TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Boston

With my senior year of High School coming up, I really need to start worrying about Colleges. My main choice right now is Emerson College in Boston. The thing is, I've never been to Boston. I am a New Yorker, so I don't get the chance to visit often. I should be visiting in the next couple of weeks, but if anybody who lives in Mass. or has at least visited, can you tell me how it is? Anything and everything would be very helpful.

BTW, I think there was a thread like this before with the same question I'm asking. I couldn't find it, but if someone could post a link to it, it would help out a lot.

Spike, what sort of a school are you looking for? I'd visit a few campuses and get a feeling. There are schools like University of Michigan that have 40,000 students, and then places like Emerson with only a few thousand. Definitely check some places out, apply to a bunch, and see who treats you kindest.

Go to school at Boston, Boston College, Harvard or Northeastern and you get to see the excellent Beanpot Tournament in person

A really great part about Boston is the fact that there are so many colleges in that city. It ups the "18 year old girl away from home for the 1st time" factor substancially, thus greatly increasing your chances of getting some trim.

I've never been there, but I've always wanted to go too.

I was actually going to go to Boston with my girlfriend at the time a couple of years ago. September 14th -17th, 2001. Had everything booked, had money saved and everything. After 9/11 happened, we canceled the hotel and all that and I still haven't been there.

Dames

It's good for what it is. "Don't Look Back," "Peace of Mind," and "More Than a Feeling" are overplayed, some will argue, but like the Madden games say, they're #1 for a reason.

Can't forget about "Foreplay/Long Time" or "Amanda"

Oh, and another part of the appeal of Boston............you can have a beer in Cheers for Christ's sake! Just like Norm!

It's good for what it is. "Don't Look Back," "Peace of Mind," and "More Than a Feeling" are overplayed, some will argue, but like the Madden games say, they're #1 for a reason.

No lie, as I began reading this post, More Than A Feeling began playing on our company radio...gotta love the Classic Rock stations!

The only things that suck about living in Boston are the old-school Puritanical laws that are still on the books ...

... the bars close really early (normally no later than 2:00 am) & the public transportation closes down even earlier (so you have to take cabs if you're out later than midnight).

... the liquor stores are closed on Sunday, so you have to stock up on Saturday night to have your football beers.

... there are, as kkk mentioned, way too many Democrats and liberals. You get used to it after a while, but it still sucks.

The good outweighs the bad, though. There are a ton of colleges, so there are a ton of bars & a ton of college girls. The music scene is second to none. And it's close to Montreal, so you and your underage friends can make the drive up to legally drink and whatnot.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

I go to Emerson, actually. Place is weed killer for anyone further to the right than, say, well...

to be honest, if you're not uber leftist hippie, more than 50% of the student body won't like you much. But hey, I don't give a shit. It's still a great school. Lots of other colleges nearby. A group of us play FOOTBALL EVERY SUNDAY on the Boston Common. Most of the liquor laws got repealed, actually, which is cool. Still 2 AM closing, but what are you going to do.

Emerson's fun. Sure, there's the idiot lefties that think that Clinton was a hidden Republican (don't ask...it's painful to remember this stuff)...great college town, plus only having to take four classes a semester...good times.

What are you thinking of going for?

--Ryan

...one month till move in, and it can't come soon enough...

Kotz. I live in the city. I'll be happy to poop on a girl's step, or hell even the girl herself for you. I won't even ask for money, but if you wanna pay me in beer, that would be good. What part of the city does she live in?

As for Boston, some neighborhoods are better than others. Personally, I like to hang out in Allston-Brighton and JP. A lot of locals bitch about A-B being a college kid slum, but that's ok with me. Bars and restaurants are a lot cheaper here, there are quite a few good clubs with live music (Common Ground and Harper's Ferry to name two) and if you like drunken college sluts you'll need to pay The Kells a visit. There are a few good dives in Allston too (The Model and Silhouettes) and a ton of ethnic food places to wet your whistle.

JP (Jamaica Plain) is the artsy/bohemian section of town.

Southie (South Boston) is the home of many irish immigrants.

The North End is the mostly-italian section. The streets are really narrow and the

buildings are on top of another, give it a real old-world feel.

Kenmore Square/Back Bay/Fenway is fun too. This is where you'll find Fenway Park, Landsdowne Street among other fun places.

Also: neighboring towns like Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville and Quincy can be fun. There's always something to do around here. i love Boston.

Also, re: Barry Bonds, if he hates Boston so much, why does he send his son to boarding school here?

Guest Daddy X

I'm starting at BU in the fall, great school, great city. Growing up and living 50 Miles fro Boston has brought me there many times, and I've loved going for as long as I can remember. There's definatly always something to do. I'm not sure if I'd choose Emerson personally but it depends what you want to get involved in. Its more of an artistic oriented school, with a small athletic type scene, which isn't for me. If you are interested in things like film though its a GREAT school from what i hear. There's always something to do in the Boston area. Last night me and a few friends randomly drove into Boston and walked around for a few hours, and realized that even on a weeknight when school isn't even in session there's plenty of fun to be had.

I still say that one day, all of the Mass/RI TSM'ers need to rent out a hall, like, at the center of our homes (to try to get equal distance for us all) and just chill the fuck out.

Me and Nevermortal would chat metal, and the rest of you could shit on Kotz's chick's doorstep.

Uhhhh, Laz? Is there a third option?

Are my only choices talking metal or taking a crap with a bunch of other guys?