TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

TV shows that lost their "place in history"

-Ally McBeal

Sex & The City kind of took over the mantle as THE hour-comedy of the era when David Kelly's legal dram-comedy went straight to hell. It was supposed to usher in a "new era" for network TV, guess what, not SO MUCH!

-M*A*S*H*

Yeah it still ranks as one of the greats, but it became much more preachy and watered down as it dragged on, and on, and on, and on, and on...

-The West Wing

May be unfair to do this but this past season had been so dismal fans actually WANTED the show to be put out of its misery. Maybe it just goes to show you, lose the head (Aaron Sorkin) and the body dies

-Will & Grace

Kind of started like it would take over Friends' title as THE sitcom of the era for NBC following Cheers, Seinfeld and Friends. Has gotten too cliched and unfunny

More to come...

Steve

Guest Salacious Crumb

MASH, the 80s episodes were not kind to this shows legacy at all. Once Alda got control the show became his own soapbox instead of a comedy.

Simpsons, the show doesn't even resemble what it was 10 years ago. While the first 8 seasons or so were historical the last 7 have been terrible and totally forgettable.

Boston Public, great first season that made it look like this was going to be an excelletn drama but the second season brought inferior actors and the plots got WAY over the top.

Leno and Letterman, both are just so terribly unfunny now.

Howard Stern, ok so a radio show but the same principle. The show has ceased to be edgy for years and looks like it's going to die out with a wimper. Stern has turned into the Hollywood asskisser he used to hate.

Speaking of "Golden Childs" like Kelly and Sorkin, what about David Lynch's Twin Peaks

This was new, hip, edgy, cool, whatever, it went all strange and to hell

Speaking of talk shows, how about Arsenio "I'm going to kick Leno's ass" Hall

I was surprised to A) see Hall pop up on Leno's 10th anniversary show and B) no mention was made of that infamous line

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah, Drew Carey was definately unwatchable after awhile.

I'm gunna have to say Futurama. I mean, Groening fan boys LOVE this show, and dont get me wrong, i like it too, but it's not nearly as funny as people make it out to be. But, im a King of the Hill man, myself.

That said, I think the Simpsons have been on cruise control since the Homer on Pot episode (the one that there was NO WAY to fuck it up.) now they're coasting until they get the "longest running ever" trophy.

-Cheex

The Howard Stern tv show on E! is still edgy with the retards, drunks, strippers.

I sincerely hope you're not saying that with a straight face.

I'm gunna have to say Futurama. I mean, Groening fan boys LOVE this show, and dont get me wrong, i like it too, but it's not nearly as funny as people make it out to be. But, im a King of the Hill man, myself.

I watched the entire run of Futurama once, and after seeing it once.....it's enough. Overall, not that great of a show, and it does NOT hold up well to repeated viewings. I usually tune out of the reruns, then turn back to Adult Swim once Family Guy comes on.

I think the Simpsons already is the Longest Running Animation Show, Cheex.

Although I still like it, I'm starting to think that Stargate SG-1 is loosing it's edge now that Richard Dean Anderson has his schedual reduced.

Definitly Drew Carrey. The first three or four seasons is classic, but somewhere alogn the line, oh I'll say when Drew's Brother and Mimi Get married, the show just ran out of steam and relied rtoo much on gimmick peisodes and rediculous plotlines. I think I stopped watching for good around the time Drew went into a coma and met the baby, and then woke up and married two women without the other knowing.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Married With Children, were there even fans left of this show by the time the final season hit?

Married With Children, were there even fans left of this show by the time the final season hit?

I actually think Married with CHildren is kind of odd with the way it evolved. The first couple seasns are nothing special, it didn't pick up and become laugh out loud funny untill the early to mid-ninties, then it sank again by the final season.

I think the Simpsons already is the Longest Running Animation show, Cheex

Thats true, but I meant that it's looking to beat out the Honeymooners for longest running TV comedy.

Or I might be crazy.

-Cheex

Thats true, but I meant that it's looking to beat out the Honeymooners for longest running TV comedy.

Or I might be crazy.

-Cheex

The Honeymooners?With Jackie Gleason? Didn't that only have a handfull of episodes?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042114/

Yeah, only on for a year.

Guest Cerebus

Family Matters. There was a time when every other word that came out of Urkel's mouth became a national catchphrase, but by the time the show ended things had become truley pathetic (I think the season finale had something to do with Urkel in space. Nuff said).

Then, dang it, what am I thinking of?

Ozzie and Harriet went for 14 seasons. The other shows I can think of that would be in the category "longest running" are MASH and All In The Family, both of which went about 10 years, which The Simpsons passed around the time I quit caring.

Guest Choken One

Gunsmoke?

That lasted 20 seasons.

Bonaza? That lasted 17 years...

Damn...Maybe TV needs to bring back westerns...those seem to have long shelf lives.

Or I might be crazy.

I think you mean "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" which ran from 10-2-52 to 9-3-66. I think it still holds the record or is tied with The Simpsons... I forget.

Gunsmoke?

That lasted 20 seasons.

Bonaza? That lasted 17 years...

Damn...Maybe TV needs to bring back westerns...those seem to have long shelf lives.

DEADWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest wrestlingbs

I don't get the Futurama hate. I find it hilarious and will always think of it as better than anything the Simpsons have done in the past 5 years.

Another vote for Boston Public. I know they want to be all "topical" and stuff, but now the school's not even close to what real high schools are like.

Sienfeld will always seem tarnished to me after the series finale. I know that sonds geeky and childish, but the final episode was so bad and unfunny it's hard to watch any episode now without thinking about how it ends.

ER is definitely in this territory now.

there is a difference for me between what did on an overall scale or a personal scale. So many people watched Friends, and I used to enjoy Friends a lot, but in the past few years it has been a soap opera, so it dropped for me personally, however it is still mostly popular overall.

A show I believe was pretty popular and just fizzled out was Alf. I don't remember too much from the time frame, but I remember a cliff hanging ending to the season that ended up finishing the series.

The Simpsons is more than likely already Longest Running Comedy... but it'll never be longest running SHOW as soap operas and shit never die...and Gunsmoke ran on radio starting in the 30s and then into TV (if that counts)

Family Matters. There was a time when every other word that came out of Urkel's mouth became a national catchphrase, but by the time the show ended things had become truley pathetic (I think the season finale had something to do with Urkel in space. Nuff said).

Ugh, wasn't there a "driveby" episode as well? Fuckin idiots......

And BPS, Deadwood is my new favorite show.......sucks that there is only two more episodes left in the season (I think).

8 Simple Rules...I thought it was one of the best sitcoms I've seen in awhile, but the show died when John Ritter died...I watched it for the first time in months last night and realized that they really should not have kept this show going after the "death" episode...

And BPS, Deadwood is my new favorite show.......sucks that there is only two more episodes left in the season (I think).

Is Deadwood the programme that has Ian McShane in it as some kind of evil sheriff? Just wondering because I know he's in some US Western series, but his UK image, as cuddly antiques dealer Lovejoy, is totally different.

Guest Goodear

X-Files is the number one and best at this catagory. The show started off brilliantly for something like 4 or 5 seasons and created a reason to actually stay at home on Friday nights for us pack of nerds that were already home anyway :( Anyway by the end of the show's run, it was a completely muddled mess of continuity that no one in their right minds could follow as well as the loss of its main star in Mulder. I don't think people even miss it in the least anymore, and thats kind of a shame considering how good it used to be.