TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Looking through the game log, I spot two. Tosca attempted 13 all last season. I can live with it. The sacrifices occured in extra innings, where one run will win the game. So in that situation, a sacrifice is acceptable.

Guest OctoberBlood

"I'm fine," Freel said after the game. "It's throbbing and it's sore behind my ear, but I took some X-rays and connected some dots for the doctor. I wasn't unconscious. I was a little dizzy for a while, but I think I'll be fine."

Whew. :)

Guest Anglesault

And the Yankees keep their streak of staring as flyballs hit the floor.

Guest Anglesault

Why do the Yankees even bother coming to the park? They clearly don't want to be there.

Matt Clement has been totally lights out through five, striking out 10, walking one and giving up no hits. What's even more impressive is the fact that the wind is blowing straight out at Wrigley and the Mets have only gotten two balls out of the infield. If Clement could pitch anywhere close to this all of the time, he'd be a likely candidate for the number 2 slot.

Jake Westbrook of the Indians pitched seven perfect innings (21 up, 21 down) of emergency relief last week and what does he do today? Pitches a one hitter. The one hit was a homerun and he gave up an unearned run later but one hit in 16 innings is damn impressive.

Guest Anglesault

This fucking disaster of a team has Hudson, Mulder and Zito coming up.

Seven game losing streak, here we come.

Guest FrigidSoul

Red Sox sweep the Yanks! They're now 6-1 against the Yankees this season

Clement is through six without allowing a hit. If he gets through the next inning, we'll be getting quite serious about a possible no-hitter. Of course, regardless if he gets it or not, this has been an incredible performance so far, as thanks to his pitching and a good performance from Leiter, this has been a pitchers duel, even though it was expected to be a slugfest.

Garcia hit a homerun. There goes the no-no.

Heh. Exactly how I was going to say it. Oh well, if had to be anyone, I wish it would've been Piazza since I've got him on my fantasy squad and he's K'd three times. Now it's important to just get through this one and get the win. With Clement breaking 100 pitches and the no-no gone, he should be done after this inning.

A's offense: draw walks, then let the pitcher off the hook.

Freddy Garcia, Ryan Franklin, and Jarrod Washburn all had terrible control when they faced the A's this week and gave the A's tons of chances but they scored a total of three runs off them. Not advocating they just starting swinging at everything as that would do no good but can't anyone on this team hit with a runner in scoring position besides Dye? This is the same problem they had last year. First inning today against the god awful Ramon Ortiz, draw three walks but don't score a run. Arrrrrrrgh.

Guest Anglesault
A's offense: draw walks, then let the pitcher off the hook.

Freddy Garcia, Ryan Franklin, and Jarrod Washburn all had terrible control when they faced the A's this week and gave the A's tons of chances but they scored a total of three runs off them. Not advocating they just starting swinging at everything as that would do no good but can't anyone on this team hit with a runner in scoring position besides Dye? This is the same problem they had last year. First inning today against the god awful Ramon Ortiz, draw three walks but don't score a run. Arrrrrrrgh.

Sounds like the Yankees.

This series will be strange.

A's only get two runs off the terrible Ortiz in five innings (lowers his ERA to 9.77) and it bites them in the ass as Tim Salmon hits a three-run homer to put the Angels up 4-2. A's haven't been swept at home in almost two years. Not a good thing to be getting swept at home against what appears to be their only competition in the division and when they are in a ridiculous 16 out of 19 game road stretch to be swept in the only home series.

Guest Anglesault
A's only get two runs off the terrible Ortiz in five innings (lowers his ERA to 9.77) and it bites them in the ass as Tim Salmon hits a three-run homer to put the Angels up 4-2. A's haven't been swept at home in almost two years. Not a good thing to be getting swept at home against what appears to be their only competition in the division

This really is the unhittable force meeting the unmovable bats next series, huh?

Durazo misses hitting a pinch-hit tying homerun in the 9th by about two feet and the A's are swept at home the first time in 48 series. *off to do his Billy Beane impression and throw a chair through a wall*

A's only get two runs off the terrible Ortiz in five innings (lowers his ERA to 9.77) and it bites them in the ass as Tim Salmon hits a three-run homer to put the Angels up 4-2. A's haven't been swept at home in almost two years. Not a good thing to be getting swept at home against what appears to be their only competition in the division

This really is the unhittable force meeting the unmovable bats next series, huh?

Yep. But the A's have better pitching.

For those who aren't aware, Dontrelle Willis is pitching on national TV tonight on ESPN against the Braves. I know a few of you want to watch him pitch (such as Frigid).

Hopefully the ERA stays 0.00.

I had to have tickets for the O's worst showing of the season. The offense was mostly dead (but of course we're facing the reigning AL Cy Young), and the pitching was just not doing anything right. O well. I'm 0-2 in live O's games.

As for the Yankees, as wonderfully tickled as I am to see the Yankees struggling to maintain respectability, I really wish they could have cooled down the Red Sox since the O's 2 losses, combined with Boston's 2 wins have left Baltimore in 2nd place. O well, try again tommorow...

Looking through the game log, I spot two. Tosca attempted 13 all last season. I can live with it. The sacrifices occured in extra innings, where one run will win the game. So in that situation, a sacrifice is acceptable.

Sac bunts only make sense when there is a runner on second and no outs. A fly ball, ground ball, wild pitch/passed ball, balk, squeeze play, etc.. could all et the guy home. Moving a guy to second is foolish in virtually any instance (pitcher batting or a really bad hitter (Pokey Reese) would be those instances).

I tend to agree with AS. The Yanks really look like they don't want to be there. ON Sat, with two outs in the 12th, down by a run, what does Jeter do? Take a pitch or two? No, he weakly swings at the first pitch and grounds to short. Today, Giambi did pretty much the same thing with one out in the 9th.

The Yankees have done a very good job of embarrassing themselves this year. They get two very good starts in the last two days and are playing a team that isn't hitting with RISP (0 for 13 or something Sat) and don't capitalize at all. The Yanks of the last few years would have taken 2/3 in the same circumstances. It's really wierd. This has really gone beyond a simple slump for them. They have one player who is hitting .300, Cairo who only has 10 ABs. Jeter is hitting .175 in 80 ABs! And is hitless in his last 25. That's really bad. Plus they're kicking the ball all over the field.

Hopefully this poor play continues for about the next 5 months.

Sac bunts only make sense when there is a runner on second and no outs. A fly ball, ground ball, wild pitch/passed ball, balk, squeeze play, etc.. could all et the guy home. Moving a guy to second is foolish in virtually any instance (pitcher batting or a really bad hitter (Pokey Reese) would be those instances).

I disagree. Moving the runner from second to third adds situations which are marginal at best. They are certainly not likely enough to warrent giving up an extra chance to gather a hit, in my opinion. Moving the runner from first to second is a better option. But usually I'd rather not see sacrifices at all.