TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Guest FrigidSoul

Kentucky Fried Kevin might be coming out of his year long offensive coma.

In a report yesterday A's ownership said they will put up $100 million for a new stadium, which is about 25% of what will be needed. If they can't get the stadium built (which would be located at the same site as the current stadium) they will sell the team likely to owners who would move the team. Sorta good and bad news. I'm not sure they can get the rest soley from the private sector so they'd probably still have use some tax payer money. Guess it's at least a start.

But...the A's don't need a new stadium. The Oakland Coliseum looks to be in fine shape structurally, and the A's seem to be quite comfy there. Don't they have the best home field advantage in baseball? They don't need some typical retro park, just let them keep doin' their thing in that big ugly concrete thing with its huge-ass foul territory.

Would Phillies fans be up for a Lowe and Mendoza for Milwood deal? All 3 players are FAs after the season and the Phillies would still save around $3mill. I'd be happy with that deal as a Red Sox fan.

Good god no. Mendoza has barely pitched this season. Lowe looks every bit as bad as his piss poor peripherals would indicate. There's no way this trade improves the Phillies.

ESPNNews has got to stop mentioning no hitters in the 6th inning. I don't believe in a jinx, but with the laws of probability, no hitters aren't worth getting excited about until the middle of the 8th inning.

Boston's season ended tonight when their "Ace" and their "closer" (I use that term extremely loosely) both sucked a big fat one tonight.

Man it's good to see I was right about Foulke being unable to handle the pressure of being a Red Sox.

Guest Anglesault
Boston's season ended tonight when their "Ace" and their "closer" (I use that term extremely loosely) both sucked a big fat one tonight.

Eh, I think you can afford Schilling (a legit Cy Young contender) a bad game. And crappy defense (The Sierra play, Millar's non-efforts on the balls down the first base line) helped no one.

Guest Anglesault

It should be noted, that i, on the other hand, hold no such obligation to that ass, so I'll show you pictures of Curt openly weeping in the dugout after realizing that he did everything in his power to pour the dirt on his Red Sox.

72304SchillingCries1.JPG72304SchillingCries2.JPG

Reports of him going home and rocking back and forth in the corner while sucking his thumb and clutching his Yankee Hater cap are unconfirmed.

I really think we can start to consider Derrek Lee amongst the elite players of Major League Baseball..... just gotta ignore April and May every year from now on.

ESPNNews has got to stop mentioning no hitters in the 6th inning. I don't believe in a jinx, but with the laws of probability, no hitters aren't worth getting excited about until the middle of the 8th inning.

The worst was when ESPN interupted ATH to show that Toronto kid in the 8th, and he IMMEDIATELY gives up a single :headbang:

In a report yesterday A's ownership said they will put up $100 million for a new stadium, which is about 25% of what will be needed. If they can't get the stadium built (which would be located at the same site as the current stadium) they will sell the team likely to owners who would move the team. Sorta good and bad news. I'm not sure they can get the rest soley from the private sector so they'd probably still have use some tax payer money. Guess it's at least a start.

But...the A's don't need a new stadium. The Oakland Coliseum looks to be in fine shape structurally, and the A's seem to be quite comfy there. Don't they have the best home field advantage in baseball? They don't need some typical retro park, just let them keep doin' their thing in that big ugly concrete thing with its huge-ass foul territory.

I know they don't and I'd be perefectly happy if they never did. But in Bud Selig's world the A's won't be allowed to stay in Oakland if they don't build a new stadium or at least take a real step in that direction. So in that reality I have to hope a new stadium will be built, although with as little amount of public funds as possible. Extortion is hell of a drug for Mr. Selig.

Speaking of the home field advantage, the Rangers kicked the shit out of them and Mulder tonight. If the Rangers come into Oakland and win the series (or god forbid sweep) I'll now officially be worried about them. This has really been one of the most shocking turn arounds I've ever seen.

^Too bad he's stuck on the Pirates.

I was going to post the exact same thing. It's odd that all the talk in regards to Pirates pitching is about Kris Benson, when I've been more impressed with Perez.

Calling the Sox' season over is pretty foolish, since they'll still be contenders for the WC. They won't catch the Yanks, but they may slide in for the fourth AL postseason spot.

Since the game wasn't on here, from the sounds of it, the Phillies left quite a few guys on base tonight. And not to jinx the Cubs or anything, but without Thome there, the Phillies' lineup isn't nearly as intimidating. Here's to hoping he takes the rest of the weekend off.

I also just noticed that the D-Backs dropped another one (with my boy Castilla getting two two-run jacks). They've lost 12 in a row; just one of many long losing streaks this team has had. Forget the Expos; this is the most pathetic team in baseball.

Trade talk is always popular this time of year. Perez is very good. I'm sure the Pirate brass think the same thing. That's one reason Benson's available.

Is Alex Cintron one of the most disapointing players in baseball or what?

I drafted him and Sexson on a fantasy team. Had to drop .240 Cintron a month in and then Sexson goes down with the season ending injury...... :(

Not to mention Brandon Webb. What the hell happened to him? I don't know if it's the Sophomore slump, hitters figuring him out, or both...but he's not the same pitcher that looked like a future all-star last season

Trade talk doesn't seem very popular on the north side because WE STILL DON'T HAVE A CLOSER NOR A SHORTSTOP!!!!!!

I know LaTroy Hawkins isn't a "proven" closer, but is there honestly anyone better on the market?

He's definetely not what we paid for. He has quite a few blown saves already, and with him closing we're left short-changed for a long relief/ set-up guy.

Nope. Urbina isn't available according to the Tigers; Smoltz definitely isn't now that the Braves have put it all together and are in first and any other team that has a formidle closer seems to believe they're still in a race. I'd say another bat is needed, but a closer is needed more. No one's on the market, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the spot's pretty shakey for the Cubs. The rest of the pen isn't perfect, but they've shown on many occassions that they can hold the other team off.

Pat Hentgen retired today. It would have be nice if he had gone out on a higher note as opposed to the whipping the Yankees gave him the other day, but he had a good career nonetheless.

Chris George gave up 10 runs in 3 innings against the Indians

what's worse

that George gave up 10 runs

or

that Pena kept him in the game for the entire second inning (where he gave up 8 runs) and the third inning (where he gave up 2 more runs)

Pena sucks so much when it comes to managing pitching

Guest FrigidSoul

He probably didn't want to remove him because they have a double header today. Probably trying to save what little bullpen he has

He's definetely not what we paid for. He has quite a few blown saves already, and with him closing we're left short-changed for a long relief/ set-up guy.

Hawkins has only blown two saves since earning the job. His season ERA is 2.81, and his K:BB ratio is 40/9. I see nothing to indicate he is not a cabable closer. He's not a sure thing like Hoffman, Smoltz or Gagne, but not every team can have an All-Star closer. Bottom line is, the Cubs have several issues they could improve before their closer.

Guest FrigidSoul

Today's Yankees/Red Sox game has been postponed due to rain. However its not raining in Boston and about 75min away where I am the sky is clear and its a nice day with a bit of a breeze and in the 60s.

We should have just waved the white flag rather than pull the fake rain postponement crap.

Because they want to tease us by letting us watch the first couple innings of the Cubs/Phillies game before they send us to the Sox/Yanks game. Sucks we can't get a choice of which game we see. I'm pretty worn out on this whole "my dick is bigger than yours" rivalry the entire nation has to watch 20 times a year.

Guest FrigidSoul

Ok, ESPN just updated

THIS GAME WAS POSTED AS POSTPONED IN ERROR. THIS GAME IS STILL SCHEDULED TO BE PLAYED AT 3:15 P.M.

Still, today's a beautiful day...there should be no need for any delay at all.

Thank god for gameday Audio. I muted my tv and I've got the radio call coming along on my computer. Unfortunately, I still have to watch Paul Abbott pitch.

However its not raining in Boston and about 75min away where I am the sky is clear and its a nice day with a bit of a breeze and in the 60s.

There can be quite a difference in weather in that distance. I've seen it pour in Philly while its sunny here.