TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

World Series 2004

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I have a question that no one has really brought up,

Who will be named the MVP should Boston pull of the stunning sweep?

Boston's always been my favourite AL team (I'm an NL guy so this means I casually root for them to do well but it doesn't affect me unless they play the Yankees)

You probably like half the National League, Bob. Just based off your "Go Maple Leafs I mean Canucks I mean Devils" thing from the '03 Cup

The Red Sox should add another number to their 'retirement wall' in right field (yes, I know that 'retirement wall' sounds really stupid, but I couldn't think of another way to word it so am just sticking with that) ...

Because if they win (and as someone who's born & bred in Boston I'm still going to say IF and not WHEN) then people won't be able to chant that as a putdown. If the Sox win this year, then every other team will have a longer World Series drought than them.

Enjoy tonight's win, Sox fans. 

If you somehow happen to STILL lose this Series, you will NEVER hear the end of it. 

"1918"...."1918"...."1918"....

Dames

If Boston wins the WS, does that mean they can start chanting "2000" to the Yankees?

Yankee fans can reply by saying ...

"Twenty Six to five" *CLAP CLAP CLAP*

;)

To pose the question from earlier, if it's over tonight, who is MVP?

Only candidate I can see is Manny (.462, 6H, 4RBI)

Maybe Foulke if you want to entertain that argument (4IP, 2.25, 7K, Game 1 win)

I can't decide what's worse: watching us give away last night's game through nearly every single play in the game - or reading idiots like Jim Caple and Bill Simmons take limp-wristed jabs at the Cardinals and their fans, now that the Sox are up 3-0.

Whenever we lose the deciding game, be it tomorrow with Marquis on the mound or in Game 7 with Jeff Suppan on the mound, I just hope that we redux the handshake thing from the NLDS and give the Red Sox their due. They've had a hell of a run.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Ahem,

After this year it would be six total WS for the Sox (presuming victory, of course)

Famous last words.

Let's hear it for the Cubbies in 05...

Enjoy tonight's win, Sox fans. 

If you somehow happen to STILL lose this Series, you will NEVER hear the end of it. 

"1918"...."1918"...."1918"....

Dames

If Boston wins the WS, does that mean they can start chanting "2000" to the Yankees?

The rhythm would be all off.

Two thou-sand

Three syllables, not hard. It would go to the same rhythm as "You fucked up!" or "You sold out!"

Bill Simmons already solved this little problem. The chant will be "YEAR TWO THOU-SAND!!" clap-clap-clapclapclap.

It's all because of Muggy.

No- it's cause of me.

The Sox are 10-0 when I don't watch the first inning.

The barron-Muggy connection cannot be stopped!

But seriously... this day just feels so weird... they could do it today! It will be such a weird, yet awesome feeling if they do it. We have never seen anything like this before.... since NINTEEN FUCKING EIGHTEEN! I have no one in my family who remembers that date... because they didn't even exist then. This is something to remember...

On that note... Marquis vs. Lowe... I haven't seen much of Marquis this season, but I have seen Lowe quite a few times... and I gotta say... Lowe stepped up in the last series. Let's see if he can do it tonight.

I have a question that no one has really brought up,

Who will be named the MVP should Boston pull of the stunning sweep?

Well if it happens.... I think it may end up being.... Mark Bellhorn.

*tsm pulls out their weapons*

WAIT WAIT WAIT... he had the GW home run in the first game, and he had a pair of rbi's in the 2nd. If he gets a couple of more hits today, that could cement MVP in my eyes. Although, it would probably be Schilling since he's pitching on a foot that make Achilles go "Damn, your good!"

I know Schilling shared MVP with Johnson in 2001.... has a pitcher ever won MVP in the WS... TWICE?

idiots like Bill Simmons

Oh no you didn't.

Look, I like reading Bill Simmons. The man is funny and his insights on stuff like the Ewing Theory and the Vengeance Scale are tremendous. I read and enjoy everything he does...

...everything except articles dealing with the Red Sox or Patriots.

Many Red Sox fans say that Simmons captures the "essence" of the Red Sox fan, so I guess I just don't have sympathy for the Red Sox Nation. And I certainly don't have sympathy for Simmons, who was mercilessly smarmy and charmless when it came to both Patriots Super Bowl wins or, more recently, giving the Cardinal fans (smirk intact) a "D-" for dying out during the Suppan Surprise, which probably would have sent ten or fifteen Sox fans (and, if we were so blessed, one or two of the new breed, wearing newly-purchased Red Sox caps with the pricetag still on them) to an early afterlife, were he wearing a Boston uniform during his misadventures at third base last night.

I'm sorry if I can't help but roll my eyes when Simmons writes that the Red Sox winning the pennant is a "matter of life and death" when they're playing a team that had a twenty-game winner die in the middle of the season two years ago.

one or two of the new breed, wearing newly-purchased Red Sox caps with the pricetag still on them

I'd take the tag off but then I can't return it. And I want my $45 back

I know Schilling shared MVP with Johnson in 2001.... has a pitcher ever won MVP in the WS... TWICE?

Koufax ('63, '65) and Gibson ('64, '67)

And while I like Schilling, I'd have a hard time giving the MVP award to a pitcher who only pitched one (phenomenal even) game. Every pitcher who has won WS MVP pitched at least two games (unless I find a counterexample after I make this post)

EDIT: I was right

Well, if the series goes only four games, then that kind of throws the "two games" rule out the window.

Personally, I'd give it to Pedro. Games 1 and 2 were great victories, but Pedro dominated in a crippling Game 3 win on the road. He slammed the door shut last night.

Well, if the series goes only four games, then that kind of throws the "two games" rule out the window.

Starting pitchers have won it in past sweep WS, but those were all teams with three-man rotations (discounting the anomaly of the '89 WS)

The only pitcher to win in a sweep in the last decade was a reliever (Rivera)

idiots like Bill Simmons

Oh no you didn't.

Look, I like reading Bill Simmons. The man is funny and his insights on stuff like the Ewing Theory and the Vengeance Scale are tremendous. I read and enjoy everything he does...

...everything except articles dealing with the Red Sox or Patriots.

Many Red Sox fans say that Simmons captures the "essence" of the Red Sox fan, so I guess I just don't have sympathy for the Red Sox Nation. And I certainly don't have sympathy for Simmons, who was mercilessly smarmy and charmless when it came to both Patriots Super Bowl wins or, more recently, giving the Cardinal fans (smirk intact) a "D-" for dying out during the Suppan Surprise, which probably would have sent ten or fifteen Sox fans (and, if we were so blessed, one or two of the new breed, wearing newly-purchased Red Sox caps with the pricetag still on them) to an early afterlife, were he wearing a Boston uniform during his misadventures at third base last night.

I'm sorry if I can't help but roll my eyes when Simmons writes that the Red Sox winning the pennant is a "matter of life and death" when they're playing a team that had a twenty-game winner die in the middle of the season two years ago.

If you'd said Sox or CELTICS, I'd agree ... but I really don't think he's too bad about the Pats. He actually blows less smoke up their ass than MMQB does.

And, as a Bostonian, let me tell you a little secret: a lot of us think he's a major jackass. He's the kind of steakhead that you run into at the Cask n Flagon or the Harp that thinks he knows it all about everything and thinks he's the funniest guy in the world. Personally, I read his stuff but really do find him very annoying, and have often wondered why anyone NOT from Boston would bother reading his biased articles.

Koufax ('63, '65) and Gibson ('64, '67)

And while I like Schilling, I'd have a hard time giving the MVP award to a pitcher who only pitched one (phenomenal even) game. Every pitcher who has won WS MVP pitched at least two games (unless I find a counterexample after I make this post)

EDIT: I was right

Damn... forgot about them. You know your shit Slayer.

:headbang:

one or two of the new breed, wearing newly-purchased Red Sox caps with the pricetag still on them

What. The. Fuck.

You rent allegiance via baseball caps for the World Series? If I buy a Boston cap, I'm fucking keeping it, because I've liked them for two years now and still will.

I won't stand for all this Simmons-bashing!!

Anyway, add me to the throng that won't say the words "when" "Red Sox" "win" and "World Series" together just yet. But the Cardinals couldn't have picked a worse time to play probably their worst baseball of the 2004 season. That Suppan play was something I expected PEDRO to do!!

This series has been ALL about pitching. The Cardinals had good enough pitching to win 105 games in the NL, but by the looks of things, it isn't what you want for a seven game series, especially when your big bats are doing jack.

I still think there's a chance this will go back to Boston (the Cards are going to have to get into the same mindset the Sox did last week).

Oh yeah, there's a lunar eclipse tonight. I think I should go check if the Spam in my Y2K shelter is still fresh.

From a Page 2 article (I must be a glutton for punishment):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...buckheit/041027

Media slant or not, it seems as if almost everybody is in some way rooting for these lovable losers. I went to church in a Boston suburb last Sunday, and the priest called attention to the Red Sox prayer cards distributed in the pews.

I...I just don't know what to say.

Yes, Boston is insane.

Anyone else hear the Boston mayor's public prayer after game 3 or 4 of the ALCS? Funniest thing you will ever hear. Just picture a guy with marbles in his mouth, adding a thick Boston accent, and metaphors about cookies, and there you go.

"Lawd, hear our prayah."

What. The. Fuck.

You rent allegiance via baseball caps for the World Series? If I buy a Boston cap, I'm fucking keeping it, because I've liked them for two years now and still will.

I was going to keep the cap forever but I'm not paying $45 for a hat.

My plan is to wait a little bit after the World Series and buy a Red Sox hat when they are hopefully cheaper and do not cost $45.

I've liked Boston for a long time but I never bought a hat just b/c I wear my Braves hat 24-7. I was planning on getting a Boston hat and then splitting time with that and my Braves hat.

That was until the hat was $45. Now I'm returning it the day after the World Series ends. $45 for a stupid fitted cap. Amazing.