TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson G

Bands that could have been bigger than they were

I want to see what bands you guys thought could have made it huge, but never seemed to break out for whatever reason.

The one band that brought this to my mind was Survivor. What a great band, but (other than Eye of the Tiger) they were never really recognized for anything. They had a great lead singer and their sound wasn't as annoying as typical 80's hair metal bands.

Guest FrigidSoul

Seven Mary 3

I remember liking them when they first came out.

Living Colour

That band was a keg of Dynamite, but other than Cult of Personality they never got huge reconition, despite a great singer (Corey Glover) and great guitarist (Vernon Reid)

Guest Choken One

Life Of Agony.

The River Runs Red Album is still considered a Hardcore Classic.

Hopefully, The New Upcoming album can get them there. "Love to Let U down" has a sound very similar to the RRR style and has that radio hit feel as well.

I agree on Living Colour.

And as big as they were, Guns N Roses could have been and would have been much bigger than they were, had drugs, alcohol and egotism not torn it apart.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Faith No More coulda been huge, Mike Patton had all of Axl Roses' positives. Except he could actually sing. And he wasn't completely out of his mind. But his group actually took the high road and seemed to focus on putting out unique different well done music that I'm sure they knew would handicap any success they could have possibly had beyond Epic and some minor success with some material off of Angel Dust.

Far shoulda had a lot more popularity too, but that band seemed to be snake bitten. Just could not get a break.

Mike Patton had all of Axl Roses' positives. Except he could actually sing.

C'mon, Axl had his own unique niche. If he didn't, he wouldn't be as remembered as he is. Much more then Patton or Faith No More is.

I'll go with Candlebox. "Far Behind" and "You" were both great singles.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Mike Patton... And he wasn't completely out of his mind

You've got to be kidding.

Clutch should be friggin' huge. Sabbath-driven straightforward beer rock. Nothing too complicated.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden

Both got big, but they're miles better than Nirvana, who got most of the publicity out of the grunge era.

Oasis could of become their era's answer to The Beatles had they not lost the plot and let fame go to their heads. Noel also let himself slip in his song writing whereas Liam just became a bigger and bigger tool as the years went by.

Oh, what could of been.

Guest Anticrombie
Alice in Chains...miles better than Nirvana

I second that motion, everything from Facelift to their acoustic turn on Sap and Jar Of Flies, to Dirt, to the weird and trippy but engaging Alice In Chains is amazing.

This is a band that I listen to over and over again, I'm even going to get the Unplugged and Live albums.

I actually like Nirvana, but I've always felt AIC trumps them musically and lyrically.

Guns and Roses. They could of rivaled the beatles and the rolling stones for all time popularity. It's a shame really how they fucked everything up.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Why does no one see that that was a normal career arc for an egotistical hard rock band from the 80's?

Guest FrigidSoul
Alice in Chains and Soundgarden

Both got big, but they're miles better than Nirvana, who got most of the publicity out of the grunge era.

Nirvana got more press because they were the first ones signed and Kurt Cobain's death to this day can still be disputed. I love Nirvana, but if you ask me the one band from that era that was the best is Alice in Chains. I'm not the only one to think that way as many bands were influence by them, especially Godsmack who chose their name from a song off of Dirt.

Fuck Soundgarden though. Black Hole Sun is one of the most annoying songs to get stuck in your head with its repetitive dragging tone. The music video was cool though. To be honest I find Chris Cornell's stuff with Temple of the Dog or his solo shit much better.

Better Then Ezra...for as great as their first cd was I thought they were going to be huge. But they just never caught on after that.

Ash...they're big elsewhere, just not here though. Very good band.

Why does no one see that that was a normal career arc for an egotistical hard rock band from the 80's?

I don't know of any other rock band from the 80's that debuted with selling 18 million records or something like that. They were an instant hit and could of continued on until their ego fest screwed them up.

Fuck Soundgarden though. Black Hole Sun is one of the most annoying songs to get stuck in your head with its repetitive dragging tone.

I hate that song with a passion.

I don't know of any other rock band from the 80's that debuted with selling 18 million records or something like that. They were an instant hit and could of continued on until their ego fest screwed them up.

Hair band with attitude.

What else is Guns N Roses.

Fuck Soundgarden though. Black Hole Sun is one of the most annoying songs to get stuck in your head with its repetitive dragging tone.

I hate that song with a passion.

You know, they have other songs...;)

No they don't.

That's their only song, and it sucks. Therefore, they suck.

End of discussion.

*throws fireballs at UYI*

No they don't.

That's their only song, and it sucks. Therefore, they suck.

End of discussion.

Fell on Black Days.

That should make up for it.