TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Rob Van Dam: One Of A Kind DVD

Credit: Mike Johnson of PWInsider

World Wrestling Entertainment will be releasing a DVD dedicated to Rob Van Dam this January, titled, "One of A Kind." The promotional material for the DVD reads as follows:

"There's nobody in sports entertainment like Rob Van Dam. Period. Opponents and fans alike expect the unexpected when the self-proclaimed "Whole F'n Show" strikes with his high-flying, martial arts-based style.

Follow his amazing career on this 2-disc, 6-hour journey from WCW, to ECW, and finally, WWE, with 16 complete matches, hosted and introduced by RVD himself. Plus...over an hour of bonus features, interviews, promos and more. RVD truly is ONE OF A KIND."

The complete match listing for the DVD set features:

WCW Saturday Night - January 23rd, 1993: Rob Van Dam's WCW Debut as "Robby V"

-- Robby V vs. Pat Rose

WCW Worldwide Wrestling - February 8th, 1993

-- Robby V vs. Scotty Flamingo

ECW Hardcore TV - January 5th, 1996: Rob Van Dam's ECW Debut

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Axl Rotten

ECW Hostile City Showdown 1996 - April 20th, 1996

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Sabu

ECW Hardcore Heaven 1996 - June 22nd, 1996

Extreme Death Match

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Sabu

ECW Crossing The Line Again - February 1st, 1997

ECW World Tag Team Championship

-- Rob Van Dam & Sabu vs. The Eliminators

ECW Barely Legal - April 13th, 1997: Rob Van Dam's Pay-Per-View Debut

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Lance Storm

WWF RAW is WAR - May 12th, 1997: Rob Van Dam's WWF Debut

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy

ECW November To Remember 1997 - November 30th, 1997

Flag Match

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Tommy Dreamer

ECW Hardcore TV - April 4th, 1998: Rob Van Dam becomes ECW World Television Champion

ECW World Television Championship

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

ECW Living Dangerously 1999 - March 21st, 1999

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn

ECW Anarchy Rulz 1999 - September 16th, 1999

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Balls Mahoney

ECW Guilty As Charged 2001 - January 7th, 2001: ECW's Last Pay-Per-View Wrestling Match

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn

WWF InVasion - July 22nd, 2001: Rob Van Dam's WWF Pay-Per-View Debut

WWF Hardcore Championship

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy

WWE King Of The Ring 2002 - June 23rd, 2002

RAW vs. SmackDown! King Of The Ring Semi-Final Match

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho

WWE Monday Night RAW - September 29th, 2003

WWE Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match

-- Rob Van Dam vs. Christian

Honestly, not really. He hasn't been put into a great position to have big matches...tag teaming with Booker T, and he's done nothing since going to Smackdown.

They could of put the match with Triple H on that too from Unforgiven but it's pretty obvious why they didn't.

Guest whitemilesdavis

Looks like a definite buy for me. I hope they have some sort of segment about his feud with Lynn with highlights from their other matches. That Guilty as Charged match is the worst the two had.

It'll be fun to remember what he was like before WWE put him into the formula. He really was innovative and exciting at one point.

Guest rawmvp

The BAD:

RVD vs. Pat Rose

RVD vs. Jeff Hardy - RAW

RVD vs. Axl Rotten

(All 3 of his debut matches should just be glossed over in the main feature)

RVD vs. Ballz Mahoney - crappy match

RVD vs. Lynn - GAC 01 - crappy match

The Good:

Everything else

What should've made it:

vs. Jericho (Unforgiven 2001)

RVD/Sabu vs. Hayabusa/Tanaka -- Hardcore Heaven 98

vs. Al Snow (Hardcore Heaven 97)

vs. Lynn (ECW on TNN)

vs. Eddy Guerrero (Judgement Day 2002)

vs. Scotty Anton (Heatwave 2000 and debut of the Van Terminator)

And do we really need one WHOLE hour of RVD's promos? Could've used that hour to add more matches. The Easter Eggs should include his promos.

If their idea was to reinforce the notion of RVD being a hardcore wrestler then this would've been the perfect oppurtunity to use the RVD/Dreamer match from RAW in 2002 that made the Hardcore Belt a part of the IC Belt.

I would of been great if they shown every WWE match where RVD "accidently" kick his opponet in the face, including some Raw matches and the 2 PPV Main Events would of been nice.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Those matches are god awful for the most part. Most of them are early in his career when he was a completely boring worker.

EDIT: His match with Tajiri on Raw deserved to be on there more than 90% of what they ended up throwing on it.

Is this the one where RVD refuses to shake the Eliminators hands at the end? Is the only RVD/Sabu vs Eliminators match I've seen. And except for his WWF/E work I haven't seen most of the matches listed so it's highly possible I'll be getting this. Release date, please?

Edit: I remembered that I've also seen the RVD vs Bam Bam match and the first RVD vs Lynn match. Still, it makes over 10 matches I've never seen.

What should've made it:

RVD/Sabu vs. Hayabusa/Tanaka -- Hardcore Heaven 98

God, no. Probably one of Hayabusa's worst matches ever. This match was a classic case of a spotfest gone totally wrong. It started off fine, but once the hardcore stuff happened, it looked like they were all just doing stuff at random, and blowing half of it.

Anyways, aside from Axl Rotten (and maybe Balls Mahoney and Pat Rose), this DVD is pretty solid. Keep the Jeff Hardy 1997 and GC 2001 matches, as they had some significance to them.

Guest rawmvp

Marty -- You're probably thinking of RVD/SABU vs. Hakushi/Hayabusa from HEATWAVE 98.

I forgot to mention that RVD vs. Austin from a live Smackdown in Toronto also should've made the list.

Also, I remember that at GAC 01, the fans pump their fists into the air and chant, "RE...Spect" in accordance with Pantera's "walk". Does this mean WWE will acquire the rights to the song?

Guest whitemilesdavis
I forgot to mention that RVD vs. Austin from a live Smackdown in Toronto also should've made the list.

I honestly think that's been his best WWE match.

Guest rawmvp

Not to mention, RVD wins the match, and the crowd is ABSOLUTELY and undeniably rabid the entire time for RVD. Even the setup for the match -- when RVD, unknowingly, is the first wrestler to walk through a door and receive a title shot at Steve Austin later in the night -- was a markout moment.

Guest Benno

awful match listing, i'm going to miss this one,...seriously...rvd vs axl rotten and balls mahoney? those matches are both fucking awful...and they have his ladder match with christian but not the one with eddy from raw?...fuck this dvd..

Guest Dynamite Kido

Am I the only one that thinks it's funny that they barely give RVD ANY time on the ECW DVD, yet when they decide to release one for him...............it's mostly ECW matches?

WTF?

I'm just happy to see that they FINALLY put RVD/Bigelow out on DVD though. IMO, one of the greatest ECW matches ever.

Not to mention, RVD wins the match, and the crowd is ABSOLUTELY and undeniably rabid the entire time for RVD. Even the setup for the match -- when RVD, unknowingly, is the first wrestler to walk through a door and receive a title shot at Steve Austin later in the night -- was a markout moment.

That was my biggest markout moment ever.

The crowd went INSANE when RVD came through the door.

I'm just happy to see that they FINALLY put RVD/Bigelow out on DVD though. IMO, one of the greatest ECW matches ever

That one's one the Path of Destruction DVD that ECW released years ago. Awesome DVD BTW.

Guest LooneyTune

Fans: Vince Sucks! We want an ECW DVD!

(ECW DVD is released)

Fans: Vince Sucks! We didn't see much RVD footage!

(RVD DVD is coming out)

Fans: Vince Sucks! The matches suck!

Jesus, aren't people ever fucking happy?

Guest LooneyTune

Anywhere pretty much. All people do is complain, even when they get something they want, it's never good enough. The next best thing is making your own version.

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't put the RVD/Hardy ladder match, the RVD/Austin/Angle match, and the UT/RVD match from Vengeance a few years back...

I like those three matches...

Overall though, I think it's a good set. I might get it.

The DVD is decent. I am glad though because the two RVD/Sabu matches on here are the two I don't have. I have the Matter of Respect match and the Stretcher match, and the two on the DVD are the other two from '96. :)

I also wonder if they are going to include footage of his WWE debut and emphasize just how over he was at the time period. The RVD/Austin match could do it, but lets just hope they don't edit the crowd noise/heat in order to manipulate the viewers as they have done in the past. I wish they would also have the RVD/Rock to further show RVD's impact at the time.

I believe this is the tables & ladders match. I have november to remember '96, and they had one hell of a match which I think is what set this match up with the added "tables and ladders" stipulation.

Fans: Vince Sucks! We want an ECW DVD!

(ECW DVD is released)

Fans: Vince Sucks! We didn't see much RVD footage!

(RVD DVD is coming out)

Fans: Vince Sucks! The matches suck!

Jesus, aren't people ever fucking happy?

Fans: We want the orginal entrance music!

(WWE music volume 8 is released)

Fans: Vince Sucks! We want the ECW music on the dvd releases

Jesus, I'm not paying for that.