TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Official Spiderman 2 Thread

Spidey's costume is the only one aside From Superman that has translated perfectly to film, as far as I know. And no, Punisher doesn't count.

Didn't Alex Ross do a Goblin design that had him in a cloak and with some great makeup and a sword or something. I've always thought that would have been interesting on film.

goblin_03.jpg

Guest Prodigy
Didn't Alex Ross do a Goblin design that had him in a cloak and with some great makeup and a sword or something.  I've always thought that would have been interesting on film.

Here's some pics of his design:

goblinbodyLG.jpg

goblin_headLG.jpg

goblin_sledLG.jpg

I actually like the movie version, and can't really see Ross' version in the movie. It's alright overall, but what's up with the goblin sled?

Edit: Beat me to it :angry:

About the costumes, it isn't so much the lack of realism for the spandex as it is that the comic costumes look rediculous, especially for the X-Men. No self-respecting psychotic badass killing machine goes around wearing bright yellow, I'm sorry.

Yes they do.......they did it for 30 years.........

I love that design, I don't like the sword through. I don't recall Goblin ever using one, but yeah I love that design. Looks a lot eviler than the metal suit. But I also agree that the rips all stiched up should go.

About the costumes, it isn't so much the lack of realism for the spandex as it is that the comic costumes look rediculous, especially for the X-Men.  No self-respecting psychotic badass killing machine goes around wearing bright yellow, I'm sorry.

And it looks as bad now as it ever did. The outfits that they had during Morrison's run or in Ultimate X-Men are greatly improved over the classics.

Do you want people laughing at Hugh Jackman for 2 hours?

About the costumes, it isn't so much the lack of realism for the spandex as it is that the comic costumes look rediculous, especially for the X-Men.  No self-respecting psychotic badass killing machine goes around wearing bright yellow, I'm sorry.

And it looks as bad now as it ever did. The outfits that they had during Morrison's run or in Ultimate X-Men are greatly improved over the classics.

Do you want people laughing at Hugh Jackman for 2 hours?

I don't think anyone would laugh at him.

And I don't think they looked bad at all and have never looked bad.

People saying "They would look absurd! And no hero would wear that!"

Well guess what? They did wear it!

Personally I think that some of the costumes would've worked, and others wouldn't.

Storm, for instance, would be good. Of course, she wears skimpy clothing so spandex isn't an issue.

Gambutt would also be ok, since he's basically wearing body armour and a trenchcoat.

Wolverine, imo works best OUT of uniform. He's a brawler, and any kind of uniform doesn't really work for him. Plus, there is no way you could make his mask good on film.

Cyclops is Mr. Spandex. Do the 90's Jim Lee thing with the jackets if so desired, but he's almost tailor-made for it.

Rogue can stay in the leather. If in the movie she could fly, then spandex would be better, but the outfit's fine as it stands.

Colossus need spandex. I'd mark out if they could replicate his costume that had the blue leggings (which of course disappeared when he turned metal. Gotta love those unstable molecules).

Nightcrawler. I like his current look. The Morrison unis reminded me too much of Nazi Nightcrawler from the early Excalibur issues.

I just saw a new Spider-Man commercial that totally ruins the entire ending. They showed Peter being revealed to Mary Jane, telling her that he does love her and her skipping the wedding to be with him.

I mean, I know almost everybody has seen it but there's still a number of people who have been waiting for it to go to the cheap theatre, people who just haven't been able to make a showing yet or people who haven't downloaded it illegally online yet. I'm sure some people are ticked.

Guest Askewniverse

I just saw that commercial too (during Smallville). If I hadn't already seen the movie, I would have been totally pissed off. The people responsible for that TV spot should be smacked on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

Personally, I thought the Green Goblin movie costume was dreadful. It looked bloody ridiculous on film. I think purple and green "pajamas" would have looked silly, too, but there had to be a middle ground somewhere. Spider-Man's costume never looked like pajamas during the movie... why couldn't they have made a Goblin costume out of that same material?

As for the X-Men, I'm glad they went with the black/brown leather. Wolverine would look bloody silly in yellow and blue spandex. What works in comics does not always work in the movies. Comics, especially ones that have been around for a while, settled on certain colors because of printing technologies at the time -- this is why the Hulk was turned green from his original grey, for example. While printing has come a long way (a grey-skinned Hulk is now easy to render), a lot of those old looks have become "classic." And when you're making a movie, you're not just making it for the 300,000 people who might regularly buy the comic: you're trying to draw millions of viewers, some of whom will only be superficially familiar with the source material, from all over the world. And for every fanboy who popped a comic purist boner at seeing Wolverine in yellow and blue spandex, 500 other people would have thought it absurd and laughed at the character.

Personally, I thought the Green Goblin movie costume was dreadful. It looked bloody ridiculous on film. I think purple and green "pajamas" would have looked silly, too, but there had to be a middle ground somewhere. Spider-Man's costume never looked like pajamas during the movie... why couldn't they have made a Goblin costume out of that same material?

As for the X-Men, I'm glad they went with the black/brown leather. Wolverine would look bloody silly in yellow and blue spandex. What works in comics does not always work in the movies. Comics, especially ones that have been around for a while, settled on certain colors because of printing technologies at the time -- this is why the Hulk was turned green from his original grey, for example. While printing has come a long way (a grey-skinned Hulk is now easy to render), a lot of those old looks have become "classic." And when you're making a movie, you're not just making it for the 300,000 people who might regularly buy the comic: you're trying to draw millions of viewers, some of whom will only be superficially familiar with the source material, from all over the world. And for every fanboy who popped a comic purist boner at seeing Wolverine in yellow and blue spandex, 500 other people would have thought it absurd and laughed at the character.

I refuse to believe that people are that immature.

Guest SP-1

Believe it, brutha.

I'm a huge comic book mark, but I'd have immediately regarded X-Men as lame if Wolvie was in an exact copy of his comic costume. If the story was the same that might have saved it for me, but if Cyclops was running around in blue spandex and Wolvie had the absurd head piece, I'd have either laughed the entire time or walked out of the theater. It's not even immaturity. It's an understanding that some things just do not translate to film well.

Now, they could have redesigned Wolverine's costume and kept the colors and gone with leather and a new design. That might have worked. But a straight copy would have earned every kernel of popcorn hurled at the screen.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I think the brown and tan costume without the mask would have worked quite well actually.

Guest SP-1
I think the brown and tan costume without the mask would have worked quite well actually.

Yes, that might have worked well. Maybe not the shoulder armor. Keep the color scheme, but make it leather and give him sleeves. Jackman's arms aren't beefy enough to carry the costume without covering.

It's the head piece and that shoulder armor that's killer.

I refuse to believe that people are that immature.

Believe (or refuse to believe) whatever you want. None are more blind than those who refuse to see.

Regarding translating things to the big screen, nothing really adapts perfectly. Peter Jackson said he made some changes to The Two Towers relative to the book because adapting the book 100% faithfully would have been "death on film." And as much as I love all the LOTR books, he was right.

In the comic book world, you have years to build and keep an audience. And you expect fans will come to the books as others leave. In the movies, you have about two hours. People are less willing to suspend their disbelief about things on film than in comics. You have to make sure your jokes and sight gags are intentionally funny, not unintentionally so (as Hugh Jackman in yellow and blue spandex would've been). And you don't have the luxury of losing fans.

Besides, the character is more important than whatever costume they put him in. And I think that, after two movies, the character of Wolverine has been done pretty well. The costume they've given him is actually an improvement over the comics. Some iconic costumes really can't be changed (like Superman's, even though it should be), but the rest just don't matter.

Didn't Alex Ross do a Goblin design that had him in a cloak and with some great makeup and a sword or something.  I've always thought that would have been interesting on film.

Here's some pics of his design:

That looks much better than what they used in the film. The mask was just too chunky.

I'm still just not seeing the problem with the yellow and blue and the mask that you people are.

None are more blind than those who refuse to see.

Guest SP-1

Since this IS a Spidey thread, I'm going to comment on your sig, Renegade.

I thought that moment was possibly one of the best of that storyline. I'm still hunting the first issue of that arc. I thought Jenkins did a great job of using Gwen and Goblin and all of that to screw with Peter's head. I'm also going to steal that pic and put it in my screen saver slideshow folder. ;)

If only Ramos didn't do the art in it.

When you say hunting for the first issue, you mean the actual issue or will a scan suffice?

I'm still just not seeing the problem with the yellow and blue and the mask that you people are.

None are more blind than those who refuse to see.

Are you saying I'm blind b/c I don't see a problem with the costume? Nope that doesn't mean I'm blind. That just means that I actually don't have a problem with the costume. Just because you think it looks goofy doesn't mean that everyone thinks it looks goofy. Where is this set standard that "Well the comic book characters costume's look goofy! It's a fact!" It is no fact. It's a matter of opinion. And IMO it's not fucking goofy.

Guest Askewniverse
I'm a huge comic book mark, but I'd have immediately regarded X-Men as lame if Wolvie was in an exact copy of his comic costume.  If the story was the same that might have saved it for me, but if Cyclops was running around in blue spandex and Wolvie had the absurd head piece, I'd have either laughed the entire time or walked out of the theater.  It's not even immaturity.  It's an understanding that some things just do not translate to film well.

I agree. Some things, such as comic book costumes, just don't translate well to film. The familiar blue-and-yellow costume might be accepted by die-hard fans, but at the same time, the general public may find the costume to be laughable.

EDIT: see the post below for the pic I originally posted.

This may not be a perfect example, but I think something like this would look totally goofy.

5288sm.jpg

But it wouldn't look entirely like that. It'd be professionally done and I'm pretty sure they'd make it out of leather and not spandex.

And on top of that.......that ain't to bad looking. If he was a little buffer and had the claws I could buy him as Wolverine.

If only Ramos didn't do the art in it.

100% cor-fucking-rect. Despite the awesomeness of the overall story, I haven't been able to read it a second time due to how stupid the drawing is - this "manga-Spidey look" really pisses me off.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Yes, that might have worked well. Maybe not the shoulder armor. Keep the color scheme, but make it leather and give him sleeves. Jackman's arms aren't beefy enough to carry the costume without covering.

It's the head piece and that shoulder armor that's killer.

If the shoulder armor was metal and sharp that would have been cool.

Are you saying I'm blind b/c I don't see a problem with the costume?

No, you tool, you're blind because you're sticking your fingers in your ears at everybody's rational arguments and shouting, "OMG NOTHING CAN EVER BE CHANGED FROM A COMIC BOOK~!" Times change, people change, societies change, and only a fool would think things don't need to be updated with time. Spider-Man's origin story was changed in the first movie: the radioactive spider written in a time when we were in fear of nuclear winter was replaced by the genetically-engineered spider, made for a time when cloning and stem-cell research are hot-button issues. The random burglary of the Parkers' house was updated to Uncle Ben getting carjacked. And you know what? It worked perfectly well, and IMO, MUCH better than blind fealty to the source material would have worked.

Until you accept a few things that people have been telling you all fucking day, then yes, you're going to be blind. But like I said, none are more blind than those who refuse to see.

And IMO it's not fucking goofy.

Wolverine's supposed to be a badass. So tell me this: would YOU be scared of some guy in bright yellow and blue spandex? Movies are a much different medium from comic books: the visuals are more immediate and more impactful, and thus have to be more carefully considered.

I'm going to say it now: Superman's costume is a product of a bygone era, isn't intimidating at all, and should be updated whenever WB pulls their heads out of their asses and makes the movie.