TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Cigarettes.

I was NOT attempting to agree with Mr. Ihaveanoriginalscreenname.

If you're referring to me, I chose that name on purpose because it's pretty much the smarkiest sounding name, and I sorta did it to poke fun at people who have smarky names like that.

I do like Benoit, though.

You know what's worse than the anti-smokers in this thread?

THIS SHIT.

I met a guy who once started smoking just in spite of those commercials.

But what insanely annoys me about non-smokers is they never shut the fuck up about the awful "cancer stick." Trust me, we know it can give us cancer, smell, bad teeth, and all that shit. Everybody and their grandmothers know it because they keep fucking jamming it down their throat. But we choose to smoke anyway. I remember seeing a website by mothers called "Crusade to Stop Cigarettes (CTSC)." Which provided for some of the funniest moments on the internet.

Guest cellardoor

What can I say? I'm not a fan of cigarettes. When I went through my "rebel" phase from 5th-7th grade, I smoked on and off. And it was really fucking retarded in retrospect. There wasn't really anything I liked about it. I guess it was just something to do.

I just don't get cigarettes. On the other hand, I understand pot...

I don't care if other people smoke, but it drives me nuts when it's in a small enclosed space. Cigarette smoke gives me headaches. I'm not going to go around preaching to people about what they should do to their body, but don't fuck with mine. Thanks. :)

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

It must be shared that I new bylaw has been past in my province prohiting smoking in any public facitilty - especially bars. Its refreshing.

Guest croweater

While I agree that it's good for smoking to be banned in public places. I don't have a problem with people smoking in bars or anything for the moment, because if you're gonna go into a bar you've got to expect for at least half the population to be smoking there. it is one of those situations where non-smokers should be expectant of it or get out until the laws change.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Ah yes..no smoking in bars. and pretty soon, no drinking and no talking.

Discriminatory asshole. What bullshit. I hope they burn down.

No fuck that, I hope they get sued to shit, that way they can't collect insurance money.

No fuck that. I hope they lose so much business that those pink lung sacks of pussymeat go under. What right does the government have to say I can't smoke in front of a room full of adults? If they EVER try to enact a law like this here, and I actually get ticketed when I light up out of spite, I'm climbing a clocktower.

Guest croweater

I don't know who you're calling an asshole...... unless it's the pubs and clubs in general, then it kinda makes sense.

I don't think that they'd be able to sue. I mean the places are more likely to get sued by staff members when they eventually get a chronic illness (which could be completely unrelated), though, if Western civilisation has proved one thing it is that anyone can be sued successfully about anything.

Still on topic, what are you guy's views on bar staff and non smoking laws. I'm kinda stuck half way between, because it is their choice to expose themselves to a smokey envioronment (and they actually get paid for it, unlike the resident smokers). Surely if they were that against it then they could just quit. I know it's not that simple, but it's like going for a job as a crane operator, getting the job, and then complaining because you don't like heights.

Eventually smokers aren't going to be able to leave their house/apartments because of non-smokers taking over the world.

A bar is where I always pictured people being able to go and smoke. Restaurants down here have completely banned smoking. It's getting ridiculous.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I don't know who you're calling an asshole...... unless it's the pubs and clubs in general, then it kinda makes sense

Yeah, and the creeps that outlawed smoking in them. I'm sure this wasn't entirely the owners' idea. No smoking means less smokers will go there to drink. I'd certainly stop frequenting a bar if they made me stand outside in the elements (This situation is in CANADA, which is colder than Indiana, which is fuckin' cold.)

What a monumentally stupid idea. People know bars are full of smoke, it's why they're BARS. You smoke and drink there, and find people to screw. If a bartender legitimately thought they shouldn't be smoking in there, all he's got to do is get a sign that says "NO SMOKING."

Legislation is just silly.

Also, how long before some drunk chick slips and falls on the ice on the sidewalk outside of a club while smoking, and sues them that way? This whole thing is totally unnecessary, and begging for litigation.

To tell the truth I would have no complaints if smoking in public were banned. I hardly ever smoke anyways. God knows how they'd enforce it though, people would be flying off the handle all over the place.

Guest Dids
I was NOT attempting to agree with Mr. Ihaveanoriginalscreenname.

If you're referring to me, I chose that name on purpose because it's pretty much the smarkiest sounding name, and I sorta did it to poke fun at people who have smarky names like that.

I do like Benoit, though.

The joke didn't get there, given the quote in your .sig it just makes you look like a mark.

RE: Smoking in Bars.

If I come home from a bar and DON'T smell like smoke, something is wrong, it's part of the experience.

As long as we're going to allow alcohol, which creates more burden upon tax payers in terms of the problems it causes, and has more dangerous side effects that smoking, it's simply hypocritial of our society to start trying to ban smoking.

I with that people didn't do things that were bad for them. But legislating that is impossible, because once you go after smoking and drinking, do you start not letting fat people buy ice cream?

People would be able to buy ice cream -- Big Government will just tax the hell out of it. For your own good, of course.

A business should have the right to determine if they want to be a smoking or non-smoking establishment. I don't smoke. I hate the smell of smoke. I don't go to bars or other places where smoking by patrons is probable. Big deal...

I say no smoking in restaurants, but yes to it in bars, because they're, ya know, bars and all. No real food experience to be ruined, no children's lungs to corrupt, and if you're going to drink all night, some secondhand smoke isn't going to make much of a difference anyway, you're wrecking your body enough as it is.

Oh and here's an idea for anti-smoking legislation: cut tobacco subsidies and let the market adjust itself from there. Why spend taxpayer dollars for anti-smoking PSAs, AND taxpayer dollars to pay farmers to grow tobacco? It's a waste.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The small amount paid out in tobacco subsidies (the stuff isn't TOO hard to grow.) is dwarfed by the collossus of tax dollars generated by smokers. In Cook Co. IL for instance, a guy buying a pack of Camels is looking at the federal 39 cent tax on any class A cigarette, the 98 cent excise tax imposed by the state of Illinois, and a sadistic $1.25 from the Cook Co. jerks. Total revenue generated in one year in Illinois alone is over 990 MILLION dollars. That's just one state. That's 7 times what they make on alcohol excise, and more than double what the lottery brings in, and look at how many people use those two things.

This is just one STATE. California and New York both generated over 1 billion dollars that pays for health care, police, infrastructure...all the good stuff taxes pay for. Tobacco PAYS FOR ITSELF, and generates more wealth for the rest of the community. Health hazard or not, the people who want to limit the rights of smokers, get more people to quit, etc etc will just be shooting themselves in the foot as they watch their taxes rise and rise.

People really underestimate how much money is created by the tobacco industry. The figures are really pretty staggering. Especially when compared to alcohol, which one would probably think brings in quite a bit. It's still a fraction of tobacco revenue, no matter where you look.

Smoking=$$$, $$$=happy nonsmoker taxpayers. Smokers are keeping your shit down, and you don't have to do a damn thing to reap the benefits. The next time you write uncle sam a check, realize how bad it could be, then go thank a smoker.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, and more neat tobacco money information: All of those horribly huge litigous settlements you hear about..all paid for by smokers. This shit doesn't even INCLUDE sales tax.

These people are choosing to buy a legal product, mind you.

The fact that I've seen people on this board (but not in this thread) say the stuff should be banned outright is one of the dumbest things ever.

I personally don't mind people smoking around me, except for the chain smoking VLT crowds who make a building potentially unbearable with their constant smoke infiltrating my eyeballs.

But the one thing I LOVE about no smoking in clubs is that my clothes don't smell like shit when I get home. Its boss.

Guest HungryJack

that WOULD be nice, but I've gotten used to it. If you're gonna go to a bar, you should expect to smell like sorry ass when you get home. that's it, really.

I've long thought the tobacco industry got sold down the river on those lawsuits. When they got assraped to the tune of half a trillion dollars, it was bad enough, but part of that was that they were supposed to be immune to individual smokers suing them. We all know how long that lasted. Fuck any stupid asshole who decides to sue a tobacco company for his health problems. Everybody knew cigarettes were bad for you since Shakespeare's time, so ignorance is no excuse. If you choose to buy a legal product, you're agreeing to the risks of using it.

As for smoking in bars, I think it's stilly that it's being done away with anywhere. I don't smoke (apart from an occasional cigar), but I know what I'm walking into when I go to a bar. After a few hours, the smoke bothers my eyes, so I leave when that starts to happen. The only things I don't like are people holding cigarettes and/or blowing smoke in my face. Have some respect.

The joke didn't get there, given the quote in your .sig it just makes you look like a mark.

That's the purpose, dude :D

Actually the saying is from Pride Fighting Championships and it does sound kind of markish.

that WOULD be nice, but I've gotten used to it. If you're gonna go to a bar, you should expect to smell like sorry ass when you get home. that's it, really.

I did expect it. But now that I don't, it'll be tough ever going back. But Alberta is the closest strippers from where I live, so I'll have to deal with it at the French maid; y'dig?