TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

10 Contractors Being Held Hostage In Iraq

Arabic television station al-Jazeera has shown footage of three Japanese civilians it said were taken hostage by a previously unknown Iraqi group.

The group, called the Mujahideen Brigades, said it would kill the hostages unless Tokyo withdrew its troops from Iraq within three days.

Eight South Korean church ministers are also reported to have been seized by an unnamed Iraqi group.

And a British civilian went missing in the town of Nasiriya on Tuesday.

In its first reaction, Japan said it had no plans to withdraw the troops.

The BBC's Jonathan Head in Tokyo said the hostage-taking will be a "wrenching experience" for Japan.

It will put extreme pressure on Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, who took the decision to send the troops, despite the extreme misgivings of many Japanese citizens, our correspondent says.

Mr Koizumi has argued that the mission is necessary to bolster Japan's role in the international community.

Statement

A statement by the Mujahideen Brigades said Japan had betrayed Iraqis by backing the US occupation of Iraq.

"We tell you that three of your children have fallen prisoner in our hands and we give you two options - withdraw your forces from our country and go home or we will burn them alive and feed them to the fighters," it said.

"You have three days from the date of this tape's airing."

The TV said the hostages included a journalist and an aid worker.

South Korea's foreign ministry said one of the South Koreans had managed to escape.

It is not clear if the two incidents are linked.

Japanese concerns

Japan has sent 550 ground troops to Iraq on "a non-combat mission" to help rebuild the country.

Earlier on Thursday, Tokyo vowed to make no hasty decisions about its troops in the southern city of Samawa after explosions near their camp.

Concerns regarding the security of Japan's troops are high because critics argue Japan's constitution could be violated if the troops are drawn into combat.

Japan's constitution prohibits the use of force in international disputes, but the Japanese government argues the country is entitled to exercise self-defence and the troops will be able to return fire if they are attacked.

I know we aren't leaving because he have invested so much into this war. But seriously, why don't we send in a few bombers tp 'pacify' these fuckers?

Hope we can get the hostages out safe and sound, though.

Guest MikeSC
Wonder if Amnesty International will say anything about this?...

They never have before.

I say we simply storm in and kill the lot of them.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
And that's why you're not in any position of power.

Better to kill than to negotiate with those monkeys.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
'Bomb Them All'.

Isn't that what started all these problems in the first place?

Nope --- but it might go a long way in ending them.

-=Mike

...And, just to let some doubters know, stuff like this little uprising is why the search for WMD isn't exactly progressing rapidly.

Guest SideFXs

These incidents can only strengthen world resolve to kill terrorists. Except for France.

"No negotiations," says Japan. Yes!! I say let Japan have at the Mujahideen.

Guest MikeSC
Yes, bombing the entire place will surely go over well in the long run. :rolleyes:

At this point, "going over well" to a bunch of sub-human thugs is not a priority.

-=Mike

Am I hearing right?

Are these assholes now threatening to set these people ON FIRE??

That's it, storm in the SEALS and kill them all. Anyone who threatens to just set some poor capative ablaze deserves a bullet in the back of the head.

No talk, kill them.

Guest MikeSC
Am I hearing right?

That's it, storm in the SEALS and kill them all. Anyone who threatens to just set some poor capative ablaze deserves a bullet in the back of the head.

No talk, kill them.

Indeed. Heck, shoot them in a way to make the deaths MORE painful.

-=Mike

Am I hearing right?

No talk, kill them.

Indeed. Heck, shoot them in a way to make the deaths MORE painful.

-=Mike

Cut open their stomachs and let them bleed slowly to death on the floor.

And shoot a few of them in the groin and hip, right at the vein so they slowly bleed out.

But we can't do that cause that would make us no better than them. Show them mercy, single shot in the head.

Interesting that the nations currently being targeted by terrorists (such as Spain and now Japan) are those whose people aren't completely committd to the cause. If three American captives were taken, it would make the US public more vocal in wanting Iraq carpet bombed, but in Japan it's going to weaken the Presidents cause and turn public opinion even more against their troops being in Iraq.

If this is any part of a plan, then it's fucking genius on their part.

Guest MikeSC
Interesting that the nations currently being targeted by terrorists (such as Spain and now Japan) are those whose people aren't completely committd to the cause. If three American captives were taken, it would make the US public more vocal in wanting Iraq carpet bombed, but in Japan it's going to weaken the Presidents cause and turn public opinion even more against their troops being in Iraq.

If this is any part of a plan, then it's fucking genius on their part.

Spain: This is what capitulation leads to. They are going to try this with every country involved (and if the hubbub here gets worse, they'll start doing this to American soldiers).

Edit: 2 Americans have been taken. Yes, people like Robert Byrd and Ted ennedy are partially responsible with their irresponsible rhetoric.

-=Mike

'Bomb Them All'.

Well, I'd be all for it if I even remotely thought it'd solve the long-term problems. To be honest, I doubt it would.

If anything, something like that would only gain America more enemies...not least if it's botched, and vast amounts of innocent civilians are killed. The last thing America needs is enemies.

I'm all for getting rid of the enemy, but bombing Iraq would do much more than just that.

If anything, something like that would only gain America more enemies...not least if it's botched, and vast amounts of innocent civilians are killed. The last thing America needs is enemies.

I hate this argument, and I'm not directing this just at you but everyone who uses this weak, pandering excuse. THEY ALREADY HATE US! Ok! They're not going to hate us "worse" or "less" by our actions! Our enemies want us dead. Nothing we do will make them back off, except taking the fight right to them. As for our allies, our true allies will stick with us because they know what we're fighting for, and we don't need to pander to those who aren't committed to it anyway.

As Mike would say: "Let's give them hugs! Then they'll like us!"

Guest MikeSC
'Bomb Them All'.

Well, I'd be all for it if I even remotely thought it'd solve the long-term problems. To be honest, I doubt it would.

I'm all for getting rid of the enemy, but bombing Iraq would do much more than just that.

How in the world can we make them hate us more? Will they spontaneously split in two and have two psychos for every one?

You know, if the Muslim community ever wants to shed this whole "You're a terrorist" image --- a few might be willing to go on TV and say, without any other issues brought up, that this bad.

But they don't. They never have.

-=Mike

You know, if the Muslim community ever wants to shed this whole "You're a terrorist" image --- a few might be willing to go on TV and say, without any other issues brought up, that this bad.

I've seen it up here, but certainly not in the US.

Guest MikeSC

God knows I've looked. EVERY time it's "Well, they shot at a mosque" (of course, they were shooting at troops from the mosque) or "Israel does worse to Palestinians".

You know, Catholics had no problem saying that their church's covering up of child molestation was wrong. No equivocation. No justification. Just, flat out, "That is wrong".

I don't expect Muslims over there to say anything, thanks to the lynch mob mentality that seems to be so prevalent in that part of the world.

But they won't say a word against it HERE.

If you are a "religion of peace" --- then act like it for once.

-=Mike

God knows I've looked. EVERY time it's "Well, they shot at a mosque" (of course, they were shooting at troops from the mosque) or "Israel does worse to Palestinians".

You know, Catholics had no problem saying that their church's covering up of child molestation was wrong. No equivocation. No justification. Just, flat out, "That is wrong".

I don't expect Muslims over there to say anything, thanks to the lynch mob mentality that seems to be so prevalent in that part of the world.

But they won't say a word against it HERE.

If you are a "religion of peace" --- then act like it for once.

-=Mike

I live like 15 minutes from Dearborn, Michigan, which is like the highest concentration of Middle Eastern people outside of the Middle East, and a good amount of these people are Muslim. All of the Middle Eastern Muslim people I know are quality upstanding people who deplore alot of the horrible things that these terrorists are doing all around the world in the name of "Allah", so from my observations the people I know that are Muslim are very peaceful so don't put all of them into one bag, I do know thats hard with all the radical shit that a relatively small number of Muslims do.

Guest OctoberBlood

Thank you Japan Goverment for doing the right thing and staying. I'm glad to hear they were released.

I live like 15 minutes from Dearborn, Michigan, which is like the highest concentration of Middle Eastern people outside of the Middle East, and a good amount of these people are Muslim. All of the Middle Eastern Muslim people I know are quality upstanding people who deplore alot of the horrible things that these terrorists are doing all around the world in the name of "Allah", so from my observations the people I know that are Muslim are very peaceful so don't put all of them into one bag, I do know thats hard with all the radical shit that a relatively small number of Muslims do.

PRIVATELY, sure the good majority don't approve, but how many speak out? How many actually condemn suicide bombings let alone without adding some critisism of Israel or America to somehow share blame? How many mosques leaders basically preach hate? Not one prominent Muslim leader has stood up, taken a public role and flat out condemned the radicals without making any other excuses or pointing blame anywhere else in the next breath. It's like they don't want people to think they're "bad Muslims" but criticizing the monkeys of the lot, which does nothing to help their public image...

Iraqui's don't even want Americans there and they are showing that with their actions. YES they are happy Saddam is gone, but only because it gives them freedom to act like the degenerate jackasses they are. These people are completely uncivilized and needed a Dictator like Saddam to keep them under some control. Now that we took the bastard out of power the people have nobody to fear, therefore they do whatever they want now. These are nothing but animals that were let out of their cages.

Ever think that maybe this part of the world NEEDS Dictators for the people to fear to keep them from doing the things they are doing right now?

Ever sit and think about how rediculous these people really are? They think Americans are evil, and nothing we do is going to change their minds, they do not have the capacity to do such radical things. They believe their "god" is infallible and their "god" says western civilization is evil and must be destroyed.

Kepp in mind when this "war" started Iraqi leaders insisted they they would be victorious, and each and every day they kill 2-8 American soldiers. Eventually that adds up, and our "troops" AKA your children, are sitting ducks in a giant sandy death trap, and your president is responsible for it.

Just Nuke the whole Mid-East for all I care, they are all nothing but Animals and they show that with all their actions for hundreds of years. SO it might hurt America's reputation around the rest of the world, big deal. Nothing different from what they think of us right now anyways.

If three American captives were taken, it would make the US public more vocal in wanting Iraq carpet bombed

Right now, if the American people wanted Iraq carpet bombed, it would be only so they could get the troops out of there. And only if they weren't obligated to pay for some "rebuilding" bill when the place is a pile of rocks.

To say that the public is "committed to the cause" right now is kind of loopy.

And I have personally talked to many Muslims who disagree with these and other dispicable tactics used overseas. Maybe you haven't gone and tried to talk to any, Mike?

I think the people saying "they already hate us, what does it matter if they hate us more?" are missing the point. This war is hurting many peoples opinions of America throughout the world, including most of Western Europe. Basically, the longer this war goes on without Iraq getting sorted out, the more worldwide opinion of America will decrease.