TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter

Guest Anglesault
Maybe now we'll get a triple header.

Anyone put it past Selig?

Anyone?

He could call it some huge baseball innovation that could further his legacy as the greatest thing to hit baseball or whatever he calls himself.

Guest Staravenger
Why the hell would anyone sign David Weathers? He's total garbage.

Desperation, perhaps. Same question could be asked on why the hell the Yankees brought Felix F'N Heredia back from singla A when he was stinking up the joint.

Guest Smues

Oh yay Marcus Giles gets hit with a pitch and leaves the game. Another Braves getting injured by a pitch, haven't seen enough of that this season, nope.

Guest Anglesault
Why the hell would anyone sign David Weathers?  He's total garbage.

Desperation, perhaps. Same question could be asked on why the hell the Yankees brought Felix F'N Heredia back from singla A when he was stinking up the joint.

Torre keeps saying Heredia has "electric stuff" whenever he uses him.

I'm assuming he means that Felix lets Joe use his toaster or something.

Once the Reds slipped up, he was gone.

Tonight, Pedro v. Hudson in Oakland. It's televised nationally, which I hope doesn't fuck up my chances of getting the NESN feed. I can't stand Rick Sutcliffe for more than ten minutes before I want to end my life.

Red Sox have taken the first two games of the series against the back of the Oakland rotation. Hopefully, they can stay on a roll and go into Seattle on FIRE~!. At least they avoided Mulder and Harden in this series.

Guest Anglesault
Red Sox have taken the first two games of the series against the back of the Oakland rotation.

A nightmare. A fucking nightmare.

The Yankees are going to have to do this by themselves.

And it's looking like they're going to have to, with two series left. One in Boston and one in New York.

I don't think we're going to be talking that week, AS. We should start wagering on the AL East.

Guest Staravenger
Why the hell would anyone sign David Weathers?  He's total garbage.

Torre keeps saying Heredia has "electric stuff" whenever he uses him.

I think all that sweat dripping from his forehead when he pitches short-circuited himself.

Sure you can. It's simple, has Cabrera saved move runs with his glove than Nomar would have contributed with his bat?

Without conclusions let, here are a few numbers. Batting average on balls in play, that is, batting average with strikeouts removed. The Red Sox allowed their opponents to hit .315 before the All-Star Break, compared to .313 in August. Meanwhile, their K:BB ratio, a defense independant stat, has risen from 2.28 to 4.2. A 4.20 K:BB ratio. The next best in August was 2.82, from the Minnesota Twins Now, judging from those stats, is Boston's recent upsurge the result more of the improved fielding, or the improved pitching?

I think the answer lies in something that you hate, al. Team chemistry.

Nomar was a black cloud on the team. All accounts have said that he wasn't stomping around the clubhouse or anything, but it was clear that he was unhappy. I think the rest of the team saw that as a distraction and what was supposed to be a good situation (Red Sox were within five outs of the Series last year, and the inept manager that fucked that up was gone, they'd improved their pitching staff, etc.) was ruined because of Nomar's injury and the fact that he took his sweet ass time coming off the DL.

I was one of the people who was kind of pissed about the trading of one of the best offensive players in club history for two defensive roleplayers, but their torrid pace since then has shown me that the rest of the team is benefiting from the loss of Nomar and his cunt of a wife from the ballclub. You can tell that the team is looser now, more comfortable with each other and is actually enjoying the game again.

That's just my theory, though. I don't crunch numbers as well as you do :P

Guest Anglesault
Sure you can.  It's simple, has Cabrera saved move runs with his glove than Nomar would have contributed with his bat?

Without conclusions let, here are a few numbers.  Batting average on balls in play, that is, batting average with strikeouts removed.  The Red Sox allowed their opponents to hit .315 before the All-Star Break, compared to .313 in August.  Meanwhile, their K:BB ratio, a defense independant stat, has risen from 2.28 to 4.2.  A 4.20 K:BB ratio.  The next best in August was 2.82, from the Minnesota Twins  Now, judging from those stats, is Boston's recent upsurge the result more of the improved fielding, or the improved pitching?

I think the answer lies in something that you hate, al. Team chemistry.

Team chemistry is bullshit. If team chemistry meant anything at all, the Yankees of 77 and 78 would be last place teams. Everyone hated everyone else.

And Max, to be fair, the pressure is on the Red Sox to beat the Yankees. If the Yankees can get as much as a split, the whole series is rendered basically meaningles (barring a tie at the end of the year)

Edited by Anglesault

They've been under a ton of pressure lately, and yet they've won 19 of their last 21 games.

I think the pressure is on the Yankees because of their pitching. The Red Sox are likely salivating at the thought of seeing Halsey again.

Guest Anglesault
The Red Sox are likely salivating at the thought of seeing Halsey again.

Because they did so well last time.

And the fact remains. The Red Sox have to catch the Yankees. The Yankees have to hold the Red Sox back. They can do that by winning three games in the series. The Red Sox need to win at least four to gain ground.

Because he'll be taking on an offense that's going on all cylinders right now and he only went 5⅓ innings against them when they were struggling.

I know that they have to catch the Yankees, but the Yankees have to hold off a charging machine right now. If the Yankees win, they likely get Boston again in the LCS. If the Yankees lose, they're remembered as the team that blew a 10½ game lead.

Guest Anglesault
I know that they have to catch the Yankees, but the Yankees have to hold off a charging machine right now.

Doesn't make a difference. they just have to keep the status quo.

Which is going to be hard for their starting rotation to do, and they'll likely have to be taken out early. Gordon/Quantrill/Rivera have been excellent this year, but how far can you continue to push them? They need rest before the postseason.

Guest Staravenger

Kind of like in boxing...the champion doesn't have to beat the challenger to win the championship, he just has to survive. Thats the case the Yankees are in right now. The Red Sox are on their asses, but are still behind, and all the yankees have to do is hold on.

Guest Anglesault
Which is going to be hard for their starting rotation to do, and they'll likely have to be taken out early.

And even then, the Yankees remain a first place team by two and a half games. If the Yankees keep playing the way they are, they take the division. The Red Sox have to play even better than they're currently playing to overthrow the Yankees. The ball is in their court.

See, you're ducking the question.

How are they going to hold off a team that has lost just two games of their last 21? How are they going to do this without a formidable rotation and a tired bullpen?

That's what I want to know. I'm happy with the Red Sox as a wild card team. They know that barring a SEVERE meltdown, they have that locked up. Now, they have their focus on the Yankees, with two series coming up. Their offense is clicking, their starting pitching is cruising, their bullpen has been solid, and defensively they've been excellent.

I'm asking how the Yankees are going to hold off the Red Sox.

Guest Staravenger

Simple answer: The Yankees have to quit farting around and beat teams that they should be able to walk all over like Baltimore and Tampa Bay, and they have to play with more heart against the good teams like Boston.

I don't know what the problem is, but when a team of all-stars only scores 1 run in a course of 18 innings something is wrong. (I'm reffering to a few games ago against Baltimore I think)

Guest Anglesault
See, you're ducking the question.

No, you're misunderstanding.

As bad as the Yankees have been, and as good as the Red Sox have been, New York is still in first.

The Yankees don't have to be better than Boston from this point on. They can be as muct as a game and a half worse. The burden is on Boston to continue playing .800 baseball for the rest of the year. The Yankees just have to ride out the storm.

The burden is always on the team or person that has to overtake someone else.

Guest Staravenger
And the double header is canceled. Of fucking course.

Quadruple Header! :lol: What a string of shitty luck for both teams. One game is canceled twice, and now a second one.