TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PlatinumBoy

60's CD I just made......

Guest PlatinumBoy

I just spent an hour and a half (due to the new stupid AllMusic.com being slow/down) making a 60's CD. The 2 rules I had was that the songs had to go in chronological order, and only 2 songs per band. Here's the setlist--I think it's pretty kick ass, wanted to see what others thought:

Bob Dylan: The Times They are a Changin'

The Kinks: You Really Got Me

The Beatles: 8 Days a Week

Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone

The Who: The Kids are Alright

Rolling Stones: Get Off my Cloud

Beach Boys: Wouldn't it be Nice

Simon and Garfunkel: Scarbourough Fair

Cream: Sunshine of Your Love

Pink Floyd: Bike

Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze

Beach Boys: Good Vibrations

The Who: I Can See for Miles

Simon and Garfunkel: America

Leonard Cohen: Suzanne

Tommy James + The Shondells: Crimson and Clover

Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower

Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man

David Bowie: Space Oddity

Beatles: Come Together

Mainly made it as some easier/oldies stuff to listen to in the car, and as a late Father's Day gift, since my Dad is a fan of the old stuff. I still think it's better than all those Time Life rock CDs and old compliations.

Guest Choken One

Man I thought you said you made 60 CD's.

I was like...DAMN some one was bored.

Guest Choken One

As for the cd itself; it was good as you basically said you wanted it for your father and those songs are the precise well known songs off what i would percheive to be his "generation". I can't really argue that none of those songs SHOULDN'T be on the comp and I'm not one to say what should have been added to the list either.

I certaintly would listen to that comp in my car as well.

barring a few exceptions...it is very Radio. Any station in my area (and that's not many) probably play most of those songs, as Inc said.

I think it would have been better to see you try to make a 60's CD that contained popular songs that wouldn't get much radio-play today. Personally, I mark out for the song "In The Year 2525", but I don't know about anyone else.

The Beatles: 8 Days a Week

Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone

Rolling Stones: Get Off my Cloud

Beach Boys: Wouldn't it be Nice

Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze

Beach Boys: Good Vibrations

Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower

David Bowie: Space Oddity

Beatles: Come Together

I've only ever heard those songs actually played by my local radio station, but it's pretty terrible.

Honestly I don't think it's too bad. Yes there are songs that are still played and overplayed by the radio today, but they are a fairly good indication of some of the most popular songs from that decade. If I were to create my own 60s CD it would look nothing like it, but I'm not going to fault any of the song choices, except Eight Days A Week which, while fun, doesn't stand out from the pack for me of early Beatles stuff. But otherwise it's not too bad a collection.

Also, I'd put In The Year 2525 in any compilation CD it is applicable for, but I'm a drongo like that.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Califonia Dreams - Mama's and Papa's

Only the Lonely- Roy Orbison

Suspectious Minds -Elvis

Rubber Ball

I fought the Law (and the law won)

Cara Mia - Jay and the Americans

My picks....off the top of my head

Guest Frank_Nabbit
Suspectious Minds

Off topic, but that's the worst spelling I've ever seen.

Bar none.

Read my member title, its read that since I hit 100 posts....

I've heard "Like a Rolling Stone," though not "The Times They are a Changin'." "...Stone," in addition to "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35" and "Just Like a Woman," are the only Dylan songs I've heard on the radio.

the one i hear far most often on the radio is "lay lady lay." after that, probably "i want you." don't think i've ever heard anything else of his.

I'd put 'God Only Knows' on there, along with maybe 'Surfin USA', an earlier Beach Boys song

For the Beatles, I'd have Strawberry Fields Forever and maybe Please Please Me to give a good balance.

My Dylan on the radio: Like A Rolling Stone, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Lay Lady Lay, Just Like A Woman.

That's what Dylan they play in other countries.

I, too, would choose God Only Knows above all other Beach Boys songs, but that's just personal taste.

"Like A Rolling Stone" gets overplayed around here, but I'll be damned if I can think of any other his other songs I have heard more then once.

Oh, "Hurricane" is on sometimes.

That's a good list, true a little classic rock radio, but not songs you get sick of.

You do suffer a little due to lack of Byrds, Hollies, Mamas and the Papas and that "Eve of Destruction" song.

With The Kinks, just look for The Kink Kronikles as a good starting guide. It's a hits package of sorts when they were trying to re-establish themselves in the early 70s. But along with hit singles it has some B-Sides and album tracks. Probably one of the best Compilation Albums out there. Very thorough.

That's what I'd recommend to start at, anyway.

Guest PlatinumBoy

To people who hear this on the radio--I wish I could in Atlanta. We have the following "rock" stations. The Classic Rock Station--which now plays RHCP, REM, etc. and used to play basically Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Allman Brothers, Queen, etc.--maybe play Knocking on Heavens Door by Dylan and Come Together and some stones. The "Oldies" station, which plays very little true 60's rock. The "Rock" station which plays the same songs over and over, and the "Alt Rock" station which always has one rap song to be cool in their rotation. Atlanta radio is the shits. Making this CD though has inspired me (well that and boredom due to being on my college campus and only being able to work 2 hours a day, plus only take home tests till early August = no point in studying) to make similar CD's for the 50's on up--with the songs in chronological order. Also, since this was made for my parents, I tended toward more famous songs from bands they would know, as when we talk about 60's music from THEIR time, the conversation is like:

Me: "So Mom, Dad, who was the best Yardbird guitarist?"

Them: "Huh?"

Me: "You know the Yardbirds, right.... who was best, Clapton, Beck, or Page?"

Them: "We kinda remeber them--but neither of us know who Beck or Page are so Clapton automatically."

Though they don't know that much, it doesn't mean they don't listen to some good stuff. In my parents car they usual have like Abba Gold, some Johnny Cash or Springsteen or Billy Joel going, maybe some Goulet or Orbison or something--but they wouldn't know a band like Velvet Underground from Velvet Revolver.

Edited to say the WORST PARENTAL MUSIC THING EVER! Was when I was laying in my room just kinda thinking with the door open listening to Grace by Jeff Buckley, and my Mom walked by and heard the line in Hallejuah "She tied you to her kitchen chair...." and started laughing thinking it was Adam Sandler based on that one line and the mellow guitar. Once I played the whole song for her she got into the Buckley lovin', but before that eep. Also, I'd say I have good taste in music and know some obscure stuff--though many on this board trump me--I loved giving girls in high school rides home and have them go through my CDs and be like "Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steve Miller Band, Butch Walker, Bob Dylan, etc. etc. You need some Backstreet Boys or Nelly--you know music real people listen to that has guys people have heard of!" Nothing is worse than the attractive white girl who has Chingy as her ringtone, watches TRL everyday, and quotes Blender and Entertainment Weekly like either magazine has more credibility than a homeless person.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've never really encountered a girl dumb enough to be oblivious to bands as huge as Zeppelin and The Stones. Classic rock radio permeates this area, and they're about as staple as it gets with that genre.

I like my music to confuse girls. The last thing I want to do is play something they genuinely know and like, because then I'd probably hate it.

Guest PlatinumBoy
I've never really encountered a girl dumb enough to be oblivious to bands as huge as Zeppelin and The Stones. Classic rock radio permeates this area, and they're about as staple as it gets with that genre.

I like my music to confuse girls. The last thing I want to do is play something they genuinely know and like, because then I'd probably hate it.

Once again your lucky, I know LOTS of dumb girls who have never heard of Led Zep, Skynyrd, Bob Dylan, The Who, Metallica, etc. etc.