TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Dodgers open up a series in Houston tonight. Hopefully a sweep so the Astros fall out of the race completely and trade Beltran to the Dodgers :)

If anyone cares...

Report: PNC to host '06 ASG

By Ed Eagle / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- PNC Park will be the site of the 2006 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, according to a report published on Monday in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Pirates and Major League Baseball have called a press conference for Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET, at which time it will likely be announced that the Pirates have been awarded the right to host the 2006 Midsummer Classic. Commissioner Bud Selig is expected to be on hand to make the announcement.

MLB.com will have the press conference live in both video and audio formats.

Pirates GM Dave Littlefield would neither confirm nor deny that his club had submitted the winning bid, but he did recognize that the ability to host the event would be a great asset for both the organization and the city.

"We've got a beautiful ballpark at PNC Park," he said. "To be able to showcase it would be tremendous accomplishment for the region."

In April, Pirates CEO and general managing partner Kevin McClatchy announced that Pittsburgh was one of five cities being considered as candidates to host the event. He and his staff worked with officials from the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County for several months to develop a proposal that outlined the city's ability to handle the influx of fans, baseball officials and media who would flock to the region for the All-Star festivities.

"It's a very extensive process," said McClatchy at the time. "I want to make sure folks know that the city, county and a lot of people spent a lot of time with us trying to get this. It does have a strong economic impact on the region."

In addition to helping the city's economy, the event should help the team increase its season ticket base, which has decreased since PNC Park opened to rave reviews in 2001. The club saw an increase in ticket sales of 40 percent prior to hosting the 1994 All-Star Game at Three Rivers Stadium.

"A lot of people have said that the 1994 All-Star Game in Pittsburgh was one of the best they have ever seen," said McClatchy. "I think that shows that Pittsburgh can do it."

In addition to the 1994 contest, Pittsburgh has been the site of the 1944, 1959 and 1974 Midsummer Classics.

Guest FrigidSoul
Dodgers open up a series in Houston tonight. Hopefully a sweep so the Astros fall out of the race completely and trade Beltran to the Dodgers :)

From all accounts the Dodgers sound like they'd rather upgrade 1B and are hoping either Delgado waves his no-trade clause or KC becomes willing to deal Mike Sweeney.

Pittsburgh's got a nice stadium, so that should be a good event.

Not to mention that in 06 many Pirates could be involved in the event. Either way kkk is going to have to buy tickets, give us somewhere to stay, and then drive us to the stadium.

Guest Anglesault
I'm pulling for a Dodger sweep too.

As am I.

Just because.

BTW, if you ever want a good laugh, watch a Roy White/Hideki Matsui conversation.

Guest FrigidSoul

Speaking of Cards/Cubs, Jim Edmonds hits a 2 run homer in his second plate appearance. In his first one he was drilled in the thigh by a 96mph fastball, so after hitting the homer he stood there and watched it. Well a couple minutes after Edmonds gets back in the dugout Michael Barrett goes over and yells in his direction. That causes the benches to clear but no punches are thrown.

Edmonds 2 run HR draws the ire of Zambrano and catcher Michael Barrett, and brought the teams out for a sing-a-long.

Beat me to it FS, but yes interesting situation especially as much shit Zambrano was talking as Edmonds rounded the bases.

Guest Salacious Crumb

At least we'll get some different teams after this week. Did they really need to play every meeting between these two games? They even had Cards/Cubs on ESPNClassics today.

Al should do a column on the teams that are completely out of it (M's) and what they should do to prepare for the next offseason.

Guest Anglesault

You know, if I wasn't informed that there has never been a first place team in baseball with serious flaws, I'd be pretty irritated with the events of tonight's Yankee/Devil Ray game.

As is, I guess I'll just have to watch my team let fly balls drop between two people (on two separate occasions, mind you) and go "aww shucks"

Well, it's only one game, and the Yankees did a decent job of digging themselves out of a Graman created hole, so I guess there is some bright side to this game.

Edited by Anglesault

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE loss for the Mets tonight. Blowing a 9th inning lead against the Marlins. Erickson pitched well, but the defense again stunk and Looper blows the game. Look for this to cause the Mets to slide. That has been said a lot about this team this season, but I think it's happening for real this time. They have come back from tough losses this year but I don't know if they can do it this time. Do the Marlins ever lose to the Mets or Phils? Seriously? They are like 15 under against everybody else. I'm trying to remain level headed and realize this isn't a playoff team and for the most part I've succeeded, but this one still stings.

Playing against Andruw Jones is an exercise in frustration. You can't possibly hit anything in the air and expect a hit.

Let's throw in, if Charles Thomas' fielding is for real (not a one game fluke), you are now up to about 75% of the outfield you are not getting a flyball hit to. He was just insane tonight.

The Comcast postgame show was amusing, apparently they lost tonight because Bobby Abreu is not as good of a fielder as Andruw Jones and let a ball drop in front of him. It is unfair to compare anyone defensively to Andruw Jones.

Also need to mention it is really time to end this Paul Abbott as a starting pitcher charade. If the Phils management really believes that Gavin Floyd, Ryan Madson, or even Brian Powell can't do better than Abbott they need to blow the whole team up. Looking at Abbott's BBs, Ks, and HRs (9 HRs in 37 IP?!?) his four and a half ERA is pure luck. I guess they don't have David Bell's "He's a winner" stamp of approval.

Guest FrigidSoul

In Seattle the Ump lost track of the number of balls and had to actually call upstairs to the official scorer to find out.

That's not going to help the case for umpiring this season.