TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jobber of the Week

Is it me or is every rock station

This is what I hear almost incessantly from the rock stations these days:

* Nirvana

* Guns & Roses (arrrrrrrrrgh! Always a large library to pick from, but I don't care because I hated them then and I hate them now)

* Pearl Jam

* Soundgarden

* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD Metallica

* Rarely, the occasional good song from a band that feels different from everything listed above

And unfortunately, the rare moments are appearing less and less because we've added:

* Velvet Revolver (Oh hey look, it's MORE Guns & Roses! Kill me now with a spoon graaaghghhg)

* Audioslave (Guess what kids? It's smaller doses of Soundgarden!)

Am I alone in feeling this way about the radio nowadays? I know there's the whole Clear Channelization going on out there, but I live in a rural area without any of those big name station owners on the FM dial. Only recently did one group move in on FM, and they have maybe a dozen stations nationwide? So I have to know: Is it just me?

I'm considering saving up for an XM radio now after a neighbor let me go on a trial run kick of his just to hear different stuff.

What Agent said

And it's not just with newer music either, even the "classic" rock station (at least around here) has become stagnant

* Skynyrd

* Pink Floyd

* Zeppelin

* AC/DC

* "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" (I swear I heard that song everyday for a week)

You get the idea

As my brother said when I had this conversation with him, "One can only listen to 'More Than a Feeling' so many times..."

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There is eternally a Boston or AC/DC song playing on one local classic rock station I can pick up.

How's this for overkill?

98.9 The Bear (98.9 The Worst Station Ever) switched to a new horrible morning talk duo earlier this year, calling it the T-N-T show, for Turner and Tommy, or whatever their asinine shitty names are..you get the point. Anyway, to HYPE this..they played TNT by AC/DC every morning. Over and over again. For an hour a morning. For an entire week.

8-9 (it might've even been longer than that) Was just one song, on repeat. How terrible is that?

Something similar and equally mind-blowing

Before last June, Wichita had two major stations, one classic (that also had Bob and Tom in the morning) and one contemporary. Then in June, the owner company just decides to kill the two stations out of nowhere, and for a couple of days, all they had on the two stations was eerie space music with voices saying "Change is coming to [this frequency], stay tuned" and such, and the paper had a big article on how things were supposed to change

The big change?

...they just swapped the frequencies (albeit with new call letters)

The top 40 station went to the classics freq, playing the same old new crap as before, and the classic/Bob and Tom station went over to the top 40 freq, and in doing so, they limited their playlist even worse than before, since the old classics would at least play from 70's to 90's, while the new one only plays shit from the 70's and maybe early 80's. On top of that, the old classic station at least had Alice Cooper's Nights, which brought much variety (I heard the likes of Slayer, Iron Maiden and Satriani within a ten minute span), but variety is apparently verboten in this new world, and Nights was ditched in the move.

The only stations on my radio anymore are the classic one only when Bob and Tom airs and the comedy/sports AM station

95.1 in Augusta, Georgia plays nothing but Tool (can't stand them), White Stripes, and the same old Puddle of Mudd, Metallica, and Nickelback songs over and over. They used to do "Mandatory Metallica" ever weeknight at 9, which was obviously a 15-20 minute block of Metallica, but it was mostly the same songs every night.

The worst part of the station is the mindless DJ's. The morning - mid afternoon guy mumbles and rambles on and on, about nothing, to the point he is barely audible. The mid-afternoon - evening guy, who is the programming director, is worse. Pretty much no matter what is requested, he will only play what HE wants to hear. Then there is Jordan Zeh. The evening DJ. WORST..RADIO..PERSONALITY...EVER! Uses late 90's - early 2000 wrestling themes while he rambles endlessly about nothing, to try to sound cool. I guess what I'm saying is my main problem with the station isn't so much the repetitive music, but the mindless DJ's, who need to shut the hell up, and play MUSIC.

I've got too many radio stations here to listen too.

92.9 (Buffalo) Is probably the most diverse mainstream radio station I can find. You can hear the good ol' classic rock, like Hendrix, Floyd, and Zeppelin. Punk music, like The Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols. It also plays those wonderful hair-bands, and heavy metal bands, and almost the whole 90's repitoire. Rarely they play anything current, except for Puddle of Mudd, Shinedown, Velvet Revolver, and Audioslave.

96.9 (Buffalo) Your generic classic rock station, with bad hosts

97.7 (St. Catherines) Canadian rock station. The really support the Canadian artists that don't make it big in the states, like The Tragically Hip, The Tea Party, Finger Elven, The Trews, etc...another station that has a wide variety on the radio, but they took out Midnight Metal, which played some awesome stuff.

102.1 (Toronto) Canada's version of The Edge, though I don't think I have heard a radio station play Depeche Mode and then the next song Metallica. This station is really getting into the new-wave music along with all those garage rock, and british rock bands, and what ever spinning out in the top 40.

103.3 (Buffalo) Rarely you'll hear anything before 1990. Just another generic rock station.

107.1 (Toronto) Classic rock station, but probably the funniest morning crew. Other than that, the music is what you hear on any classic rock statoin.

Many of these stations currently overplay, Velvet Revolver, Shinedown and The Killers.

Radio here is pure crap. Its a mixture of top 40 which is nothing but pop punk of Avil going "oh oh oh" and cover songs of R&B or Toby Keith "I love this bar". But there is hope because one hour a day around 5-6 pm they play Rammstein, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, Linkin Park.

* Nirvana

* Guns & Roses (arrrrrrrrrgh! Always a large library to pick from, but I don't care because I hated them then and I hate them now)

* Pearl Jam

* Soundgarden

* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD Metallica

* Rarely, the occasional good song from a band that feels different from everything listed above

Hey look, it's the only decent bands since 1990! Those bastards...........

Go find yourself some nice Nickelback, Three Doors Down or Sum 41. That outta hold ya.

92.9 (Buffalo) Is probably the most diverse mainstream radio station I can find. You can hear the good ol' classic rock, like Hendrix, Floyd, and Zeppelin. Punk music, like The Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols. It also plays those wonderful hair-bands, and heavy metal bands, and almost the whole 90's repitoire. Rarely they play anything current, except for Puddle of Mudd, Shinedown, Velvet Revolver, and Audioslave.

And it's got Stern.

I had WBLK set as my radio-alarm last year. Their morning crew was truly something to behold.

Let's just say trying to intersperse political talk with "YO YO CHECK OUT DA NEW SIZZLA JOINT!" is a bad idea.

Anyone else find it funny that our major urban radio station has the call letters "BLK"?

We do.

Guest Kaspar Kucera

Listening to the radio here depresses me anymore. I am not sure if the current state of popular music is just in the shitter, I am getting older, or a little of both. It seems like a few years ago, the major stations seemed to all cater to a bit different tastes. You had the dance music station, the modern rock station, the alternative station, the 80s station, the lighter rock station, etc. It led to a nice mix of different styles of music being played and chances are was that there something good on one of the stations.

Now, on the rare occasions that I listen to the radio, it seems like all the stations are Top 40 with slightly different variations of the non-Top 40 they play. You have two Top 40 stations that also play rap, one that plays Top 40 with various 90s one hit wonders, along with 80s music, another which plays Top 40 but is more catered to alternative rock and local bands. With small variations, it all sounds the same to me anymore. It's heavy doses of generic crap like Nickleback, Puddle of Mudd, that song that sounds a lot like Lust for Life, etc., mixed with some the occasional decent song or song from a time when I actually enjoyed popular music.

At least I have my CD's...

Toby Keith "I love this bar".

That's probably the worst fucking song I've heard in a while. Just terrible.

I gave up on most all of the music stations about two years ago and now stick to sports talk radio for most of the day. It's more entertaining, for sure.

Go find yourself some nice Nickelback, Three Doors Down or Sum 41. That outta hold ya.

It's not a decades thing, it's a variety thing.

There's gotta be more to rock than what I listed above, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath.

I've heard "Simple Man" by Shinedown about 20 times in the past week. :throwup:

Great song but getting very played out.

Guest Crazy Dan

Well in the Bay Area, there is a classic Rock station 107.7 The Bone, which has a policy that they will not repeat any songs they play during the day. So if you like classic rock, which I do, you get a great mix of good songs and you know you won't hear "FreeBird" five billion times.

I like many of the stations here, where you have an alternate station Live 105.3, a more modern hard rock station, 92.1, 92.3, 92.7. An Adult Alternative KFOG 104.5, a station that plays a varied mix Alice 97.3 (which is my guilty pleasure station). And if I am ever in Sacto, I like 98.5 and 106.5, which plays hard rock and alternative. But even I notice that on many of the stations songs tend to get played a few times a day, hence the reason I listen to sports talk radio. But the weekends are when I do listen to music, becuase you tend to get a good mix of songs.

Guest MikeSC
Here, Linkin Park is played every hour. Do you know how fucking annoying that band is?

When they have a new song out, Nickleback is played alot too.

I'm not sure who's worse.

Linkin Park inspires a desire to hurt Linkin Park.

Nickelback inspires a hatred for the concept of music.

It is hard to say which is worse.

-=Mike

It's not a decades thing, it's a variety thing.

There's gotta be more to rock than what I listed above, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath.

I'm sorry, there just isn't.

Don't you all ever listen to college radio?

At the very emo-tastic worst, it at least doesn't bombard you with insurance ads...

Here in Calgary, we have a few radio stations that aren't half bad.

92.1 (CJAY FM) is the rock station that mainly plays stuff like the original post in this thread pointed out. They'll play a good song once in a while, but I don't listen to it much.

95.9 (LITE 96 FM) is your easy-listening station, playing stuff from the 50s all the way up to today. Their morning crew, "Don, Joanne and the Coach", is awesome, but I still don't listen to it much beyond that.

96.9 (JACK FM) plays 70s and 80s music. It's an alright station, and I give it a listen when I can.

98.5 (VIBE 98.5) used to be a rap/hip-hop/R&B station, but it's moulded into a top-40 station ever since they yanked PEAK 107.3, leaving Calgary with no top-40 radio station. I liked it fine that way, but the teenyboppers of the city didn't. What we got is this tripe. The only good thing about it was its frequent airing of parody songs extolling the virtues of the Flames during the playoffs.

100.9 (EAGLE 100.9) plays hits from the 50s to the early 90s. By and large, my fave in Calgary. It plays everything I like, and hardly anything I don't.

102.1 (CBC RadioOne) is a classical station. I like classical, but I don't listen often.

105.1 (Country 105) is country. Duh. I'm indifferent towards it.

107.3 (Q-107) is an album-oriented rock station that plays all the tracks on "classic" albums, instead of just the hits. It's good if you like all the songs, but most people only know the hits, so I don't think it'll last long.

And that is the state of Calgary radio.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Don't you all ever listen to college radio?

At the very emo-tastic worst, it at least doesn't bombard you with insurance ads...

The only college within broadcast range is a Jesus college. So F that.

Linkin Park and Nickleback are actually the same band.

Stations in my area (Western Sydney):

96.1 (The Edge): Plays everything mainstream from the past two years. Pretty bad.

96.9 (Nova): The newest major radio station in Sydney. It set itself up to play a hugely diverse amount of music. Turns out to be pretty much a clone of 96.1, but with less obnoxious DJs and annoying ads. Supposedly the best breakfast team in Sydney, but the music (rap, pop or techno remixes of oldies) kills it.

101.7 (WS): Been around forever. Plays the "Greatest Hits Of The Sixties, Seventies And Eighties", but it doesn't actually play anything controversial that was a great hit. Plays a lot of the "easy listening" rock music that destroyed the 70s as a decade for me (along with disco). Plays good stuff at night, usually playing the real rock classics like The Who, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. Overall, considering what it refers to itself as it is pretty disappointing. Has began improving, but I heard Achy Breaky Heart this morning, thus nullifying any progress it has made.

104.1 (2Day): Plays 90s pop, with one 80s pop track once every two hours. Pretty bad radio station.

104.9 (Triple M): Started off in the 60s playing all the great rock bands. About five years ago it was the best radio station in Sydney, playing pretty much every great rock band, from The Beatles and The Stones to Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Then it "updated" itself, cutting The Beatles and "The Stones" from its playlist and bringing in Blink 182 etc. Cut all Pink Floyd music bar anything from the album The Wall. Began having Musical Flashbacks where we would relive those far-gone days of 1998. Had a Battle Of The Bands tournament and had Eminem beat Queen and Matchbox Twenty beating Hendrix before eventually having a final of Nirvana/Foo Fighters. I haven't really listened to it since, so have no idea who won.

105.7 (Triple J): Ten years ago was the best radio station in Sydney. The alternative station, it played Joy Division, The Church and bands and songs that you didn't hear on normal radio. Then they had a big reinvention and deemed The Beatles to be of the past and Hanson to be of the future, and adjusted their playlist accordingly (then I turned to Triple M, only for them to do almost as bad a few years later)

106.5 (MIX): Probably the best radio station in Sydney now, though I barely listen to the radio these days. Plays 80s/90s/now stuff, but generally fairly mature things and not your typical crap. Sometimes duds come on, but at times can be great.

When listening to the radio, I'd probably flick between 101.7 and 106.5. Overall I would prefer a CD though and usually listen to them instead.