TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Debate on the worst PPVs of all time!

Okay, here's how this will work. We are going to determine the worst WWF, WCW, and ECW PPVs of all time. So no, you can't argue Heroes of Wrestling or WOW or something. What you do is this:

1) Post your choice for the worst PPV of all time.

2) Post the card results for the show. (You can go to www.prowrestlinghistory.com or some other website to find this stuff if you want)

3) Give an argument on why this show is the worst PPV ever. Make it a better argument than simply "this show sucked and all the matches sucked and it was horrible!"

And here's the catch...once someone takes a PPV, you CAN'T argue that one! So if somebody has already mentioned King of the Ring 1995, you can't argue that one, you'd have to move onto Great American Bash 1991 or some other horrible show. :)

Ready? Let the arguments begin! :)

Event: Fall Brawl 1998: "WarGames"

Date: September 13, 1998

Arena: Lawrence Joel Coliseum

Attendence: 11,528

Davey Smith and Jim Niedhart defeated Disco Inferno and Alex Wright (11:03) when Smith pinned Disco....World Televison Title Match: Chris Jericho defeated "Fake Goldberg" (1:15) via submission to retain the title....Ernest Miller pinned Norman Smiley (5:04)....Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner (5:30) fought to a No Contest....World Cruiserweight Title Match: Juventud Guerrera pinned Silver King (8:36) to retain the title....Perry Saturn pinned Raven (14:04)....Dean Malenko defeated Curt Hennig (7:38) by Disqualification....Konnan defeated Scott Hall (12:03) via submission....WarGames Main Event Match: Diamond Dallas Page pinned Stevie Ray (20:06) to win "wargames." Also in the match were: Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, Kevin Nash, Roddy Piper, Sting, and Ultimate Warrior.

Okey-doke. First, the opener. You have Jim Neidhart and Bulldog, both only employed because they're Bret's buddies and therefore have no actual storyline. No reason to be on PPV. So putting them in the opener, with Disco and Alex Wright who are pretty much comedy wrestlers...for over 11 minutes!?! Why!?! WCW's policy was generally to put hot matches on first to fire up the crowd. This killed them.

The Jericho/Fake Goldberg incident is already infamous enough. Goldberg vs. Jericho would have done brilliant business as Goldberg was near the peak of his popularity still and Jericho was becoming a valuable heel. So having him squash a Goldberg impersonator instead of having an actual match was pure crap.

Miller vs. Smiley? Boring.

The Steiners match was terrible, but the ending was even worse. If I remember correctly, this was the one where they had Buff fake a repeat of his neck injury. I think that's about all that needs to be said, as it really speaks for itself. Disgusting. Distasteful. Crap.

Silver King had no right to be in the Cruiser spot.

The next two matches were ok, but certainly nothing special.

Now, let's have some more distateful gimmicks! Scott Hall. In the middle of his 'addiction to drink' storyline which pretty much offended everyone who saw it. And Konnan was certainly no carry job expert, leading to another poor match.

The War Games meanwhile was pure crap. First of all, the format was changed in the stupidest move in War Games history. Even worse thant he Dungeon Of Doom. There were no teams, you could win by pin, and you could win 'at any time'. So Bret and DDP started, and it could have ended before anyone else even got out. Yeah, right. Like that was going to happen. The line-up is pretty untalented really, the average age has to be sky high. Oh, and there's the small matter of Hogan, Stevie Ray, The Disciple, some weird smoke and two Warriors. Warrior breaking through the Cage was hilarious, especially when you take into account the fact he injured himself doing it. Just to top matters, DDP then wins it...to ZERO crowd reaction. When you think of the money the nine men were making at the time, it's an embarrassment.

I can never seem to find reviews on it, I wonder if anyone even did reviews out of respect...but the Over The Edge where Owen Hart died is the worst PPV ever hands down...obviously not from a match perspective, but after the accident initially happened to the point Jim Ross told us he had died, my friends and I just sat stunned in silence...I shit you not we didn't say one fucking thing the rest of the show other than "I can't fucking believe it" or something along those lines...it seemed so surreal and I couldn't even really focus on the rest of the show...I seriously don't even remember any matches from this show because of that, the only thing I remember was Jeff Jarrett being VERY visibly shaken during his match..

When I have more time I'll come up with a PPV I hated for the actual wrestling involved!

Event: Bash at the Bash 1999

Date: July 11, 1999

Arena: National Car Rental Center

Attendance: 13,624

Ernest Miller pinned Disco Inferno (8:07)...WCW TV Champ Rick Steiner pinned Van Hammer (4:51)...WCW U.S. Champ David Flair pinned Dean Malenko (3:05)....Konnan, Rey Misterio Jr., Swoll, & Brad Armstrong beat Curt Hennig, Bobby Duncum Jr., Barry & Kendall Windham (15:00) in an "elimination" match. Swoll pinned Duncum (6:26). Misterio and Swoll were the survivors...Hennig pinned Armstrong (9:07)...Konnan pinned Kendall (10:52)...Barry and Konnan were counted out...Misterio pinned Hennig (15:00)...David Finlay won a "junkyard battle royal" (13:50) to win the WCW Hardcore Trophy. Also in the match were: Ciclope, Jerry Flynn, Hak, Horace Hogan, Brian Knobbs, Hugh Morrus, La Parka, Public Enemy, Steve Regal, Silver King, David Taylor, and Mikey Whipwreck...WCW Tag Champs Diamond Dallas Page, Bam Bam Bigelow, & Kanyon beat Saturn & Chris Benoit (23:17) when Saturn was pinned...Buff Bagwell pinned Roddy Piper (3rd Rnd – 0:36) in a "boxing" match. Mills Lane was the special referee...Randy Savage & Sid Vicious beat Kevin Nash & Sting (13:21) when Savage pinned Nash. As a result savage won the WCW World Title.

What was the point in this card?

The first match had a stipulation at one point that the loser couldn't not dance in WCW. Sure, it's a crappy stipulation but WCW couldn't even be bothered to go through with it and dropped it. Thusly, robbing this match of an purpose.

Van Hammer? On PPV? WTF? As for Rick Steiner, he spend the match stiffing Van Hammer all the way and finishing him with a swift kick to the balls and a crappy bulldog.

Poor Dean Malenko had to job to the totally useless David Flair. What an insult.

The West Texas Rednecks against Konnan, Rey Misterio and the No Limit Soliders was rubbish.

The Junkyard Battle Royal was a true piece of Wrestlecrap. Only WCW could come up with a match like this featuring with crappy camera work and rubbish lighting which made it impossible to know just who was in there and what the hell was going on. In addtion at least four guys were injured during the "match".

The Triad vs. Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn was the only good match on the card. However, I still think the wrong team went over.

The Rowdy Roddy Piper/Buff Bagwell boxing match was an total embarassment and probably the second worst match of the year (the Kennel from Hell comes first). The match also featured the God awful Judy Bagwell (former tag team champion don't you know!) and ended when Bagwell pinned Piper...in a BOXING MATCH!!!

The main event was totally pointless. The guys in the match didn't seem to care and put on a piss-poor performance. Also, the result was pointless as it only setup let another Hulk Hogan title win the next night on Nitro.

I'll go with the worst one I've seen, I would choose Heroes of Wrestling but for some reason that doesn't seem far, prety much you knew when you ordered it would be garbage. Even the worst of big two (or three if you count ECW) have some expectation leading up to their shows. So here's the worst show I've seen.

Superbrawl X (2000)

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea pinned Lash LeRoux (5:47) to win the vacant WCW Cruiserweight Title : Pedestrian cruiserweight title match. This match was supposed to save the Cruiserweight title but made it look more like a title belt for curtain jerkers.

Brian Knobbs pinned Bam Bam Bigelow (4:44) to win the WCW Hardcore Title: Pedistrian hardcore title match. Had no real point and was nothing more exciting or eventful then something you'd see on Nitro.

Three Count beat Norman Smiley (4:06) in a "handicap" match when Moore forced Smiley to submit: Norman Smiley had taped ribs because he was "injured" before the match and the announcers were building him up as a courageous hero. So you'd think they'd at least have Norman pour his heart out in a ten-fifteen minute match and lose valiantly after Three Count cheats. Nope he loses in less then five minutes by submission.

The Wall pinned The Demon (3:37): A DUD with no storyline or setup. Just to signify the new unneccessary push( The Wall) defeating the old unnecessary push (The Demon)

Tank Abbott beat Big Al (4:34) in a "leather jack on a pole" match: Nuff said. Negative star classic with no point since Big Al arrived two or three weeks before this match and left right after. Also famous for Tank elequently pointing a knife at Big Al and saying "I could fucking kill you right now!"

Big T pinned Booker (5:23): One of the company's only remaining young prospects is beaten by an overweight, over the hill WWF exile. Made no sense to me then and no sense to me now.

Billy Kidman pinned Vampiro (7:20): A match that was supposed to entertain the internet crowd. It didn't. It was your average Nitro mid card match, extended by a couple minutes.

WCW Tag Champs Big Vito & Johnny the Bull beat David Flair & Crowbar (11:22) in a "Sicilian stretcher" match: First match over ten minutes on the card..... and it's the eighth match. Not bad, just a generic stretcher match. Maybe ** but again nothing to get excited about.

Ric Flair beat Terry Funk (15:40) in a "Texas death" match: When you're best match on the show is too 50+ year old guys, you know you're going under within a year. A decent match (Not higher then ***), but defnintley two or three minutes too long. I remember a crappy ending but I can't remember what it was exactly.

Hulk Hogan pinned Lex Luger (8:10): Stereotypical Hogan 1985 match, except it was 2000 and it was sllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeddddd dooooooowwwnnnnnnn. Sting returned and ended up...doing nothing really of note.

# WCW World Champ Sid Vicious beat Scott Hall and Jeff Jarrett (7:40) in a triangle match when he pinned Hall: The main event is a three way where one of the guys has no real reason of being in there (Hall) and it's under ten minutes ironically enough. Also had the return of Roddy Piper, who helped Sid retain the belt. If I remember right Hot Rod never showed up in WCW again after his return that night.

The whole show was totally pointless, had few blowoffs and all of the eleven matches except two were under ten minutes. I've never seen anyone really defend this show. So this is why this is my choice for Worst PPV of a ll time

Well, I'll take KOTR 1995...

June 25, 1995

Philadelphia, PA

- Free-For-All Match (KOTR Qualifying Match): Savio Vega pinned Irwin R. Schyster (4:01)

- KOTR Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Savio Vega defeated Yokozuna (8:24) via countout

- KOTR Tournament Quarterfinal Match: The Roadie pinned Bob Holly (7:30)

- KOTR Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Shawn Michaels drew with Kama (15:00)

- KOTR Tournament Quarterfinal Match: Mabel pinned The Undertaker (10:44)

- KOTR Tournament Semi-Final Match: Savio Vega pinned The Roadie (6:36)

- "Kiss My Foot" Match: Bret Hart beat Jerry Lawler (9:20) via submission

- KOTR Tournament Final: Mabel pinned Savio Vega (8:32) to win the KOTR Tournament

- Tag Team Main Event: Diesel and Bam Bam Bigelow beat Tatanka and Psycho Sid (17:35) when Diesel pinned Tatanka.

On paper, the tournament quarterfinals look bad, but with the LIKELY semi-final round of HBK vs. Undertaker, and a final of LIKELY HBK or Undertaker vs. Razor Ramon, or even Yokozuna, it can't be that bad. Wrong.

Before the PPV even starts, you're informed by Stephanie Wyand that Razor Ramon cannot compete due to rib injuries, I believe, and his replacement will be the winner of an epic Savio Vega vs. IRS match... The Caribbean Legend vs. The Tax Man.. what a bonus! Savio manages to advance, and to officially kick of the PPV, Savio's immediately back to face Yokozuna in his quarterfinal match. Bad, slow match. Savio gets the fluke win when Yokozuna hits the ringpost and is counted out. At this point, due to the bracket set-up, you're thinking, "Savio, The Roadie, or Bob Holly is going to be in the final?" Yes. Speaking of the latter two, they're up next. It's sad that with a card with guys like Bret Hart, HBK, and even Undertaker, that the best performance comes from a match between The Roadie and Bob Holly. Match hits about **1/2 tops, and the Roadie gets the win, to advance to the semi-finals against Savio.

Next, HBK, fresh off of a face turn with the ENTIRE crowd behind him faces Kama. Well, there are worse wrestlers out there besides Kama. Here's one way to help kill a live crowd: Take the most over guy in the tournament, HBK, and put him in a boring 15-minute match that goes to a Time Limit Draw, and ELIMINATES him from the tournament all together. Well, at least there's still the Undertaker.

Undertaker is in the feud where the Million Dollar Corporation stole his urn, particuarly Kama. The match is obviously bad, since it's Mabel vs. Undertaker. Taker chokeslams Mabel, but no referee! Wait, it's Kama! While Taker is pinning Mabel, Kama KICKS HIM IN THE HEAD! Mabel with a splash, and Undertaker loses? Yes, Mabel is going straight to the finals to face the winner of Roadie vs. Savio Vega, as everyone cringes at the thought of what a disaster this tournament has been. Savio does win that match and advances, BTW.

While we were getting Diesel vs. the likes of Sid and Tatanka in our main events, Bret Hart was stuck in his feud with Jerry Lawler, once again. Sure, it had already been covered over a year ago, but it must be done again, this time... with foot fungus! It's a Kiss My Foot match, so the loser obviously must kiss the winner's foot. Lawler being so confident that he'll win, has been dirtying up his foot for weeks, not washing it once. The match is nothing special at all, but it tops just about everything else minus the MOTN mentioned above. Bret wins, and Lawler tastes his own foot as a result. The fans are happy, until...

KOTR Final: Mabel (of MOM) vs. Savio Vega. Boring match, although I will admit that there are some decent nearfalls at the end that made it seem like Savio was going to win. Mabel wins a bad match and attacks both Razor Ramon and 1-2-3 Kid afterwards, who come to Savio's aid. Mabel is crowned King on the stage near the entrance as Sir Mo reads the royal proclamation. Meanwhile, the crowd is booing and literally pelting TONS of garbage at him. There is one pop when someone manages to hit Mabel right in the head with something. Worth seeing just for that alone. KOTRs: Bret Hart... Owen Hart....... MABEL.

Main event time. It's Diesel & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Sid & Tatanka! What a main event! The entire point of the match is to further the Diesel-Sid feud into one more rematch at the next IYH PPV. The match is as bad as you would expect, and the crowd is even denied seeing Diesel and Sid settle anything, as Sid walks out on the match, leaving Tatanka to be pinned. Bad match, HORRIBLE PPV.

I'm not just saying this, but if I ever have trouble sleeping at night, I can literally just pop in my tape of this show and watch anything to fall asleep within minutes. The show is just horrible matches and horrible booking. The tournament had a chance to possibly redeem the show with an HBK, Taker, or Razor win, but no.. Mabel.

Guest MikeSC

I think GAB '99 and BATB '99 are interchangeable as the worst PPV shows in history. Absolutely terrible.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC

I'll do a fed-by-fed one:

WWF/E: KOTR 1995, as mentioned earlier was pretty darned bad. I'll argue, though, that last year's Armageddon

# Booker T pinned Mark Henry.

# Randy Orton pinned Rob Van Dam (17:59) to win the WWE I-C Title. Mick Foley was the special referee.

# Chris Jericho & Christian beat Trish Stratus & Lita (6:37) when Christian pinned Stratus.

# Shawn Michaels pinned Batista (12:28).

# Ric Flair & Batista won a "tag team turmoil" match (20:48) to win the World Tag Title.

* Hurricane & Rosey beat Rob Conway & Rene Dupre (3:16) when Hurricane pinned Conway.

* Mark Jindrak & Garrison Cade beat Hurricane & Rosey (3:34) when Jindrak pinned Hurricane.

* Jindrak & Cade beat Val Venis & Lance Storm (7:17) when Jindrak pinned Venis.

* Bubba & D-Von Dudley beat Jindrak & Cade (11:29) when Bubba pinned Jindrak.

* The Dudleys beat Scott Steiner & Test (16:38) when Bubba pinned Test.

* Flair & Batista beat The Dudleys (20:48) when Batista pinned D-Von.

# WWE Women's Champ Molly Holly pinned Ivory (4:23).

# Triple H beat Bill Goldberg and Kane (19:28) in a "triple threat" match to win the World Title when he pinned Goldberg.

might be even worse. The ME was atrocious --- words fail to describe how bad --- and nothing on the show was terribly impressive. The mixed tag was, arguably, the best match on the show --- and it was an atrocious match.

WCW: GAB 99

# Hak pinned Brian Knobbs (5:41) in a "hardcore" match.

# Van Hammer pinned Mikey Whipwreck (8:35).

# Buff Bagwell pinned Disco Inferno (10:33).

# Konnan & Rey Misterio, Jr. beat Curt Hennig & Bobby Duncum, Jr. (10:44) when Misterio pinned Duncum.

# Ernest Miller pinned Horace Hogan (5:10).

# Ric Flair beat Roddy Piper (8:16) via DQ.

# WCW TV Champ Rick Steiner beat Sting (10:35) in a "falls count anywhere" match.

# Diamond Dallas Page & Kanyon beat Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn (19:13) to win the WCW Tag Title when Page pinned Benoit.

# WCW World Champ Kevin Nash beat Randy Savage (7:29) via DQ.

Might be worse than BATB. The Sting v Steiner match had one of the most ridiculous finishes ever (the dog finish, for those who remember) and nothing else hit higher than 2 stars. A horrible show --- but WCW had a lot of those shows in those days.

ECW:

N2R '97

# Chris Chetti & Spike Dudley beat Erin O'Grady & Paul Diamond when Dudley pinned O'Grady.

# Chris Candido & Lance Storm beat Tommy Rogers & Jerry Lynn (16:42) when Candido pinned Rogers. This match started as just Candido vs. Rogers and became a tag match when the other two interfered.

# Mikey Whipwreck pinned Justin Credible (7:15).

# ECW TV Champ Taz beat Pitbull #2 (1:29) via submission.

# ECW Tag Champs Tracey Smothers & Little Guido beat Buh Buh Ray & D-Von Dudley and Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten and New Jack & Kronus (14:32) in a "four way dance."

* Buh Buh pinned Kronus (10:04).

* Rotten pinned D-Von (12:27).

* Guido pinned Mahoney (14:32).

# Tommy Dreamer NC Rob Van Dam (16:02) in a "flag" match.

# Sabu pinned Sandman (20:55) in a "table and ladders" match.

# Shane Douglas pinned Bam Bam Bigelow (25:02) to win the ECW Title.

Now, we don't need to go into the utter abortion of a match that was Sabu v Sandman. The ME was unbelievably anti-climactic. The only match that was watchable was the opening singles/tag match.

Then again, ECW never did have a truly breakout show.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
I've never seen GAB 99, but wasn't DDP/Kanyon vs. Benoit/Saturn at least over **?

I didn't think so. Those matches all tended to blend together and I just never got into the tag work of Benoit and Saturn or the Jersey Triad. I felt it was no better than their match at BATB, which was also an, at best, 2 star affair.

-=Mike

Great American Bash 1991

I have to cover this one, given that it was so bad it even made 11 y/o mark Slayer very unhappy

Results:

PN News/Bobby Eaton over Steve Austin/Terrence Taylor in a scaffold match

Diamond Studd over Z-Man

Ron Simmons over Oz

Ricky Morton over Robert Gibson

Young Pistols/Dustin Rhodes over The Freebirds/Badstreet

Johnny B. Badd over Yellow Dog by DQ

Big Josh over Black Blood (Billy Jack Haynes)

El Gigante over One Man Gang

Nikita Koloff over Sting in a strap match

Lex Luger over Barry Windham for the vacant WCW title

Rick Steiner/Missy Hyatt over Paul E. Dangerously/Arn Anderson

Why?

1) Before the PPV even started, there was already an air of bad blood from the fans and wrestlers over Flair's departure, hence the term "Flair Protest Show." To overcome this would require a miracle, and WCW certainly was unwilling to oblige

2) The curtain jerk match, usually a good match used to fire up the crowd, is a scaffold match, which IMO is the worst "serious" gimmick match ever. Most of the time the wrestlers are walking on eggshells trying to not fall off, much less muster any sort of offense. This was no exception, hence WCW took a mostly dead crowd and turned it into a dead crowd where half the people were already home halfway through the PPV.

3) The furthering of the Yellow Dog angle

4) The World Title Match, namely

a) Suddenly and inexplicably pushing Windham as a world title contender after months of being Arn Anderson's tag team lackey, and

b) Suddenly and inexplicably turning Luger heel after years of being one of the top two faces in WCW

One good thing that did come out of this at least was the return of Harley Race, even though that wasn't really explained either, but he played the role of Luger's manager very well, and would go on to shine even more as Vader's manager.

5) The World Title Match, 95% of the time the final match on any PPV, was not the end here, being followed by a horrible tag match used to close-out a feud between two non-wrestlers

THAT is the formula for one of the worst PPVs ever

3) The furthering of the Yellow Dog angle

Since I haven't seen this PPV ever, either...what was this angle?

Brian Pillman was feuding with Barry Windham, and had dropped the fall in a Loser Leaves Town tag match when teaming with El Gigante. Pillman came back under a mask as The Yellow Dog. Ironically, Windham had used the same gimmick earlier in his career after losing a similarly stipulated match.

Windham's partner was Arn Anderson. The match took place at Clash 15(?) in Knoxville, the one with Flair v Eaton, and, in classic WCW fashion, was given less than 4 minutes.

1994 Starrcade: December 27, 1994 at The Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee:

* Vader over WCW U.S. Champion Jim Duggan for the title.

* Alex Wright over Jean-Paul Levesque.

* WCW TV Champion Johnny B. Badd over Arn Anderson.

* The Nasty Boys over Harlem Heat by DQ.

* Mr. T over Kevin Sullivan.

* Sting over Avalanche by DQ.

* WCW champ Hulk Hogan over The Butcher.

On Paper that card looks awful and yet the advertised one was even worse(Honky Tonk Man pulled out at last minute)

Vader/Duggan was the best thing on the show, Duggan seemed motivated and had Vader been in the mood it could have been as good as the Vader/Boss matches.

Giving 15 minutes to 2 rookies at your biggest ppv of the year was suicide, If WCW wanted to push Alex then give him someone like Regal to face.

Even though there wasn't long to plan the match This should have been so much better, Badd was really good from 94 until his knee injury, Arn just went though the motions working on the arm for 10 minutes before a quick and abrupt finish.

The Nastys and Harlem Heat must have wrestled each other on at least 5 PPVs without ever doing anything decent.

Awful, T no sold everything and the only redeeming part was Evad getting his ass kicked after the match.

Sting had an awful last few months in 94, Hogan was phasing him out for obvious reasons and at the Biggest show of the year he can't even get a decisive win over John Tenta.

Worst Starrcade main event ever, Sting/Hogan had a hot crowd saving it but this had nothing, No one bought Butcher as a World Title contnder.

Why were guys like Pillman,Rhodes,Guardian Angel and Regal left off the card? They would have improved the lower card matches.

The Yellow Dog angle was along the same lines of the Midnight Rider/Blue Blazer '99 angle

Brian Pillman lost a "Loser Leaves WCW" match to Arn Anderson in June '91 and not long after a wrestler in yellow spandex suit and mask (a la Conquistadors) who happened to be the same size/wrestling-style of Pillman showed up, thus kicking off the "everyone tries to unmask him to prove it's Pillman" bit, inlcuding the expected fakeouts when a not-so-similar sized wrestler (usually Tom Zenk, IIRC) would wrestle and then Pillman would come out and distract the other wrestler so the Dog could win

It was dropped by the end of the summer and good ol' Brian Pillman went back to wrestling as himself

Guest MikeSC
2) The curtain jerk match, usually a good match used to fire up the crowd, is a scaffold match, which IMO is the worst "serious" gimmick match ever.  Most of the time the wrestlers are walking on eggshells trying to not fall off, much less muster any sort of offense.  This was no exception, hence WCW took a mostly dead crowd and turned it into a dead crowd where half the people were already home halfway through the PPV.

You failed to mention that the only reason to watch a scaffold match --- dudes falling --- was scrapped on behalf of an uber-lame "Capture the flag" match.

You also forgot that Gibson v Morton was an absolute yawner of a match.

-=Mike

Another real bad one - Uncensored '95:

Blacktop Bully beat Dustin Rhodes in a "king of the road" match. The match was taped days earlier outside of Atlanta and was heavily edited.

Meng pinned Jim Duggan (7:04) in a "martial arts" match.

Johnny B. Badd beat Arn Anderson (0:22 - 3rd round) via knockout in a "boxer vs wrestler" match.

Randy Savage beat Avalanche (11:44) via DQ.

Big Bubba Rogers pinned Sting (13:43).

The Nasty Boys beat Harlem Heat (8:43) in a "falls count anywhere" match when Knobbs pinned Booker T.

Hulk Hogan beat Vader (15:28) in a "leather strap" match.

First, we have the flatbed truck match. I'm sure all that has to be said about this match has been said, but trust me, it was really bad.

Then we have a martial arts contest between Meng and Duggan. Does Duggan know anything about martial arts? This one sucked too.

Badd vs. Anderson wasn't that bad, but it wasn't exactly good either.

The we have Savage vs. Avalanche, which ends in a DQ! On a PPV that was supposed to have no DQs. And of course, this is the match where Ric Flair came out of the crowd dressed in drag.

It was good to see them try to elevate someone by having Rogers beat Sting, but it wasn't a good match.

The "Texas Tornado" tag match between the Nastys and Heat was just a bad as their other matches, and featured numerous dumb spots, such as them fighting in the concession stands. I can't believe those guys wrestled on four PPVs straight.

And then of course there's the classic Vader-Hogan strap match. As if the huge letdown provided by the Renegade wasn't enough, we then have Hogan dragging Flair to all four corners to win.

Just an awful, awful PPV. WCW in '95 was terrible until Nitro started.

2) The curtain jerk match, usually a good match used to fire up the crowd, is a scaffold match, which IMO is the worst "serious" gimmick match ever.  Most of the time the wrestlers are walking on eggshells trying to not fall off, much less muster any sort of offense.  This was no exception, hence WCW took a mostly dead crowd and turned it into a dead crowd where half the people were already home halfway through the PPV.

You failed to mention that the only reason to watch a scaffold match --- dudes falling --- was scrapped on behalf of an uber-lame "Capture the flag" match.

I forgot

I can't even watch a scaffold match for that reason either

You also forgot that Gibson v Morton was an absolute yawner of a match.

Most of the matches were, I just didn't feel like doing a match-by-match review

Starrcade 1997

December 28, 1997 in Washington, D.C.

MCI Center drawing 17,500 ($543,000)

Shown live on PPV (1.9)

-WCW Cruiserweight Champ Eddie Guerrero pinned Dean Malenko (14:57).

-Randy Savage, Scott Norton, & Vincent beat Ray Traylor, Rick & Scott Steiner (11:06) when Savage pinned Scott.

-Bill Goldberg pinned Steve McMichael (5:59).

-Saturn beat Chris Benoit (10:50) via submission in a "no DQ" match.

-Buff Bagwell pinned Lex Luger (16:36).

-Diamond Dallas Page pinned Curt Hennig (10:52) to win the WCW US Title.

-Larry Zbysko (WCW) beat Eric Bischoff (NOW) (11:12) via DQ in a match for control of Monday Nitro. Bret Hart was the guest referee.

-Sting beat Hulk Hogan (12:54) via submission to win the WCW World Title.

This was going to be WCW's equivalent of WrestleMania 3. The card was stacked and well promted (Benoit finally gets Raven, Nash vs. The Giant, Flair vs. Hennig, Bret Hart debuts, and Hogan-Sting). The Hogan-Sting match was just huge at the time. I ordered this ppv (my first from WCW) and really had high expectations...seriously, how could they fuck this one up?

Eddie and Dean didnt quite bring their ECW star-ratings, but a good match nonetheless. And then it just flys off on a down ward spiral...

Scott Hall comes out to do a crowd survey to replace the Nash-Giant match that was hyped for like 2 months. Giant comes out, but instead of a replacement match, he kicks Scotts ass and just leaves...

The 6 man tag sucked a monstercock...

Goldberg-Mongo was even worse...

Raven decides to not wrestle Benoit, so we get Perry Saturn in his place. not nearly what anybody had paid for...

Bagwell-Luger was pukeworthy...

Ric Flair was replaced by DDP. DDP-Hennig was insanely boring...

Bischoff-Zbszko tok the starratings into the negatives. It was expected to be bad but I kinda hoped thered be a modicum of entertainment value, but no...

And finally - Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting. A match that had been building for over a year. A match so big it got WCW a 1.9 buyrate. The biggest wrestling match and event of 1997. The most anticipated match in a long, long time...

The match ends up being horribly booked, with Hogan getting most of the offense. The crowd, catatonic from the pathetic undercard, are kicked around like 17,500 dead horses. A fast count angle is actually done slow by Nick Patrick. The match doesnt even end cleanly.

Biggest disspointment ever, terrible matches all around, and the beginning of the end for WCW...when it could have cemented them as a huge #1.

Worst PPV Of All-Time.

Look, I was AT King of the Ring 1995.

I got on camera (check the video) during Mabel's coronation speech for about 3 minutes. I was pelted with a big cup of beer (as was Mabel, Mo, and the rest of the crowd during his speech).

As a young mark (I was 12 then), I got to go with my dad, sit in the 2nd row, see a PPV, see pre-show matches, get on camera, mark out for Shawn Michaels...

My dad would go to shows with me, including the last ever ECW Arena show, and have a good time no matter what was going on, getting involved with chants, and just having a good time with me.

Let's just say, after King of the Ring 1995, he would never ever consider going to see a show with me for 5 years.

It was AWFUL.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Here is my contribution to this thread........

WCW Uncensored 1996

WCW US Champ Konnan pinned Eddie Guerrero (18:27).

The Belfast Bruiser beat Steven Regal (17:33) via DQ.

Robert Parker pinned Madusa Micelli (3:47).

The Booty Man pinned Diamond Dallas Page (16:00).

The Giant pinned Loch Ness (2:34).

Sting & Booker T beat The Road Warriors (29:33) in a "Chicago street fight" when Booker pinned Hawk.

Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage beat Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Meng, Barbarian, Lex Luger, Kevin Sullivan, Ze Gangsta, & The Ultimate Solution (25:16) in a "tower of doom" match when Savage pinned Flair.

Where to start with this one. Considering that Eddie and Konnan is about the only watchable match on this one(and at 18 minutes.......it's still not that great)and everything else is less than atrocious.

There was a match between Regal and Fit "Belfast Bruiser" Finlay that went almost 18 minutes and ended in a DQ.......U-G-H.

Col. Parker vs. Madusa? WTF were they thinking?

Oh and since I haven't mentioned it yet........THE FUCKING BOOTY MAN pinned DDP, and The Giant fought Loch Ness. Well let me start the vomit party.

Oh, I'm sorry did I say only Eddie/Konnan was watchable? Well, there is a tag match on here between Sting/Booker T vs. The Road Warriors that went almost a half an hour. OH wait, I was right......this match ISN'T watchable either.

Don't even get me started on what maybe the worst main event in PPV wrestling history(yes, I DO remember Diesel/Mabel)as Hogan and Savage beat 345,256 other wrestlers in this one. I think they were going for realism................

Sad thing is........this probably isnt' the worst PPV ever either...........ewwww....................

A few questions/thoughts:

1) Why didn't Raven face Benoit at Starrcade 97 if that's what they had hyped?

2) Was Flair injured? He wrestled Hart the next month at Souled Out.

3) Didn't Meltzer say Nash faked a heart attack so he wouldn't have to job to Giant? Why not have Giant vs. Hall instead?

And WOW...the WWF has had some bad PPVs, but did WCW have a TON of shitty ones or WHAT? 95-96 was NOT good for WCW, and neither was a lot of 98-99...

1) Why didn't Raven face Benoit at Starrcade 97 if that's what they had hyped?

2) Was Flair injured? He wrestled Hart the next month at Souled Out.

3) Didn't Meltzer say Nash faked a heart attack so he wouldn't have to job to Giant? Why not have Giant vs. Hall instead?

And WOW...the WWF has had some bad PPVs, but did WCW have a TON of shitty ones or WHAT? 95-96 was NOT good for WCW, and neither was a lot of 98-99...

1)WCW was running a stupidass angle where Raven would avoid Benoit and have random members of the Flock wrestle him instead. It was especially stupid on a show that was so hyped and seen by so many

2)Flair was injured, but they didnt announce DDP as a replacement until very close to the event. Flair-Hennig wouldve been a good blowoff for that feud...DDP-Hennig was among the most boring matches Iv ever seen

3)No idea why Nash didnt wrestle, or why they didnt run a replacement match...retarded allaround.

Nash claimed he thought he was having a heart attack, but he later said turned out to just be indigestion. It was yet another case of him not wanting to do a job, as that was the booked finish. He managed to get out of doing the job for Giant until Slamboree of '98, as part of the tag match with him and Sting against Hall and Nash. As you might expect, it wasn't clean; Hall smacked Nash in the head with a tag title belt for the finish. Shockingly, this just happened to give Nash a concusion, and he sat out the next few months of action.