TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

World Series 2004

Odds gotta favor the Red Sox. Has a Wild Card team ever lost in the World Series? I can't remember.

Only the Giants in the 'wildcard vs wildcard' showdown two years ago

And the Mets in 2000

Guess on starting Rotations?

Not sure about St. Louis but BoSox look like this

Wakefield

Schilling

Pedro

Lowe/Arroyo

Wakefield

Schilling

Pedro

Lowe is pitching Game 4.

St. Louis will like go the way they did in the NLCS (Williams, Morris, Suppan, Marquis). Morris won't start Saturday on 3 days' rest, and Suppan can't go any earlier than Tuesday.

Fun fact I just heard on SC: NLCS game 7 winner Jeff Suppan was left off Boston's postseason roster last season.

Fun fact I just heard on SC: NLCS game 7 winner Jeff Suppan was left off Boston's postseason roster last season.

I heard that this morning on Sportscenter. Interesting tidbit.

Other than that, I don't think we can find any other weird, or interesting tidbits paralleling these teams.

Interesting Tidbit

The Celtics won their first NBA title by beating the St Louis Hawks, and the Patriots won their first title beating the Rams

(yes I know this isn't Boston's first WS win, but it may as well be)

Oh man, you know this thing is going 7. How could it not? And yes, it'll be another gut wrenching, hearbreaking loss for the Sox. They'll probably do some insane act of brilliance to force the Game 7 (a la Fisk in 75)...and of course lose the next game.

Spoken like a true BoSox fan. I'm still having a hard time believing the Sox won.

Guest DubWiser
The last 11 World Series these teams have played in (including two against each other) have gone 7

Indeed, and should they go to a game seven again, it'll be played at Fenway...on Halloween Night.

//Eeriness and shit

We're starting Morris on the road AGAIN?!

Damnit, I know it may be a blow to Matt Morris's ego, but for the love of Gofd run this rotation:

Williams

Marquis (If you are better at home than on the road, start your most questionable pitcher on the road)

Suppan (Looking ahead Game 3 & 7)

Morris

I think St. Louis should put Cedeno as the DH and play a little bit of small ball in Fenway

Renteria

Walker

Pujols

Rolen

Edmonds

Sanders

Cedeno

Matheny

Womack

This way Cedeno can bunt-bunt single if need be and steal bases or set up some Matheny bunts, since that is about his only offensive contributions since the NLDS.

Womack at the bottom sets up Renteria for some hit-and run plays when the top of the lineup comes around, and runners in scoring position means it is hard to pitch around 2-5.

Actually I'm not a Sox fan. Being from Louisville it's kinda complicated...suffice to say I am a Cubs fan first but also like the Cardinals since they used to have the AAA team here (Louisville Redbirds). I'm glad to see the Sox get to the Series though. That said, everyone here has to know deep down that this is all fool's gold and they'll end up losing this series as usual.

I'd just like to point out now that there is a difference between choking and losing to a better team. The Sox may not win. There is a 105 win team standing in their way. Not beating them doesn't mean they choked. If they piss away a late game 6/7 lead, then we'll talk.

Guest Anglesault
I'd just like to point out now that there is a difference between choking and losing to a better team. The Sox may not win. There is a 105 win team standing in their way. Not beating them doesn't mean they choked.

It means they're cursed.

I'd just like to point out now that there is a difference between choking and losing to a better team.  The Sox may not win.  There is a 105 win team standing in their way.  Not beating them doesn't mean they choked.

It means they're cursed.

If their cursed, it only in the manner that they keep running into REALLY good Cardinals teams.

I think the advantage goes to Boston here.. They have the starting pitching that can contain the Cardinals offense, I can't say the same about St. Louis particularly on the road. Sure the Cardinals have a good bullpen but what good is that bullpen if you dont have a lead. I think the Red Sox can jump on St. Louis's pitching and the hold the lead most of the time. Therefore, Red Sox in 6

Guest Anglesault
I think the advantage goes to Boston here.. They have the starting pitching that can contain the Cardinals offense, I woul

I wouldn't be so sure.

Schilling is hurt. If LaRussa has half a brain, he'll make THE FUCKING FAT MAN WITH ONE GOD DAMNED LEG MOVE AROUND.

Excuse me, sorry.

Pedro, quite frankly, sucked major ass against the Yanks. Pitched a good game but blew it in Game two, blew game five, and sucked in game seven.

Arroyo and Lowe just aren't very good, despite what the choking Yankees enemic performances showed you.

Guest Brian

Pedro pitched great until he hit his limit. He hits 100 pitches and he starts to lose his control.

Wakefield in cold weather should be good. I don't know if the Cards have seen a knuckler all year.

As for Lowe, he pitched pretty good, and if he's keeping the ball down he'll be good. As a sinker ball pitcher, like Wakefield, he should benefit from the weather.

Schilling's the question mark, but he obviously must feel confident enough to pitch two games after Game Six. Schillin g is probably what it comes down to, and not having to pitch in the NL park will be a big plus.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Here is a big bonus most aren't remembering, Schilling has the advantage of knowing the National League hitters very well. He has those computer printouts of the Cardinals lineup, he will be able to figure out how to work against the murderer's row 2.0

While St. Louis has to compete against Knuckler in game one and likely again in the series, something I don't believe they saw this season.

Here is a big bonus most aren't remembering, Schilling has the advantage of knowing the National League hitters very well. He has those computer printouts of the Cardinals lineup, he will be able to figure out how to work against the murderer's row 2.0

Believe me, LaRussa has more stats at his disposal than he knows what to do with.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Believe me, LaRussa has more stats at his disposal than he knows what to do with.

Larussa has stats for his breakfast cereal.

Frosted Flakes 45% effective against Vitamin D Milk but 58% infective with Skim

Corn Pops have .482 EMSA (Early morning statisfaction Average)

Sorry to break the knuckleball mystique. The Cardinals faced Steve Sparks twice this season.

Comparing Sparks to Wakefield is like comparing Gagne to Billy Koch.

Kruk and Harold Reynolds are complete morons.

Just said that basically if Francona starts Mirabelli at Catcher for Wakefield in game one than he's a moron and the players will fight him or whatever. Varitek has caught every inning of the post season so far, and it's very well known he can't catch knuckleballs very well. Starting Belli for the 6-7 innings that Wakefield is in the game really isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Also, Ortiz will be in the field at 1B for games 3-5 in St. Louis. I can't argue that move because of his bat being missed if he doesn't start...but i'm really concerned about the defensive liability he creates. Especially since the Cards are like the best defensive team in baseball. They capitalize on fielding mistakes VERY well and Boston is in deep shit if they lose at home.

Personally I think the cards take this series just because...

I speak I'm sure, for all Red Sox fans, when I say:

We don't give a toss what you think, Chicken Little.

Interesting Tidbit

The Celtics won their first NBA title by beating the St Louis Hawks, and the Patriots won their first title beating the Rams

(yes I know this isn't Boston's first WS win, but it may as well be)

Bruins also ended their Stanley Cup drought vs. the Blues.

See: Orr, Robert

orr001a.jpg