TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The Mini-camp/Preseason NFL Thread

Figure start this thread since we are nearing the preseason and there is going to be a lot of mini-camp news, position battles, injuries, contracts and such.

Various news:

Steelers Irked as Burress is a no-show

With his agent insisting his absence was a personal matter and not tied to efforts to land a contract extension, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress has opted to skip a mandatory weekend minicamp, a move that has irked team officials.

Burress, a four-year veteran, missed the Friday practices and agent Scott Parker informed Steelers executives his client would not attend the Saturday and Sunday sessions either. Burress is entering the final season of the five-year contract he signed as the Steelers' first-round choice in the 2000 draft, and has been unsuccessful to this point in eliciting an offer for an extension from the club.

Parker insisted that Burress' decision to go AWOL -- believed to be the first time that a Steelers player under contract skipped a mandatory minicamp during the 13-year tenure of coach Bill Cowher -- was unrelated to contract difficulties. "Nothing about his contract was mentioned in my discussions with him (Thursday)," Parker said.

The Steelers had 85 other players on hand for the minicamp, including at least two other starters entering the final season of their respective contracts. Neither Burress nor Parker discussed the matter with Cowher. Instead, Parker informed Kevin Colbert, director of football operations, that Burress planned to skip the workouts.

It was suggested that Burress is depressed because Sunday is Mother's Day, and his mother passed away unexpectedly about this time two years ago.

Steelers officials, though, weren't buying into excuses and clearly feel that Burress is attempting to pressure them to the bargaining table. Since he is under contract, the club has the prerogative to fine Burress for missing the minicamp.

The former Michigan State standout is scheduled to earn a base salary of $535,000 for the 2004 season. He is due two roster bonuses totaling $580,400, and incentives that could push his overall compensation to roughly $2 million.

But with Burress coming off a disappointing 2003 season, one in which he caught 60 passes for 860 yards and four touchdowns, Pittsburgh has opted not to begin negotiations on an extension. Unless there is an extension, Burress, 26, will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring.

In 2001-2002, it appeared Burress was developing into one of the NFL's most dangerous deep threats. He totaled 144 receptions for 2,333 yards and 13 touchdowns in a two-year stretch and his unusual size (6-feet-5, 226 pounds) and speed made him a tough matchup for opposition secondaries.

Beyond a drop in production, Steelers officials remain concerned about Burress' seeming penchant for off-field difficulties.

The weekend minicamp represents the only mandatory full-squad sessions for Pittsburgh before training camp in July and Burress had been at the team's complex working out in recent weeks, with no hint of his plans to not attend.

While the Steelers have opted not to discuss Burress' contract, negotiations have begun with starting quarterback Tommy Maddox on a restructuring to enhance his deal. Under his current contract, Maddox is scheduled to earn a base salary of just $750,000 for the 2004 season. A deal with Maddox likely can't be consummated until next month, when the cap-strapped Steelers can create some spending room, in part by releasing linebacker Jason Gildon, who was excused from the weekend minicamp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1797695

Niners' Rattay suffers "serious" groin tear

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers got bad news Friday evening when a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed quarterback Tim Rattay has a serious groin injury that may require surgery.

Rattay is being groomed to take over as San Francisco's starter from Jeff Garcia, who was released this spring in a salary-cap move. The fifth-year player was injured earlier Friday while rolling out to throw a pass during the opening session of the Niners first spring minicamp.

"The preliminary word is that he's had a serious tear of the upper groin area," Niners general manager Terry Donahue said late Friday. "And it will be a substantial amount of time that he's going to miss."

Donahue said team doctors will take a closer look at the injury this weekend and then discuss with Rattay and team officials whether to operate. Either way, Rattay should be ready for the season's start, according to Donahue, though he added that "Unquestionably, there's going to be a significant amount of time that's going to be involved with this injury."

Rattay is backed up by second-year player Ken Dorsey and third-year veteran Brandon Doman.

Dorsey "will take over the reps of the No. 1 spot," Donahue said.

Rattay went 2-1 in his first three career starts last November when Garcia was out with an ankle injury. His passer rating of 96.6 and completion percentage of 61.9 were the best figures on the team last year.

But Rattay has thrown only 164 passes in four NFL seasons and the next four months are vital to his development.

"It's unfortunate for all of us, especially for Tim, because he's worked very hard and came into camp in great shape," Donahue said.

The Niners will wait to learn the severity of Rattay's injury before deciding whether to bring in an experienced quarterback as insurance.

The team only has about $1.3 million of cap room and limited ability to free up more room. That would mean they would have to convince Kerry Collins, Kordell Stewart, Jeff Blake or whoever to sign for close to the league's minimum salary. Another consideration would be Kurt Warner in June when he's cut by the Rams.

Aside from Rattay, the 49ers don't have a quarterback on their roster who has thrown a pass in an NFL game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1797528

49er's Peterson a no-show at mini-camp

SAN FRANCISCO -- All-Pro linebacker Julian Peterson was a no-show Friday at the opening session of the San Francisco 49ers' first spring mini-camp.

Peterson was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this year after enjoying his best pro season in 2003. The 49ers designated Peterson as their exclusive franchise player in February after talks broke down in contract negotiations with Peterson's agents, Kevin and Carl Poston.

Peterson said during an interview this week on NFL Total Access that he would not be attending the mini-camp because, "I have to try and work on my deal and stuff."

According to the NFL Players' Association, the salary for a franchise linebacker this season is $5.8 million. Peterson has not signed his tendered franchise offer from the team. NFL rules stipulate that negotiations with franchise players cannot resume until July 15.

The 49ers lost nine veteran starters during the offseason, leaving Peterson as perhaps the team's premier player and one of its most visible figures. He was named the winner of San Francisco's Len Eshmont Award last year, the team's top annual honor given for leadership and inspirational play.

Peterson earned his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl last season after recording 144 tackles and leading the 49ers with seven sacks and three forced fumbles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1797365

Guest Salacious Crumb

I have to say I was really impressed that Winslow showed up to the Browns minicamp. I figured he wouldn't step on the field till at least August.

Manning looked pretty so-so. Hope the Giants enjoy handing that top 5 pick over to the Chargers next season.

Michael Boulware looked okay as a SS when he lined up in the right position as opposed to creeping up to the line in a LB stance.

I think he will turn out well.

If you listen to reporters who went to Steeler's camp it's almost scary to watch the Steeler's offense without Burress. They have Randle El as their #2 reciever and Lee Mays as #3. Not a good situation for a rookie QB. I guess Burress said he plans on being in camp soon though regardless of contract, wouldn't be a bad idea on his part to just not show up until they talk contracts with him though.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Cowher has made it pretty clear that he has no intention of playing Big Ben next year.

Quincy Carter - Drew Henson in Dallas.

While I support Quincy, and think he hasn't reached his potential yet, Jerry & Comp. aren't sold on him anymore. Henson is obviously a big threat to Carters job.

Guest Choken One

Palmer/Kitna.

If Palmer screws up one game...Cincy will be screaming for Kitna.

I have to say I was really impressed that Winslow showed up to the Browns minicamp. I figured he wouldn't step on the field till at least August.

Manning looked pretty so-so. Hope the Giants enjoy handing that top 5 pick over to the Chargers next season.

I am not too shocked, these erly camps are very vital for the players to learn the plays early on, and showing up early shows a commitment to the coaches, they know the business side which will occur towards training camp. (Contracts)

Most teams provide insurance for their first and second round picks.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Oakland has a battle between Gannon and Tuiasosopo. This could get even more interesting as it is heavily rumoured that Kerry Collins will eventually land in the Raider Nation.

Also noteworthy from the Raiders camp:

Rod Woodson is still injured and is still pondering retirement.

Charles Woodson is sitting out. Many don't think he'll even be at their training camp 2 months from now.

Robert Gallery is pushing everyone around and looks like he is living up to his billing.

Gannon's arm *supposedly* looks as good as it has in years. He is throwing the long ball really well. But take this as a rumour.

Quincy Carter reached his PEAK, during the first half of the 2003 season. Then after week 8 or so, he reminded us that, yes, this was Quincy Carter. They are taking a chance on Drew Henson, a big chance, so that obviously shows that they don't have confidence in Quincy.

At Skins camp, it is going to be a heated QB matchup between Ramsey & Brunell, with the local media so far saying both look really good in camp.

Also there seems to be a renewed atmosphere and a generally much better attitude that has formed since Gibbs has come back, especially since minicamp where the players got to experience first hand, what the Hall of Fame coach is like.

What you have to wait for is, Winslow to sign. His asshole Agents(The Poston brothers) are trying to drum the beat of, "well even though he was picked 6th, he was #1 on some teams draft sheet, so he should get #1 pick cash" LOL. In general the unwritten rule is that you take your draft pick and look at what last year's draft pick in the same # was paid, and you throw in a 10% increase. Yet the Postons are trying to say this should apply to Winslow because of the reasoning mentioned above.

Guest Flyboy
But...but... he's a soldier.

No, no, no.

He's a FUCKING soldier. Get it right.

Chicago it's all Grossman.

Yeah, have fun with that.

I don't like the 49ers, but I'm interested to see how Dorsey does as a starter (barring them bringing in someone else). I'm a 'Canes fan, so it'd be nice if Dorsey does well.

There are reports out of San Francisco that the 49ers have contacted Kordell Stewart and have started contract negotiations. Apparently, Dennis Erickson does not want to wait for June 1st to get a QB, because he wants the free agent to learn the playbook as quickly as possible.

Kordell in SF?? *Insert joke here* :P

Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings released a pair of veterans -- starting linebacker Henri Crockett and fullback Charles Stackhouse -- having determined in a weekend minicamp that both players were extraneous.

Minnesota is counting on younger linebackers to step into the lineup of a defense that ranked No. 23 statistically in the NFL in 2003. Thus, Crockett, who started in 15 games last season, was deemed expendable. The release of the seven-year veteran had been expected and the Vikings will recoup $850,000 in salary cap room.

Crockett, 29, had 54 tackles in 2003, starting mostly at the strongside linebacker spot. For his career, he has 310 tackles, 7½ sacks and one interception in 103 appearances and 88 starts. The former Florida State standout played the first five seasons of his career with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with Minnesota as a free agent in 2002.

Stackhouse, 24, is a two-year veteran, having begun his career with the New York Giants before moving to the Vikings last season. He has played in 30 games and started in five of them, with just one carry for no yards and 19 receptions for 118 yards.

More a traditional, lead-blocking fullback, Stackhouse was moved to H-back for the minicamp, but was victimized by the numbers game. The Vikings entered the camp with nine tight ends and signed one more, undrafted free agent T.J. Cottrell (son of defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell), over the weekend.

-- Len Pasquarelli, senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Cincinnati Bengals: A Bengals defense that ranked 24th against the pass in 2003 certainly won't lack for secondary coaches this year. The Bengals have hired former Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan, and he will aid in development of "nickel" packages and help break down film of opponents.

The Bengals already had two assistants in the secondary, Kevin Coyle and Lou Cioffi, and coordinator Leslie Frazier is a former NFL cornerback.

The highly-regarded Bresnahan, 43, was dismissed by the Raiders when the team fired head coach Bill Callahan after the '03 campaign.

A 10-year league veteran, Bresnahan has been with the Cleveland Browns (1994-95), Indianapolis Colts (1996-97) and the Raiders (1998-2003). He was the coordinator in Oakland during the 2000-2003 seasons. Bresnahan signed a one-year contract.

Denver Broncos: The Broncos offensive tackle corps will have a new look in 2004, as the club shuffles bodies to compensate for the departure of former starter Ephraim Salaam on the left side.

It was anticipated that veteran Matt Lepsis would move from the right to the left side, to replace Salaam, and that 2003 first-rounder George Foster would slide into the right tackle spot. But one move came as a surprise.

After 10 seasons as a tight end, Dwayne Carswell is moving to tackle. The move was first broached to Carswell following the draft and implemented at a weekend minicamp.

"He's always done a great job blocking for us at the tight end position," said coach Mike Shanahan. "We felt like we needed some depth at tackle and he's a really good athlete."

Carswell, 32, weighed in over the weekend at 292 pounds, about 25 pounds more than his playing weight at tight end. In 10 seasons at tight end, he had 168 catches for 1,506 yards and 12 touchdowns, playing in 141 games with 66 starts.

Denver still has six other tight ends on its roster.

San Francisco 49ers: General manager Terry Donahue confirmed over the weekend that the 49ers will release starting free safety Zack Bronson after June 1, when the team can soften the impact against its 2004 salary cap. A seven-year veteran who started in 12 games in 2003, Bronson was excused from the team's weekend minicamp.

By releasing Bronson after June 1, the 49ers will recoup $1.75 million in salary cap room. The 49ers are only $1.325 million under the cap and, with the groin injury suffered by Tim Rattay, now will need room to sign a veteran quarterback.

Bronson, 30, had 43 tackles, one interception and two passes defensed in 2003. For his career, he has 242 tackles, 19 interceptions and 30 passes defensed.

Four-year veteran Ronnie Heard, primarily a special teams player in the past, worked with the first unit over the weekend and will get first shot at the starting free safety job.

New York Jets: The Jets re-signed starting right tackle Kareem McKenzie on Monday.

McKenzie started every regular-season game from 2002-03. He has been a model of consistency as a starter, drawing just two penalties over the last two seasons (both in 2003).

He joined the Jets as a third-round pick out of Penn State in 2001.

The Jets also waived running back Chad Brinker.

-- The Associated Press.

Guest Salacious Crumb
I have to say I was really impressed that Winslow showed up to the Browns minicamp.  I figured he wouldn't step on the field till at least August.

Manning looked pretty so-so.  Hope the Giants enjoy handing that top 5 pick over to the Chargers next season.

What you have to wait for is, Winslow to sign. His asshole Agents(The Poston brothers) are trying to drum the beat of, "well even though he was picked 6th, he was #1 on some teams draft sheet, so he should get #1 pick cash" LOL. In general the unwritten rule is that you take your draft pick and look at what last year's draft pick in the same # was paid, and you throw in a 10% increase. Yet the Postons are trying to say this should apply to Winslow because of the reasoning mentioned above.

Yeah, his agents are mega-assholes. I was surprised he actually showed up because most of the guys his agents represent hold out on the training camps. But I figure he'll sign by at the 2nd or 3rd preseason game at the latest.

Warner to Giants?

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Two-time MVP Kurt Warner met with the New York Giants on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of becoming the veteran quarterback who competes with Eli Manning for the starting job.

"He had a great meeting," Mark Bartelstein, Warner's agent, said in a telephone interview. "It was very positive. He was impressed with everything."

Warner took a physical but didn't throw, Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said. While the Rams are letting Warner talk to other teams, he isn't allowed to throw for them.

Warner lost his starting job with the St. Louis Rams last season. The team gave him permission to shop himself, with the expectation that he would be released in a salary-cap move June 1.

Marc Bulger, who took over as the Rams' starting quarterback after the first game last season, was recently given a new long-term contract.

"We're going to take a deep breath and evaluate things," Bartelstein said.

Accorsi wouldn't discuss the meeting, other than to say it took place and that Warner took a physical.

The Giants face an interesting decision heading into Tom Coughlin's first season as coach.

Manning, the No. 1 pick in the draft, is the Giants' quarterback of the future. But they must decide whether to start him or let a veteran run the team, which is coming off a 4-12 season.

Kerry Collins, who led the Giants to the Super Bowl in 2001, would have been a perfect choice, but he refused to renegotiate a contract that was to pay him $7 million this season. The Giants released Collins last week.

Bartelstein said Warner has recovered from a concussion he sustained in a season-opening loss to the Giants.

"He's fine," said Bartelstein, who said last week that Warner would be willing to sign a one-year contract. "He's throwing every day in St. Louis."

Warner led the Rams to a Super Bowl victory in the 1999 season.

AP

Bengals re-sign RB Johnson

Restricted free agent tailback Rudi Johnson, coming off a 2003 season in which he wrested the starting job from Corey Dillon, re-signed Tuesday with the Cincinnati Bengals, landing a one-year contract for $1.824 million.

Johnson essentially agreed to the one-year "high level" qualifying offer the Bengals made him in early March to retain right-of-first refusal on the three-year veteran. Despite a breakout season, Johnson did not generate interest in the restricted market, likely because other teams felt Cincinnati would match any offer sheet.

The Bengals did not offer Johnson a multi-year deal over the past two months, although there remains a chance that a long-term contract could be negotiated at a later time. Johnson has indicated he would prefer a longer contract, but a few weeks ago he acknowledged such a deal wasn't likely, and said he would sign the qualifying offer.

The one-year deal creates a multitude of intriguing possibilities for both Johnson and the Bengals, since the tailback will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring.

Cincinnati officials were reluctant to offer a long-term deal to a player who has enjoyed just one big season, but if Johnson has another strong year in 2004 they could be inclined to handsomely reward him. On the flip side, if Johnson posts big numbers again, he might eschew any attempt by the Bengals to re-sign him before he reaches free agency and test his value on the open market.

Compounding the situation, the Bengals invested their first-round choice in this year's draft on a tailback, Chris Perry of Michigan, who was said to have been impressive in last weekend's minicamp.

Johnson, 24, appeared in just nine games his first two seasons and the former Auburn star logged only 17 carries for 67 yards. But he took advantage of an opportunity in '03, when Dillon was injured, started five games, and became the Bengals' top back by the end of the season.

He carried 215 times for 957 yards and nine touchdowns, all team highs, and became the first player in franchise history to post three games of 150-plus yards in one season. He also set a club mark for carries in a game, 43, against Houston on Nov. 9.

The emergence of Johnson, a fourth-round choice in the 2001 draft, helped enable the Bengals to trade Dillon to New England last month for a second-round draft choice.

AP

Jaguars' Darius ends holdout, attends camp.

Strong safety Donovin Darius participated in Jacksonville's offseason workouts for the first time this year on Monday, saying all the right things and suggesting he is excited to be back at work with his teammates.

Unhappy with the Jaguars' reluctance to make him a market-value proposal on a long-term contract, and with Jacksonville executives shopping him in trade talks, Darius had skipped the first several weeks of the program. But the six-year veteran huddled with coach Jack Del Rio on Monday morning and apparently resolved enough of their differences to end his absence.

"Jack has expressed that he wanted me here, and a person always wants to know they're wanted, and they appreciate the leadership values I bring to the team," Darius told the Florida Times Union. "I want to serve this organization by being the best player that I can be."

A first-round choice in the 1998 draft, Darius, 28, has been a fixture in the Jacksonville secondary since joining the team. The former Syracuse star has appeared in 87 games, all of them starts, and has 665 tackles, nine interceptions and two sacks. He started all 16 games in 2003, the third time he achieved that benchmark in his career, and ranked third on the team with 118 tackles.

Darius offered conciliatory rhetoric when asked about his contract Monday, terming "fair" his level of compensation, but there is little doubt his contract status contributed to his absence over the past several weeks.

Beyond that, it is no secret the Jaguars were trying to deal Darius, particularly around the time of last month's draft. It's believed Jacksonville was seeking a second- or third-round draft choice in return and, while Darius is viewed as a solid performer, no other franchise was willing to part with such a lofty pick for a player at a non-premium position.

In mid-March, Darius signed the one-year qualifying offer of $4.113 million for a franchise safety. It marked the second consecutive spring Darius signed the one-year franchise offer after the Jaguars failed to present him a multi-year deal that he felt was reflective of his importance to the team.

It is unlikely the two sides will come to an agreement on a long-term contract, and so Darius will earn his $4 million-plus this season, and probably move on next spring. He will be eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2004 campaign and, while the club could designate him a "franchise" player for a third straight year, that would be costly and probably isn't realistic.

So, in what figures to be his final season in Jacksonville, the hard-hitting Darius should help comprise one of the NFL's top safety tandems. The Jaguars signed former Carolina starting free safety Deon Grant and made several other acquisitions aimed at upgrading their secondary.

"Now is the time the team is developed," Darius said. "I had to have peace about it and make sure I didn't have any bitterness towards anybody. I want to become one of the strongest links on the team and a leader by example."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I wonder how NY would react to Warner being the starting QB. If he wins the job of course.

Willams failes 2nd drug test

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams faces a $650,000 fine following his second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, the Palm Beach Post reported Friday.

According to the report, Williams failed a drug test on Dec. 10, 2003. This follows a prior failed test soon after he arrived in Miami after being traded from the New Orleans Saints in May 2002.

When reached by the paper, Williams claimed his status with the league was clear.

"I'm in good standing with the NFL and the Dolphins," Williams told the Post.

Sources, however, told the Post that Williams appealed the fine for this latest apparent transgression at the NFL headquarters in New York City on April 16. Williams denied that his visit to NFL headquarters was related to a drug policy violation.

"There is no story here," he told the Post. "I was in New York a few weeks ago and I did visit the league headquarters. I guess that's how rumors get started. But I was just visiting friends in the city and I just decided to go in. I will be at training camp on Tuesday."

According to the report, the Post saw NFL documents that showed Williams' attorney, Gary Ostrow, had filed arguments with the league over the fairness of its drug testing policy. Williams reportedly scored a 15 on the league's testing scale -- the lowest score that would register as a positive test result and one that, according to the report, is consistent with occasional marijuana use. A second sample taken later on Dec. 10 scored a 14 -- a level that would not have warranted league action without an initial positive result, according to the Post.

"Ricky is pretty confident he's going to beat this thing," one source told the paper. "When he took the test, for example, he was dehydrated after exercising. Dehydration sometimes causes people who would be negative to test positive."

Dr. Gary Wadler, a New York University professor and doping expert, told the Post that he has never heard of dehydration being successfully used as a drug defense.

"Clearly, athletes will search every method they can, including analyzing each rule very precisely, the handling of the sample and the validity of the laboratory," Wadler said. "But marijuana is not a substance that occurs normally in the body and the only argument you can really make is passive inhalation. But for a cutoff above that level? You smoked. And you inhaled."

The Post reports that the NFL is expected to make a decision on Williams' appeal at the end of May.

Williams also denied to the paper that he is in a league intervention program stemming from a first positive test, but that stance is contradicted by one of the paper's sources.

"He was just weeks away from getting off the intervention program," one of the sources said. "Officially, he would have been off intervention on Super Bowl Sunday. He has tested negative more than 100 times before. But then, this thing happened. He now gets back into intervention for another two years."

Per the NFL's substance abuse policy, a third violation for Williams would result in a four-game suspension.