TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Saved By The Bell Questions That You Asked

The original show was entitled "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" and was supposed to be about a teacher and her students. They didn't make the gang (and moreso, Zack) the focal point until the NBC switchover.

They never explained why Belding named the duck Becky. Maybe it was just one of those "cute" things.

Misss Bliss was a decent character if only because she had a brain and didn't take shit from the kids. And devoting stories around her kept the plots rather grounded as opposed to the out of control, fuck realism plots of SBTB...

Maybe I didn't like it because I saw the high school episodes before I saw the Miss Bliss episodes. I liked them when they were older, so the Miss Bliss ones didn't do anything for me.

I remember my Mom talking about how she liked Hayley Mills, Miss Bliss, because she was in some show or movie that she liked a lot. I can't remember what though.

Wasn't the original (forgotten) idea of the series supposed to be about the teacher (Miss Bliss) rather than the students (Zach and co.)?

Yes it was. It was supposed to be how Miss Bliss taught kids a life lesson each episode and the problems she had with Belding.

The show was on Disney, I believe, then got moved to NBC.

Zack might correct me on this, though.

EDIT:Well, he beat me too it.

Yes, it was on Disney. The movie Mole's mom probably loved was The Parent Trap, which was also a Disney movie (hence the Mills/SBTB connection).

I always like the older eps better. I tend to favor the "older era" of those too (junior/senior year, the Malibu Sands eps, etc.) moreso than the earlier ones (like when Screech was thought to be an alien, Kevin the Robot, etc.).

Did the boys think they were cool dancing in their underwear when they broke the Elvis statue?

Since they were ripping off "Risky Business" in that episode, probably so.

I enjoyed some of the Miss Bliss episodes...

the stock market one

the one with that teenybop singer

and of course...the practical joke episode. Best damn ending.

Of the high school years...man...it's kinda sad how many times I saw all the episodes cause they were run all the damn time. The oil episode is one of the tops for me, as is graduation, being stuck in the mall, and for some odd reason...the Casey Kasem Dance Off...or any episode involving Kasem for that matter (Zack Attack 4 Life, yo)

Why didn't Tori get to graduate with everybody else? And how did she never meet Kelly and Jessie?

OK, the real-life thing was the contracts running out, but they couldn't they at least have tied everything together?

Were the SBTB movies any good?

Pretty silly (especially Wedding In Las Vegas), but I enjoyed 'em (duh).

And Zack's parents were seperated in the Ms. Bliss years, not in the TNBC continuity. He had a different actor playing his dad in the Ms. Bliss ep and all. Once they got bought by NBC that continuity went out the window.

TAT imo was at her best during the Las Vegas wedding.

Zack's originial dad was the Captain on ChiPS. I remember him dating Miss Bliss.

Heh, I liked the mall episode as well. Hidden camera show...whodda thought?

Rando, those also tops my favorite lists. Those and the rafting ep with Belding's bro. I was heartbroken when Mr. B just dropped those brochures in the trash can.

I thought Good Morning Miss Bliss originally had nothing to do with SBTB, I believe I remember seeing a clip with a young Brian Austin Greene as the smartass/geek of the class. The show flopped, and then they made SBTB with Haley Mills.

I always wondered why there was no asian people. I'm not complaining I'm just saying there was like no asians at all.

I sem to remember an Asain girl has backround character. Could be mistaken though.

I always wondered why there was no asian people. I'm not complaining I'm just saying there was like no asians at all.

It wasn't exactly a concern with Peter Engel shows. They've had two Asian females (Jennie Kwan from California Dreams and that one from One World) and I have no idea what Al(?) from City Guys was - he was either Hispanic or Filipino but I could never figure it out.

And here's one: Wasn't Becky Belding also Miss Bliss' friend from Season 0?

In high school, there was always a rumor that Dustin Diamond was Mike D(iamond)'s (from the Beasties) brother... I still wonder... is it true?

Nope, I found that out last week actually.

On TBS they have the earlier episodes, from season 1 I am guessing and I don't really like them. I think I'm just going to get season 3-4 on DVD.

And Scott Wolf (Party of Five, Go) is in some episodes, I remember he worked at the Max.

In high school, there was always a rumor that Dustin Diamond was Mike D(iamond)'s (from the Beasties) brother... I still wonder... is it true?

Nope, I found that out last week actually.

On TBS they have the earlier episodes, from season 1 I am guessing and I don't really like them. I think I'm just going to get season 3-4 on DVD.

And Scott Wolf (Party of Five, Go) is in some episodes, I remember he worked at the Max.

Don't forget Tori Spelling as Violet, Leah Remini (King of Queens) as Stacy Carosi during the Malibu Sands Beach Club eps, and in the final Sands ep, the girl who fakes drowning to hook up with Slater is Denise Richards.

Scott Wolf was in the Glee Club. LOL. And wasn't the hot blonde teacher chick from Bill Madison, the girl who played the bimbo that took a more noticeable role in the Torrie eps?

Guest Sturgis
Did the boys think they were cool dancing in their underwear when they broke the Elvis statue?

They might have been drunk/tipsy/drinking or high/buzzed.

IIRC there was a male and female BGR characters that were asian.

Here's a question. Whatever happened to Zack's mutant power to freeze and unfreeze time by yell in time out and time in? He mainly used it in the first season and stopped doing it for the rest of the shows run. Cept for the ep in senior year ep were they had the video yearbook.

And what else did Zack do with this power besides talk to the TV folks. Did you use it to rob banks or undress hot cheerleaders?

the girl who fakes drowning to hook up with Slater is Denise Richards.

I remember how awful an actor that girl was. Guess somethings don't change.

Here's a question. Whatever happened to Zack's mutant power to freeze and unfreeze time by yell in time out and time in? He mainly used it in the first season and stopped doing it for the rest of the shows run. Cept for the ep in senior year ep were they had the video yearbook.

If memory serves me correct, he still used it during the later years.

And what else did Zack do with this power besides talk to the TV folks. Did you use it to rob banks or undress hot cheerleaders?

I always wanted him to do something sweet with his powers. I would have gone into the girls locker room once Kelly was undressing or something perverted like that.

And Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster) was also in an episode. I believe it was the one where she uses Screech somehow and pretends to be his girlfriend.

Aww Punky Brewster, I miss that show. Why can't any stations show that?

Guest MissMattitude

I loved SBTB. I have never seen any of the Miss Bliss episodes though.

Did anyone like The New Class(es) or The College Years. I didn't mind the first New Class but I hated it after that. I didn't mind The College Years though.

Did anyone like The New Class(es) or The College Years. I didn't mind the first New Class but I hated it after that. I didn't mind The College Years though.

The first two seasons of The New Class were, quite frankly, bad. Season 1 was a bunch of Coys and Vances except for Vicki Needleman in place of Jessie, and she wasn't exactly likeable. Season 2 was better, but the Swiss guy was still in the Zach "wacky scheme and trying to get the girl" mold. Season 3 was actually a pretty decent one because the Bayside/Valley merge gave us some friction. The last couple of seasons were actually pretty good after jettisoning Tommy D and whatshername.

The College Years illustrated the problems of having a kids sitcom and trying to get an adult audience to like it. Lots of problems there, starting with accepting Zach, Kelly, Slater and Screech in more serious, more adult-like situations. Actually, I've only accepted Marc Gosselar as a "serious, adult" actor since he started on NYPD Blue and was that gay-for-pay character on Law and Order.

I enjoyed The College Years, but agreed, it was tough to go from "sweet and innocent Kelly Kapowski" to "sleeping with her teacher" Kelly Kapowski. Funny you mention NYPD Blue, because my parents love that show and always told me to watch it, and I never caught it until the last few years when Mark-Paul had joined up.

I did NOT like the first New Class, with Scott Erickson, "Weasel", etc. Too much of a copycat of the original (tough guy and prep fighting for girl, nerd in love with the black girl, etc.) The second one was OK, with Brian, Bobby and Rachel joining up. The third season is probably when people were able to get into the characters more, as instead of "hey, I've always been at Bayside, you just never saw me!" they gave the storyline of the Valley transfers needing to fit in with the rival school. Ryan Parker was probably the best, most fleshed out character in the entire New Class run. Then you had them evolve on the "stepbrother from New York" storyline that they did with Jesse, except this time it was Ryan's stepbrother Nicky, and he became part of the series. They also attempted to work out a long distance relationship between Ryan and Rachel (once she was off the show) as it gave an explanation for her not being there, rather than "oh the girl I've been dating for years just magically upped and moved away". I didn't like it much towards the end though, when they brought in that kid Tony, and the focal point of the show was mostly on Maria.

Also, The New Class is responsible for the only TNBC crossover, that being the Space Camp episodes with the Hang Time cast, where Mary Beth kissed Ryan (a flashback of this is shown in a Hang Time ep as well).

Guest Astro
Remember the show, "Out of this World" with Eevie. She could freeze time.....

Didn't Burt Reynolds do her Dad's voice on that show, or am I thinking of something else?