TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

What's the worst WCW Nitro Ever?

In this thread, let's post what we feel was the worst episode of WCW Nitro ever...

READ THIS...it may not be THE worst...but it's right up there...check out some of the fucking angles in the "angles" area...as well as match times and workes paired together...

And then post some of your memories!

12-20-99, The Baltimore Arena, Baltimore, Maryland

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Bobby Heenan

Backstage, the unseen Vince Russo and Roddy Piper argue, as Russo tries to get Piper to tell the fans he "sold out" to Russo, and Piper refuses. The announcers speculate that Vince Russo caused Bill Goldberg to be "screwed" at Starrcade, much like Bret Hart was two years earlier in the World Wrestling Federation. Kevin Nash cuts a "shoot" promo, running down Bret Hart and saying that Goldberg was screwed out of the World Title. Jim Duggan refuses to denounce the United States, and The Revolution brutalizes him until The Filthy Animals make the save. Roddy Piper quits WCW for making a horrible choice, but is stopped by Bill Goldberg and Bret Hart. Hart vacates the WCW World Title and says he had nothing to do with Piper's decision. Vince Russo admits he screwed Goldberg to make up for the "screwing" of Bret two years earlier. A Hart/Goldberg rematch is signed. Roddy Piper destroys Vince Russo's office, coming through the wall with a baseball bat. In the rafters, The Total Package, dressed up as Sting, was seen posing with a baseball bat. Disco Inferno was brought to Mr. Marinara by The Mamalukes & Tony Marinara, and forced to "join the family or live in a coma". Backstage, David Flair's gothic #1 fan, Daffney, is hit on by Jerry only. She responds by biting his nose and running away from the other Misifts. Later, David Flair beats down ring announcer David Penzer, as well as Vampiro & Jerry Only, for Daffney being harassed. Evan Karagias attacks Chavo Guerrero for attempting to sell him a book, titled "How to Pick Up Chicks". Dallas Page comes to the ring and attacks "Buff" Bagwell, who is claiming that an affair may have occurred between he and Kimberly, Page's wife. Roddy Piper gives an emotional speech to the WCW locker room about not selling out, as the crowd chants "boring".

1. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Madusa (with Spice) pinned Buzzkill in 1:38 with a German suplex after hitting him with brass knuckles thrown to her by Spice.

2. Curt Hennig pinned Hugh Morrus in 4:30 with the "Hennigplex" as Morrus was frequently distracted by his father, who arrived to ringside in a hospital gown.

3. Tank Abbott fought Jerry Flynn to a no-contest in a "No Holds Barred" match when security broke up the fight as the referee was knocked out. After the match, Abbott hit Flynn with a knockout punch cheap shot.

4. Brian Knobbs & Fit Finlay defeated Meng & Norman Smiley in a "hardcore match" in 4:00 when Knobbs pinned Smiley in the arena's bathroom after slamming a stall door on his head.

5. The Maestro (with Symphony) pinned Evan Karagias in 3:41 with a running knee as Karagias was concerned with Symphony, who was feigning being knocked out after Karagias ran into her.

6. Chris Kanyon (with J. Biggs & women) defeated Bam Bam Bigelow and Dallas Page in a "three-way dance" in 4:19 after smashing a champagne bottle over Bigelow's head while the referee was distracted. Page walked out on the match after hitting both men with a "Diamond Cutter" moments before the end.

7. Kevin Nash (with Scott Hall) fought Creative Control to a no-contest in 3:30 in a match without a referee after Scott Hall entered the ring on crutches and broke one over Creative Control's backs.

8. Jeff Jarrett defeated WCW U.S. Champion Chris Benoit in 6:56 in a ladder match to win the title after hitting Benoit with a guitar and climbing a second ladder. Benoit had just earlier attempted to climb a ladder with Jarrett incapacitated, both the rungs on both sides fell off, as someone apparently rigged the ladder.

9. The Wall (with Berlyn) defeated Sid Vicious by disqualification in 2:33 after Berlyn came off the top rope and dropkicked his bodyguard. After the match, Vicious powerbombed Berlyn, and then shook hands with The Wall.

10. Mike Rotunda & Rick Steiner (with Kevin Sullivan & Leia Meow) defeated Harlem Heat in 7:14 when Rotunda pinned Stevie Ray as he was distracted arguing with Midnight, who appeared at ringside after the lights went out.

11. Bret Hart pinned Bill Goldberg in 5:44 to win the vacant WCW World Title after The Outsiders (aided by Hart) came to the ring and brutalized Goldberg with baseball bats. Roddy Piper unsuccessfully came to the ring and attempted to shield Goldberg's body. Jeff Jarrett came to the ring and laid out Piper with a guitar shot. The group spray painted Piper & Goldberg, as the nWo music played to announce the new four-man faction.

nWo Nitro, while terrible, was important historically.

The nWo angle was hot at the time.

The Nitro before, the announcers made it clear that many of the big stars would be over in Japan the next Monday, and who knows what the nWo was capable of. I believe Savage was the only "high mid-card/main event" WCW guy left.

So the nWo took over the show. Yes, it was awful. But it helped establish them as heels that could destroy WCW if WCW didn't unite together.

So of course the WCW guys took FOREVER to band together.

But when they did it was memorable.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

The one show, which might have been the same show aforementioned ^ where NWO beat down Ric Flair in the desert for over 15 minutes.

The one show, which might have been the same show aforementioned ^ where NWO beat down Ric Flair in the desert for over 15 minutes.

I think it was the side of a highway.

But yeah, that was terrible.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

it was but they called it a desert.

Knowing WCW, the event was held in Chicago at the time of the beatdown.

I remember a show in 98 that was horrible. I think they were in Detroit or Auburn Hills. It was a 3-hour show with 6 short matches and the ME was Goldberg vs. Chavo Guerrero. Other than that it was basically Hogan in a luxury box.

I remember a show in 98 that was horrible. I think they were in Detroit or Auburn Hills. It was a 3-hour show with 6 short matches and the ME was Goldberg vs. Chavo Guerrero. Other than that it was basically Hogan in a luxury box.

This the Nitro in question ?

June 8th, 1998:

Yuji Nagata defeated Jerry Flynn

Horace Boulder and Reese defeated Juventud Guerrera and Van Hammer

Eddy Guerrero defeated Scott Putski by Disqualification

Booker T. pinned Chris Benoit

World Television Champion, Fit Finlay, pinned Norman Smiley

World Cruiserweight Champion, Dean Malenko, defeated Disco Inferno

United States Champion, Bill Goldberg, pinned Chavo Guerrero Jr.

I vaguely remember a show where the entire first hour, possibly more, was one long shill where there was absolutely nothing but advertisements for merchandise. I don't even remember if anything else took place besides that.

The last Nitro before WCW Hog Wild 1996...

You know the show where MEGA HEEL HULK HOGAN wins the WCW Title from The Giant?

And MEGA HEELS Hall & Nash face Sting & Luger?

Would have been nice of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall to APPEAR ON THE SHOW.

Check out Benoit losing to Alex Wright, a WCW Women's Match, and main eventers The Nasty Boys on this gem.

Oh yeah, and Ric Flair Vs. THE BOOTY MAN...

*** WCW Monday Nitro (Live)

08-05-96

Announcers: Tony Schiavone and Larry Zbyszko (Hour One); Bobby Heenan (Hour Two)

Cable Rating: 3.1 (3.1, 3.2)

Eric Bischoff was notable missing and did not do commentary for the show. Bobby Heenan arrived late for his duties. The Nasty Boys ran down WCW, and were confronted by Lex Luger & Sting, who questioned their allegiance.

1. WCW World Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat (with Sister Sherri & Col. Robert Parker) defeated The Rock 'N Roll Express when Booker T. pinned Robert Gibson after a kick to head.

2. Malia Hosaka (with Sonny Onoo) pinned Madusa.

3. Alex Wright defeated Chris Benoit (with Woman, Elizabeth, & Debra McMichael) by countout when Benoit left the ring to brawl with Dean Malenko, who came to ringside as Jimmy Hart was attempting to persuade Woman to leave Benoit and join up with Kevin Sullivan.

4. Randy Savage pinned Lord Steven Regal (with Jeeves) after the Flying Elbowdrop. After the match, Sting & Lex Luger came to the ring holding a black wreath which read "Condolences on the Death of WCW", which they found backstage in a black limosouine.

5. WCW U.S. Champion Ric Flair (with Woman, Elizabeth, Debra McMichael, and The Four Horsemen) defeated The Booty Man (with The Booty Babe) via submission with the figure-four leglock. After the match, The Horsemen brutalized The Booty Man, who was a long-time associate of Hulk Hogan.

6. WCW World Champion The Giant (with Jimmy Hart) pinned Sgt. Craig Pittman after a chokeslam. Giant decked Long after the match, as well.

7. Sting & Lex Luger defeated The Nasty Boys when Sting made Jerry Sags submit to the "Scorpion Deathlock", after Sags fought with Rick Steiner at ringside, who was acting as security to prevent the nWo from coming to the ring. After the match, Luger & Sting went backstage and found a black leather bag with the word "Turner" on it, as the limo suddenly pulled away and the show ended.

For the guy before...here is the very first "nWo Nitro" takeover...

*** WCW Monday Nitro (Live)

09-23-96

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Larry Zbyszko (Hour One); Eric Bischoff and Bobby Heenan (Hour Two)

Cable Rating: 3.43 (3.31, 3.52)

The nWo introduced their newest member, "Vince" (the wrestler formerly known as Virgil in the World Wrestling Federation). Vince, later renamed "Vincent", keeps Eric Bischoff hostage in the announcer's booth as the nWo does commentary with him. Hulk Hogan gives The Nasty Boys his hotel room key and his World Title belt and agrees to "talk business" with them after the show. Hogan closes the show by announcing the nWo will destroy WCW in an attempt to prove Hogan is the greatest star the sport has ever seen.

1. Kevin Sullivan & Konnan (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Brad Armstrong & Juventud Guerrera when Sullivan made the pin after forcing Konnan to wrestle the entire match. After the match, Sullivan & Bubba Rogers beat down Konnan, and let the camera know that this was Konnan's initiation into the Dungeon of Doom.

2. Chris Jericho pinned Mike Enos.

3. Glacier pinned Pat Tanaka after the "Cryonic Kick".

4. The Public Enemy defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat (with Sister Sherri & Col. Robert Parker) to win the titles when Rocko Rock pinned Booker T. as both men's shoulders were apparently down in a small package cover. Referee Nick Patrick awarded the match and the titles to The Public Enemy.

5. Greg Valentine defeated Randy Savage by disqualification when Savage used a steel chair. After the match, The Outsiders, Syxx, & Ted DiBiase attacked Savage. The Giant took over the commentary booth, introducing Hulk Hogan as his partner. Nash brutalized Savage, and them humiliated him by whipping him in the face with a "Slim Jim" beef stick. Savage was stretchered out.

6. Jim Powers (with Teddy Long) fought M. Wallstreet to a no-contest when The Outsiders attacked Powers and Wallstreet exited the ring. The Giant delivered a chokeslam to Powers, as WCW referee Nick Patrick agreed to referee the remainder of the matches.

7. Syxx pinned Jim Duggan after The Giant came to ringside and chokeslammed Duggan on the floor, and then rolled him into the ring. The New World Order attacked Duggan's original opponent, Ron Studd, on his way to the ring.

8. nWo Sting defeated Bo LeDoux with the "Scorpion Deathlock".

9. The Outsiders defeated High Voltage in a "First Round nWo World Tag Team Title Tournament Match". The Outsiders ran off Voltage's original opponents, The Amazing French Canadians, before the match began.

Guest MikeSC

I remember the Nitro before Russo took back over being quite horrendous (even with Modest beating Iaukea in a horrible match).

-=Mike

I remember the Nitro before Russo took back over being quite horrendous (even with Modest beating Iaukea in a horrible match).

-=Mike

"LOOK, IT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!!"

Although it did have Lex going into the pool. It was always cool when that happened, even though Lex's pool dunking was nowhere near as cool as Flair's the year before.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

"LOOK, IT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!!"

Although it did have Lex going into the pool. It was always cool when that happened, even though Lex's pool dunking was nowhere near as cool as Flair's the year before.

Hell, can ANYBODY remember a Nitro from 2000? The only one that stood out, at all, was the one where Storm won the U.S Title. The rest were just a mish-mash of crap all year long.

-=Mike

Guest LooneyTune

Any Nitro that had Warrior on it. Blech, what a horrible decision by bringing that piece of garbage. Directly stealing a Batman line didn't help him in the popularity department with me either.

Sting took Lex out into the OCEAN...and PILEDROVE HIM.

You also forgot one other gem....

Sting hit Lex over the head with a bowl of bean dip! If that's not hardcore I don't know what is.

Guest LooneyTune

Hitting someone over the head with Watermelons and Bananas is pretty hardcore. Ask Hardcore Holly & Bart Gunn.

Hey everyone guess what I have on while I'm doing a paper?

It's my old nemesis, WCW UNCENSORED 1999.

Tony Schiavone: "What great action! And do you know what we STILL have to look forward to?"

Bobby Heenan: "Mon-day Nitro!"

Tony Schiavone: "Yes, the World Heavyweight Title match, Hollywood HO-GAN and Ric Flair! Barbed wire steel cage!"

Guest MikeSC

Sting took Lex out into the OCEAN...and PILEDROVE HIM.

You also forgot one other gem....

Sting hit Lex over the head with a bowl of bean dip! If that's not hardcore I don't know what is.

At least it wasn't sand. That stuff can be irritating I've heard.

-=Mike