Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Debate on the worst PPVs of all time!

I'm bored, I'll add another one...

Event: King of the Ring 1999

Date: June 27, 1999

Arena: Greensboro Coliseum

Attendence: 19,761

King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: X-Pac defeated Bob Holly (3:02) by Disqaulification....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Kane pinned The Big Show (6:36).....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Billy Gunn defeated Ken Shamrock (3:37) when the ref stopped the match....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Road Dogg pinned Chyna (13:19)....Matt and Jeff Hardy defeated Edge & Christian (4:49) when Jeff pinned Christian....King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match: Billy Gunn pinned Kane (5:25)....King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match: X-Pac pinned Road Dogg (3:08)....World Heavyweight Title Match: The Undertaker pinned The Rock to retain the title (19:10)....King of the Ring Tournament Finals: Bill Gunn pinned X-Pac (5:33) to win the King of the Ring Tournament....Main Event Handicap Ladder Match: Shane and Vince McMahon beat Steve Austin (17:11) in a "handicap ladder" match for control of the company.

We're thick in the Russo era in WWF. Fresh off of the epic "Greater Power" angle, and Stone Cold and the McMahons are feuding over the ownership of WWF.

First up for the tournament is X-Pac vs. Hardcore Holly. It's nothing really offensive, but it might as well be the typical Raw match that was 3 minutes or less. Holly is DQ'd for using a chair. Next up is the infamous Kane-Big Show match. Pretty much what you'd expect from the two: crap. Suddenly, after a ref bump, Kane locks Show in a one handed choke that goes over 2 MINUTES. At first, the crowd is cheering on Show to make a comeback, but after a minute, everyone turns on the match completely. Kane later advances with a chairshot. Backstage, Shamrock has been sitting in the middle of the floor for the entire PPV with his dreaded internal injuries (blood from the mouth, of course). His match with Billy Gunn is next, feel the excitement. The referee says Gunn is the winner when Shamrock is being beaten so badly, especially after that sit-down powerbomb! The last quarterfinal: Road Dogg vs. Chyna! Finally, a match that goes 13+ minutes.. too bad that it's basically nothing but stalling. Road Dogg wins when Chyna hurts her hand by trying to lowblow him, only to hit the "metal" cup. Oh, the irony!

To be fair, the Hardy Boyz-Edge & Christian match isn't bad. They were given no time, and it was just filler for a match that was supposed to happen on Heat. Billy Gunn vs. Kane in the semi's is another horrible match, and Road Dogg & X-Pac have a basic 3 minute match. Undertaker vs. The Rock is about 20 minutes of garbage. Unfortunately, it was the only WWF Title match that would've made sense at the time since the only other top face was Austin, who would actually win the belt back the next night. Taker tries to use the dreaded ETHER, but Rock reverses it and uses it on Taker. HHH interferes on the Corporation's behalf, and Taker retains.

Billy Gunn is crowned KOTR after beating X-Pac in another short match, and the phrase, "Billy Gunn'ing the KOTR" is born a few years later when Edge wins. Billy Gunn will likely go down as the second worst KOTR ever, after Mabel of course. At least Edge had decent matches mostly, and he did get a good push for a while before his injury. Shamrock's win in 1998 was just really forgettable, and it was rarely even acknowledged.

The main event... Steve Austin vs. Vince & Shane McMahon in a Ladder match, for ownership of the WWF! Shane was "injured" earlier on Heat by Shamrock, though, so Vince brings Steve Blackman out as his suitable replacement. I will admit that as a rabid Blackman fan, I mark out for this moment. Commissioner HBK sends Blackman packing though and brings Shane back out. Damnit. This is the MOTN, and the only match to even break one star, IMO, with **1/4! It's mostly just Austin kicking the McMahons asses with some fun spots thrown in, like the entrance set of ladders collapsing on the McMahons. In the end, Austin reaches for the briefcase hanging high, but it moves up! WHO MOVED THE BRIEFCASE!? It's a question that is still asked today, although most believe it was actually the Big Boss Man, who was kicked out of the Corporation the Raw previous, only to rejoin the next night. The WWF never directly acknowledged this again. The McMahon's outsmart Austin and win. End show.

Not a single match except the ladder match breaks one star in rating, and it's just 3 hours of boredom. If you want to know how bad this show is, I have two words for ya... KING ASS.

Guest MikeSC
Starrcade 1997

December 28, 1997 in Washington, D.C.

MCI Center drawing 17,500 ($543,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.9)

-WCW Cruiserweight Champ Eddie Guerrero pinned Dean Malenko (14:57).

-Randy Savage, Scott Norton, & Vincent beat Ray Traylor, Rick & Scott Steiner (11:06) when Savage pinned Scott.

-Bill Goldberg pinned Steve McMichael (5:59).

-Saturn beat Chris Benoit (10:50) via submission in a "no DQ" match.

-Buff Bagwell pinned Lex Luger (16:36).

-Diamond Dallas Page pinned Curt Hennig (10:52) to win the WCW US Title.

-Larry Zbysko (WCW) beat Eric Bischoff (NOW) (11:12) via DQ in a match for control of Monday Nitro. Bret Hart was the guest referee.

-Sting beat Hulk Hogan (12:54) via submission to win the WCW World Title.

This was going to be WCW's equivalent of WrestleMania 3. The card was stacked and well promted (Benoit finally gets Raven, Nash vs. The Giant, Flair vs. Hennig, Bret Hart debuts, and Hogan-Sting). The Hogan-Sting match was just huge at the time. I ordered this ppv (my first from WCW) and really had high expectations...seriously, how could they fuck this one up?

Eddie and Dean didnt quite bring their ECW star-ratings, but a good match nonetheless. And then it just flys off on a down ward spiral...

Scott Hall comes out to do a crowd survey to replace the Nash-Giant match that was hyped for like 2 months. Giant comes out, but instead of a replacement match, he kicks Scotts ass and just leaves...

The 6 man tag sucked a monstercock...

Goldberg-Mongo was even worse...

Raven decides to not wrestle Benoit, so we get Perry Saturn in his place. not nearly what anybody had paid for...

Bagwell-Luger was pukeworthy...

Ric Flair was replaced by DDP. DDP-Hennig was insanely boring...

Bischoff-Zbszko tok the starratings into the negatives. It was expected to be bad but I kinda hoped thered be a modicum of entertainment value, but no...

And finally - Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting. A match that had been building for over a year. A match so big it got WCW a 1.9 buyrate. The biggest wrestling match and event of 1997. The most anticipated match in a long, long time...

The match ends up being horribly booked, with Hogan getting most of the offense. The crowd, catatonic from the pathetic undercard, are kicked around like 17,500 dead horses. A fast count angle is actually done slow by Nick Patrick. The match doesnt even end cleanly.

Biggest disspointment ever, terrible matches all around, and the beginning of the end for WCW...when it could have cemented them as a huge #1.

Worst PPV Of All-Time.

I actually thought the biggest problem with Starrcade 97 was that the Nitro the next night was a MUCH better show.

-=Mike

I'm bored, I'll add another one...

Event: King of the Ring 1999

Date: June 27, 1999

Arena: Greensboro Coliseum

Attendence: 19,761

King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: X-Pac defeated Bob Holly (3:02) by Disqaulification....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Kane pinned The Big Show (6:36).....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Billy Gunn defeated Ken Shamrock (3:37) when the ref stopped the match....King of the Ring Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Road Dogg pinned Chyna (13:19)....Matt and Jeff Hardy defeated Edge & Christian (4:49) when Jeff pinned Christian....King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match: Billy Gunn pinned Kane (5:25)....King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match: X-Pac pinned Road Dogg (3:08)....World Heavyweight Title Match: The Undertaker pinned The Rock to retain the title (19:10)....King of the Ring Tournament Finals: Bill Gunn pinned X-Pac (5:33) to win the King of the Ring Tournament....Main Event Handicap Ladder Match: Shane and Vince McMahon beat Steve Austin (17:11) in a "handicap ladder" match for control of the company.

We're thick in the Russo era in WWF. Fresh off of the epic "Greater Power" angle, and Stone Cold and the McMahons are feuding over the ownership of WWF.

First up for the tournament is X-Pac vs. Hardcore Holly. It's nothing really offensive, but it might as well be the typical Raw match that was 3 minutes or less. Holly is DQ'd for using a chair. Next up is the infamous Kane-Big Show match. Pretty much what you'd expect from the two: crap. Suddenly, after a ref bump, Kane locks Show in a one handed choke that goes over 2 MINUTES. At first, the crowd is cheering on Show to make a comeback, but after a minute, everyone turns on the match completely. Kane later advances with a chairshot. Backstage, Shamrock has been sitting in the middle of the floor for the entire PPV with his dreaded internal injuries (blood from the mouth, of course). His match with Billy Gunn is next, feel the excitement. The referee says Gunn is the winner when Shamrock is being beaten so badly, especially after that sit-down powerbomb! The last quarterfinal: Road Dogg vs. Chyna! Finally, a match that goes 13+ minutes.. too bad that it's basically nothing but stalling. Road Dogg wins when Chyna hurts her hand by trying to lowblow him, only to hit the "metal" cup. Oh, the irony!

To be fair, the Hardy Boyz-Edge & Christian match isn't bad. They were given no time, and it was just filler for a match that was supposed to happen on Heat. Billy Gunn vs. Kane in the semi's is another horrible match, and Road Dogg & X-Pac have a basic 3 minute match. Undertaker vs. The Rock is about 20 minutes of garbage. Unfortunately, it was the only WWF Title match that would've made sense at the time since the only other top face was Austin, who would actually win the belt back the next night. Taker tries to use the dreaded ETHER, but Rock reverses it and uses it on Taker. HHH interferes on the Corporation's behalf, and Taker retains.

Billy Gunn is crowned KOTR after beating X-Pac in another short match, and the phrase, "Billy Gunn'ing the KOTR" is born a few years later when Edge wins. Billy Gunn will likely go down as the second worst KOTR ever, after Mabel of course. At least Edge had decent matches mostly, and he did get a good push for a while before his injury. Shamrock's win in 1998 was just really forgettable, and it was rarely even acknowledged.

The main event... Steve Austin vs. Vince & Shane McMahon in a Ladder match, for ownership of the WWF! Shane was "injured" earlier on Heat by Shamrock, though, so Vince brings Steve Blackman out as his suitable replacement. I will admit that as a rabid Blackman fan, I mark out for this moment. Commissioner HBK sends Blackman packing though and brings Shane back out. Damnit. This is the MOTN, and the only match to even break one star, IMO, with **1/4! It's mostly just Austin kicking the McMahons asses with some fun spots thrown in, like the entrance set of ladders collapsing on the McMahons. In the end, Austin reaches for the briefcase hanging high, but it moves up! WHO MOVED THE BRIEFCASE!? It's a question that is still asked today, although most believe it was actually the Big Boss Man, who was kicked out of the Corporation the Raw previous, only to rejoin the next night. The WWF never directly acknowledged this again. The McMahon's outsmart Austin and win. End show.

Not a single match except the ladder match breaks one star in rating, and it's just 3 hours of boredom. If you want to know how bad this show is, I have two words for ya... KING ASS.

I actually went to this show in person - and if you think it's bad watching it at home, it was REALLY BAD watching it at the arena. At least, on PPV, you have commentary that can make things somewhat entertaining . . . at the arena, it was the most boring live event I've ever been to - bar none - and the only entertaining "commentary" came from fans around me that were as appalled as I was that we'd paid hard-earned money to watch this tripe.

If it means anything, I went to a WCW house show in Feb. 2001 that was twenty times better than this atrocity.

Survivor Series 1993

November 24, 1993 in Boston, MA

Boston Gardens drawing 15,509 ($180,000)

Shown live on PPV (0.82)

1. Billy Gunn pinned Brooklyn Brawler (7:46).

2. Marty Jannetty, Randy Savage, Razor Ramon, & The 1-2-3 Kid beat Irwin R. Schyster, Diesel, Rick Martel, & Adam Bomb (26:58) in an "elimination" match. Jannetty & The 1-2-3 Kid were the survivors.

* Savage pinned Diesel (10:20).

* Schyster pinned Savage (16:47).

* Ramon pinned Schyster (20:32).

* Razor Ramon was counted out (20:42).

* Kid pinned Martel (25:49).

* Jannetty pinned Bomb (26:58).

3. Bret, Owen, Bruce, & Keith Hart beat Shawn Michaels, The Red Knight, The Blue Knight, & The Black Knight (30:57) in an "elimination" match. Bret, Bruce, & Keith were the survivors.

* Owen pinned The Black Knight (10:49).

* Bret forced The Red Knight to submit (18:06).

* Owen forced The Blue Knight to submit (23:55).

* Michaels pinned Owen (27:26).

* Michaels was counted out (30:57).

4. The Heavenly Bodies (Del Ray & Pritchard) beat The Rock-n-Roll Express (13:41) to win the SMW Tag Title when Pritchard pinned Gibson.

5. The Bushwhackers & Men on a Mission (Team Doink) beat Headshrinkers Samu & Fatu, Bastion Booger, & Bam Bam Bigelow (10:58) in an "elimination" match. The Bushwhackers & Men on a Mission were the survivors.

* Williams pinned Samu (3:02).

* Mabel pinned Booger (6:02).

* Miller pinned Fatu (8:33).

* The Bushwhackers and Men on a Mission all pinned Bigelow (10:58).

6. Lex Luger, The Undertaker, Rick & Scott Steiner (The All-Americans) beat Yokozuna, Crush, Ludwig Borga, & Quebecer Jacques (The Foreign Fanatics) (27:59) in an "elimination" match. Lex Luger was the survivor.

* Borga pinned Rick (5:05).

* Crush was counted out (11:36).

* Luger pinned Jacques (14:04).

* Yokozuna pinned Scott (16:57).

* Yokozuna and The Undertaker were counted out (22:26).

* Luger pinned Borga (28:02).

Here you have a PPV where everything sucks top to bottom. I was really into the Bret/Lawler feud but he was bounced out cuz of some child rape case, and replaced with the returning HBK. Which was OK for a choice but not great considering how hot Bret's aborted feud was.

What sucked the most was the hottest point of the night was Savages run in trying t get at Crush. It was the first televised event I had been to and it sucked. It was the ONLY PPV ever from the Boston Garden, one of the old school WWF strongholds and it sucked. It was Bobby Heenans last WWF PPV, and it sucked. SUCKED!

While it wasn't the worst show ever, I have to add Survivor Series '91 as a (dis)honorable mention.

Everybody expected Randy Savage to be reinstated and join up with the Bossman and LOD to kick Jake Roberts' team's collective ass. Jack Tunney DID reinstate Savage so he could face Roberts one on one... This Tuesday in Texas!

Hogan wrestled Undertaker for the title in the middle of the show... Undertaker's offense mainly consists of smothering and/or choking Hogan with his gray leather gloves. Finish came when Flair interfered and Taker won the belt.

But wait! Jack Tunney says that due to the finish, Hogan will get a rematch... This Tuesday in Texas!

Flair wrestled the opener, a traditional Survivor Series match... Things were going along well enough until about 3/4 of the guys in the match were ALL counted out at once, giving Flair the cheap win.

The rest was totally forgettable.

Just a night cluttered with worthless filler surrounding much-hyped main events that turned out to be bait-and-switches forcing fans to buy ANOTHER show six days later.

What a disaster.

Flair wrestled the opener, a traditional Survivor Series match... Things were going along well enough until about 3/4 of the guys in the match were ALL counted out at once, giving Flair the cheap win.

That finish has always bugged me, I understand protecting Piper, Hart and Mountie(being pushed at the time) but Dibiase and Virgil especially could have taken a pin or submission.

Speaking of Starrcade 1997, let's not forget the storyline that since the main event was so important, JJ Dillon decided to put the names of all referees into a hat to pick out the ref for the main event, who ended up being Nick Patrick, of course.

That's right...such an important decision, they PICKED A NAME OUT OF A HAT.

Yeah.

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch
Survivor Series 1993

November 24, 1993 in Boston, MA

Boston Gardens drawing 15,509 ($180,000)

Shown live on PPV (0.82)

1. Billy Gunn pinned Brooklyn Brawler (7:46).

2. Marty Jannetty, Randy Savage, Razor Ramon, & The 1-2-3 Kid beat Irwin R. Schyster, Diesel, Rick Martel, & Adam Bomb (26:58) in an "elimination" match. Jannetty & The 1-2-3 Kid were the survivors.

* Savage pinned Diesel (10:20).

* Schyster pinned Savage (16:47).

* Ramon pinned Schyster (20:32).

* Razor Ramon was counted out (20:42).

* Kid pinned Martel (25:49).

* Jannetty pinned Bomb (26:58).

3. Bret, Owen, Bruce, & Keith Hart beat Shawn Michaels, The Red Knight, The Blue Knight, & The Black Knight (30:57) in an "elimination" match. Bret, Bruce, & Keith were the survivors.

* Owen pinned The Black Knight (10:49).

* Bret forced The Red Knight to submit (18:06).

* Owen forced The Blue Knight to submit (23:55).

* Michaels pinned Owen (27:26).

* Michaels was counted out (30:57).

4. The Heavenly Bodies (Del Ray & Pritchard) beat The Rock-n-Roll Express (13:41) to win the SMW Tag Title when Pritchard pinned Gibson.

5. The Bushwhackers & Men on a Mission (Team Doink) beat Headshrinkers Samu & Fatu, Bastion Booger, & Bam Bam Bigelow (10:58) in an "elimination" match. The Bushwhackers & Men on a Mission were the survivors.

* Williams pinned Samu (3:02).

* Mabel pinned Booger (6:02).

* Miller pinned Fatu (8:33).

* The Bushwhackers and Men on a Mission all pinned Bigelow (10:58).

6. Lex Luger, The Undertaker, Rick & Scott Steiner (The All-Americans) beat Yokozuna, Crush, Ludwig Borga, & Quebecer Jacques (The Foreign Fanatics) (27:59) in an "elimination" match. Lex Luger was the survivor.

* Borga pinned Rick (5:05).

* Crush was counted out (11:36).

* Luger pinned Jacques (14:04).

* Yokozuna pinned Scott (16:57).

* Yokozuna and The Undertaker were counted out (22:26).

* Luger pinned Borga (28:02).

Here you have a PPV where everything sucks top to bottom. I was really into the Bret/Lawler feud but he was bounced out cuz of some child rape case, and replaced with the returning HBK. Which was OK for a choice but not great considering how hot Bret's aborted feud was.

What sucked the most was the hottest point of the night was Savages run in trying t get at Crush. It was the first televised event I had been to and it sucked. It was the ONLY PPV ever from the Boston Garden, one of the old school WWF strongholds and it sucked. It was Bobby Heenans last WWF PPV, and it sucked. SUCKED!

No way is this the worst PPV of all time. I was there, too, and I wouldn't call it good but there was some passable stuff. The Ramon-IRS elimination match had some good stuff in it and the Bodies-RnR match was decent (despite a lack of crowd interest).

Thanks for reminding me about the dark match, btw! I had forgotten which Gunn was in it.

plus, how could you forget Bret Hart wearing that ridiculous pink singlet? Hideous!

BUT it did begin the Bret/Owen fued so it's at least got SOME historical purpose...

Here's my contribution:

WrestleMania IX (April 4, 1993)

Tatanka beat Shawn Michaels by Countout (18:13), thus Michaels remained Intercontinental Champion

The Steiner Brothers beat The Headshrinkers (14:22) [scott pinned Samu]

Doink the Clown beat Crush (8:28)

Razor Ramon beat Bob Backlund (3:45)

Money Inc. beat Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake by Disqualification (18:27), thus remaining Tag Team Champions

Lex Luger beat Mr. Perfect (10:57)

The Undertaker beat Giant Gonzales by Disqualification (7:33)

Yokozuna beat Bret Hart (8:53) to become WWF Champion

Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna (0:21) to become WWF Champion

The opener really wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either and the count out finish was terrible, especially at the biggest show of year.

The Steiners were a great team, and the Headshrinkers were a decent team but they just didn't click. The Frankensteiner was always impressive though

Doink vs Crush wasn't anything worth writing about.

Razor vs Backlund was boring as hell.

Another cheap finish in the tag titel match ruined it. The match was nothing special but the crowd was hot for it.

Lex Luger over Mr Perfect. Amazing how when Luger used his 'steel plate' forearm as a heel it was the worst thing in the world, but later that year as a face the commentators loved him doing it to Yokozuna. On the match, it was boring. The post match beatdown by HBK on Perfect wasn't too bad though.

The Undertaker vs Giant Gonzales. Doesn't need any description.

Yoko vs Bret Hart. Bret tried, and was looking good in his attempts here, but it had another bad finish that made him look like a chump.

Yoko vs Hulk. 20 seconds and Hulk is champ again. And then I throw-up.

Well, the worst PPV of all time is Heroes of Wrestling, end of discussion.

But this is probably the worst Big 2 PPV of all time...

The Great American Bash, 1991

Announcers: Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone

PN News & Beautiful Bobby Eaton vs. Stunning Steve Austin & Terry Taylor

Normally, this would be decent, as three of these guys were pretty good. But this was a SCAFFOLD MATCH. And not just an ordinary scaffold match, where someone takes a big fall to the mat, but a CAPTURE THE FLAG SCAFFOLD MATCH. No action, since all four of them don't exactly look thrilled to be up there. Crowd was dead (more on that later). Worst opener ever.

The Diamond Studd vs. Tom Zenk

Slow, plodding, with zero energy. This was Scott Hall before he became decent. Crowd is still dead.

Oz vs. Ron Simmons

And this was Kevin Nash before...well, he always sucked. Simmons got a bit of a pop, but the match was horrible.

Robert Gibson vs. Ricky Morton

The big blowoff for the breakup of the Rock 'n' Roll Express. Boy, did they pick a great PPV to put it on. LOOOOOONG boring match with Morton doing all mat-based work instead of the high-flying stuff. Crowd shit on it, of course.

The Young Pistols & Dustin Rhodes vs. The Freebirds & Badstreet

Freebirds spent the entire match just trying to get a reaction out of the crowd, and failed. Match was crap.

Johnny B. Badd vs. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog was Brian Pillman under a mask, who looked worse than I've ever seen him. Still no reaction.

Black Blood vs. Big Josh

Lumberjack match. Bad match, but not as bad as what came before it.

One Man Gang vs. El Gigante

Next.

Nikita Koloff vs. Sting

This could have been a good match if it weren't a Russian Chain match. Sting gets a big pop. Plus, Sting phoned it in, like most others tonight.

WCW World Title: Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham

Title was vacant. Why? Well, because WCW, in what may go down as their most colossal mistake ever, fired the titleholder just days before the event and put Windham in his place. Luger had been built up for months beforehand, so everyone in America knew who was winning this match. Harley Race came out and they did a "heel turn" with Luger that went absolutely nowhere. And the match was horrible to boot.

Oh, who was the titleholder, you ask? I'll let the crowd tell you...they finally woke up:

"WE WANT FLAIR!!!"

Yes, the crowd chanted for a guy not even in the match -- and the biggest heel in wrestling to boot -- for this entire match. Not only that, the crowd sat on their hands for the entire PPV, except for a couple of brief moments, deliberately, in support of Flair and to tell WCW how stupid they were. Add that to the fact that pretty much everyone on the roster dogged it in support of Flair, and that's why they called this the Flair Protest Show.

Paul E. Dangerously & Arn Anderson vs. Missy Hyatt & Rick Steiner

The punctuation point on a thoroughly crappy night. Arn looked like he could have killed someone with his bare hands.

And THAT is the worst PPV ever.

The Steiners were a great team, and the Headshrinkers were a decent team but they just didn't click. The Frankensteiner was always impressive though

No, it wasn't. He botched it in that match.

No, it wasn't. He botched it in that match.

Really? I don't fully remember it, the last time I watched the show was about 5 years ago. When I first saw WM9 11 years ago I had never seen the frankensteiner before, and I was quite impressed, so maybe that is clouding my memory of it. I'm gonna have to dig it out now just to see. :)

Yep, Steiner does an ugly frankensteiner at WM9. Weirdly enough, though, I've always liked Wrestlemania 9 (except for Hogan winning the title), though I'm one of the very few. :)

Guest Salacious Crumb
  1. Tito Santana beat The Executioner (Buddy Rose) via submission.

2. King Kong Bundy pinned SD Jones.

3. Ricky Steamboat pinned Matt Borne.

4. Brutus Beefcake DCO David Sammartino.

5. Junkyard Dog beat WWF I-C Champ Greg Valentine via countout.

6. Nikolia Volkoff & Iron Sheik beat Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda to win the WWF Tag Title when Volkoff pinned Windham.

7. Andre the Giant beat John Studd in a "bodyslam" match. If Andre lost he would retire. If Studd lost, he would give Andre $15,000.

8. Wendi Richter (managed by Cyndi Lauper) pinned Lelani Kai to win the WWF Women's Title.

9. Hulk Hogan & Mr. T beat Paul Orndorff & Roddy Piper when Hogan pinned Orndorff. Muhammad Ali was the special outside referee.

I think this card speaks for itself. The first 4 matches are squash matches and everything else is actively bad. The Main Event was probably the best match at **1/4 stars.

Andre/Studd was extremely horrible as neither guy could move at that point in their careers.

Superbrawl IX

Booker T defeats Disco Inferno in a decent match to open the show and then it is all downhill from there. This is the one and only NWO member to job on this show.

Saturn just walked from his match with Jericho in a finish that made absolutely no sense at the time, kick-starting the Saturn enjoys being a cross-dresser angle

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman d. Chavo Guerrero cleanly in a very disappointing match

The finals of the Tag Team Championship Tournament see Benoit & Malenko earn a hardfought victory in the first fall over their unover opponents Hennig & Windham only to job 30 seconds into the second fall giving Hennig & Windham the titles

Nash & Hall squash Rey Rey & Konnan causing Rey to lose his mask and starting the dark phase of his career that everyone would like to forget.

WCW TV Champion Scott Steiner defeated DDP by submission.

Scott Hall defeated Roddy Piper for the US Title just days after Piper won the belt. Hall never did defend the belt.

Goldberg crushed Bam Bam Bigelow, who they had been building up for months as his next big challenger.

WCW World Champion Hulk Hogan destroys Ric Flair after David Flair turns on him. This after one of the most painful moments in the history of Nitro featuring a 30 minute mass NWO beatdown on Flair.

One of the most depressing shows that I have ever seen, with the wrong guy going over in virtually every match and the crowd being completely killed in the process.

WCW Uncensored 2000

March 19, 2000 in Miami, FL

American Airlines Arena drawing 5,000 ($97,925)

Shown live on PPV (0.13)

WCW Cruiserweight Champ The Artist pinned Psicosis (7:22).

As great as Psychosis is, he couldn't carry The Artist to anything above **. The fact that Juvi gets beaten up by Paisley is even more upsetting.

Norman Smiley & The Kiss Demon beat Lane & Rave (3:41) when Smiley forced Rave to submit.

Could have been decent, ended up far too short and essentially pointless.

Bam Bam Bigelow beat The Wall (3:26) via DQ.

Dull and rubbish, plus had a copout finish of The Wall being disqualified for chokeslamming BBB through a table, which was overshadowed by him chokeslamming Crowbar off a high stage minutes later

Brian Knobs beat Three Count (6:51) to win the WCW Hardcore Title.

Knobs pinned Shane Helms (3:00).

Knobs pinned Evan Koragis (4:15).

Knobs pinned Shannon Moore (6:51).

Fat old man versus 3 young talents. Why on Earth is Knobbs winning this one? Even worse is the fact that Karagias pinned Knobbs, but it was reversed due to a foot on the ropes. In a hardcore match. 3 Count were FAR more over than Knobbs, before and after this match

Billy Kidman & Booker beat Big T & Stevie Ray 9(6:59) when Kidman pinned Big T.

Only memorable for Big T leaping over the barriers and clotheslining Booker. Rubbish apart from that.

Vampiro pinned Fit Finlay (8:38) in a "falls count anywhere" match.

Could have been really good, but for two flaws- 1)Vampiro was beginnning his push, so the result was in no doubt and 2) they spent a lot of time brawling in the crowd backstage, with dark red lighting, making watching the match near impossible

Ron & Don Harris beat Big Vito & Johnny the Bull (8:45) to win the WCW Tag Title when Ron pinned Vito.

The Mamalukes were just about getting over. So obviously they jobbed to the Harris Brothers cleanly in less than 10 minutes

Dustin Rhodes pinned Terry Funk (9:01) in a "bullrope" match.

Utter shit. Dustin gets attacked by a chicken. Terry makes him say I Quit. It's not a I Quit match (although that would surely count as a submission) so Dustin piledrives him on the cowbell for the 3 count.

Sting pinned Lex Luger (7:01) in a "lumberjack with casts" match.

Sting's return. Really wish he hadn't bothered as this is dire. Luger slowly moves round the ring until Vampiro interference help Sting win

WCW World Champ Sid Vicious pinned Jeff Jarrett (7:36).

As good as it sounds. Seven minutes for a world title match would usually be disappointing, but not in this case

Hulk Hogan pined Ric Flair (14:28) in a "strap" match

Not just any strap match, but Hulk Hogan's "Yappipiya" strap match. As good as two old men groaning round a ring could be expected to be

Road Wild 1999

August 14,1999

1. ICP/Vampiro vs Rey Mysterio Jr./Eddie Guerrero/Kidman

Boring match. Should have been better with Rey/Eddie/Kidman in there.

2. Tag Team Titles - Harlem heat vs Jersey Triad

Another boring match, why were Harlem Heat even put back together when Booker was going along nicely as a solo perfromer?

3. West Texas Rednecks vs Revolution

Slow and dull. The Rednecks seemed to be over with the bikers in attendance though.

4. Cat vs Buff Bagwell

They had a real fight backstage, won by the Cat. Buff picked up the win on screen, but the backstage fight would have been more entertaining.

5. US Title - DDP vs Chris Benoit

The only choice for match of the night. Some good work by both of these guys, and it was nice to see Benoit go over a former World Champ in convincing fashion.

6. Sid Vicious vs Sting

Surprising finish, with Sid winning clean, but everything prior to that was pathetic.

7. Rick Steiner vs Goldberg

Steiner uses a weapon for half the match without getting Dq'ed. Another crap match overall.

8. Macho Man vs Dennis Rodman

This was okay, but very far-fetched. The tipping over of the port-a-loo with 'excrement' flooding out was funny. Rodman should never have looked as strong as he did against a legend like Savage

9. Career Match for WCW Title - Hulk Hogan vs Kevin Nash

The 'career' stipulation was taken so seriously that they didn't show one shot of Nash after the 3 count. They should have been showing him looking devestated at losing. Hogan won with the always pathetic legdrop to end the show. Nash was back on TV before the end of the year.

WCW Cruiserweight Champ The Artist pinned Psicosis (7:22)

As great as Psychosis is, he couldn't carry The Artist to anything above **. The fact that Juvi gets beaten up by Paisley is even more upsetting.

Being fair to Psicosis, guys like Regal,Ultimo Dragon and Rey Misterio at his peak couldn't get anything decent out of the guy.

That Artist push was terrible, pinning Psicosis and La Parka especially was a travesty.

Was this the last WCW match for Psicosis? If so what a way to go.

Man, that Uncensored 2000 show was horrible. And then they brought back Russo and put the title on David Arquette. Wow.

I watched Road Wild live at a sports bar and grill with some friends. We all liked the Benoit/DDP match but the rest of the show was so bad two of my friends left and came back to see who won the Nash/Hogan match (they were Hogan marks for some reason). I told them that the main event was awful and that if they'd seen any other Hogan match in their careers they knew how it went. Bad show, though I think Uncensored 2000 is probably worse.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Is it too soon to throw Taboo Tuesday into the mix for worst PPV ever?

Is it too soon to throw Taboo Tuesday into the mix for worst PPV ever?

I don't think it was the worst PPV ever, by any stretch, but it wasn't good either. HHH/HBK was an OK match, as was Jericho/Benjamin. But the rest rode somewhere between mediocre and not-so-good.

Guest GreatOne

Fall Brawl 99

'Match 1 - Vampiro and ICP vs E. Guerrero, Kidman, and Mysterio Jr.

Highlights:

Rey Jr with the bronco buster on Vampiro. Kidman tagged in.

Kidman punches Violent J to the ground. Violent J comes back with a ddt on Kidman.

ICP double team Kidman.

Tony Schiavone admits there was a time in his life that he wore his hair like Vampiro.

Rey Jr with a moonsault on Violent J. Vampiro makes the save.

Vampiro throws Rey Jr into the safety rail.

Eddie backs Vampiro into the corner and beats the hell out of him.

Violent J does a sidewalk slam on Eddie.

Shaggy2Dope off the top turnbuckle with a leg drop on Eddie's head.

Vampiro and Shaggy2Dope try to do the Dudley Death Drop on Eddie but screw it up badly.

Kidman finally hits the shooting star press on Vampiro for the win.

Winners: E. Guerrero, Kidman, and Mysterio Jr.'

Considering that the FA's were being semi-pushed, and Russo wanted to make them into his new DX, can't argue with the result here.

'Match 2 - Kaz Hayashi vs Lenny

Cruiserweight Title Match

Highlights:

Of course Lodi was at ringside with Lenny.

Kaz flies out of the ring landing on Lenny and Lodi.

Kaz with a drop toe hold on Lenny. Lenny falls face first into the turnbuckle pad.

Lenny with a gutwrench powerbomb on Kaz for a 2 count.

Kaz pulls down the top rope. Lenny falls to the outside. Kaz flies out of the ring on Lenny.

Lodi slings Kaz into the safety rail.

Back in ring Lenny is keeping Kaz down on the mat.

Lenny with a bulldog on Kaz for a 2 count.

Kaz with a bullgog of his own on Lenny.

Kaz puts Lenny on the top turnbuckle. Kaz picks him up with a running powerbomb for a 2 count.

Kaz hits a flying headscissors on Lenny for a 2 count.

Kaz dropkicks Lenny into Lodi.

Kaz goes up top and Lodi interferes. Lenny with a quick rollup for a 2 count.

Lenny puts a full nelson on Kaz then front face slams him into the mat for the pin.

Winner: Lenny'

Lenny Lane ruled.

'Mean Gene interviews Sting in the middle of the ring. Sting said Luger is very close to losing his friendship. Sting says if Luger interferes in his match tonight that it will be the same exact result as last week. Sting ends the interview by saying its showtime.'

The beginning of that Sting heel turn that much like Goldberg and Austin's heel turns worked SO well.

'Injury update: Rey Mysterio - injured knee ... Vampiro - broken nose, loose teeth and possible concussion.

Match 3 - Dean Malenko and Shane Douglas vs. Brian Knobs and Hugh Morrus

No Disqualification Match

Highlights:

Malenko throws Knobs into the steel steps.

Douglas hits Morrus with the steel steps.

Malenko chokes Knobs with a tv cable.

Douglas takes a one way trip to pitty city.

Douglas drop toe holds Knobs, Malenko dropkicks Knobs in the face.

Malenko throws Knobs out of the ring. Douglas slings him into the safety rail.

Malenko tagged in and cleaning house.

Knobs trips up Malenko and Morrus delivers a hard elbow to the chest. Morrus goes up top and hits the no laughing matter and gets the pin.

Winners: Brian Knobs and Hugh Morrus'

Remember when the Revs were going to be the next big thing in WCW? It's alright, cause judging from here, neither did they.

'Match 4 - Perry Saturn vs Rick Steiner

Television Title Match

Highlights:

Rick working on Staurn's knee and ankle in the middle of the ring.

Rick with a belly to belly suplex on Saturn. Rick doesn't go for the pin.

Saturn with a missile dropkick on Rick. Follows up with a forearm shot to the face.

Saturn attempts a leap frog and Rick catches him in the air and slams him to the mat.

Saturn hits the dvd. Rick kicks out at 2.

Rick goes to the top and Saturn kicks his feet out from underneath him. Rick regains control and hits the steiner bullgod for the pin.

Winner: Rick Steiner'

See above.

'Tony Schiavone says Bagwell has not arived at the arena for his match'

If only that had been true at the infamous Tacoma Buff/Booker T RAW.

'Match 5 - Berlyn vs Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Hacksaw Jim Duggan is replacing Buff Bagwell who has not arrived at the arena yet.

Uda Ludendorf does not come out with Berlyn although his bodyguard did come out with him.

Highlights:

Huge pop for Duggan. USA chants all over the place.

Both men trade punches in the middle of the ring.

Berlyn keeps Duggan grounded on the mat for a while with a reverse chin lock.

Duggan with a back body drop on Berlyn.

Beryln's bodyguard hits Duggan with a lariat on the outside of the ring.

Back in ring and Berlyn hits a reverse neckbreaker and gets the pin.

Winner: Berlyn'

Would this be the birthplace of the famed 'Losing is...........is UNACCEPTABLE' promo? Part of me thinks that HHH's 'Your career....will end.....and it will be....over' was a nod to this.

'After the match Bagwell is shown in the back. He sais his plane was delayed. Bagwell comes to the ring and hugs Duggan. Duggan appears angry.'

Boy Hacksaw, just wait until you see the Buff/Booker match...............

'Injury update: Shane Douglas - apparently has a torn bicep.'

Translation: 'I could have gone to WWE and feuded with Mick Foley. I could have stayed in ECW and had the company buit around me forever. But OH NO I HAD TO COME HERE! (makes like Kevin Brown and hits wall)'

'Match 6 - Barry and Kendall Windham vs. Harlem Heat

World Tag Team Title Match

Hennig comes to the ring with Barry and Kendall.

Highlights:

Harlem Heat with a double team suplex on Barry Windham.

Booker T does a harlem sidekick and a side slam on Kendall.

Hennig attacking Booker T on the outside.

Back in ring and Booker t delivers an axe kick to Kendall. Booker T starts spiining up and Barry comes in and lays out Booker T.

Hennig attacking Booker T on the outside again.

Back in ring Barry with a backdrop suplex on Booker T for a 2 count.

Barry hits a superplex on Booker T. Stevie Ray makes the save.

Kendall with a running lariat on Booker T for a 2 count.

Booker T tags Stevie Ray but the ref doesn't see it. Barry applies a sleeper on Booker T. Booker T gets to the ropes and the hold is broke.

Stevie ray gets tagged in but the ref doesn't see it again. Stevie Ray doesn't care and cleans house. All 4 men in the ring now.

Barry hits Stevie Ray with the cowbell. Ref has his back turned and doesn't make the count. Booker T comes back in and hits a missile dropkick on Kendall and gets the pin.

Winners and new tag team champs: Harlem Heat'

Well at least it wasn't the NO LIMIT SOLJAHS...................

'Match 7 - Chris Benoit vs. Sid Vicious

US Heavyweight Title Match

Charles Robinson is the ref.

Highlights:

Match starts off with Sid backing Benoit into the corner. Benoit gets the first blow in.

Sid with a chokehold on Benoit.

Benoit with a leg whip takeover and dropkicks him in his legs. Benoit starts to work on Sid's legs.

Crowd chants Goldberg.

Sid backs Benoit into the corner and stomps a mudhole in him.

Benoit takes Sid's leg and wraps it around the ring post. Benoit took the ring steps and hit Sid in the leg with it.

Sid catches Benoit off the top. Benoit counters and hits a german suplex. Benoit tried a crucifix and Sid caught him with a samoan drop.

Sid locks a cobra clutch on Benoit and slams him to the mat.

Benoit again dropkicks Sid in the legs.

Benoit applies the crippler cross face. Sid almost powers out. Sid makes it to the ropes and the hold is broke.

Benoit goes up top and misses the diving headbutt.

Sid powerbombs Benoit for the pin.

Winner and new US champ: Sid Vicious'

Ah yes, as always was the case with Benoit in WCW, two steps forward a hundred back. Chris was so distressed about it that he cut a promo that nearly set him back to Horowitz-levels the next night on Nitro.

'Match 8 - DDP vs Goldberg

Highlights:

Match opens with Goldberg hammering DDP out of the ring.

DDP leaves the ring and Goldberg follows him into the crowd.

Back in ring and Goldberg snap slams DDP to the mat.

DDP hits Goldberg with a foreign object.

DDP keeps Goldberg on the mat with kicks to the head.

Loud Goldberg chants.

DDP hits Goldberg again with the foreign object.

DDP drops an elbow for a 2 count.

DDP continues to keep Goldberg down on the mat, this time with a reverse chinlock.

Goldberg comes back from the dead and kicks DDP in the head.

DDP catches Goldberg with a ddt for a 2 count.

Goldberg suplexes DDP for a 2 count. The Triad arrives with weapons. Goldberg gets hit with one of those weapons and DDP gets a 2 count. Goldberg levels Kanyon and Bigelow with a lariat.

Goldberg spears DDP and puts the jackhammer on him for the pin.

Winner: Goldberg'

Halloween Havoc '98 this was not.

'Match 9 - Sting vs Hulk Hogan

World title match

Before the match started Bret Hart came down to the ring to wish Sting and Hogan good luck.

Highlights:

Match starts off with Hogan doing a quick rollup on Sting.

Hogan with a drop toe hold on Sting.

Hogan throws Sting into the corner and hits him with a running lariat.

Sting slams Hogan and drops an elbow for a 2 count.

Hogan suplexes Sting. Sting gets right back up.

Sting backs Hogan into the corner and hits him in the head 10 times.

Hogan pulls Sting to the outside and both men trade blows.

Hogan scoop slams Sting on the outside and drops an elbow.

Sting fights back and sends Hogan into the safety rail.

Hogan chokes Sting with the tv cable.

Back in ring and Hogan with a back drop suplex on Sting for a 2 count.

Hogan applies the abdominal stretch on Sting.

Hogan backs Sting into the corner and hits him in the head 10 times then bites Sting in the forehead.

Sting catches Hogan with a crossbody for a 2 count.

Sting hits the stinger splash 2 times in a row and misses the third time.

Hogan with the big foot. DDP comes down and attacks the ref. Hogan hits the leg drop. No ref. No count. DDP hits the diamond cutter on Hogan. DDP places Sting on Hogan. Hogan kicked out. Bret Hart comes in and takes out DDP.

Sid comes in and Hogan takes him out with the big foot. Luger comes in and Hogan takes him out with the big foot.

Sting hits Hogan in the head with a ballbat that Luger brought out.

Sting applies the scorpion deathlock and Hogan submits.

Winner and new world champ: Sting'

And here we go with the heel turn that worked so well, Volume 1. Gee, bad wrestling, run-ins galore, and a crap heel turn, can we be sure Russo wasn't there ALREADY?

I suppose I should mention GAB 2000 for the Goldberg heel turn THAT VINCE MCMAHON COULDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT. Didn't Nash murder the entire New Blood in the run-up too?

Didn't Nash murder the entire New Blood in the run-up too?

There was one segment on Nitro which consisted of Nash being in the ring, and numerous wrestlers running in, and then getting powerbombed right away. I think he got through about a dozen or so before 'brawling' to the back with Konnan and Rey Mysterio Jr. The worst thing about the angle, apart from Nash killing off about 12 wrestlers, was that Rey Jr was coming off of knee surgery, and should never have been put in anything that required running.