TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

World Series 2004

This is a game that makes you sick if your team loses, I am sick. See you all tomorrow.

Matt Morris tomorrow, if you are going to the game tomorrow night, bring your gloves.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Manny better get a better stash for tom. night or he's gonna get his ass handed to him.

Guest MikeSC
9-7 Sox; does Tim McCarver suggesting Jim Edmonds's bad throw is partially to blame for Tony Womack's injury the first "McCarverism" of the WS?

You don't that kind of analysis from just anywhere, ya know.

-=Mike

Most players strikeout on pitches that are called strikes, but really 2 feet inside.

Very true. Edmonds has been a little anxious this series, though.

Rolen hasn't been swinging the bat well at all this postseason, save for a homer or two, so his 0-fer doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is pinch-running Marquis for our catcher and pinch-hitting Roger Cedeno...using nearly every reliever in the cupboard (Matt Morris is pitching tomorrow, Tony)...starting So Taguchi in a World Series game...and leaving Roger Cedeno in the game for the final at-bat.

John Mabry hit .296 and 13 HR in 240 ABs. You've got an open lineup slot at DH. START HIM.

Guest Brian
You know, if the Sox lose this series, I hope the media finally agnoliges how bad a playoffs Manny has had.

Manny's hit .326 with a .392 OBP coming into tonights game, and he went 3 for 5 tonight. His power numbers are low, but that hardly "bad".

Guest Anglesault
At the end of the day it's still friggin Mark Bellhorn. You don't let Mark Bellhorn beat you in an ALCS game. You don't let him beat you in a World Series game.

And seriously, if you are going to strike out almost 200 fucking times a year, you damn well better hit 27 homers EVERY year.

Guest Anglesault
St. Louis Equals choke.gif

As opposed to the Yankees this year?

The Yankees are the third one on the list

Seriously why even acknowledge posts like that teams have come back from a 1-0 deficit to win the series, no team has ever come back from a 3-0....... never mind.

Hard to choke when you never have a lead.

The Yankees choked, but that has nothing to do with this. Do you want Yankee fans to throw a parade because of that? Are we not allowed to talk about other teams choking now? Rolen and Edmonds choked like fuckheads today.

Guest Anglesault
Hard to choke when you never have a lead.

Anytime Mark Bellhorn beats you, it's a choke. It's one of those obscure rules that not everyone knows about.

And Edmonds and Rolen FUCKED UP.

I don't understand the choke, was Rolen's 0 for 4 or 0-5 worse than his .300+ average during the season, I guess, but if he goes 3-5 tomorrow is he not choking for the series? Pitchers get batters out 70 percent of the time. Don't get me wrong, Rolen swinging on a first pitch with the bases loaded was a terrible decision. And Edmonds? The pitch was far enough off, that it's not the old "you have to swing with 2 strikes" argument. If he swings and misses it is the usual Edmonds at the plate.

Good game Red Sox, see you tomorrow. Is it that hard to credit the team that wins?

Getting beat by one of the best second baseman in baseball this season is hardly a so called "choke." I don't know giving up those other nine runs didn't exactly help things. When you score nine runs you should win. Shit blaming Edmonds and Rolen? I think the Cardinals pitching had just a tad bit more to do with them losing.

Crap that was an ugly defensive effort. Guys just seemed to be trying too hard to make plays and not using their noggins. Manny just slid too hard on that dive and got his foot caught in the grass, so I can forgive him a bit for missing that catch.

I think the Marquis substitution shows the lack of depth on the Cards' bench. When you have to put a pitcher in to pinch-run, you have a problem. And that Womack injury can't be any good for them, if he's out for a few games.

I think tonight's game will be pretty much what we see for the rest of the series (minus the errors....I hope). Both teams will put many guys across the plate, and I don't think we'll be hearing Buck say "this game is locked in a pitchers duel" much.

Oh, and Ortiz's homer? MAH GAWD!

Guest Anglesault
I don't understand the choke, was Rolen's 0 for 4 or 0-5 worse than his .300+ average during the season,

uh...yeah.

Regular season numbers get thrown out the window come playoff time. You should know that.

I don't understand the choke, was Rolen's 0 for 4 or 0-5 worse than his .300+ average during the season,

uh...yeah.

Regular season numbers get thrown out the window come playoff time. You should know that.

I have no problem with that, but if he goes 3 for 5 tomorrow and is batting .300 for the series, has he choked?

Wait to cut off my quote, and change it to your liking, must be an election year!!

Rolen with a fucking disgraceful performance. He shouldn't even get paid for this game. Just terrible at tha plate. Bases loaded, one out, you pop up the first pitch? Fuck you, faggot.

Yeah, man, he sucked at the plate so that makes him gay. I think someone needs to show this chap the cyber exit.

And I'd imagine Rolen's still not 100 percent from that injury that kept him on the shelf most of September.

Guest Anglesault

And I'd imagine Rolen's still not 100 percent from that injury that kept him on the shelf most of September.

Then he should take himself out of the four hole.

Guest OSIcon

Some of you exhibit no logic in this thread.

Most importantly, you don't put Julian Tavarez IN a World Series game.

Julian Tavarez had a really good regular season. A 2.38 ERA in 64 1/3 innings pitched isn't too bad. He has had other solid or better years in the past. I know he pitched really well for the Indians in 1995 when they made it to the World series. He had a good regular season that year AND a good world series. He pitched really well for the Cardinals just a few nights ago. Why *wouldn't* you put him in?

As for Bellhorn, Al already touched on that. He isn't a terrible hitter. He had a decent season this year and has had good seasons in the past. If he cut down on the strikeouts, he would be a really good hitter. Even then, there are a lot of really good players that struck out a lot. Nobody is saying Mark Bellhorn is an All-Star or anything, but he is a decent player. Some of you act as if he is the worst player in the league.

The Yankees choked, but that has nothing to do with this. Do you want Yankee fans to throw a parade because of that? Are we not allowed to talk about other teams choking now? Rolen and Edmonds choked like fuckheads today.

Exactly, the Yankees have nothing to do with this World Series.

Neither does choking yet, as St. Louis didn't have a lead in the game so how can they choke?

Guest Anglesault
As for Bellhorn, Al already touched on that. He isn't a terrible hitter. He had a decent season this year and has had good seasons in the past. If he cut down on the strikeouts, he would be a really good hitter. Even then, there are a lot of really good players that struck out a lot.

Of course, those really good baseball players that struck out alot tended to bring SOMETHING else to the table.

You can kind of accept it if he's a big power hitter, bringing in 40 homeruns a year.

Striking out 175 times and only getting 17 homeruns out of it is absurd, no matter how many times the guy walks.

Guest Brian

Tavarez compiled some of those stats cheating. :D

As for Bellhorn, he's decent, and very overdue coming into the stretch of the last three games. Maybe the power outburst was alot, but he should have been doing more hitting and getting on base far more often.

Anglesault, please shut the fuck up and stop A) Bashing Mark Bellhorn even though he took a shit on the Yankees and won the game for the Sox tonight and B) did not help his team complete the biggest choke in the history of baseball.

Seriously, you bash your own team when they only scored 8 runs instead of 9...what fucking purpose do you still have in the playoff threads?

Rolen with a fucking disgraceful performance. He shouldn't even get paid for this game. Just terrible at tha plate. Bases loaded, one out, you pop up the first pitch? Fuck you, faggot.

Yeah, man, he sucked at the plate so that makes him gay. I think someone needs to show this chap the cyber exit.

If you're playing, there's no excuses. He doesn't give Albert any protection right now. Walker should be hitting in the number 4 hole and move Rolen to number 5. He's been by far the second best offensive player this post season for us, and the left, right, left, right makes much more sense. Or simply move Edmonds to the number 4 hole, and Rolen to five.