawkins, Vedder etc etc...maybe a Josh Todd if Axl cant make it by 3am...

Get a bunch of guys to do different songs - Axl, Elton, Timberlake, Dawkins, Vedder etc etc...maybe a Josh Todd if Axl cant make it by 3am...

Ever hear Axl and Elton's version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" from years ago? They did a really good job.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I'd rather Hawkins than alot of guys, though I hate everything by the Darkness other than one song.

Fuck, if George Michael could fit the bill, than mostly anyone could too.

Chris Cornell. Both he and Murcury have the same type of yelp.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh god, Cornell would be just as bad. Have you ever heard Soundgarden live? Horrific. I can only imagine how bad Audioslave is. His voice shits me bad, it's almost a type of BUTT-rock vocals in terms of variation. This Hawkins character is at least going to get into it. What sort of Queen influence has Chris Cornell ever shown?

The band should dig up unreleased b-sides and other studio goodies, and release those for charity, then do the carousel of singers at the live show, so no one has to try to fill Mercury's shoes alone.

shit...I'd take scott stapp over this fuck.

*cocks gun*

Justin Hawkins may not be a good fit for this event, but Scott Stapp?

Scott Stapp is a whiny piece of shit.

EDIT: And, Choken, aren't you deaf? How would you know good music?

Hawkins is probably the best choice to actually repeat, or try to repeat his voice.

And no, The Darkness isn't a parody band at all.

Why wasn't King Diamond considered? I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION.

They should get Bruce Dickison in there.

Bruce + Queen, how can that go wrong.

Guest Vitamin X

Chris Barnes? DOING QUEEN?

:lol:

I like the Bruce Dickinson idea though, that could be even BETTER than Freddie Mercury.

Ever hear Axl and Elton's version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" from years ago? They did a really good job.

Thats why theyre #s 1 and 2 on my list. :)

Fuck ya'll and your bashing of Scott Stapp and/or Creed.

Sorry for not liking a guy that did absolutely nothing but ripoff other vocalists entirely...then whine like freddurst because people didnt like it...

Dickinson singing Queen songs would rule. I just think it's too bad Dickinson wouldn't have the homoerotic movements down well enough (since Bruce just goes nuts onstage).

Maybe DLR? Seems like he'd be a decent choice for at least one tune.