TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Tyson KO'd in Round Four

On our news they had an interview with one of Tyson's corner and they said that Tyson hurt his knee in round 1 and it made the fight impossible for him.

If you saw the fight you could see his knee go. He wasn't really moving the same after it. I don't know that it would limit him so much that there's no way he could have won though.

Edit: Why did he fight Razor Ruddock 2 times in a row? was there controversy in the 1st fight?

Yes, it was a controversial stoppage...Richard Steele was the ref iirc.

Hopefully Tyson's done for good. The most overrated fighter ever.

No.

Prime Tyson may have been the greatest ever. He completely destroyed some really good fighters...Pinklon Thomas, Michael Spinks, Trevor Berbick, Larry Holmes etc...

Guest Staravenger

This just ripped the heart out of Tyson fans.....mainly me, and maybe a few others.

I hope the knee injury is legit (right now I'm believing it) because there is no way he should've lost this fight.

In all seriousness...Tyson should probably be on suicide watch...

Hes incredibly unbalanced and, at this point, his entire career is finished. He may truly have nothing.

I hope the knee injury is legit (right now I'm believing it) because there is no way he should've lost this fight.

Theres always been an excuse with Tyson...

Buster Douglas - It was the referees fault

Holyfield - Headbutts

Lewis - It was Mike's medicine

Tyson has been known for convenient injuries for a long time as well....the fact is he got knocked out.

Guest Set Free
You're forgetting the obvious here. Tyson had just recently come out of jail after serving 3 years and hadn't really fought anyone since. Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon were lucky to even have title fights, both of them winning was pretty weird. His prime was long gone, age has nothing to do with it. You also add to that Holyfield gameplanned it perfectly. He played up all of Tyson's weaknesses which had rarely been seen to that point.

Am I the only one who thinks Tyson was NEVER that good? He never throws combinations, his form is terrible and his reach is ridiculous. He has freakish might behind his power punches and a true heavyweight's chin - but that's ALL. He's a boxer in name only.

What made Mike Tyson popular was his heel personality outside of that he was nothing but a sports entertainment fighter being pushed by promoter who knew how to work the media.

Holyfield - Headbutts

Tyson has been known for convenient injuries for a long time as well....the fact is he got knocked out.

Buster Douglas fight, Tyson didnt even take that fight seriously, he signed with Don King and viewed boxing a new way. He basically lost the desire he had when he was with Cus D'Amato and Kevin Rooney. Buster's mother died weeks before the fight, so he fought the fight of his life. That's the real story of Mike Tyson/Buster Douglas. Had Tyson taken the fight seriously, he would of won easily. But he came into the fight out of shape and thought Buster was just a chump.

No excuses for Holyfield and Lewis. He lost fair and square. He was not the same fighter he was before though. Espically in the Lewis fight.

Tyson-Mania is now offically over. He is done. I knew Tyson would lose again, but I didn't think Danny Williams would be the man to do it.

This fight doesnt hurt Tyson's legacy. He is still a hall of famer. He clearly was a shadow of his former self. He basically lost his head movement and just took bombs from Danny Williams.

Tyson could of been the greatest heavyweight of all-time, but too many personal demons. Which is clearly explainable because of the envoirment he grew up in. But he lost his hunger to win after Cus died, Rooney left and when he signed with Don King.

He saw boxing a different way when he signed with Don King. He didn't want to win, he just wanted to make money.

Holyfield - Headbutts

ESPN confirmed that he suffered a completely torn meniscus at the end of Round 1, bad enough that he can't even walk on it today. He couldn't throw any right hands for that reason. Made him pretty easy pickings.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
And what has Bob Sapp done notable in the past year?

IWGP World Heavyweight Champion.

And what has Bob Sapp done notable in the past year?

IWGP World Heavyweight Champion.

True. But Sapp has lost two shoot fights recently, convincingly, which hasn't done his profile any good.

On the Tyson subject...I kinda saw it coming. Watching the adverts and build, it was all TYSON vs. Williams as it always is. Tyson was the favourite. The bout was made to give him a win. It was just destined to backfire on him. And now, this has to be the end of the line.

You're forgetting the obvious here.  Tyson had just recently come out of jail after serving 3 years and hadn't really fought anyone since.  Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon were lucky to even have title fights, both of them winning was pretty weird.  His prime was long gone, age has nothing to do with it.  You also add to that Holyfield gameplanned it perfectly.  He played up all of Tyson's weaknesses which had rarely been seen to that point.

Am I the only one who thinks Tyson was NEVER that good? He never throws combinations, his form is terrible and his reach is ridiculous. He has freakish might behind his power punches and a true heavyweight's chin - but that's ALL. He's a boxer in name only.

Find tapes of him from 85-89....possibly the best ever.

Guest Staravenger

Tysons prime obviously ended while he was serving jail time. After that, his wins mainly came from mediocre fighters who didn't have a chance in hell of winning.

There's a reason why Tyson vs. Ali is the biggest dream bout in recent history (i.e. when I was watching), because Tyson was destined to be the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time, but was ruined by his (many) personal demons.

Anyone know if Showtime is going to air this fight? Not something I'd love to see, but it's interesting to know how the hell Williams won by Knockout.

I saw this coming, but not from someone unknown like Danny Williams. Frankly, his career was done when Holyfield beat him and he has no one to blame but himself for the shit his life is in now. He chose to commit actions that landed him in jail and he chose to sign on with Don King.

He had a terrible childhood, but he was able to do what very few will ever do, which is become wildly successful and wealthy, and now he's back where he started. I've no sympathy.

Oh, and he definately needs to be put on suicide watch.

TSN - The Sports Network

7/31/2004

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Mike Tyson tore a ligament in his left knee in the first round of his shocking knockout loss to Danny Williams, his manager said Saturday.

Shelly Finkel said an MRI showed a complex tear of the lateral meniscus, and that Tyson couldn't even walk on the leg Saturday. He said Tyson's ex-wife Monica, who is a doctor, read the results.

``That's why he couldn't throw the right hand the rest of the fight,'' Finkel said. ``I was screaming at him to throw it, but he couldn't.''

Tyson was dominating the first round, rocking Williams with shots to the head, but late in the round motioned toward his knee and grimaced. Finkel said Tyson refused to make an excuse and wanted to continue fighting.

Williams ended up knocking Tyson out with a series of punches in the fourth round that left Tyson sprawled on the canvas. Tyson appeared as if he could get up and continue, but made little attempt to get up.

``In retrospect I wish he had said something and said he couldn't continue,'' Finkel said.

After the fight, Tyson's trainer, Freddie Roach credited Williams with fighting a good fight, but said Tyson was hampered by the injury.

``It's kind of hard to pivot and throw some shots without your left knee,'' Roach said. ``But Danny Williams surprised a lot of us.''

Finkel said Tyson was downcast after the fight, and that it would take some time to decide when - or whether - to resume his career. The fight with Williams was to be the first in a series of comeback fights to help Tyson pay off $38 million-US in debt.

Tyson earned some $8 million Friday night, but would keep only $2 million of that if a bankruptcy reorganization plan is approved. That plan, however, was contingent on Tyson fighting seven times in the next three years, which now appears unlikely.

``We'll have to see how emotionally he's hurt from this as opposed to physically,'' Finkel said. ``We need some time to tell.''

Promoter Bob Arum, who had planned to offer Tyson a four-fight deal worth some $100 million if he looked good, said that deal was now off the table.

For Tyson to continue, Arum said, he would have to fight for a few hundred thousand dollars a fight to build his record back up before becoming a contender again.

``Certainly it's a different Mike Tyson than there was in our estimation last night,'' Arum said. ``If he's going to continue in the ring it's got to be done on a completely different basis. He's got to fight C and D fighters and build his confidence. You can't put him in with legitimate heavyweights.''

Tyson's fight drew a crowd of 17,253 to Freedom Hall, most thinking they would see an early knockout of Williams, whose biggest claim to fame was that he was the former British heavyweight champion.

But, after a shaky first round, Williams fought back and turned the tide late in the third round as Tyson appeared to tire. The fight was a free-for-all, but Williams was stronger and fresher and landed a series of unanswered punches in the fourth round before Tyson went down and the fight was stopped at 2:51 of the round.

``The main thing was to get past the first two rounds and give it to him,'' Williams said. ``I knew he would tire and he did. I just kept punching and punching.''

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/sportsstory.asp?story_id=93139

Guest Staravenger

Now, I would like everyone calling bullshit on Tyson being injured to swiftly shove their foot in their mouth.

You honestly believe Tyson did rape her? Alot of evidence points to him being innocent. But he had bullshit lawyers.

He could have afforded better lawyers, and it's not a case of racism in the court, since he has far more wealth than the average black man and could have easily afforded the best lawyers. I'm skeptical about the whole thing, honesty, but as far as the courts are concerned, he commited rape and spent several years in prison for it.

Edited by Highland

Guest Big_Jay101

This is just like the Rahman fluke, Tyson was injured thats why he lost. I'm saying this and I hate Tyson. The evidence is there.

Now, I would like everyone calling bullshit on Tyson being injured to swiftly shove their foot in their mouth.

I'll admit as someone that views Tyson as a huge comedy figure I was laughing about the loss. But finding out that he was injured takes all the fun out of it......

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Have you ever watched a Mike Tyson fight? His head movement and vision were uncanny, and he brought back a rough older style in the same vein as Joe Louis. His chin's really the only thing questionable, but he didn't need one early on in his career, as he has TNT for punches, and the aura of invincibility.

Believe me, Tyson was technically sound. He was a youth amateur champ as well, and not from brawling.

Guest subliminal_animal

Just lemme respond to this BifEverchad post real quick and I'll be out of here.

Guest subliminal_animal
When the Premier of Newfoundland kicks your ass, hang 'em up.

If you take any Newfie's drink, they'll likely kick your ass.

I love it~!

:D

BifEverchad, stop your tough-talking and start walking, because everyone on this board knows you couldn't even beat up a baby with bad cough.