TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Does anyone know of any way to contact ESPN, (Email or Phone) as they are blacking out the Cubs/Reds game in Cincy, even though the game is in Chicago and is not on a Cincy station. They have done this twice already. The blackout rules only stop them from showing a game if it is on a local station. Basically they are just saying they will never show a reds game in Cincy on ESPN.

It is something that is bugging the fuck out of me.

Thats odd, as I am about 45 miles from Cincinnati and we have it, and no it doesn't make any sense.

AK, that will be an interesting scenario with Bret Boone. I hope there are no takers to see if they would release him, likely triggering a battle between the union and the Mariners.

They started showing it for me during the 3rd inning. I live on campus so we have a different cable operation, I called 3 different places before it came back on.

Also, bad call by the umpire to end the Reds 7th. Bases loaded 2 out, 3-2 pitch is easily a ball and called a strike, costs the reds the game possibly.

I now realize why the umpires are called blue, you might as well have put a cubs hat on the home plate umpire. I consider that a reds victory because by all rights it was one.

When you are a bad enough ump that the opposing announcer calls ball four, then laughs that the ump called strike 3 you should be out of a job. I basically never complain about the umps, in fact I do not think I ever have. That home plate ump was the most biased I have ever seen. He squeezed Paul Wilson all day, and anything close was a strike when the cubs were on the mound.

Also, Griffey was playing football in the reds clubhouse before the game yesterday and will probably come off the dl and start on Monday.

Guest FrigidSoul
Tonight, chat LIVE with TSM baseball writer, Alan Keiper, from 8-10 Eastern.

I would get giddy and jump around if I didn't do this almost everyday of my life at the moment. hehehe

Could be a tough night for the Orioles as it appears Pedro is getting the pre-questec Greg Maddux strike zone tonight.

Guest FrigidSoul

Wow, Tejada just pulled a videogame-esque play out of his ass.

Soft hit pop-up to short Center and he dove for it the way you would see somebody in MVP Baseball do it. I didn't think he had enough time or his body could stretch enough to get to it.

MLB Chat is beginning soon. Here's the link. Cut and paste into your browser....

aim:gochat?roomname=MLBsmartmarkschat

This is not meant to replace this thread. Just as a supplement.

Edited by alkeiper

I now realize why the umpires are called blue, you might as well have put a cubs hat on the home plate umpire. I consider that a reds victory because by all rights it was one.

When you are a bad enough ump that the opposing announcer calls ball four, then laughs that the ump called strike 3 you should be out of a job. I basically never complain about the umps, in fact I do not think I ever have. That home plate ump was the most biased I have ever seen. He squeezed Paul Wilson all day, and anything close was a strike when the cubs were on the mound.

I didn't get to see anything past the third inning, but I thought both starters were getting similar calls. Clement walked a few guys, so it's not like the ump's strikezone was that bad. Factor in the heavy rains and it's likely that the ump's strikezone grew, since they wanted to get the game in.

Also, Griffey was playing football in the reds clubhouse before the game yesterday and will probably come off the dl and start on Monday.

Which is a shame if it means that it sends Pena back to the bench. He's been one of the most productive guys on the team as of late. If Cincy isn't going to play him, they should ship him off, since he's looks like he'll be a very good player once someone smooths the rough edges.

Guest tangerine

The Reds will likely just slide Pena over to Right Field once Junior is reinserted into the line up. Kearns is still out for a while.

The Reds have had plently of opportunties to trade Pena but haven't because they always figured he would be a asset to the team and he's showing just why that is.

Guest FrigidSoul

Why Manny stole the cut-off throw on that inside the park home-run and not let it go to Bellhorn is beyond me.

Guest Soylent Green Is People

Ryan Drese continues his run of strong pitching games at home, leading Texas to a 3-2 win over Anaheim, putting them 3 games up on Oakland and 6 up on the Angels. This run of divisional games could open up a decent gap on the AL West for Texas, but it's just as likely to leave the three division contenders as muddled as ever.

The Phillies beat the Marlins

Holy shit! How the hell did THAT ever happen? :P

Ryan Drese continues his run of strong pitching games at home, leading Texas to a 3-2 win over Anaheim, putting them 3 games up on Oakland and 6 up on the Angels. This run of divisional games could open up a decent gap on the AL West for Texas, but it's just as likely to leave the three division contenders as muddled as ever.

This is terrific. I've had tickets to the Rangers/A's game next Saturday (7/31) for a couple of months now, but I never thought so much could really be on the line for either team in the game. Should make the trip north even better now.

David Wright goes 0-4 in his MLB debut as the Mets hold on to beat Montreal 5-4. In seeing Wright for the first time, his bat looked slow, but he seems to be a patient hitter who takes pitches and works counts, which is what the Mets need big time

I'm at the first game of the Red Sox/Orioles doubleheader tommorow. the Red Sox still haven't announced who is starting. I bet we see the return of *shudder* BK Kim or worst case scenario whatever PawSox pitcher is next in their rotation. Any Major League ready starters in the Red Sox farm system alkeiper?

I'm at the first game of the Red Sox/Orioles doubleheader tommorow. the Red Sox still haven't announced who is starting. I bet we see the return of *shudder* BK Kim or worst case scenario whatever PawSox pitcher is next in their rotation. Any Major League ready starters in the Red Sox farm system alkeiper?

Not really. Byung Hyun Kim is probably the Sox best option. John Stephens is a favorite, but he gives up WAY too many home runs. Frank Castillo is kicking around Pawtucket as well, and he could fill in.

Guest Anglesault
Looking for confirmation on this story but I read on another board that WFAN has reported that the Pirates have traded Jason Kendall and Kris Benson to the Mets for Ty Wigginton, Jason Phillips, and a prospect.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't do it, Mets! He's the New Mike Schmidt!

In other news, Jason Giambi took himself out of the game tonight, and was spotted leaving the stadium at 3:30 wearing possibly the ugliest outfit on earth. Fatigues and some trucker hat that made him look like he should be sitting on a rotting porch in Tennessee holding a rifle.

Also, The Devil Jays aren't very good, and Pat Hentgen doesn't even resemble the guy who "won" ::cough cough hack hack hack:: the Cy Young in 96

Pena was a third baseman, he played it during spring training last year. In the offseason I would tell him to work on taking ground balls again.

Having Jimenez, Larkin, Casey, Griffey, Kearns, Dunn, Pena, LaRue as your starting lineup makes me very happy. Now, all we need is pitching. If Carl would just resign Lidle and Wilson, along with Claussen and Harang, we would have a decent 4.