TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

The One and Only Vengeance Thread

I enjoyed the show. Crowd reaction was entertaining. Flair Eugene were treated like the Rock. Orton Edge was a good match with the best crowd in a while. Last match was good. Everything else was pretty decent too.

Good show, but Benoit STILL can't seem to win World Heavyweight title PPV matches without using a roll-up, and Eugene's going to get more focus than him on Raw tomorrow night because of his accidental chairshot to HHH.

Good show, but Benoit STILL can't seem to win World Heavyweight title PPV matches without using a roll-up, and Eugene's going to get more focus than him on Raw tomorrow night because of his accidental chairshot to HHH.

He got two straight submission victories at Wrestlemania & Backlash and would have had one here without the ref. Benoit had to fight off four guys here. He didn't look weak.

Except for the first two times when he won by submission, but we don't count those for some reason.

The action tonight was good. But the booking was just terrible.

Batista beats Jericho with a sit-down powerbomb....by pulling his foot off the bottom rope. Does this do anything for Jericho? Nope. For all intents and purposes, he was finished had Batista not put him so close to the ropes. Does this do anything for Batista? Nope. The big monster had to cheat by pretending Jericho never put his foot on the rope. Who was this result supposed to help?

Matt Hardy beats the huge monster Kane with a chairshot? I can appreciate the unpredictability they were going for here, but the actual finish was just so weak. And, after a month of Matt wanting Kane to bleed - a month of an incredibly intense Matt Hardy trying to hurt Kane - he scrambles over for a quick three count, then instantly runs away from the ring to escape further danger. What?!

Then we have Randy Orton jobbing the Intercontinental Title. With every passing title defense, Orton's character was gaining more and more momentum. He has done more for the legacy of that title than anybody else in the past few years. So what happens? He drops the title to Edge when it just didn't need to be done. Edge doesn't need the IC Title right now. He's held it several times already, and they're obviously grooming him for a top feud with Triple H at this point. The Intercontinental Title does absolutely nothing for Edge's character, but it continued to do so much for Orton - even after he's had the title for nearly eight months! And I won't even go into the crowd reaction. The fact that the majority of the people clearly wanted Randy to retain until he had to scream at them in an attempt to get some boos. The new Intercontinental Champion - the guy who's being groomed for a Main Event spot - the soon-to-be #1 face on Raw........should not be getting booed against an established heel like he was tonight. Just a terrible booking decision.

And then, of course, we have the Benoit/Triple H/Eugene booking fiasco that I already mentioned.

The matches tonight were great. The results were horrid. As a result, this becomes an average PPV......which is a shame, because the right endings could have made this one of the better shows of the year.

Guest Salacious Crumb

You forgot having Rhyno/Tajiri vs. Coach/Cade on the card with no buildup at all.

Guest Staravenger

Even with several horrible finishes, this PPV was a LOT better than Judgment Day was, and from what I've heard, even more better than the "Great" American Bash.

Hopefully RAW keeps pumping out good PPV's, because they are the saving grace of big shows right now since SD is in a flushed toilet scrambling to keep afloat. Yes, that has to be one of the worst examples ever, but it kinda works.

Guest MikeSC
Even with several horrible finishes, this PPV was a LOT better than Judgment Day was, and from what I've heard, even more better than the "Great" American Bash.

Hopefully RAW keeps pumping out good PPV's, because they are the saving grace of big shows right now since SD is in a flushed toilet scrambling to keep afloat. Yes, that has to be one of the worst examples ever, but it kinda works.

Actually, if SD continues their recent upswing in quality, their next PPV might be watchable.

-=Mike

Actually, if SD continues their recent upswing in quality, their next PPV might be watchable.

-=Mike

The "recent upswing" consisted of ONE good Smackdown. They need to present good shows consistently for a bit before I'd consider it to be a true upswing.

Batista beats Jericho with a sit-down powerbomb....

I believe that is called an inconclusive finish in order to stretch out their feud. If nothing comes of it, then you are right. We won't know for a little bit.

Matt Hardy beats the huge monster Kane with a chairshot?...

I agree on this. Kane has been so neutered recently that I'm wondering if HHH hates him as much as he does Jericho. I like Matt and all, but realistically he should have been leaving in a body bag.

Then we have Randy Orton jobbing the Intercontinental Title...

And thus begins his main event push... Right now I would not be surprised to see him win the belt from Benoit rather than HHH. This would start an Orton/HHH feud over the belt that would go til Wrestlemania. This was planned for a couple of months now, except with Shelton getting the belt instead (the injury prevented it). Shelton's booking made it pretty obvious that he was going to take the title in the summer.

And then, of course, we have the Benoit/Triple H/Eugene booking fiasco that I already mentioned.

It had to be done. If Eugene turns on HHH intentionally, it hurts his naive character. If Eugene helps HHH win, he gets booted from Evolution tomorrow and leads to Eugene/HHH, a very dull main event. They went with the choice that gave them the most options.

You forgot having Rhyno/Tajiri vs. Coach/Cade on the card with no buildup at all.

Tajiri misted Coach on RAW, so he got his buddy Cade to help him and they did the old Mystery Partner gag. Bad buildup is different than no buildup.

It was better than Badd Blood too. It is arguable with Backlash. Backlash had the better main event, but this featured better wrestling throughout the card. I guess it comes down to Orton/Foley vs. Orton/Edge and which you prefer. I much prefer the latter (I like good wrestling better than good brawling generally), so I put this over Backlash.

It had to be done. If Eugene turns on HHH intentionally, it hurts his naive character. If Eugene helps HHH win, he gets booted from Evolution tomorrow and leads to Eugene/HHH, a very dull main event. They went with the choice that gave them the most options.

Well, just to clarify, I have no problem with the idea of Eugene unintentionally causing Triple H the match. I understand they want to continue the Eugene/Triple H storyline, and I'm completely fine with that.

However.....

.....the way they went around it tonight was just completely wrong. Since when was it in Benoit's character to resort to cheating just to keep his title? Why was he so insistent tonight on using the steel chair when - as we've seen before - he doesn't need it to beat Triple H. He's never been that addicted to a weapon in a match before. Why so, tonight? Then, to make matters worse, why did he feel the need to get a cheap roll-up pinfall over Triple H following a Eugene chairshot? Benoit has always been about proving he was the best technical wrestler in the company and proving that he was "the real deal." Why did he then tonight compromise his entire value system just to get an incredibly cheap victory over Triple H?

The story they told in this match was just so flawed. While the direction of the storyline was logical, the execution of it was terrible. Unfortunately, this winds up leaving a flat taste about the overall match as a result.

And thus begins his main event push... Right now I would not be surprised to see him win the belt from Benoit rather than HHH. This would start an Orton/HHH feud over the belt that would go til Wrestlemania.

Wooooonderful <_<

And thus begins his main event push... Right now I would not be surprised to see him win the belt from Benoit rather than HHH. This would start an Orton/HHH feud over the belt that would go til Wrestlemania.

Wooooonderful <_<

Unless somebody rises out of nowhere (like Brock Lesnar did), I really don't see anything else happening. The only other guy that is credible and being pushed hard enough is Benoit, and I don't see him headlining again. HHH is going to be there, and he fought Benoit last year. That leaves Orton. The only other guy I can see that might have a shot is Shelton Benjamin, and that would have to fall in the meteoric rise category, so it is a less likely prospect right now.

This is assuming that they keep the split. Another couple of options open up if they recombine the rosters, Eddy & Taker. One is good, the other I would rather see Orton there than.

Guest wildpegasus

Benoit was screwed over tonight like nobody has ever been screwed over before. HHH meanwhile gets protected for the millionth time. Words can not begin to express my disgust at the whole Benoit vs HHH match. What it did and what it means. I've never been more disgusted over a wrestling match in my entire life.

Unless somebody rises out of nowhere (like Brock Lesnar did), I really don't see anything else happening. The only other guy that is credible and being pushed hard enough is Benoit, and I don't see him headlining again. HHH is going to be there, and he fought Benoit last year. That leaves Orton. The only other guy I can see that might have a shot is Shelton Benjamin, and that would have to fall in the meteoric rise category, so it is a less likely prospect right now.

How about Edge????

My thoughts-

Tajiri/Rhyno vs. Coach/Cade was entertaining for what it was. Not as fun as Coach/Tajiri from Backlash, though. *

Chris Jericho vs. Batista was a badass match. Batista = the supreme hoss. Liked the finish, but Jericho should win next month. **3/4-***(!)

Ric Flair/Eugene vs. La Resistance was enjoyable at first but got really silly/dull after a while. Eugene did all the Flair imitations way too quickly for such a long match. When Flair started doing all the things Eugene mocked, then it got really tired. ** anyways.

Kane vs. Matt Hardy-- I didn't dig it. I thought Bischoff and Shane McMahon from SummerSlam '03 was a much better hardcore match (and it was overbooked better as well). I didn't pay attention much until the finish. 3/4*

Randy Orton vs. Edge was in my opinion, better left as a house show match. The headlocks/chinlocks were very boring, and Randy's no Rocky, so I couldn't really get into the Nation-esque fan turn. It's good that Randy got all the heat back onto himself, and the only part of the match I got into was the nearfall finish. Dragged on too long. I liked their RAW match better. Not a fan of Edge and was disappointed that Randy dropped the title. **1/4-**1/2

Molly vs. Victoria was standard RAW fare. *

Triple H vs. Chris Benoit was no doubt the best match of the night. The rollup wasn't too sudden and didn't hurt the finish. I'm fans of both men, but it's a shame that Benoit's reign is likely going to come to an end next month. ***3/4

Overall, an okay show. Worth the money (half-price), but I wouldn't say it's better than Backlash. From what I saw from Bad Blood, it was definitely superior.

Edited: Meltzer and everybody replying to WrestlingObserver is saying that Orton/Edge was an excellent match. I don't know what the hell I was watching then, I'd much rather take some of the recent RAW tag matches (Benoit/Edge v. Orton/Batista being my favourite) over it.

Guest wildpegasus
Orton/HHH fued can be very awesome, if booked right.

I know I won't be watching it because I just don't care anymore.

Benoit was screwed over tonight like nobody has ever been screwed over before. HHH meanwhile gets protected for the millionth time. Words can not begin to express my disgust at the whole Benoit vs HHH match. What it did and what it means. I've never been more disgusted over a wrestling match in my entire life.

Well, let's not go overboard.

Chris Benoit STILL cleanly beat Triple H at WrestleMania XX to win the Heavyweight Championship.

Chris Benoit has STILL made Triple H tap out COUNTLESS times....including tonight.

Chris Benoit has STILL bettered Triple H on multiple occasions - something not many other people have done.

Benoit has NOT been treated badly in his series of matches with Triple H and, while tonight's Main Event did make him look a little weak, it really didn't hurt his character any. The Benoit/HHH match wasn't a travesty. It was just booked poorly. The way Benoit won is nothing to get outraged over, simply because he's been able to come out on top against HHH various other times before.

Guest wildpegasus
Triple H vs. Chris Benoit was no doubt the best match of the night. The rollup wasn't too sudden and didn't hurt the finish. I'm fans of both men, but it's a shame that Benoit's reign is likely going to come to an end next month. ***3/4

Overall, an okay show. Worth the money (half-price), but I wouldn't say it's better than Backlash. From what I saw from Bad Blood, it was definitely superior.

This PPV sucked. It was the worst example of pro HHH booking/stupid movieentertainment endings that I've ever seen. Ever. If Benoit weren't there I'd be gone right now.

This PPV sucked. It was the worst example of pro HHH booking/stupid movieentertainment endings that I've ever seen. Ever. If Benoit weren't there I'd be gone right now.

Pro HHH booking?

----In order to finally beat Chris Benoit, he needed EUGENE to run into the ring and use a steel chair.

----The plan Triple H - the cerebral assassin - has been devising for a month completely fell apart tonight. Which means it wasn't such a good plan in the first place, and that Triple H actually *gasp* planned poorly....

----Triple H tapped out to the Crippler Crossface.

The ending of the match didn't do HIM any favors. It didn't do BENOIT any favors either.

The bias you're screaming about right now is making you look silly, simply because its basis is unfounded. Hunter really wasn't booked to look good tonight!

You don't get out much do you

And if you can't take a little shot at your post tough, you're the one making it sound like this ONE match caved in your little wrestling world.

Guest BrokenWings
My thoughts-

Tajiri/Rhyno vs. Coach/Cade was entertaining for what it was. Not as fun as Coach/Tajiri from Backlash, though. *

Chris Jericho vs. Batista was a badass match. Batista = the supreme hoss. Liked the finish, but Jericho should win next month. **3/4-***(!)

Ric Flair/Eugene vs. La Resistance was enjoyable at first but got really silly/dull after a while. Eugene did all the Flair imitations way too quickly for such a long match. When Flair started doing all the things Eugene mocked, then it got really tired. ** anyways.

Kane vs. Matt Hardy-- I didn't dig it. I thought Bischoff and Shane McMahon from SummerSlam '03 was a much better hardcore match (and it was overbooked better as well). I didn't pay attention much until the finish. 3/4*

Randy Orton vs. Edge was in my opinion, better left as a house show match. The headlocks/chinlocks were very boring, and Randy's no Rocky, so I couldn't really get into the Nation-esque fan turn. It's good that Randy got all the heat back onto himself, and the only part of the match I got into was the nearfall finish. Dragged on too long. I liked their RAW match better. Not a fan of Edge and was disappointed that Randy dropped the title. **1/4-**1/2

Molly vs. Victoria was the women's match. Need I say no more. *

I agree basically with this recap. However, I was more into Kane/Hardy than Funk, but it was by no means great. The ending was lame, and it should have been more hardcore. I just didn't feel the hatred that this feud is meant to have. *1/2

I didn't like Orton/Edge at all, and I'm a mark for Orton. I don't know how some are rating this anywhere near Foley/Orton. Too many drawn out restholds, and Orton dropping the title left a bad taste in my mouth. **1/4 sounds about right.

I also didn't hate Molly/Victoria for what it was, a filler.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

The "recent upswing" consisted of ONE good Smackdown. They need to present good shows consistently for a bit before I'd consider it to be a true upswing.

Honestly, SD has been much improved since GAB. JBL has become a decent heel, much to my surprise. Rene Dupree seems like he could actually be decent. Cena is, well, terrible --- but the US Title division seems to be relatively thriving. The new tag champs look exciting and leave open possibilities. And Chavo Classic leaving actually HELPED the CW division.

-=Mike

Guest wildpegasus

Well, let's not go overboard.

Chris Benoit STILL cleanly beat Triple H at WrestleMania XX to win the Heavyweight Championship.

Chris Benoit has STILL made Triple H tap out COUNTLESS times....including tonight.

Chris Benoit has STILL bettered Triple H on multiple occasions - something not many other people have done.

Benoit has NOT been treated badly in his series of matches with Triple H and, while tonight's Main Event did make him look a little weak, it really didn't hurt his character any. The Benoit/HHH match wasn't a travesty. It was just booked poorly. The way Benoit won is nothing to get outraged over, simply because he's been able to come out on top against HHH various other times before.

Benoit beat HHH in a triple threat match and triple threats mean nothing. It should've been Benoit vs Lesnar anyway.

means nothing. HHH had Benoit for the 3 count first anyway. I've only seen HHH tap once BTW. House shows are not seen and they also mean nothing.

Chris Benoit has STILL bettered Triple H on multiple occasions - something not many other people have done

No he hasn't. He's never got the better of him one on one. He even jobbed to him on Raw more convincingly than HHH "jobbed" tonight.

Yes, he has been treated badly. Benoit jobbed way more cleanly and decisively than HHH did tonight. Tonight Benoit looked very weak. Being pinned while the rep was out, getting no offence in the beginning where the general rule is that the face will always get the better of a heel at the start and won by a complete fluke after a sportsentertainment ending that lasted forever leaving the opening for HHH's rematch.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The PPV was better than the last 3 but that's not a great accomplishment or anything. Hopefully Summerslam will be good but the Smackdown side is probably going to be nothing but crap and Raw probably won't be able to save it with the everything on Raw involving Evolution.

Evolution entertains me

Therefore, I am not concerned if Evolution is in most of the main stories on RAW

And BECAUSE everyone on this board complains about the WWE not trying to entertain it's fan, I'd say they're doing the job for me

Maybe in this board's opinion, I'm not the RIGHT type of "fan"