TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

HTQ, when did Meltzer go from "Public enemy # 1" to "Ok, let's deal with this guy" in the WWF.  Trying to figure out Meltzer's code is tough, but it seemed like he and the company had real big problems in the 80s, but like I said they sort of died off in about 94 or so.  Any idea what happened?

I don't think WWE have ever seen Meltzer in what could be called a friendly light. I think what changed the level of their dislike of Meltzer was when they were on a big downward slide, and they were looking to just about anything to get some idea of what to do to turn things around. At that point, they'd entertain ideas from just about anyone, including someone who they don't really like.

So the rumor that Meltzer was unofficially on WWF payroll as a consultant in the past is false?

I don't believe he was ever on their payroll, though I'm pretty sure he got some kind of offer, but I can't remember the specifics. You could always e-mail Dave about this one.

Didn't Vince personally call Dave up and asked for his opinion on how to run the invasion(which felt was a good idea he gave vince) and then Vince did precisely the opposite?

Vince did call Dave about that, and I'm pretty sure that when Vince hung up, that Dave felt Vince was going to make a decent going of it. Then Kevin Dunn gave his two cents, and it was over from then on.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

dave said Vince's 1st idea was Gold, but they didn't do it for whatever reason.

What were Kevin Dunn's idea for the Invasion? I remember that he was seen by some as the guy who ruined it, but why?

Guest Ice Classic V.2

Also, is anyone aware of the first golden idea for the Invasion?

Unless Vince pushed for it, Austin wouldn't feud with Jarrett, and I don't see Jarrett as someone Vince would be willing to take heat with Austin for.

I wasn't saying it was a certainty, just that with Jarrett being a McMahon allay they could possibly feud.

I heard that Metzler won't reveal it because he hopes one day they'll actually use it.

Whatever this golden idea is.

Spoil sport.

Seriously though, if it's as good as Dave reckons it might be worth waiting to see if it happens...OK it probably never, ever will. But I can hope.

Wasn't Scott Hall supposed to go over Austin at WrestleMania X8? Apparently the finish would lead to the brand extension. Anyone know any details?

Hall was meant to win at WM X8. but it wouldn't have affected the brand extension, just kept the NWO feud going. Austin didn't want to lose to Hall, because he didn't think Hall would be around long enough to finish the feud off. The finish was changed the day before WM X8, but not directly due to Austin not wanting to do the job, but because the writing team agreed that Hall wasn't worth giving the win to, as he wouldn't be around long anyway. And they were right.

Guest Shadow

Why was it Hall/Austin anyways? Wouldn't Nash/Austin have more "sizzle" anyways for a Mania match? or was Nash yet again injured or did they simply think Hall would give Austin a better match? or were wanting to save Austin/Nash for a future show where they could build it up more?

Why was it Hall/Austin anyways? Wouldn't Nash/Austin have more "sizzle" anyways for a Mania match? or was Nash yet again injured or did they simply think Hall would give Austin a better match? or were wanting to save Austin/Nash for a future show where they could build it up more?

I believe it was a combination of Nash's frailty and a belief that the match wouldn't be any good, though more to do with Nash's physical condition. If you remember, Nash was literally falling apart during his 2002 run; he only wrestled seven matches before he tore his quad, and even before that he suffered some sort of muscle tear, with that occuring after his first or second actual match.

He was out with an arm injury for like 2 months.

And his return match was his quad tear. I don't remember where I read it (I almost want to say it was from Sean Waltman) that the match actually wasn't suppose to happen and it was a last minute decision to run it on Raw and Nash wasn't ready to wrestle and blah blah blah.

<<and Nash wasn't ready to wrestle>>

Ha! That almost reminds me of those interviews from the 80's, where Honky Tonk Man or The Genius or somebody like that would cut a promo on a face and then the face would come out and go, "Let's go right now!" and the heel would say something like, "What? Not now! I'm not dressed for it! I'm not ready!"

Guest Ice Classic V.2

What's the deal with Shamrock not being in the WWE anymore, I wasn't on the internet back then so did he get released or did he quit? Are the two still on good terms?

I assume they're not on *bad* terms, as the WWE has tried to bring him back since, but I'm pretty sure the problem was Shamrock wanted a lighter schedule and they weren't willing to give it to him.

and he probably didn't like being in a "fake" fight company as opposed to UFC.

He was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last year and mentioned how his kids thought UFC was fake "like it was WWF or somethin" his words not mine.

and he probably didn't like being in a "fake" fight company as opposed to UFC.

He was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last year and mentioned how his kids thought UFC was fake "like it was WWF or somethin" his words not mine.

Whoa. You mean after all those times he bled internally from his battles in the wrestling ring he'd come out and say it's fake?

I assume they're not on *bad* terms, as the WWE has tried to bring him back since, but I'm pretty sure the problem was Shamrock wanted a lighter schedule and they weren't willing to give it to him.

When he left originally (1999) he just wanted to move back to UFC.

They tried to bring Shamrock back in March 2002 but he wanted a lighter schedule than they were offering.

Cheers.

OK, this question is going to require someone who knows WWF music and video games well: In the original Wrestlemania for NES, I know the main theme was the music they played in the beginning of the Coliseum version of Survivor Series '87 (and maybe other videos, I don't know). Hogan, Savage, and Honky Tonk Man have "Real American", "Pomp and Circumstance", and "Cool, Cocky, Bad" (the name WWE gave HTM's theme on the Anthology CD). I don't really remember what Bam Bam's WWF theme in the 80's sounded like, but I'll believe that the game had it right. Dibiase, for some reason, had Strike Force's old theme, "Girls in Cars". But, was Andre's theme in that game any real WWF music? I know Andre never had music in WWF, but he did in Wrestlemania for NES, and if they gave him any real WWF music in that game, I don't recognize it.

Last year when footage of Mordecai's entrance, the Concrete Crypt match finish, and the end to No Mercy was leaked on to the internet before the PPVs even started, how did that footage get out?

Last year when footage of Mordecai's entrance, the Concrete Crypt match finish, and the end to No Mercy was leaked on to the internet before the PPVs even started, how did that footage get out?

Perhaps someone had one of those big sat. dishes and picked up the signal?

Guest Shadow

That arena had one of those 24/7 "inside the venue" cameras. It telecasts on that arena's homesite.

OK, this question is going to require someone who knows WWF music and video games well: In the original Wrestlemania for NES, I know the main theme was the music they played in the beginning of the Coliseum version of Survivor Series '87 (and maybe other videos, I don't know). Hogan, Savage, and Honky Tonk Man have "Real American", "Pomp and Circumstance", and "Cool, Cocky, Bad" (the name WWE gave HTM's theme on the Anthology CD). I don't really remember what Bam Bam's WWF theme in the 80's sounded like, but I'll believe that the game had it right. Dibiase, for some reason, had Strike Force's old theme, "Girls in Cars". But, was Andre's theme in that game any real WWF music? I know Andre never had music in WWF, but he did in Wrestlemania for NES, and if they gave him any real WWF music in that game, I don't recognize it.

I havent played that in years but I think they had Bam Bams right. Actualyl I cant even think right now how his theme went. Check Wm 4 for it if you have a copy.

I just saw this game at gamecrazy used for like 2.50 I think ill pick it up.

That arena had one of those 24/7 "inside the venue" cameras. It telecasts on that arena's homesite.

Well that would work for the Mordecai entrance...but the other two were taped segments that didn't take place in the arena, or at least not in the main area.

Guest Professor X

DrVenkman Posted: Mar 29 2005, 08:05 PM

I stand still, the conclusions jump to me

Guess I was wrong about the Ahmed thing... he was the "black man that couldn't speak English" that JJ apparently mentioned, not the drug addict (I'll assume Hall for that).

Stolen from TOA:

Dressed in a jacket with

his hair tied back (looking a lot like Curt Hennig) Jarrett delivers the

mother of all "shoot" interviews. (How did we know it was a "shoot"?

Jarrett told us. Heh). The high points:

Greetings from under the black resistol hat,

What's TOA stands for?