TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Orwell rolls in his grave.....

Yeah, so I am sure the usual suspects will hate this, and the other ones will like it. I haven't seen it, just the trailer, and since the trailer is text with "doom N gloom" music in the background, it is hard to say who specifically they are going to go after in this documentary, but nonetheless, check out the trailer, and when it comes to your town, check it out, if not for anything else, then to provoke some conversation. I was gonna post this in the movie forum, but because of the content, I am sure the thread would turn into political debate anyway. Plus I would tend to think us folks that post in the CE forum would have the most interest in this anyway. Here is the link to the trailer.....

Orwell rolls in his grave

Oh and I think Mikey Moore is in it too, hahahahaha.

What is there to talk about? So far it's just scary music and words that we've seen before.

That number about six companies controlling all the news is phooey, though. I can start with the big media empires (Vivendi, Viacom, Disney, News Corp, Clear Channel, AOLTW) and there's six, but then you forget about the AP and Reuters, and we've still left out the various newspaper conglomos like the New York Times as well as the small regional papers, and we've completely forgotten about international news services such as the CBC, BBC, etc.

When it started out as addressing media conglomeration it had me, since I agree vertical integration is getting dangerous, but it totally lost me once I saw the Saddam/Osama garbage. God, don't these people have anything better to do?

Then make a movie? They're filmakers, what are they supposed to do? Just because it differs from your point of view it, doesn't mean it wont have an audience and having an audience for movies is really all that matters.

Guest Olympic Slam

I'm not too crazy about the whole Corporate monopoly on the media because it results in news directed at the lowest common denominator. Meaning that, everything is loud and blatantly sexual. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more diversity in the media in terms of slant, presentation, show and style choices ect. Although PBS is pretty left-wing, I actually like some of the show formats that wouldn't stand a chance in the free market.

However, I guess I'd rather have corporations control the media than the government or MUCH worse, a global entity.

Although PBS is pretty left-wing, I actually like some of the show formats that wouldn't stand a chance in the free market.

You need some of the Tucker Carlson show. Yes, he can now freely express a point without Carville shouting him down about Haliiburton and Bush as a crook.

Carville has got to be the most annoying Democratic talking head on TV. I'm really amazed at how much better Crossfire is when it's Carlson vs. Begala rather than Carlson vs. Carville, or even worse Novak vs. Carville.

Guest Olympic Slam
Although PBS is pretty left-wing, I actually like some of the show formats that wouldn't stand a chance in the free market.

You need some of the Tucker Carlson show. Yes, he can now freely express a point without Carville shouting him down about Haliiburton and Bush as a crook.

Carville has got to be the most annoying Democratic talking head on TV. I'm really amazed at how much better Crossfire is when it's Carlson vs. Begala rather than Carlson vs. Carville, or even worse Novak vs. Carville.

I can't watch the debate shows. Hannity and Colmes annoys me greatly, but Crossfire might be worse. I think Tucker Carlson was created in some kind of liberal science lab for their own amusement. The hair, the bow-tie, his poor speaking and debating skills, he's a tackling dummy for the left. I can't even LOOK at Carville. He looks like an exploding wallet.

God, Carville vs. Novak is horrendous.

Novak and Carville just don't seem to gel for some reason, unlike Carlson vs Begala

Novak and Carville show:

Carville: BUSH SUCKS!

Novak: BUSH RULES!

Carville: NEO-CONS SUCK!

Novak: YES THEY DO...BUT SO DOES JOHN KERRY!

etc. etc. etc.

Guest Olympic Slam

Oh god.........I stupidly wandered into the PBS message board via the Tucker Carlson link. It's like an elitist Christophobia summer camp! I couldn't clear my history trail fast enough.....

Guest evenflowDDT

Since there are no screenings in my area (as of yet, that may change given the very liberal nature of my University), and the "minimum donation" (something I've never understood...isn't a donation supposed to be something you give out of the goodness of your heart, even if it is tax-deductible?) is $30 (more than I'm paying for things that definitely intrigue me), I'll pass. It's nothing I haven't heard before.

And Slapnuts!, I assume, given the nature of the trailer/film, that they advertised the statistic of those believing a Saddam/bin Laden connection because they'll analyze how the news covered this issue. Whether you agree with it or not, your opinions have to come from somewhere, and their thesis is that it comes from a vertically integrated, oversimplified propaganda-spouting media.

Guest Cerebus

You want to see a good place where propganda is actually deconstructed and explained, check out Spinsanity. It's better than a "movie" that improperly understands the meaning of Orwell to rant on and on about Chomsky's theories.

can't watch the debate shows. Hannity and Colmes annoys me greatly, but Crossfire might be worse. I think Tucker Carlson was created in some kind of liberal science lab for their own amusement. The hair, the bow-tie, his poor speaking and debating skills, he's a tackling dummy for the left. I can't even LOOK at Carville. He looks like an exploding wallet.

See, to me, the reason I /CAN/ watch Crossfire but not H&C is that I find myself agreeing with either side through the show.

It's absolutely humiliating to watch Begala spin something that's clearly stupid, like when Kerry claimed Time Magazine loved his Medicare plan when the independent study Time hired specifically said nobody's plan actually "won" and Kerry never went back on his claim.

All I get out of Hannity & Colmes is "My God, Sean Hannity is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, prick."

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Nothing like a couple of media threads to get me back to posting after a couple of days off...

I think that SOME of H&C can be rather intelligent and interesting. Then the other 80% of the time it gets really grating. It's the way these debate shows work. They yell, scream, kick, piss, and moan, because anger=ratings. Hey, they need the money too. You can't have a debate show where someone is going to convince the other one of their point. If all else fails: namecalling and petty BS. But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.

--Ryan

Guest Olympic Slam
Nothing like a couple of media threads to get me back to posting after a couple of days off...

I think that SOME of H&C can be rather intelligent and interesting. Then the other 80% of the time it gets really grating. It's the way these debate shows work. They yell, scream, kick, piss, and moan, because anger=ratings. Hey, they need the money too. You can't have a debate show where someone is going to convince the other one of their point. If all else fails: namecalling and petty BS. But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.

--Ryan

Colmes: "Now now, not all liberals are like that........."

Hannity: "You really hate America don't you......."

There, I summed up every episode of Hannity and Colmes that has, and will ever happen.

The only American cable news network we get in Australia "as is" (we get CNN and CNBC, but they're 'international' versions) is Fox, so I don't know if this is just them, but can cable news get over the Laci Peterson case? Is it really that interesting to warrant at the very least, half an hour of discussion a day? Like, he killed her. We get it already.

Welcome to the American fascination with scandal. If it bleeds, it leads.

Laci Peterson is the new Monica, which was the new OJ, which was the new 1994 figure skating scandal, and so on. We like to latch onto our crimes and milk them in every possible direction for everything they're worth. Even the abortion crowd has jumped on this for oppertunity.

Guest Olympic Slam

The media goes ga-ga over some stories and builds them up to the point that some people (like ME) eventually turn on the story. Princess Diana, Sonny Bono and JFK Jr's deaths come to mind immediately.

Gary Condit was a "victim" of no other interesting news. I think pre-9/11 the cable news networks in 2001 were running with Condit, Stem Cell research and buckle the fuck up; SHARK ATTACKS as their lead stories. It escapes me as to whether Sean Hannity reffered to any of those sharks as unpatriotic.

The Laci Peterson story annoys me to no end. You'd think this was the first ever murder in the history of America or something. Stay at home soccer moms are IN LOVE with this trial though. It has everything of one of those D level Lifetime movies + the intrigue of your typical soap opera. Its no surprise this thing is getting mad coverage.

Debate shows are fun once in awhile, but after watching them too much you just start to hear the company line repeated. Especially on Crossfire(new style) and Hannity & Mr. Quiet.

Typical Hannity interview with anyone left of the ------------>right

Hannity: Welcome to to the show lefty, so it says here, you hate america

"Lefty": Oh, well I don't

Hannity: Why do you hate america sir, just answer the question.

"Lefty" I don't hate america, can we talk about the policy I came to speak about?

Hannity: Sir, if Saddam was still in power, Rape rooms, Mass Graves.....

"Lefty" We are supposed to be talking about(cut off)

Hannity: Rape Rooms, Mass Graves, Torture Chambers(repeat 3 times)

"Lefty" Ok well since we are going to be speaking on this topic, let me just say(mic cut off)

Hannity: Sorry, we are out of time, thanks for coming on the show.

Bah, I've seen Lefties do the same thing:

Reporter: Congressman, why do you want to cut school lunches.

GOP: We're not -- we're spending more.

Reporter: But Clinton says you hate children, you don't hate children, do you?

(I could go on, but I'm tired of typing the names already...)

Bah, I've seen Lefties do the same thing:

Reporter: Congressman, why do you want to cut school lunches.

GOP: We're not -- we're spending more.

Reporter: But Clinton says you hate children, you don't hate children, do you?

(I could go on, but I'm tired of typing the names already...)

Like this one time I saw this guy make an example of something the guys on the right do. Then I saw the guy on the right make with a comeback using the same tactic the first guy had used as an example.

And next time type all the names. Quit being lazy. :bonk:

Well since I am a "hippie" then are you going to pretend that the majority of your opinions do not come from the right wing POV? If so then you can pretend I'm not a hippie.

:spank:

Must have hit pretty close to home for him to get him all "shootin'".