TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

OAO Kill Bill Vol. 2 Thread...

I must say, this movie has spawned some of my favorite lines ever.

Beatrix: You must be pretty good with that shotgun.

Karen: Not that I'd like to be at this range, but yeah, I'm a fuckin surgeon with the shotgun.

Bill:Have fun carrying buckets of water up and down this fucker.

Elle Driver: Gargantuan. You know I like that word Gargantuan. I so rarely have a chance to use it in a sentence.

Guest JMA
Did anyone read about Tarrantino thinking about possibly doing a a sequel or branch-off 3rd installment? It would be about Copperhead's daughter trying to get revenge on Beatrice, since afterall, she probably deserves it. And then that had me thinking that, that could eventually lead to Beatrice's daughter trying to get her revenge......wow this is a neverending circle of violence, LOL.

That's odd. I was thinking they could do a movie like that. I hadn't heard that the idea was being considered.

Personally, I'd like there to be a prequel. It could be called "Deadly Viper Assassination Squad" or something.

I could see an Elle Driver spinoff, considering there wasn't really an end to that fight scene...

And here's something my friends were talking about after the movie:

After the 5-Point Exploding Palm thing, why didn't Bill just stay in his seat? If that shit happened to me, I'd just have someone get me an electric wheelchair. Problem solved. I can understand the whole "you look ready" thing as in him finally paying for his sins, but fuck that, I would've just wheeled my ass around for the rest of my life.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

Spoiler
Yeah... for Budd... I was kind of pissed, but let's face it, they wanted Elle Driver to be the ultimate bitch. However god damn, props to Budd for pumping the bride full with that shit. When you think of it, I bet you Budd didn't trust her a damn bit, which probably explains the snake, I mean, it was one lightning fast strike and it did immediately paralyze. And if it wasn't for that... we wouldn't have got to see the eye battle... HA HA HA!!! 

While talking about being pissed with poisionous deaths... you'd think Pai Mei would have stopped teaching Elle after pulling her eye out... how did she get to poison him?

In response to above, I think it was the honorable thing to do for the movie... let's face it, there would be no turning back for Bill.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

awe bloody hell... how do you correct those spoiler tags, or can a mod do it?

Guest Flyboy
awe bloody hell... how do you correct those spoiler tags, or can a mod do it?

[ spoiler ] text

without the spaces in the first tag.

Guest wrestlingbs

Having a movie about the DiVAS, or just Bill, would rule. Even if the cast doesn't come back I'd pay to see an anime version.

Guest thebigjig
I must say, this movie has spawned some of my favorite lines ever.

Beatrix: You must be pretty good with that shotgun.

Karen: Not that I'd like to be at this range, but yeah, I'm a fuckin surgeon with the shotgun.

Bill:Have fun carrying buckets of water up and down this fucker.

Elle Driver: Gargantuan. You know I like that word Gargantuan. I so rarely have a chance to use it in a sentence.

my favorite line, is when Bill says that Bea could be a real cunt sometimes lol

I could see an Elle Driver spinoff, considering there wasn't really an end to that fight scene...

And here's something my friends were talking about after the movie:

After the 5-Point Exploding Palm thing, why didn't Bill just stay in his seat? If that shit happened to me, I'd just have someone get me an electric wheelchair. Problem solved. I can understand the whole "you look ready" thing as in him finally paying for his sins, but fuck that, I would've just wheeled my ass around for the rest of my life.

Because I think Beatrix would have just killed him anyway. She gave him the chance to walk to his own death, but I don't think she would have hesitated with the Hanzo sword for very long if he hadn't stood up and walked.

Bill knew he was beaten; she had come for her revenge, and maybe what Budd said to him towards the beginning of the film had begun to resonate: she deserved whatever revenge she could get.

I'm still not really sure what I thought of Vol. 2. I'm not going to say it was the best movie I've ever seen or anything, in fact I dunno if I even enjoyed it as much as Vol. 1.

There were certainly parts I liked a lot: Pei Mei, the 5 point death strike, the catfight in the trailer, Madsen being his usual bastard self, and Carradine as well.

I didn't really like the last half hour all that much though. Perhaps I would have had it had a real fight, but 20 mins. of rambling dialogue followed by 30 seconds of actual fight (leading up to the death of the ostensible main heel) was sorta.....weak. I've liked Tarantino's work in the past for the most part but I've always found his writing in man/woman conversations a bit lacking for some reason (think Willis and the French chick in Pulp Fiction).

Guest Vitamin X

I personally loved the movie right up until

Daryl Hannah's character's death. Everything after that became too cuddly, too mushy, too awwww how cute and wonderful she was reunited with her daughter and then Beatrix has a show of emotion.

Was her revenge all for love? I thought it was, you know, because they tried to KILL HER. The storytelling just absolutely lagged through the whole Bill/Beatrix part after Beatrix puts her daughter to bed. And, at this point, I had even wondered if that was going to be the end of the movie or what.. Since it was obvious Bill had taken care of her daughter through the past 4 years, how was she going to then still take vengeance out on him?

And maybe it was just me, but Carradine seemed maybe a bit too old for the film, or Uma too young. The gap in age between them seemed just too big to be taken seriously, however it does kind of shock you when you learn of their romance at the beginning of Volume 2.

I personally give it a 7/10 or a B- (A for everything up to the death of Elle, and a C- for everything afterwards).. Still a better movie than many of the other ones out there, I enjoyed Punisher much much more than this one though. I feel like Uma should get at least an Oscar nomination for her work in these movies though, definitely.

Wonderful movie that kept me entertained. The ending was well foreshadowed, not predictable as most people seem to think and much like the anime before the anime-esque fight in V1, the scenes with Pei Mei changed the fighting style, action and focus of the Elle Driver battle and really, the entire movie, to hand-to-hand.

I loved how they hinted at blinding Elle, less subtley with Bill's comments about Pei Mei hating snotty, blond hair blue eyed Americans, the flash backs, etc. And more subtley with Budd's comments about leaving Beatrix blind and for dead in a coffin, which in essence is what Beatrix did to Elle. That was, as Rick James might say, cold-blooded.

Budd as a character was sick and sadistic, but completely enjoyable. I felt sorry for his shitty job and was behind him in the convo with Bill ("That woman deserves her revenge and we deserve to die."). A great line that many have pointed out might be the reason Bill took his death the way he did. Only to find out he was the cruelest SOB around. Which just made Elle an even greater badass for what she did, while he dies.

The conversations btw. Bill/Bea were great in drawing out emotion and rounding out the characters. I'm sure that after I see it as a whole movie, I'll like it even more.

Guest JMA

Question:

Do we really know that Elle is dead? Sure, she had her eye ripped out and was alone in a trailer with a black mamba, but she still could've survived. She already survived having her other eye torn out. Of course, it's not like she'd be much of a threat now anyways.

Guest wrestlingbs
She's blind, beaten, bleeding profusely,in a trailer with a very poisonous snake, and stuck in the middle of no where without use of a car. Yeah, I'd say see's dead. But with Tarentino, you never know...

What the fuck is she going to do, use sonar to find Beatrix?

This movie, despite what you may claim, lacked the visuals of the first. The first film had some absolutely STUNNING visuals, like the final battle scene, featuring the stark contrast between the yellow biker outfit Uma was wearing and the pristine, white snow. Even in the club, when the power is cut off, you're treated to excellent visuals with the blue background. When she's driving through Tokyo, the background is seemingly alive with activity, and the colors leap out at you. The scene where GoGo is driving O-Ren around, the angle that Tarantino shot at affects the scene greatly.

Vol 2. featured nothing even close to that. The closest that it came was the fuzzy camera effect used during the Pai Me flashbacks. Other than that, there wasn't a whole lot of vivid imagery floating around, which was one of my favorite things about Vol. 1.

Not even the camera sinking from widescreen to a full screen ratio when Beatrix was buried alive...presumably to impress the condition of being trapped upon the audience They were there. I agree, not as many. But who cares, the plot was way better. Isn't that more important?

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think the plot was way better. That's a subject that's up for debate, however I feel the storytelling was much, much worse.

Couldn't they have found a way to keep up the pace and momentum of the movie while telling the necessary bits and pieces of the story told in the Bill/Beatrix exchange toward the end?

How was the storytelling lacking? I'd like to know what elements you didn't like. The movie slowed down because telling the story was more important than the action. In fact, the switch to hand-to-hand signified to me, that everything was moving towards a more person level as the story progressed. Since, you know, she was getting closer to killing Bill. That's why the ending makes sense to me.

It don't get much more personal than killing the father of your 4 year old daughter, after crossing Hanzsu's(sp?) and having him do a death march after the convoluted, but extremely cool looking, five point palm strike, that Bill's own master wouldn't even teach him.

Revenge is a dish best served cold and all that.

Not even the camera sinking from widescreen to a full screen ratio when Beatrix was buried alive...presumably to impress the condition of being trapped upon the audience They were there. I agree, not as many. But who cares, the plot was way better. Isn't that more important?

Plot is incredibly important...if it's a book. When I go to the theatre, I want to see something that draws me into the plot. You can be the greatest actor in the world, but I won't give two shits if it's some dull, drab background shot with nothing that catches you eye. That's why he's Quentin Tarantino, DIRECTOR, not Quentin Tarantino, AUTHOR.

And before you jump on me, yes, I know he writes all of his own films. That's not what I'm getting at. You need to have the two elements mix together, so that people will come for the visuals, but stay for the plot. Tell me that in Volume 1, when O-Ren and The Bride face each other, when The Bride first opens that sliding door, you didn't lose your breath. The first film was absolutely beautiful from a visual perspective, while this one feature a lot of dull colors.

The transistion from a wide-screen to full ratio isn't really anything to cream your jeans over, either.

I was taught by George Lucas.

Look, when you watch the trailer for a movie, do you say, "Holy fuck, that plot looks like it'll be incredibly deep and thought-provoking!", or do you say, "That looked fucking badass?"

I was taught by George Lucas.

Look, when you watch the trailer for a movie, do you say, "Holy fuck, that plot looks like it'll be incredibly deep and thought-provoking!", or do you say, "That looked fucking badass?"

depends on the type of movie really.

Guest OctoberBlood

I'll be able to check it out late tonight or tomorrow, woo. Can't wait.

Yeah, I'm slow.

JSYK, do you like monster truck rallies? That's just the impression I'm getting, that stories don't really matter. Plot is only important in a book...huh? You can have all the visuals and style in the world, but if the plot isn't there, the movie is going to suffer, and badly. Yes, there ARE lots of times that I see a trailer and think, wow that looks like it will be a very well done movie. Some recent examples would be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind and Big Fish. Big Fish also had the visuals, but it was the heart and plot that made the movie what it was.

Look, I like visuals as much as the next guy, but to say it's more important that plot? I highly doubt you're going to find a lot of support for a statement like that.

Nice of you to gloss over the part where I said "YOU NEED THE TWO ELEMENTS TO MIX TOGETHER." The first film was heavy on visuals, light on plot, this film was light on visuals, heavy on plot.

And as far as the "plot only matters in a book"...there's no visuals in a book. Mental imagery is all that you get there. As a book, Kill Bill Vol. 2 would be a best seller, however, as a film, the images don't translate to the screen very well. The film has it's flaws, it doesn't make you a lesser person to say it. The images were dull. Drab. Not interesting.

"Oooh, a desert. Look at all the dirt. Ooh, Bill's house. Look at all the....stuff." There wasn't anything in this one that jumped out and grabbed your attention, you were meant to focus entirely on the plot. I suppose if you want to pretend that I'm not saying the plot was excellent, that's your perogative.

There were SOME things though. It wasn't like it was drably shot, nothing at all to look at. If you didn't like the plot, fine, totally acceptable. But to say that the style completely disappeared is insane. It's the same movie! I am totally agreeing with you that there was more style in Vol. 1, but I think that this was a better movie because it made me care about the characters. Now, if you prefer your movies with tons of style and characters that don't mean anything, that's your perogative.

I hear Godzilla (2000) is an excellent movie if you view it that way.

Guest JMA

I'll admit to liking Volume One better for all the mark-out stuff (the fight scenes, O-Ren's anime origin, Gogo, ect). Still, Volume Two is good in its own right. Put together, the complete film is brilliant.