TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Guest Salacious Crumb

I feel sorry for anyone else on the Giants roster next year. I think I would kill myself if I had to share a clubhouse with Barry Bonds and Moises Alou all season.

Talk about over paying

According to ESPN.com, David Eckstein received a three-year, $10.25 million contract from the Cardinals.

He gets a $250,000 signing bonus and salaries of $2.25 million, $3.25 million and $4.5 million.

That just tells you the Angels overpaid Cabrera by at least $3.5 million a year as he's worth $1 million more a year at the most over Eckstein.

Well that was before the first day of free agency when the Giants signed Omar Vizquel to a 3-year, $12.25 million deal thus ensuring everyone was going to be overpaid this offseason.

Guest Failed Mascot
Varitek got 4 years, $40 Million. When Boras announced he wanted 5 years, $50 Million, we all scoffed.

Actually he wanted 5 years $55mill and a no-trade clause.

If they move Eckstein to second and pick up Lugo (who hit better than Renteria, surprisingly) or Larkin (who hit better than advertised) on the cheap to play short, then I think that this isn't a bad situation. If we end up filling the hole at shortstop with Rich Aurilia, Pokey Reese, or just give up and hand over 500+ replacement-level ABs to Hector Luna next year...then we could be in really deep shit.

Barry Larkin would be a nice pickup for STL. Give him a winning environment and a good manager and he should surprise. Shit, if he can convert to 2nd I'd like to see NY pick him up

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Got a question for alkeiper:

Given the Angels did not significantly upgrade their rotation this off-season, do you think this forces their hand and they dish out the money on Weaver? Both Ortiz and Sele left, and only Byrd came in - I can't see who our spot starter would be if we had injuries.

Got a question for alkeiper:

Given the Angels did not significantly upgrade their rotation this off-season, do you think this forces their hand and they dish out the money on Weaver?  Both Ortiz and Sele left, and only Byrd came in - I can't see who our spot starter would be if we had injuries.

While I am not sure if they will try to sign Weaver, I am not sure it forces their hand. If they were not inclined to deal with Weaver and Boras during last year's pennant race, I don't think they'll start panicking now. Remember, there's still time left in the offseason, and a few more starters (Millwood, Milton, Lowe) floating around.

Credit Rotoworld

Baltimore Orioles are still interested in signing Magglio Ordonez.

The New York Yankees had more talks with 1B Tino Martinez.

DH Ruben Sierra has narrowed his choices to the Yankees, Orioles, and Devil Rays.

St. Louis Cardinals have some interest in signing 2B Alex Cora.

OF Shane Spencer signed a 1 year, $580K contract with the Hanshin Tigers of Japan.

If they move Eckstein to second and pick up Lugo (who hit better than Renteria, surprisingly) or Larkin (who hit better than advertised) on the cheap to play short, then I think that this isn't a bad situation. If we end up filling the hole at shortstop with Rich Aurilia, Pokey Reese, or just give up and hand over 500+ replacement-level ABs to Hector Luna next year...then we could be in really deep shit.

I don't know about that. Defense is much more important for those positions then offense, and we have tons regardless if we get a better hitting SS.

Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Walker, Sanders alone is probably 150 HR, plus Molina will get better.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Does anyone think the Sox overpaid for Varitek?

Guest Failed Mascot

They overpaid a bit. I mean in the end they didn't budge from their $9mill per year stance, he just got a $4mill signing bonus along with it. Most of all he didn't get that no-trade clause although they did come up with something which basically means he won't be getting traded.

He may not have the strongest arm to gun runners out with but his preperation and game calling abilities are vastly under rated.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

They could've gotten Pudge for that much last year. And Ivan is much better than Varitek.

it's all about "intangibles".

He's the leader of this team and has been for years. Sometimes you overpay players like that.

SEE: Jeter, Derek

They overpaid a LITTLE?

The guys never had more than 80 RBIS in one season. Is he actually going to have the C on his jersey? Jeter doesn't even have that.

EDIT: But, Jeter does things on the field, i.e "the flip" that don't go in the stat book. And I think Jeter got his contract in two-thousand, as he had a monster 99 year.

Guest Failed Mascot

Jeter isn't worth $17mill a season and Giambi was never tagged on that ghey flip. Alot of Jeter's plays are over-rated, especially this year's dive into the stand. He caught it in fair grounds and for the hell of it dove into the stands. He's a showboat.

Tek has also hit at the bottom of the order for a good amount of his career. He's the leader of the team and the pitchers on this team believe he's the best behind the plate.

Guest Failed Mascot

Some of the money in the later years is deffered or something along those lines.

Keep in mind he's only been catching full time for like 6 seasons now. He also missed almost a year with that elbow injury. Unlike most catchers his age he's still pretty fresh.

Jeter isn't worth $17mill a season and Giambi was never tagged on that ghey flip. Alot of Jeter's plays are over-rated, especially this year's dive into the stand. He caught it in fair grounds and for the hell of it dove into the stands. He's a showboat.

Tek has also hit at the bottom of the order for a good amount of his career. He's the leader of the team and the pitchers on this team believe he's the best behind the plate.

No one is worth 17 million, and if you watch closely, in slow mo replay, not red sox bias cam, you'd see that Posada did make the tag.

As far as the stands go, unless he wanted to break his leg he had to dive. Even Johnny Damon said so.

And I can't believe this is being compared. Jeter > Varitek is the bottom line.

Guest goatfish

Wouldn't the more relevant question be is Varitek at 10 million a year better than Jeter at 17 million? Now that's a tougher call.

And this is a good move for the Sox, although I would have been much happier with the deal being 3 years instead of 4.

Varitek got rid of the goatee! But that's awesome with the C on his jersey. And as far as him getting overpaid...nah. I think sometimes it's more important to have a solid player...who can be the team leader...as opposed to an all-star who gives a shit about nothing.

Great pic.

Varitek got rid of the goatee! But that's awesome with the C on his jersey. And as far as him getting overpaid...nah. I think sometimes it's more important to have a solid player...who can be the team leader...as opposed to an all-star who gives a shit about nothing.

Great pic.

I couldn't agree more. Varitek is the heart and soul of that team, you HAVE to keep players like that. Don't mess with success......

Is he, stat wise, worth $10 mil a season? Not exactly, but his presence is. IMO that's why the Marlins couldn't match their 2003 success last year, letting Pudge walk. As great as everyone performed for them, he was the biggest factor in them winning out.

Guest Brian

He was, the question is whether he was tagged on time. I've never slowed it down, but everyslow motion TV reply looks like he makes it in right before getting tagged on the calf IIRC. I'd have to see it again.

To this day, I stand can't believe the ump could have seen the tag applied. Sometimes I think umps don't even know if hes safe or not, and just do something shocking to pidd the fans off.

:)