TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zyn081

When did Petey Williams lose the IWA-MS Title?

Arik Cannon defeated Williams for it in the second Round of the recent TPI Tournament. Cannon then refused to defend the belt for the rest of the tournament so he's still the champion.

Ahhhhh, I see.

Is that normal for titles to be on the line whilst participating in a indy tourney?

Also, is there going to be a rematch?

When was the TPI? Is it organised by IWA-MS?

Ahhhhh, I see.

Is that normal for titles to be on the line whilst participating in a indy tourney?

Also, is there going to be a rematch?

When was the TPI? Is it organised by IWA-MS?

1) From what I know, if the champion is in the tournament, he usually defends it. Cannon beat Petey in the second round and won the title. He then lost to AJ Styles, but SWERVED everyone and didn't defend the title.

2) Cannon's first title defense is going to be a rematch against Styles. Styles is pretty much feuding with Petey now, though.

3) The TPI was last month. Yeah, its organized by IWA MS.

1) From what I know, if the champion is in the tournament, he usually defends it. Cannon beat Petey in the second round and won the title. He then lost to AJ Styles, but SWERVED everyone and didn't defend the title.

That doesnt make much sense to me, but when has anything ever had to make sense in wrestling. He said it wasnt for the title AFTER the match? Talk about losing credibilty in the search for cheap heat.

2) Cannon's first title defense is going to be a rematch against Styles. Styles is pretty much feuding with Petey now, though.

Do I hear the words 3 way dance?

3) The TPI was last month. Yeah, its organized by IWA MS.

I like tourneys like this. Shame X Cup and KotR are not a yearly thing/dropped from PPV calender.

Thanks alot HSJ!

Guest DeputyHawk

That doesnt make much sense to me, but when has anything ever had to make sense in wrestling. He said it wasnt for the title AFTER the match? Talk about losing credibilty in the search for cheap heat.

Actually though I haven't seen the show yet, it sounded like a great way of getting heat on Cannon. Cannon beat Petey in the tournament and as a result won the belt. The fans thought A.J had won the title later in the tournament with a win over Cannon, but Cannon immediately got on the mic to say Petey had agreed to defend the title within the tournament (as is traditional with the TPI) but he himself had not, therefore no title change. Nice angle in my opinion, with the fans pissed that Cannon disrespected the tournament's traditions as well as hyped for the remath with A.J.

You can read all the details at www.iwamidsouthwrestling.com

Actually though I haven't seen the show yet, it sounded like a great way of getting heat on Cannon. Cannon beat Petey in the tournament and as a result won the belt. The fans thought A.J had won the title later in the tournament with a win over Cannon, but Cannon immediately got on the mic to say Petey had agreed to defend the title within the tournament (as is traditional with the TPI) but he himself had not, therefore no title change. Nice angle in my opinion, with the fans pissed that Cannon disrespected the tournament's traditions as well as hyped for the remath with A.J.

You can read all the details at www.iwamidsouthwrestling.com

I see your point but just as I dont agree with stips being changed after the match has started or at a PPV on the day of a PPV itself, I cant stand stips being changed after the match. I know what your going to say, everybody took it for granted that the title was on the line and this was an incorrect assumption, but if its the same at the TPI year in year out, I cant really accept that.

Thanks alot for the link.

Not to sound disrespectful, but that is one of the ugliest titles I have ever seen on the opening page of their website. Is that a wearable belt? It looks like if its made out of wood!

Cannon basicaly said that Wiliams said he would defend the title throughout the tourney, but Cannon never agreed to do the same, so it wasn't a title match. But it was kind of implied that the title would be defended all night.

Hell of a match with Petey and Cannon though...the crowd was all for Williams untill the second before Cannon hit the shinning wizard, then they went nuts for him.

I believe C.M. Punk started defending the title throughout the tournament in '02, Danny Daniels continued in '03, and Petey Williams did in '04. It isn't a tradition as both Punk and Daniels announced they would defend the title instead of it being implied so I think it was a really clever way of keeping the title off Styles while allowing him to continue in the tournament and build heat for an eventual rematch.

Guest ChikoDemono

If I remember correctly, at the Ted Petty Invitational 2003, Danny Daniels wanted to put the title on the line against A.J. Styles in the semi-finals, but Ian Rotten came out and nixed the idea. I think Ian said something to the effect that he did not want to take the chance of having a non-IWA: Mid-South wrestler winning the title.

Is there any idea as to why Ian did this? I have always been curious.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

I've got a question relating to Petey at the TPI and I figured since it's related to this topic I won't bother starting a new thread. Did Petey (or anyone else) give any explanation for why he turned heel, or did he just do it for the sake of it?

Even if you discount the TNA storyline..Petey could have simply taken out his frustration over losing the title to Cannon earlier in the night on AJ...the man who pinned Cannon just an hour or two later. Styles did what Petey couldn't......pin Arik Cannon.

Im still not convinced about it, confusion and wrestling dont go hand in hand well.

Yeah, but you give the distinct impression you don't really follow the company (based on half your suggestions and comments not following the details of the angles and so no) so your confusion probably isn't of concern

Guest Deviant

Defending the title in the tournament is at the CHAMPION'S DISCRETION. It is up to the champion. No stipulations were changed. No fans were lied to. It was just an incredibly awesome swerve. In actuality, Punk and Daniels both announced before each match they were in that the belt was on the line. Cannon did not.

And why? Because Cannon owns you all, that's why. :headbang: