TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

The Replacements

I got Let It Be, and I really liked it.

I'm not looking for recommendations or anything, I'm gonna just get some stuff since this album sold me on them. They seem like a pretty damn good band, and I never hear them mentioned on the board, so I figured I might as well start a thread. There's bound to be some fans here.

For starters; my favourite track on the album is the opener. Replace 'meet' with 'fuck' and it's a much more interesting piece of frustrated pent-up sexual tension. But I guess that is why I am not a part of one of the more influential punk(? this is why I try not to label a band and stick them in a genre) bands of the 80s.

The Replacements, along with Hüsker Dü's later work, for better or worse, shaped alternarock in the 90s. I'm talking from Nirvana to Gin Blossoms.

Let it Be is awesome, of course. So's Tim, with Pleased to Meet Me an admirable third. I haven't bothered with the rest.

EDIT: I originally mentioned Soul Asylum here, but I remembered they were around in the 80s, too, so it probably wasn't fair to include them.

Love them. Pleased to Meet Me. Great record. The band so many bands wish they were. I have an awesome bootleg of their last show. So much good came from this band. Chris Mars really ruined a good thing. "Bastards of Young" y'all.

Interesting note about Chris Mars: his solo debut was titled 75% Less Fat. Really subtle about how he felt about the rest of the band, no. Great album, nonetheless.

And I concur about the 'Mats. Tim and Let It Be are seminal albums. I even like Don't Tell A Soul, which, while more mainstream and less edgy, is still a great collection of songs.

Another interesting note about Chris Mars: when one of his solo albums came out, he didn't want to tour, so his label send another band on their roster out to tour playing his songs with a big cardboard cut-out of Chris right on stage.

I've got the main three albums but how good is 'All Shook Down'? I've heard it mentioned in the same breath as such magnificently gloomy albums like 'Sister Lovers' and Red House Painters s/t more than once. Does it deserve this kind of praise?