TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

Some questions on Spiderman

I used to read a lot of the amazing spiderman a few years back and with the new movie being out and all was thinking about picking it back up again. I’m probably going to end up downloading what I’ve missed so far and had some questions regarding the different spiderman comics.

Do the peter parker spiderman comics follow the same timeline as the amazing spiderman comics? And are they any good? Also are there any side story comics that I should pick up to keep me up to date with the characters?

Any input would be appreciated.

Basically Peter Parker/Spectacular Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man are two seperate series. They each have their own stories that don't effect each other. Major things, like is Mary Jane broke both her arms, would be mentioned, but that's about it.

The one I read is Amazing, as it's written by J. Michael Stracynzki and he does an amazing job. The artists on that series (John Romita Jr and more recently Mike Deodato) are amazing and I highly reccommend it. You really won't need to go out of the way to pick any back issues up to get acclomated with what's going on, maybe an issue or so before just to have the complete story arc.

Guest SpiderFan

Amazing just started a new story arc in #509, so if you want to jump on, now would be a good time.

I recommend Ultimate Spider-man, too. It's not set in regular continuity, but in the Ultimate Universe. It's consistantly a good -> great read.

Uh, I found the "Ben O'Reily" stuff from that parody page, can anyone tell me in a nutshell what happens there? It sounds so interesting.

Yeah. It's a huge mega event clusterfuck which is maligned by 99% of readers, with good reason. In all honesty, I thought it was intriguing at first, and it was successful enough initially. But heads got too big and greed took over, to the point where it dragged far too long in an attempt to squeeze out a few extra sales. The whole thing ended up being a gigantic debacle.

Anyway, read this.

Uh, I found the "Ben O'Reily" stuff from that parody page, can anyone tell me in a nutshell what happens there? It sounds so interesting.

In a nutshell, a Spider-Man clone who died in an earlier Spider-Man story is alive, and is discovered to be the true Spidey, and takes the name Ben Reilly. Peter Parker is a clone. But it's discovered that all this is due to manipulations from the Green Goblin (also still alive), and that Reilly is actually, really, undoubtedly the clone, and Peter is the one true Spider-Man. Ben dies, and the whole thing is never mentioned again in the Marvel U.

I've skipped a lot of stuff, but that's the meat of it. You really need to read The Life of Reilly to get the whole thing, including some "behind the scenes" stuff. It's 35 parts, and a very good read.

I remember a few years ago the Spiderman gave up wearing the costume for a short period of time and changed his name to "Prodigy" or something. Did this happen during the Ben Reilly storyline or what? Maybe late 90s early 2000.

I remember a few years ago the Spiderman gave up wearing the costume for a short period of time and changed his name to "Prodigy" or something. Did this happen during the Ben Reilly storyline or what? Maybe late 90s early 2000.

I think that was when he assumed 4 different identities, which were then passed on to other people that formed a team and had a comic that lasted maybe 10 issues. I think that was after the Clone Wars though...

I remember a few years ago the Spiderman gave up wearing the costume for a short period of time and changed his name to "Prodigy" or something.  Did this happen during the Ben Reilly storyline or what?  Maybe late 90s early 2000.

I think that was when he assumed 4 different identities, which were then passed on to other people that formed a team and had a comic that lasted maybe 10 issues. I think that was after the Clone Wars though...

Names were Richochet , Hornet, Dusk and prodigy. I think the group was formed by the black marvel after peter ditched the suits.

#1. It switced to it's "regular" numbering with 500 I think...

Any idea what was the final issue number of the first volume?

Guest SpiderFan
Any idea what was the final issue number of the first volume?

The last numbers were Amazing #441, Peter Parker: Spider-man #98, Spectacular #263, Sensational #33, Unlimited #22.

Post reboot, only Amazing and Peter Parker: Spider-man were published. Peter Parker: Spider-man was relaunched as Spectacular Spider-man Vol. 2 last year.

That was in 1998, two years after the clone saga and one year prior to the reboot (which BTW is hated even more than the Clone Saga, to such an extent that many comic fans consider the first two and a half years of the reboot to be more damaging to the Spiderman franchise than the Clone Saga)...

I used to read a lot of the amazing spiderman a few years back and with the new movie being out and all was thinking about picking it back up again. I’m probably going to end up downloading what I’ve missed so far and had some questions regarding the different spiderman comics.

Do the peter parker spiderman comics follow the same timeline as the amazing spiderman comics? And are they any good? Also are there any side story comics that I should pick up to keep me up to date with the characters?

Any input would be appreciated.

Spectacular Spidey, Amazing Spidey, and Marvel Knights Spidey are all part of the regular Marvel Universe and feature the same old Spidey. Sadly, unlike in the older days, the books are pretty much self-contained so you rarely get any crossovers or referrences to the goings on in the other Spidey books.

Ultimate Spidey on the other hand takes place in the "Ultimate Marvel" universe and has noting to do with the other Spidey books...

Not sure if my memory is right here but does 441 end with a cliffhanger continued in peter parker spiderman?

ASM #441 is the first part of the MUCH HATED "FINAL CHAPTER", which had Howard Mackie take a HUGE shit on Tom DeFalco's subplot about Peter and MJ's baby still being alive, featured Green Goblin finally getting his comeuppence off-panel inbetween the events of Parts 3 and 4, and brought us the pathetic running gag that is "The Genetically Altered Actress" retcon that Mackie used to resurrect Aunt May and to erase her from ever knowing Spidey's secret ID...

Needless to say, Final Chapter (along with the "Gathering of the Five, which occurred the month before "The Final Chapter") along with the first two years of the reboot are pretty much the Spidey franchise hitting rock bottom and are so reviled and hated that it singlehandedly redeemed the Clone Saga in the eyes of Marvel fans by the sheer fact that as bad and as intelligence insulting as the Clone Saga was, compared that the GOT5/TFC/Reboot run, the Clone Saga was fucking Shakespear in comparision....

Guest SpiderFan
Not sure if my memory is right here but does 441 end with a cliffhanger continued in peter parker spiderman?

It was part 1 in a four part arc. Part 2 was in Spider-man #97, Part 3 was in #263 and the conclusion is Spider-man #98.

Sadly, unlike in the older days, the books are pretty much self-contained so you rarely get any crossovers or referrences to the goings on in the other Spidey books.

Why is that a bad thing? I'd rather not have to buy all the books to get a complete story.

Needless to say, Final Chapter (along with the "Gathering of the Five, which occurred the month before "The Final Chapter") along with the first two years of the reboot are pretty much the Spidey franchise hitting rock bottom and are so reviled and hated that it singlehandedly redeemed the Clone Saga in the eyes of Marvel fans

Hmm, I don't know. The Clone Saga is still pretty hated. Most fans I talk with don't even mention the reboot anymore, but still shudder at the word 'clone.'

Guest SpiderFan

in January 1999, Marvel cancelled all the Spider books and relaunced Amazing Spider-man and Peter Parker: Spider-man with new numbering, starting at number 1. The stories are terrible, and are some of the worst Spider-man stories ever written. The plots were inane, the characters were whiny and unlikeable, and there was little to no pay off to the big storylines.

Here's links to an indepth look of the 'Reboot Years':

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/YearOne.html (1999)

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/YearTwo.html (2000)

Here's links to an indepth look at the 2 post Mackie/Byrne (reboot) year, which were much better then 99/00 were:

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/YearThree.html (2001)

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/YearinRevie...derman2002.html (2002)

Thanks for the info guys. Also could you guys please explain this "reboot" run?

Along with the piece of shit Chapter One, the reboot was Marvel's attempt at letting Howard Mackie and John Byrne destroy the Spidey franchise on the basis that Marvel editorial believed that Spidey had to have a totally shit life in order for this book to sell and that MJ was the anti-christ who scarred away comic readers.

Some hightlights of the reboot's shit nature:

Peter's life turning to shit and him losing his home, all of his personal possessions, his friends, his wife, and ending up homeless and sleeping on the streets

Sandman turns evil again and reveals that he's been faking being good all this time

(which was so negatively received that Marvel rushed out a back-up story that retconned this retcon so as to have the Sandman be brainwashed into being evil again)

Mysterio running around in the Spidey books at the same time he was killed off in Daredevil, with Mysterio claiming that he faked his death in DD and not to mention Mackie spoiling the fact that Mysterio dies in DD before the issue even came out

Howard Mackie ramrodding Gwen Stacy's obnoxious cousin Jill into the Spidey books as a new love-interest to Peter and having her be portrayed as a complete and utter stalker

Mary-Jane suddenly turning into an utter bitch so that (and this is the god's honest truth) when they blew her up in a plane crash that fans would cheer her demise

The utterly unlikable John Byrne created Spiderwoman III, who was immeadiately trying to force Spidey to fuck him days after MJ died

JJJ turning into a one-dimensional asshole who not only hated Spidey but also treated Mary Jane like shit (leading to a tasteless scene where JJJ makes a joke at the fact that MJ was dead upon hearing the news....

The Green Goblin that Norman Osborn was using as a stand-in turning out to be a shapeshifting clone of Harry Osborn, who dies immeadiately upon being unmasked.

Carnage running around naked and covered in red paint

And most importantly a shit main storyline involving a generic Senator who everyone including the various Spidey villains are trying to kill because he is supposed tto be a mass murdering monster that dragged on for months on end before finally being mercy-killed as a part of the equally shitty Maximum Security X-Over.

That does sound like complete crap. Have the rectified everything yet or is it still going down the crapper?

Sort of.

In Peter Parker: Spiderman #20 they brought Paul Jenkins was onboard to salvage the wreckage while Babylon 5's JMS was hired to write Amazing Spidey. Meanwhile Mackie brought back Mary Jane from the dead but editorial fucked fans over again by having MJ leave Peter immeadiately after she came back.

Meanwhile JMS decided to keep MJ gone from the book so he could do his "Magic Spider" story which had Ezikeal (crappy spelling) appearing and telling Peter that he got his powers not from a magic spider. He also deepsixed Spidey's entire supporting cast and made Peter become a science teacher.

After the first six months of crap, JMS's ASM improves as he has Aunt May find out Peter is Spidey and starts working to bring Mary Jane back (though it took Kevin Smith threatening to go public with Marvel's "MJ is the root of all evil in the comic industry" dogma to get them to let JMS bring her back and keep the two married). Sadly the villains become more and more magic based as Dr Strange becomes a regular in the title. The only regular Spidey villain who appears is Dr Octopus, who is actually played as being a sympathetic figure by JMS, especially when compared to a previous Jenkin's written Spidey story involving Doc Ock.

Meanwhile Paul Jenkins does a lot of non-action stories that the bulk of which involve Peter having flashbacks to Uncle Ben raising him. Towards the end of his run editorial starts making him do more action stories including the return of the Green Goblin in a shit story that ends with Jenkins ripping off Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" after Jenkins has the Green Goblin put long-time Spidey supporting cast member Flash Thompson in a permenant coma while ending the arc with Peter forgiving Norman for killing Gwen Stacy while Norman pulls out a gun from his dresser drawer and carresses it while starring vacantly into space.

Recent stories by jenkins have been ultra crappy as Jenkins fucked up Venom (by turning Brock into a wussy who had terminal cancer and who is at the utter mercy of his hentai-esque costume monster) and more lame stuff with Doc Ock being just a stock villain who is evil for evil's sake.

Don't forget during the reboot there was a story with Venom were Brock and suit were apart. Brock know that Parker was Spider-Man but, when the suit and Brock bonded and became Venom he wouldn't have any idea who Spider-Man really was and the suit made no effort in telling Brock.

I think the part where I stopped reading was when MJ "died" in the planecrash. And after reading all this I have no intention to follow that bit up.

I got a copy of amazing 509, I haven't had the chance to read it yet but the artwork is very sweet.

Guest SpiderFan
Meanwhile Paul Jenkins does a lot of non-action stories that the bulk of which involve Peter having flashbacks to Uncle Ben raising him.

Alot of Jenkins stuff is good character introspection. Good stuff if you don't mind stories that are light on action. Peter Parker: Spider-man #33 is a particually good character story.

Towards the end of his run editorial starts making him do more action stories including the return of the Green Goblin in a shit story that ends with Jenkins ripping off Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" after Jenkins has the Green Goblin put long-time Spidey supporting cast member Flash Thompson in a permenant coma while ending the arc with Peter forgiving Norman for killing Gwen Stacy while Norman pulls out a gun from his dresser drawer and carresses it while starring vacantly into space.

He didn't so much forgive him as he did point out that he's tired of trying to hate Goblin. He's tired of living in fear of him killing his family. So he tells him to go ahead, do it, it'll just strengthen Pete's resolve, and right there, Goblin knows he has nothing on Pete. He can't beat him one on one, and he can't mentally break him. He can't control Pete. He's lost.

I liked the story. It was one of the better Goblin stories, and certainly the best one since Marvel resurrected Norman.

Recent stories by jenkins have been ultra crappy as Jenkins fucked up Venom

Venom was fucked along time ago due to over exposure and Marvel trying to turn him into an anti-hero. Jenkin's story actually gave Venom some more depth, has now he has another reason to hate Spider-man. Brock's going to always live in pain now, becaue the suit's keeping him alive, and he's permantly bonded with the suit, thanks to Spider-man.

I will agree that Jenkin's Doc Ock story, his Lizard story, and the Avengers Dssasbmled crossover were all crap. Although, with the Avengers one, I think he dogged it because he didn't want to do a crossover, and editorial forced him into it.

That does sound like complete crap. Have the rectified everything yet or is it still going down the crapper?

Overall, the titles are pretty good right now. Amazing & Ultimate are great, MK is decent (it's really ramped up Electro's powers, but the characterization of the main cast is somewhat iffy) and Spectacular is hit or miss, depending on the issue (the rotating artists don't help much either, I prefer one team working on a book)

Most of the Spidey titles (including ASM) are hit and miss, but ASM hits more than it misses. USM is consistently good, if occasionally a little fluffy. MKSM, well it doesn't appeal to me but I can see why others like it.

All in all the Spidey books are in pretty decent shape. It's very likely ONE of the four books will appeal to you and they each seem to be doing well with their target of the fans.