TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

One and Only MTV Video Music Awards Thread

Anyone know who is closing the show? Doubt it will top GNR, regardless of whoever it is. Well, at least it won't be Metallica.

UYI

Dude - the show's over.

You're watching the replay.

Outkast closed.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I changed the channel after Modest Mouse didn't win the MTV2 award.

This was probably the worst VMA's in a long time. They didn't even broadcast it in the high quality video like they have done with the past few.

That shoulda went to the Yeah Yeah yeahs. Modest Mouse is astoundingly average. Everyone raves about them, but like Franz Ferdinand, they are just there.

Anyone know who is closing the show? Doubt it will top GNR, regardless of whoever it is. Well, at least it won't be Metallica.

UYI

Dude - the show's over.

You're watching the replay.

Outkast closed.

Ha, thanks for that. I'm not watching it at all though, I'm Australian. We don't get it here for a couple of weeks yet.

UYI

Am I getting too old to watch, or are the VMAs just getting that much worse?!?

I haven't heard most of the songs, and couldn't positively ID most of the artists. Few, if any, of the girls looked good. The few bands that I was actually rooting for lost.

Other than the Kerry girls getting booed, I want my 3+ hours back.

I changed the channel after Modest Mouse didn't win the MTV2 award.

This was probably the worst VMA's in a long time. They didn't even broadcast it in the high quality video like they have done with the past few.

That shoulda went to the Yeah Yeah yeahs. Modest Mouse is astoundingly average. Everyone raves about them, but like Franz Ferdinand, they are just there.

What makes the Yeah Yeah Yeahs any different?

What a crap show.

I don't have a problem with hip hop, but it bugged the shit out of me that they gave them all the time in the world for their performances, Ushers lip synching and all, and crammed the only 3 rock bands into a 5 minute medley, and I'm not that high on any of the bands, but that was still stupid.

I hate MTV

And I got was sick of "vote vote vote!!!" I'm glad the Kerry girls got boo'd. They came off as a-holes.

There have been far worse VMA's than that last night (2001 anybody?), not to say the show was good but it wasn't unwatchable (at least to me). A few of the highlights for me was the Keyes, Stevie, and Kravitz collaboration, the Jimmy Fallon segment with "Gary the announcer" (AKA lesser known SNL cast member Will Forte), and Dave Chapelle's two appearances (even though he wasn't overly funny he had full command of the show when he was out there). MEMO TO MTV: CHAPELLE MUST HOST NEXT YEAR! IMO, he has the potential to top Chris Rock's 97 hosting performance which was the best VMA hosting job ever.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Chappelle reportedly declined hosting the show. It wa shis decision, not MTVs.

hopefully Chappelle refuses to even appear at that crapfest in the future. Seriously, it just keeps getting worse every year. Musical-wise and award nominee-wise.

1: Most of you are getting too old for the show. Most acts are for younger crowds, ie: Linkin Park winning viewers choice

2: Rock the Vote/Vote or Die/Choose or Lose was done to def, even durring Outkast.

3: For the last time, Usher does NOT lip sing. He sounds the same live as he does on the CD. So few in RnB these days that are main sound the same on both that for those that do, it seems like they are lip singing. Usher, Beyonce, Janet, Jagged Edge, and Ginuwine are few with real talent to do both. So they can do both. They sound the same on both.

4: This might be a shock to some but Ma$e is back. I got conflicting reports last night but it is true, Ma$e IS back.

3: For the last time, Usher does NOT lip sing.

He did last night...and there was no intricate dance sequence during the song to excuse that.

I don't really know the relationship between water and electricity, but I don't think the stage hands would allow him to sing into a live microphone while he was being FLOODED with water.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

I enjoyed The Polyphonic Spree and Kanye West, that's about it. I was somewhat saddened by the Outkast performance, should have been amazing, but it just seemed blah, probably because they've performed on television so many times in the last year.

I was specifically looking to see if Usher would lip synch last night and although I didn't catch 'Yeah', he wasn't lip synching during 'Confessions' (the slow song). The thing is that it is also his voice in the background and some people think he is messing up when they hear his voice but his mouth closed. So basically it is him on tape and singing live. If you've seen him lip synch before, you'll know the difference.

(I don't think I explained that well.)

Watch his SNL performance (smaller, quieter crowd) as you'll see him do the same there but it is more obvious he actually is singing.

Still,

Fuck Usher. Jay-Z was robbed

Mase was fucking annoying (WELCOME BAAAAAACCKKK!!!)

The Bad Boy yacht arriving to 'Feel So Good' was cool

Diddy looked stupid with the mohawk

Dre looked bored

Jessica has a great voice

Chappelle was wasted

Beyonce looked like a hooker

Kanye was tight

Chaka is fucking fat

Jim Norris looked retarded

JoJo is more confident on the mic at 13 than most grown women are

Milian and Keyes both looked stunning

LL is shameless (although the TV T-shirts were nice)

The drummer from Jet = :throwup:

I hate Fat Joe.

I was specifically looking to see if Usher would lip synch last night and although I didn't catch 'Yeah', he wasn't lip synching during 'Confessions' (the slow song).

YES. HE. WAS.

Guest krazykat72
I enjoyed The Polyphonic Spree

First time I have heard that band invoke that particular emotion. Usually it is just confusion.

They're a hell of an experience live. I was a casual Tripping Daisy fan for years and remembered hearing the song they did (Light and Day) for the Eternal Sunshine soundtrack. I subsequently forgot about them until I saw them open for David Bowie in June. They had great energy and I picked up both cds. Then I went to see them last week at Irving Plaza in NYC, in what was the happiest show I've ever been to, not the best mind you, but the happiest. They're definately not for everyone, but if you go in with an open mind, you may be surprised at how enjoyable they can be.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

They remind me of The Flaming Lips and dammit do I ever love The Flaming Lips.

I caught bits and pieces of the show. Pathetic.

Those people in the robes (Polyphonic Spree?) gave me the willies.

My new member title is a word coined by a person on the VMA awards - does anyone know who?

Guest ian.

Yeah, add me to the Spree bandwagon. The smile at the end of that performance was creepy and awesome all at once.