TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Guest Choken One

Ok...Substract that for Texas and New Jersey...two areas that aren't really HOCKEY nations.

I forgot they just reached the cup...For some reason I tend to block out anytime New Jersey wins and assume the other team won.

I think CBC's gotta be thrilled that they've got 2 All Canadian match-ups in the 1st round, especially since there was a possibility they'd have to worry about 6 different games with Canadian teams in them. The catch-22 is that that means that (at least) 2 Canadian teams will be out after the 1st round.

My picks:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning over (8) New York Islanders in 6

-Islanders will probably take at least 1 game at home, but I can't see them taking the series.

(7) Montreal Canadiens over (2) Boston Bruins in 7

-The curse of the 2nd seed strikes again.

(6) New Jersey Devils over (3) Philadelphia Flyers in 6

-Wouldn't be surprised to see Philly win, though, especially since the Devils aren't healthy.

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs over (5) Ottawa Senators in 4

- :)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings over (8) Nashville Predators in 5

-Nashville will probably win the 1st game and send Hockeytown into panic.

(2) San Jose Sharks over (7) St. Louis Blues in 6

-San Jose's been strong all season, I don't see why they'd let down here.

(6) Calgary Flames over (3) Vancouver Canucks in 7

-This should be awesome, if only for the crowds (especially in Calgary).

(5) Dallas Stars over (4) Colorado Avalanche in 6

-Dallas has been playing well lately while Colorado hasn't.

Hopefully these playoffs can live up to their hype, since they should be awesome.

I think CBC's gotta be thrilled that they've got 2 All Canadian match-ups in the 1st round, especially since there was a possibility they'd have to worry about 6 different games with Canadian teams in them.

And ESPN's even more thrilled because once again they can pretend the Senators don't exist.

I think CBC's gotta be thrilled that they've got 2 All Canadian match-ups in the 1st round, especially since there was a possibility they'd have to worry about 6 different games with Canadian teams in them.

And ESPN's even more thrilled because once again they can pretend the Senators don't exist.

I wonder if they'd even make the first half-hour of SportsCenter if they won the Cup.

I'm pretty sure ESPN didn't know where Vancouver was until the Burtuzzi incident

I wonder if they'd even make the first half-hour of SportsCenter if they won the Cup.

I doubt they'll even be able to pronounce names correctly.

Maybe they'll get Steve Berthiume to do his over-pronounced name schtick (mar-TEHN bro-DOOR. Man, I hate Steve Berthiume.)

I'm thinking something similar to the previous 2 playoffs. The established team like New Jersey vs the low seed with the hot goalie like Anaheim.

Guest Choken One

we need to look at the goalies and see who has the most catchy last name for ESPN to popularize...

we need to look at the goalies and see who has the most catchy last name for ESPN to popularize...

Miikka Kiprusoff would be the most likely.

I expect to be hearing "and there's another save by Kippy" all thoroughout the playoffs.

"The Bulin Wall" has been used but I don't see the Bolts going far

Also possible but God I hope not:

Kippy & Turkey

Raker

Burker King & Esche-a-Sketch

Leemy (The What-awa Where-ators?)

Man-Leg & CuJo

The Aeb-Doer, 8-minute Aebs, 6-pack of Aebs, Aeb-solutely, Aeb-racadabra

TurKo and Fertig? You know you want it.

Mar-TANN bro-DOOOR

Vokoooooooooooooooooooooooun, The Koon Man

Garthy The Snowman & Deepy, Deep End, Deep Impact

Oz

Knock-Off, Now Back off

Crazy Eddie, The Eagle, Billionaire Ed

Theo, Ho-zay, Zho-Thay, The Jose-Man

Clooch

:throwup:

Wow... I think we will hear every single one of those TCR... And every single one is making me go "ugh"...

Manny Legace + Third Stringer = THIRD LEG!!! Why didn't I think of that before?

Probably because no one considers Legace to be worth a damn, since CuJo will be back.

Hell, I'd laugh my ass of if Dominator returned.

Wow... I think we will hear every single one of those TCR... And every single one is making me go "ugh"...

Manny Legace + Third Stringer = THIRD LEG!!! Why didn't I think of that before?

Probably because no one considers Legace to be worth a damn, since CuJo will be back.

Hell, I'd laugh my ass of if Dominator returned.

Um no. I think the consensus is that The Third Leg will be penetrating the first round of this tournament. Joseph isn't ready.

(2) Boston Bruins vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens

Habs in 7. When in doubt, go with the team with a clear cut #1

Ummm, Raycroft has been the Bruins clear cut #1 since about December. He only played 10 less games than Theodore, and has played about 80% of the Bruins games in the last half of the year. And he had better #s than Theodore (better GAA and save percentage, at least. Theodore had more shutouts, but playing more games would normally mean more opportunities for a shutout).

While I wouldn't be surprised to see Theodore steal a game in this series, to say that he's the reason to pick Montreal doesn't make sense.

East

Tampa Bay vs. NY Islanders - Tampa in 6.

Boston vs. Montreal - Boston in 7. (I am very unsure about that pick)

Philadelphia vs. New Jersey - New Jersey in 7.

Toronto vs. Ottawa - Ottawa in 7.

West

Detroit vs. Nashville - Detroit in 5.

San Jose vs. St. Louis - San Jose in 6.

Vancouver vs. Calgary - Vancouver in 6.

Colorado vs. Dallas - Dallas in 7.

(2) Boston Bruins vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens

Habs in 7.  When in doubt, go with the team with a clear cut #1

Ummm, Raycroft has been the Bruins clear cut #1 since about December. He only played 10 less games than Theodore, and has played about 80% of the Bruins games in the last half of the year. And he had better #s than Theodore (better GAA and save percentage, at least. Theodore had more shutouts, but playing more games would normally mean more opportunities for a shutout).

While I wouldn't be surprised to see Theodore steal a game in this series, to say that he's the reason to pick Montreal doesn't make sense.

You know, I knew that, yet I still wrote that down. I might've been thinking of Philly/Jersey at the time, but I can't really say for sure.

So let me revisit this. Theodore isn't a proven playoff commodity (because the Habs haven't exactly has a good track record of making the playoffs), but he's proven to be a solid goaltender. Raycroft, you know, he could be this year's Giguere, but I gotta go with the team and the goalie who has some hardware in his house.

I will need to decide between watching the games on ESPN or listening to Don Cherry's dumb ass.

Considering Cherry is only on pregame,first intermission and postgame...always go with the CBC coverage over ESPN.

Fuck ESPN and their hockey coverage. Except Dave Strader. He gets an exemption from the 'fuck' clause.

Since I'm sure that everyone has been waiting with baited breath, I'll do my Western Conference picks now ...

1. Detroit vs. 8. Nashville - even though the Wings goaltending situation is shaky, I just can't see the Preds winning a game in this series, let alone the entire series. Detroit in 4.

2. San Jose vs. 7 St. Louis - the Blues just don't have enough firepower to match up with the Sharks this year ... at least they kept the streak alive, though. San Jose in 6.

3. Vancouver vs. 6. Calgary - much like the other all-Canadian matchup, I think that this one comes down to the goaltending. And as much as I like Vancouver, I just don't think that they'll win the goaltending match-up, and will probably miss Bertuzzi more in the postseason than they did to end the regular season. Flames in 7.

4. Colorado vs. 5. Dallas - the Avs have too many players with great post-season histories to be a 1st round knockout this year. I don't think that they'll win it all, or even win the West, but they will escape past Dallas in round 1. Colorado in 7.

4. Colorado vs. 5. Dallas - the Avs have too many players with great post-season histories to be a 1st round knockout this year.

Aside from Sakic and Forsberg, who are you referring to?

Can somebody else confirm for me that Montreal/Bruins tickets at the Bell are, indeed, not on sale? I can't find them for sale anywhere, but I'm hoping that I'm not inept and that they really aren't on sale yet.