TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SpikeFayeJettEdBebop

Saddest Songs You've Ever Heard

'Becalmed' off Eno's Another Green World gets me, and it's an instrumental. Stuff like Morrissey doesn't really make me feel sad, but the thing about depressing music and lyrics is that it gives you the sense other people feel the same way and they're just as angry as you (if you can relate to it directly) and that makes you feel better, just like talking to someone about stuff makes it better.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers

Stray Cats - Gonna Rock This Town

Tom Jones - She's a Lady

Underground theme (Dakkadakkadakka) - Super Mario

Coil "At the Heart of it All","Who'll Fall"

Alice in Chains "Nutshell"

Almost anything by Portishead, especially "Undenied"

Mono "Life in Mono" (I dare you not to tear up when you hear it)

Velvet Underground "Candy Says" (I cried first time I heard it)

Radiohead "In a Glass House"

All of Sigur Ros' album "()"

Godspeed you Black Emperor "Moya","East Hazings"

Billie Holiday "My Man"

Lydia Lunch "Gloomy Sunday"

The Creatures "Don't go to Sleep Without Me"

Current 93 "...And Anyway, People Die"

Smog "All Your Women Things"

Sparklehorse "It's a Wonderful Life"

New Order "In a Lonely Place","All Day Long","1963"

Joy Division "Atmosphere"

The Softies "Love You More","Selfish","Snow Like This"...Hell, anything by them

Depeche Mode "Little 15"

"In The Deep" by Bird York

Man, that's song so fucking depressing to listen to.

Guest Samantha

'Always' by Saliva has always struck me.

'Ana's Song' by Silverchair.

'Jeremy' by Pearl Jam.

"Outlaw Torn" is a good one. Depressing for a multitude of reasons, with one being that it signified the end of Metallica's great "epic" songs (Load has its fair share, as has been discussed here...and no, Agent, we're not listening to you about this topic), and the overall feel to it.

I can't believe nobody's said "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd yet. Just hearing it from start to finish gets me thinking about shit I don't like thinking about (more friends dying, me dying, everybody just leaving, etc.), but yet the song is so beautiful I can't help but listen to it whenever I can. In fact, I think I'm gonna go pop it in right now.

Also, once we get our demo recorded, I think you guys should listen to a song my band wrote called "Oceana." I'm not too proud of the lyrics since I just threw 'em together with the exception of the 3rd verse, but it's just a sad song that you can mosh to.

"Simple Man" by Skynyrd is just a sad song cause it's what most of our mothers/fathers/etc. told us before, and some are no longer with us.

"Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell" is also a good song by ZZ Top, old ZZ Top.

Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt."

The entire Darkest Days album by Stabbing Westward is my "depression" album.

Hurt was my first instinct.

I'd forgotten all about Darkest Days, which was traditionally my depression album.

Comfortably Numb can also do the trick when called upon.

Upon further review,

'Always' by Saliva has always struck me.

'Ana's Song' by Silverchair.

'Jeremy' by Pearl Jam.

hell yes.

I literally almost cried in front of a customer while I was at work when "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross played once, I had to turn away to keep him from seeing it. "My Immortal" can get me too. Some of Beethoven's last string quartets are pain on strings, although I only remember hearing them in class, I don't remember the numbers. "Ooh La La" is very sad too, although I only know it by Rod Stewart's version

"Man In Black" by Johnny Cash is depressing to hear too, especially since he's passed away.

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

"A Friend of a Friend" by the Foo Fighters gets me a bit sad. Same with "Walking After You".

I'd also give the sad nod to "O.K." by Local H, and "The Hunger" by the Distillers.

Ah, what the hell, let's add an Alannis Morrisette song. It's the hidden one on the Jagged Little Pill CD...it comes in after the second version of "You Oughta Know". It's about the day she found out her boyfriend was cheating on her...it's just real emotional.

"Angel's Song" by Sevendust (I think it's by them) is a really good "sad" song. Doesn't really make me sad, I think it's a good song to listen to...

"Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by PM Dawn is another good "sad" song I like listening too. I wouldn't really say it's a sad song but what the hell, I'll list it here.

Acid Bath "Scream of the Butterfly" - lead singer's girl was raped and inpregnanted by rapist, she tried a homemade abortion with a coat hanger and killed herself, he walks in and finds her dead on the bathroom floor.

Cage "Stripes" - about his dad, a miltary cop/herion junkie who beat him and his mother and almost killed them.

Acid Bath "Scream of the Butterfly" - lead singer's girl was raped and inpregnanted by rapist, she tried a homemade abortion with a coat hanger and killed herself, he walks in and finds her dead on the bathroom floor.

Yeah I doubt that "Acid Bath" has the saddest song ever to its credit

Yeah I doubt that "Acid Bath" has the saddest song ever to its credit

Maybe you should download it and find out. The story is what makes the song sad, not so much the song itself.

The Sarah Polley cover of "Courage" (originally by Tragically Hip).

The first time I heard it was during a funeral, and listening to it, it fits.