TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Czech Republic, how quick you are to write off the much more playoff-experienced Flyers team against say, Tampa Bay.

I want so badly to say "Tampa's a fluke", "Tampa is a joke", but honestly, they've looked AWESOME this playoff series.

I just don't think they'll match up with an equally hot Flyers team, should Philly advance.

Keep in mind, Tampa's played Islanders and Canadiens....two team nowhere near the level of Philly/Toronto.

Keep in mind that Philly and TO are currently beating the shit out of each other, and then get a chance to face a well-rested, injury free club that plays a completely different style.

Tampa has played the Isles and the Habs, and sure they didn't have too much of a challenge, but they were good when they had to be. A lot of teams lack a killer instinct (Like the Bruins for one, and the Sharks ironically do right now). Tampa doesn't.

I just don't think they'll match up with an equally hot Flyers team, should Philly advance.

I am thinking on the completely opposite side here. I have maintained from the outset that the bad draw for the Flyers was Tampa. The Flyers simply do not have the speed to match up with Tampa. If the game gets physical then it will be all Philly, but I just don't see an outcome other that St.Louis skating wherever he wants. Especially with how ugly the next one or two Toronto games look like they might be (a game at Toronto coming off a 5 goal loss is going to be nasty).

I think that TB will skate into the Cup easily, especially if TO can force a game 7. Neither the Flyers or the Leafs have the speed to keep up with the Lightning, and that will hurt them (see the Bruins grabbing their ankles vs. the Habs as an example).

But, once TB gets to the Cup, they'll have to face a much faster Western Conference foe (most likely SJ or Calgary) and will have to play more than just a run-and-gun style. My bet is the Cup goes West once more.

To beat Tampa, Philly or Toronto will have to do what they're doing now - force the opponent against the boards and pound the crap out of them. Obviously, Tampa's got more speed than either team, so that probably means - unfortunately - a Trap variation to slow them down.

just some news and notes for Game 6 between Phili and T.O.

Ken Klee will out indefinitly with a "lower body" injury. It is probably the same injury early this season.

Robert Esche most likely to start in game 6, having flu like symptoms that saw Sean Burke in net, Phili will bring 3 goalies to Toronto just in case if Esche is feeling better.

Malakhov is questionable with dizziness from a hit in game five. If he does not play, Kappinen will play defence.

In the ESPINsider thing.

Of course, the title of the article was 'Why JErome Iginla needs to step up' which was pretty fucking obvious. So, it's more of a 'no shit' article system they have.

If Calgary scores than Joseph officially has the worst luck of any playoff goalie. From the Leafs not being able to score at all in the '02 Conference finals, to last year's sweep by Anaheim, to the last few games of this series, CBC showed some graphic that most of his last playoff losses have been by 1 goal and it was like 10 of 11 or something like that.

If Calgary scores than Joseph officially has the worst luck of any playoff goalie.  From the Leafs not being able to score at all in the '02 Conference finals, to last year's sweep by Anaheim, to the last few games of this series, CBC showed some graphic that most of his last playoff losses have been by 1 goal and it was like 10 of 11 or something like that.

I guess Joseph officially has the worst luck of any playoff goalie.

Still cant take anything away from Cujo though, he played a hell of a game, and if it were the regular season he would of scored himself a shutout, unfortunally for him it wasnt the regular season, but yeah one minute shy of 4 periods worth of not getting scored on is still nothing to be scoffed at

congrats to the Flames for taking my team out. I hope they go on to win it all because they sure as hell deserve it after knocking off two higher seeds in the first two rounds

Right now Im just proud of the little Canadian team that could. Or at least so far anyways. The question remains though, who will The Flames be up against in the next round? The Sharks or The Avalanche?

Either way Im rooting for The Flames.

Congrats to the Flames and their fans ... they've been on the outside looking in for so long, it's nice to see a good fanbase rewarded with a good playoff run. Can you imagine if the Leafs lose, leaving Calgary as the only CDN team in the conference finals? Talk about a long shot, I'd have guessed each other Canadian team was more likely to make it there than the Flames were.

And I agree with Angle is God ... Detroit is just too old and slow at this point. The lockout might be a blessing in disguise for them, as some of the older guns will probably hang up the skates and force them to go younger. And, in my opinion, they should fire Lewis. To go from Bowman to him is like losing a Lexus and picking up a Yugo.

Lewis just always looks confused.

Saw the highlights, and Calgary flat-out outplayed them. You could just see it in the extra step they had, finishing their checks, and creating traffic and pressure in front of CuJo.

CuJo will probably get a raw deal out of this, and end up traded or whatever. Fact is, that they treated him like shit for most of the year, with Hasek in net, sending CuJo to the minors, etc., while he pondered a buyout, and wondered each day if he'd be traded or not. Kudos to Curtis Joseph for being professional and doing his job.

Changes that I see:

Hull, Shanahan, Chelios, and maybe even Yzerman gone. They need an overhaul on offense. Draper, Maltby and Holmstrom were their most consistant players, and they are known more for defense than anything. Pavel Datsyuk needs to step up as well. Defensively, they'll be fine, as Lidstrom and Schneider give them one of the best pairings in the league. I'd keep CuJo, if I were them, although his play in the Calgary series could have made other teams turn their heads and contemplate a trade.

Guest hockeytown9321

Cujo's not going anywhere. Hull is defintely gone. Chelios and Shanahan are probably gone.

Key to the series was game 5. Detroit came out flat and played awful. They played pretty well last night, but couldn't buy a goal. Hats off to Calgary though, they played real well.

Detroit should move CuJo and just let Legace be the #1 goalie. Why have another year with a 30-something goalie that's eating $8-million of your salary? It's not like he's a proven winner (a la Brodeur or Roy) that's so much greater than the younger, less expensive option.

CuJo deserves to stay on this team, With all hes been through....the only way I see the wings trading Cujo is if another team wants him and they offer YOUNG players....well that would be the smart decision though they might still have to eat part of his contract maybe if they traded him.

Chelios,Thomas will defnitely retire

Hull and Shanny are maybes for retirement, but defnitely out of Detroit. the wings would be stupid to pick up Shannys option of 6.5 million. he is defnitely not worth it anymore. and Hull seems to be one of those players who always want another friken trophy but he should defnitely retire.

Stevie will probably return, he was plannin on returning before the surgary and I dont think that will change his mind. He will defnitely be wearing a visor next year.

Sign him for one year, let him finish the year off on a better note then the puck in the face as his last game. Playoffs or No Playoffs, Make sure he gets one last hurrah as a red wings similar to Gretsky and Messier did. he deserves it

Build the team around Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lang for offense and Lidstrom & Schiender and Hatcher for Defense.

Hull and Shanny are maybes for retirement, but defnitely out of Detroit. Hull seems to be one of those players who always want another friken trophy.

If he retires, and the CBC dumps Don Cherry, HNiC should pick up Hull - he'll probably be just as controversial, but without the slanderous comments about Euopeans...