TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Don't forget my homestate team of the Carolina Hurricanes in '02 making it to the finals when most were predicting they would go out in the first round. I'm thinking a Lightning vs. Sharks final would be really good as they are both pretty equal teams, but I'll still pull for the Flyers.

Didn't the 'Canes win their division that year, though, so entered the playoffs as the #3 seed? And, while my memory's not the best, I think both the 1 & 2 seeds lost in the first round. So, the 'Canes had home ice advantage for the entire Eastern Conference (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's much easier than being the #6 seed and beating 3, 1, then 2 to get to the Cup.

Yeah, Carolina beat the #6 Devils, #8 Canadiens, and #4 Leafs that year, having home ice advantage despite having less points than both the Devils and Leafs and probably not that much more than the Habs.

Yeah, Carolina beat the #6 Devils, #8 Canadiens, and #4 Leafs that year, having home ice advantage despite having less points than both the Devils and Leafs and probably not that much more than the Habs.

Habs had more points then Carolina, and clinched before Carolina as well.

Home ice is key, though, regardless of a few points one way or another. Maybe not as much in Jersey, but beating the Habs and Leafs is MUCH easier if you have 4 games at home and only 3 on their pond.

I could have sworn my picks were posted, but I guess I am wrong:

San Jose over Calgary in 7. (I am 0 for 2 in Calgary's series so I am going to enjoy the tobaggen ride!)

Tampa Bay over Philadelphia in 6. (I am torn over this one, but I think Tampa is the better team.)

The other thing to remember about Carolina is that they had the fourth fewest losses in the league that season so it wasn't a huge surprise that they went on if you really studied things before the playoffs. Only Detroit, Boston and Toronto had fewer losses than Carolina.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

With Vancouver gone I'm definetly rooting for the Flames like nuts. They're up by one early right now...

What was the score of the Sharks vs. Flames game last night?

This might be a stupid question: in a series like TB-Philly, would there be the same Hockey Night in Canada coverage that there would have been with a Canadian team in the series?

If so:

On behalf of sane Americans, let me apologize to our neighbors to the North for the Saturday game being on the middle of the day, instead of being on during prime time for HNIC. The dimwits running ABC/ESPN feel that it's more important to give the NBA Playoffs (with their record setting low ratings) the prime time at the expense of the history of Saturday Night hockey.

If not:

Nevemind. Go Lightning.

Either way:

Fuck. Gary. Bettman.

Even with low ratings, I would imagine the NBA playoffs would have scored beter ratings than hockey on Sat. night. That's no knock on hockey, because I'm a fan, but it's unfortunately the truth.

I don't see that as a knock. When it's strictly on ESPN next year (if there is a next year) it probably won't be as much of a problem.

Either way:

Fuck. Gary. Bettman.

And fuck David Stern, the NBA, NBC and ABC for stretching the first round of the playoffs for what seems like 10 years...

What the John Grahame?

Was a fan of his in the minors for the Providence Bruins when he won a calder cup....Who would have thought he would have to play at all this playoffs? especially with khabibulin

Even with low ratings, I would imagine the NBA playoffs would have scored beter ratings than hockey on Sat. night. That's no knock on hockey, because I'm a fan, but it's unfortunately the truth.

I think we're going to see the gap between hockey and basketball postseason ratings start to close. I mean, this hasn't been the best Stanley Cup, but this year has certainly had a lot of interesting moments. Certainly more good moments than the very lackluster NBA playoffs with top-seed sweeps and the usual suspects once again.

Even with low ratings, I would imagine the NBA playoffs would have scored beter ratings than hockey on Sat. night.  That's no knock on hockey, because I'm a fan, but it's unfortunately the truth.

I think we're going to see the gap between hockey and basketball postseason ratings start to close. I mean, this hasn't been the best Stanley Cup, but this year has certainly had a lot of interesting moments. Certainly more good moments than the very lackluster NBA playoffs with top-seed sweeps and the usual suspects once again.

The problem is that America, by and large, doesn't care for hockey. The sport needs a bona fide SUPERSTAR to make America care. Wayne Gretzky came too early, and Mario Lemieux just missed. Sadly, hockey doesn't have someone they can "push" to America, and thusly most of the country just shrugs their shoulders at the sport.

Which is exactly why I don't understand why it would be such a bad thing (in the US) to have a Canadian-based team in the finals. If Americans don't care, anyway, what harm would it do to have Calgary in there instead of San Jose?

So, how much do you think getting bitch slapped like Tampa did last night will affect them in the next game?

I gotta think that it'll hurt their confidence level in games 3 & 4. If the Flyers can jump out to an early lead, they should be able to rattle the Lightning.

Which is exactly why I don't understand why it would be such a bad thing (in the US) to have a Canadian-based team in the finals. If Americans don't care, anyway, what harm would it do to have Calgary in there instead of San Jose?

You sometimes get the same argument about how terrible a Sunbelt Stanley Cup would be between San Jose & Tampa Bay, hell tell that to the players & coaches who have busted ass all season long.

As far as I'm concerned, if you get there, congrats.

Which is exactly why I don't understand why it would be such a bad thing (in the US) to have a Canadian-based team in the finals.  If Americans don't care, anyway, what harm would it do to have Calgary in there instead of San Jose?

You sometimes get the same argument about how terrible a Sunbelt Stanley Cup would be between San Jose & Tampa Bay, hell tell that to the players & coaches who have busted ass all season long.

As far as I'm concerned, if you get there, congrats.

The problem with a Sunbelt Stanley Cup final is that you practically kill a lot of Canada viewers. Problem with an all Canadian final is you kill a lot of the American viewers.

They'll get props for making it there, but you will lose viewers either way.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Philly in the Finals would be great for Hockey no matter who the opponant is. Philly is a very supportive town.