TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Indy wrestlers you just don't like

As much as I am a Whipwreck mark, I can't stand his students.

The whole Red, SAT, Divine Storm, and whatnot. Mostly cause they're just completly reckless when it comes to head dropping moves. I watched a scramble match yesterday with them and I counted 4 nasty head drops that could have easily hurt someone badly.

And I can't stand Red cause he always kicks out of repeated high impact moves that should pin heavyweights. I think it just makes everyone else on the card look bad who may lose to a piledriver or something.

But the worst to me is Quiet Storm. He's just too funny to watch. He's like Benoit...minus the talent, charisma, and believability. His little Godzilla yells just crack me up. And that fact that he's a friggin killer midget makes it even better.

indy wrestlers i dont like include: 1.a.j styles spotty repettitive and just plain crap 2.c.m punk now hes not a bad wrestler per se but shouldnt be headlinig roh his matches tottaly reek of midcard i think the iwc get ironman mixed up with great worker. 3.donovan morgan havent seen him for a while but last i did he was uncharismatic and his technical wrestling wasnt all that great however i did find him impressive in terms of being the glue that held the sppotty workers matches togever.

Guest TonyJaymzV1
indy wrestlers i dont like include: 1.a.j styles spotty repettitive and just plain crap 2.c.m punk now hes not a bad wrestler per se but shouldnt be headlinig roh his matches tottaly reek of midcard i think the iwc get ironman mixed up with great worker. 3.donovan morgan havent seen him for a while but last i did he was uncharismatic and his technical wrestling wasnt all that great however i did find him impressive in terms of being the glue that held the sppotty workers matches togever.

styles spotty?

Morgan boring?

Punk "midcard"?

bizarro world

lrn how too psot legicbally

Guest Real F'n Show

Yes, and Michael Shane doesn't suck. That's sarcasm by the way.

1) "Mr. Roboto" BJ Whitmer. Totally stone-faced throughout his in-ring time, bad striker, bores me to death.

2) John Walters. Hey John, Matt Stryker, Chad Collyer, and ten other guys called: they want their in-ring style back.

3) CM Punk. For whatever reason, ever since Ring of Honor became Ring of Punk, I've just not wanted to like the guy.

I've never been a fan of BJ Whitmer. I can't think of one match of his that I really enjoyed other than the 4-way at Death Before Dishonor, and that was more for Maff, Cabana, and Homicide.

Guest Staravenger

Petey Williams. I have a hard time getting into his matches. The Maximos & Amazing Red as well. Outside of being spot monkeys, nothing stands out from them, and more often than not, the Maximos just suck.

Samoa Joe, Low-Ki, and any of the other various puroresu marks who think that way-too-stiff kicks, bullshit overcomplicated submissions, and a ridiculous number headdrops make them "strong style" and sooo kewl.

Guest Real F'n Show

What's with all the Jimmy Rave hate? I never minded the guy. Nothing special, but I don't hate him.

i can pinpoint the exact moment my Jimmy Rave hate began.

it was sitting in the crowd for the second night of the TPI in 2002 and Hero came out fro his match with Rave still selling the damage done to his leg on the previous night by Matt Stryker.

and Rave proceeds to go off on Hero's arm....

i understand that's his thing and all. but it just really betrays what a one-dimensional wrestler he really is.

also.. i've never really gotten the Homicide love.

i've never seen him effectively tell a story.

or really do any long-term, quality selling.

and his tendency to injure people...

i mean, he certainly seems to be a draw. so in that respect he's good for business...

but i just don't fancy him as a wrestler.

Guest Markingout
Homicide. The guy is absolutely TERRIBLE.

He is not to consistent with his selling either, but his selling in his MOTYC vs Danielson was awesome. He is a great actor, and gets the crowd into his matches. Homicide could tell a story a great story, look at Homicide and Corino from BFSE. Homicide isn't terrible, but not absolutely phenomenal like he is praised.

Rave gets all this hate because he just can't have a good match. He is quite boring, and never has a real facial expression.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
Rave gets all this hate because he just can't have a good match.

Rave vs. B-Boy, CZW Truth or Consequences

Rave vs. Mamaluke, CZW Uprising

Rave vs. B-Boy, CZW Night of Infamy 2

Rave vs. Alex Shelley, CZW Street Fight 2k4

Rave vs. Chris Hero, CZW Retribution

Rave vs. Joker, CZW Bring on the Pain

Six-man tag ROH Generation Next

Rave/McGuinness/Romero/Aries- ROH Reborn, Stage 2

Not to mention all the gems on this bad boy

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...=0entry836702

I HATE generalizations.

There's also an excellent Rave/Onyx Wildside Title match from a recent episode of Wildside TV, where Rave glides into his role as a heel, with little struts and mannerisms that would definately shut up those who feel as if Jimmy is "bland".

Guest TDinDC1112

I would like to add American Dragon, Homicide, Somoa Joe, Alex Shelley, and Lo Ki to the list. I think we can all agree that they all are on the same level of suckness.

Guest Markingout
Rave vs. B-Boy, CZW Truth or Consequences

Rave vs. Mamaluke, CZW Uprising

Rave vs. B-Boy, CZW Night of Infamy 2

Rave vs. Alex Shelley, CZW Street Fight 2k4

Rave vs. Chris Hero, CZW Retribution

Rave vs. Joker, CZW Bring on the Pain

Rave vs. Mamaluke was great. The whole first falls Mamaluke worked the arm, come second fall he tries abunch of moves involving the arm, then he puts his arms to side for a few seconds then keeps using it. It's little things like that, that bug me about Rave.

I saw Chris Hero vs Rave once, and I will watch it again tonight. I remember it vaguely as being quite dull, and nothing out of the ordinary. It was pretty bland.

The match at Truth or Consequences had a lack of psychology.

The ROH match was good, but of course it would. Look at the calibur of workers Rave is in there with. Rave hung with Nigel quite well though, but 4 ways shouldn't be used to judge how good one worker is.

There's also an excellent Rave/Onyx Wildside Title match from a recent episode of Wildside TV, where Rave glides into his role as a heel, with little struts and mannerisms that would definately shut up those who feel as if Jimmy is "bland".

That is good, it's something different for Rave who couldn't over as a face.

I would like to add American Dragon, Homicide, Somoa Joe, Alex Shelley, and Lo Ki to the list. I think we can all agree that they all are on the same level of suckness.

Don't forget Chris Daniels with all his shitty moonsault that he blows half the time and that crappy Pedigree rip off. :P

Guest The Last Free Voice

I can't get into Walters or Stryker. They just kinda.... bore me. Stryker just doesn't have any personality really. His moves look just like everyone elses. Ditto for Walters.

Now here's one I don't get, Hydro. What do people see in him. All I've seen out of him is below average strikes and a botched Dragon Suplex or two.

Samoa Joe, Low-Ki, and any of the other various puroresu marks who think that way-too-stiff kicks, bullshit overcomplicated submissions, and a ridiculous number headdrops make them "strong style" and sooo kewl.

Samoa Joe is pro wrestling. NEVER FORGET THAT, JINGUS!

There's something about CM Punk that I don't get. I mean, it's obvious that the guy can wrestle, but I never feel the desire to re-watch a Punk match the way I do other wrestlers.

I could happily never see all of Special K again, and Dan Maff kinda annoys me for some reason I can't identify.

Stryker and Walters have quite different movesets. They don't have personalities obviously, but I enjoy their matches.

There's something about CM Punk that I don't get. I mean, it's obvious that the guy can wrestle, but I never feel the desire to re-watch a Punk match the way I do other wrestlers.

if you haven't.

check out the Punk/Daniels match from the 2002 TPI.

i've watched it no less that a dozen times.

and it never stops being excellent.

everything is focused and means something...

That Punk/Daniels match was during the period where Punk was actually focused on being a great wrestler, and not Mr. Sports Entertainment. Nowadays, you're more likely to see him cut a long promo about his lifestyle and not liking Ricky Steamboat than busting out a match like that.

Btw, thecitythesky...just making an observation, but just about all of your points about workers are coming from an almost-two year old show. Workers change and improve or get worse during that type of time.

That's sort of a silly comment. I've seen a lot of great matches from Punk while "Mr. Sports entertainment" that destroy his disasters with Hero during that period, and the vast majority of his IWA work. He's come really far in terms of match pacing, selling, and smart work. You rarely see those old "innovative" moves out of him anymore because he doesn't need them.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

That's the first time I've ever heard the Punk/Hero matches called "disasters," minus their first singles match together and their IWC Super Indy match. (Admittedly, I haven't seen their pre-2002 TPI matches in IWA, not even the reputedly fantastic TLC match). Can you elaborate?

Edited by Jay Z. Hollywood

Guest jester2trife
Samoa Joe is pro wrestling. NEVER FORGET THAT, JINGUS!

I just watched Somoa Joe and the PWG show on 7/10..The guy is a fat, outta shape mid-card talent that only proves that RoH is as overrated a fed as there ever was.

I really wish I had saved posts I made on them on old boards. I would have to do full reviews of some of their matches again to explain, and I can't put myself through the pain of the 2/3 falls match again. So much of the work in their matches is meaningless, which is the biggest problem. It happened again recently in their "One More Time" match that I picked up. The matches go long for the sake of being long, rather than being good. The selling in a lot of the matches is really off too, where they sell like nuts while being worked on, but when it is their turn to work the body part the pain goes away except when it is convenient for a transition.

The most recent match was probably their best in terms of execution of moves, and more things meaning something, but still it was a 40 minute match stretched out to 56. Hero's endless armbars in the first half that were building to what, anyway? The live report said it was to block the pepsi plunge, but that sure wasn't what they were working in the match. They were apparently building to the arm trap hangman's clutch, which isn't even an arm submission as far as I know. When Punk took over on offense and went to the neck, the armwork from earlier became irrelevent until a later transition made it convenient to remember.