TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

That arena had one of those 24/7 "inside the venue" cameras. It telecasts on that arena's homesite.

Well that would work for the Mordecai entrance...but the other two were taped segments that didn't take place in the arena, or at least not in the main area.

I can only assume that someone was able to pick them up with their satellite dish, like how some people were able to post SmackDown! outtakes years ago. IIRC sometimes the frequency used for WWE's A/V got picked up on some satellite dishes. That's the only thing I can assume, unless a WWE employee leaked it themselves.

And the 'inside-the-arena' cam wouldn't work, since the Mordecai entrance cut between two different cameras and had a WWE logo in the corner.

Last year when footage of Mordecai's entrance, the Concrete Crypt match finish, and the end to No Mercy was leaked on to the internet before the PPVs even started, how did that footage get out?

I believe most TV segments and even shows are sent via a (usually) secure channel to all regional distributors who then record the relayed programs. It's how episodes of TV shows can be spoiled before they are even aired. Since these segments were pre-taped, it makes sense someone able to receive this secure broadcast channel would be able to capture and upload them before the actual live show was on.

Pretty sure this hasn't been said.

How about the "scab" referees angle from late '99? The regular refs were "on strike" and guys like the Brooklyn Brawler and Harvey Whippleman were used as refs. I don't think anything was ever done with it, and it would seem as though it was only done because of a real life problem with the refs. Anyone?

I remember that. That basically ended after unforgiven 99 (where austin was made guest ref for the 6 pack challenge due to no real refs left) they even cost chyna the ic belt against JJ that night as the sacb ref (tom pritchard) was attacked by the other refs or somethin. And one ref crossed the picket line and got beat up by Earl Hebner and others/

Just wondering...during the Summer of 95...before Nitro debuted, was there scheduled to be a feud between The British Bulldog & Lex Luger?

I remember Luger running in during the Diesel/Mabel match at Summerslam 95...and I think the week after a Bulldog interview in the ring about his turn, Luger was suppossed to give a reply...but then Nitro occured and Luger was in WCW.

So...was there a Luger/Bulldog feud planned?

Pretty sure this hasn't been said.

How about the "scab" referees angle from late '99? The regular refs were "on strike" and guys like the Brooklyn Brawler and Harvey Whippleman were used as refs. I don't think anything was ever done with it, and it would seem as though it was only done because of a real life problem with the refs. Anyone?

I had to double-check on this one, but what actually happened was that all the refs went "on strike," leaving the WWF to fill in with replacement refs, headed up by Tom Pritchard.

They did a shitty job all night at the PPV (including I-C match, where it looked like Chyna won the belt, only to have Pritchard come out and overturn the decision, much to the dismay of the crowd (yes, they were pissed Chyna wasn't the I-C champ)).

The situation boiled over in the main event when one ref - Jimmy Corderas - crossed the picket line and officiated the main event. Austin was an 'outside enforcer' who was also pulling double duty with some commentary at ringside. The finish of the match saw the real refs come out to harass Corderas for crossing the picket line, and they even pulled him out of the ring to beat him up when he was in the middle of a potentially match-deciding three-count.

With no ref, all hell broke loose in the ring, allowing HHH to cheat and set up a pin. With all the refs fighting on the outside, Austin was forced to offiiciate the match, and he got in the ring just in time to see HHH making a pin attempt. Austin begrudgingly counted the fall and awarded HHH the title.

Overbooked? Maybe. But it was a pretty unique idea that played out very well, and it did a good job of taking a show-long angle and giving it a worthwhile payoff in the main event.

No, because Luger was considered such a negative babyface that it was felt such a feud would do more to turn Bulldog back babyface than establish his heel turn. It's also why Bulldog did his big turn against Diesel and not Luger. Bulldog turning on Luger would have wound up with Davey Boy being the babyface, Luger was that un-over as a babyface.

Guest Pariah

Was there ever any plan of a Bulldog/Flair series? Because could of seriously made Davey into a player. I was watching RR'92 the other and it just struck me at how easily they could have had Luger/Flair or Sting/Flair style matches with Davey in the mix.

Guest MikeSC
That arena had one of those 24/7 "inside the venue" cameras. It telecasts on that arena's homesite.

Well that would work for the Mordecai entrance...but the other two were taped segments that didn't take place in the arena, or at least not in the main area.

I can only assume that someone was able to pick them up with their satellite dish, like how some people were able to post SmackDown! outtakes years ago. IIRC sometimes the frequency used for WWE's A/V got picked up on some satellite dishes. That's the only thing I can assume, unless a WWE employee leaked it themselves.

And the 'inside-the-arena' cam wouldn't work, since the Mordecai entrance cut between two different cameras and had a WWE logo in the corner.

They had footage of the end of the Crypt match because the rehearsal was taped and somehow released. I imagine the same for No Mercy.

Was there ever any plan of a Bulldog/Flair series? Because could of seriously made Davey into a player. I was watching RR'92 the other and it just struck me at how easily they could have had Luger/Flair or Sting/Flair style matches with Davey in the mix.

I assume the less-than-stellar Bulldog v Flair matches from England disabused them of that idea.

-=Mike

No, because Luger was considered such a negative babyface that it was felt such a feud would do more to turn Bulldog back babyface than establish his heel turn. It's also why Bulldog did his big turn against Diesel and not Luger. Bulldog turning on Luger would have wound up with Davey Boy being the babyface, Luger was that un-over as a babyface.

Dude that was 95 most wwf fans would listen to anything vince told them. anyhow at the very least they probably would have had a short feud. but DBS was meant to challenge diesel and he did in oct at the IYH ppv

Dude that was 95 most wwf fans would listen to anything vince told them. anyhow at the very least they probably would have had a short feud. but DBS was meant to challenge diesel and he did in oct at the IYH ppv

I'll try once again.

There was never going to be a feud between Bulldog and Luger, because Luger was considered such a negative babyface that it was felt Bulldog attacking Luger would turn Bulldog babyface by default. It was also why Bulldog didn't do his heel turn on Luger, because, as I've already said, Luger was considered such a weak babyface that it would only have resulted in Bulldog being seen as a babyface.

1) Why did Crush appear at the 1995 Royal Rumble and then not again for the WWF the rest of the year?

2) Why didn't Adam Bomb ever get a big push? Bryan Clarke always seemed to be the big hoss type that Vince likes.

3) I've read the rumors before about Warrior originally being the guy to turn heel at Summerslam 1992, but refused to go heel...if he had accepted, would he have won the title with Flair interference? Would we have seen a heel Ultimate Warrior as champ?

1) Why did Crush appear at the 1995 Royal Rumble and then not again for the WWF the rest of the year?

2) Why didn't Adam Bomb ever get a big push? Bryan Clarke always seemed to be the big hoss type that Vince likes.

3) I've read the rumors before about Warrior originally being the guy to turn heel at Summerslam 1992, but refused to go heel...if he had accepted, would he have won the title with Flair interference? Would we have seen a heel Ultimate Warrior as champ?

He got fired in March of 1995 for getting legal trouble over guns and steroids.

Neither Warrior or Savage was going to turn heel at Summerslam.

Guest news_gimmick

1.) If I remember correctly Crush got arrested around March of 1995 on posession of firearms and drugs I believe. I'd assume he was then released and took care of his legal problems after that. This was also the basis behind him returning as a junky of sorts with a different look in late 1996.

2.) While he was a prototype of a hoss, I'd guess Bomb was just another victim of backstage politics of the time and was never seriously pushed. I honestly don't remember him winning any matches as a face either, he should have always been a heel anyway.

3.) Well that sure would have been interesting to see him work heel, I think it could have worked had the man not been a pain in the ass to deal with.

Guest Sturgis

Survivor Series 89' question.

The main event was Hogan/Jake The Snake/Demoltion vs. Dibasie/Zeus/Powers of Pain.

How(in storyline) did that work?

In the kayfabe world I highly doubt Hogan talking to guys like Jake, Ax, & Smash. Unless Dibasie picked out his team first then I could see them voulentering there services.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

Some random ones:

What was the plan for Warrior after International Incident, if there was one? I'd think he'd be fed to Vader or something.

I remember hearing that the Rougeaus (at least Jacques, anyway) has some heat with Vince for some reason or another. Any idea on what caused it if it exists?

What was with the influx of joshi talent coming in in late '95? Was it to help push the division or just a few appearances so Alundra & Bertha Faye had partners?

Thanks in advance. Great thread.

Some random ones:

What was the plan for Warrior after International Incident, if there was one? I'd think he'd be fed to Vader or something.

I remember hearing that the Rougeaus (at least Jacques, anyway) has some heat with Vince for some reason or another. Any idea on what caused it if it exists?

What was with the influx of joshi talent coming in in late '95? Was it to help push the division or just a few appearances so Alundra & Bertha Faye had partners?

Thanks in advance. Great thread.

I could see Warrior doing a lot of what Sid ended up doing. Match with Bulldog at Summerslam, and eventually a match with Vader.

Survivor Series 89' question.

The main event was Hogan/Jake The Snake/Demoltion vs. Dibasie/Zeus/Powers of Pain.

How(in storyline) did that work?

In the kayfabe world I highly doubt Hogan talking to guys like Jake, Ax, & Smash. Unless Dibasie picked out his team first then I could see them voulentering there services.

Probably no build. But I wasnt watching at the time so i dont know. Id assume they just annoucned the team. remember this is wwf, where all faces like each other no matter their past.

The angle actually started on the 9/13/99 RAW from Anaheim, CA (13 days before the PPV). There was a 5-way #1 contender's match between Rock/Kane/Taker/Big Show/Mankind that ended in a no-contest because all 5 guys beat down the entire officiating corps. Funny moment: Earl Hebner runs out as the last official, sees the carnage, then throws up his hands and walks away. Later in the night, the refs all ask Earl what they can do to stop this violence against refs. Earl himself got hit by Steve Austin during that night's main event and called for the DQ.

The 9/16/99 SmackDown! (taped 9/14/99 in Las Vegas, NV) opened with a shot of the referees protesting outside the arena. This show (and the 9/20 and 9/23 TV shows, plus the 9/26/99 Unforgiven PPV) used the following scab referees: Sgt. Slaughter, Harvey Wippleman, Dr. Tom Prichard, and Steve Lombardi.

Why was Vince hell bent on burying the Road Warriors during their second run in the late-90's? I remember them continously jobbing them week in and week out to jobber tag teams like Too Much and the Rock 'N' Roll Express. I really felt sorry for the guys and wished they won the tag belts again.

>The main event was Hogan/Jake The Snake/Demoltion vs. Dibasie/Zeus/Powers >of Pain.

As I recall correctly, Dibiasie and Jake were already feuding, and the Demos were feuding with Powers of Pain. Zeus was obviously brought in as Hogan's big nemesis, so that feud was there. I think Dibiasi announced his team first, but my memory of that period is really hazy.

The angle actually started on the 9/13/99 RAW from Anaheim, CA (13 days before the PPV). There was a 5-way #1 contender's match between Rock/Kane/Taker/Big Show/Mankind that ended in a no-contest because all 5 guys beat down the entire officiating corps. Funny moment: Earl Hebner runs out as the last official, sees the carnage, then throws up his hands and walks away. Later in the night, the refs all ask Earl what they can do to stop this violence against refs. Earl himself got hit by Steve Austin during that night's main event and called for the DQ.

The 9/16/99 SmackDown! (taped 9/14/99 in Las Vegas, NV) opened with a shot of the referees protesting outside the arena. This show (and the 9/20 and 9/23 TV shows, plus the 9/26/99 Unforgiven PPV) used the following scab referees: Sgt. Slaughter, Harvey Wippleman, Dr. Tom Prichard, and Steve Lombardi.

not sure if this is coincidence or not...

but have you noticed that as soon as russo left the wwf, that ref angle died?

What was the deal with Savage "retiring" in 1991? Was that just storyline or did he take time off for something?

Not sure, but I noticed that Savage was wrestling house show matches all the way from WrestleMania VII through to his televised comeback against Jake Roberts at This Tuesday In Texas.

Cheers.

not sure if this is coincidence or not...

but have you noticed that as soon as russo left the wwf, that ref angle died?

It didn't die, it reached a logical conclusion at the Unforgiven PPV.

Shawn Stasiak was also a scab referee at the time. Also, wasn't it Shane McMahon who counted the pin for Vince over Triple H on Smackdown, or am I hazy on those details?

The Blair Bitch Project: This was scrapped because of the lawsuit involving Sable. The terms of the settlement in their lawsuit were included a proviso that neither side could disparage the other, and it was felt that BBP deal could be seen as taking shots at Sable. There was also talk it was scrapped because Vince had no clue about the Blair Witch Project movie itself, which this was a parody of, and so didn't think the parody would get over and scrapped it.

Shane counting Vince's pin of Triple H: Shane was the ref for that match, but was knocked out during the match, and when Austin interfered, it may have been Austin who used Shane's hand to count the pin, though it could still have been Shane too.