TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Fuck influence, because if we want to include that, it's fuckin' blues all the way. Nobody influenced anybody like Robert Johnson. I would easily hold 29 to 34 blues over your head. But I'm talking just "If I was on a desert island and I had to listen to one five year period of music." that would be it. On quality alone.

Unless, of course, you want to say rap isn't music.

somebody help me out here....is Avenged Sevenfold any good? I'm kinda digging their song "Bat County" (or is it country?), but if the rest of the CD is bunk I'm not gonna bother with it...

Fuck influence, because if we want to include that, it's fuckin' blues all the way. Nobody influenced anybody like Robert Johnson. I would easily hold 29 to 34 blues over your head.

Stones, Beatles, Dylan, early hard rock/metal bands (Led Zep, Black Sabbath, etc.)...even when you take into consideration all the artists that have since taken cues from them, where can you claim the blues has strong presence on music? Yeah, it helped birth rock, but very little of the people/bands that took something from the aforementioned canonical acts kept the blues in their sound.

But I'm talking just "If I was on a desert island and I had to listen to one five year period of music." that would be it. On quality alone.

I should've assumed you were being subjective. So I won't argue with you there.

Man, Johnson invented playing your bassline on the bottom strings of your guitar. I will still say Robert Johnsosom. When you try to present rock without acknowledging Robert Johnson, you fall, cause everything rock is based on, he invented.

Who invented the bassline? Robert Johnson.

Who invented rundown, boogie or repeats... Robert Johnson.

And yes, I'm being subjective... but who took what Robert Johnson did, and adapted it to the new generation... nobody but the new hip hop artists.

I know there's a lot of room for subjective interpretatioion in your stuff, but i'm not with it. It's all just rip offs of the blues shit, and they never were able to communicate what they did with the blues stuff.

Which is not the fault of the blues... they just couldn't relate anymore.

somebody help me out here....is Avenged Sevenfold any good?  I'm kinda digging their song "Bat County" (or is it country?), but if the rest of the CD is bunk I'm not gonna bother with it...

I was wondering the same thing. I've heard past songs by them and was unimpressed, and I even skipped out on their set at Warped Tour, but I've been hearing "Bat Country" for the last few months and I love it. It's one of my favorite songs of the year. I listen to it on repeat on Madden, lol... I wanted tod ownload the CD or stream it, but my computer is broken and I have to share thsi one, so I haven't been able to. I'd buy the CD if the rest of the songs were nearly as good as the excellent "Bat Country".

Johnsosom?

Anyway, little-to-none of what you mentioned goes beyond what I talked about in my last post. And Johnson didn't even invent the blues! (Which isn't to discredit what he did do for music.)

You're right, I did kind of skip over your questioning the influence of the blues. You're sort of right, but my standards are lower. If the blues influenced, say, the Stones, then everyone influenced by the Stones would be indirectly influenced by the blues, even if they didn't directly incorporate it into their sound. Like, Eric Clapton has credited Robert Johnson for much of his inspiration. So no Robert Johnson, no Eric Clapton, no Jimmy Page, no Tony Iommi, etc.

See, I think you give innovation and influence too much significance. No, Johnsosom didn't invent it. Hammurabi invented written codes of law, but our own constitution is still better. Something like... I don't know, The Love Below. Completely derivative and isn't really influencing anybody. Still a great album.

I've waited for some time for the right situation to allow a Hammurabi reference.

I was at the Patriots game last night and saw the brief performances from Green Day, Santana and Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy was the best, even though it was obvious he was lipsynching, the whole crowd was just going apeshit the whole time he was up there and Ozzy looked the best he has in years.

I have a question regarding Santana, when was the last time Carlos had the same singer with the touring band for more than one tour? Does he change the singer every tour?

Man, Johnson invented playing your bassline on the bottom strings of your guitar. I will still say Robert Johnsosom. When you try to present rock without acknowledging Robert Johnson, you fall, cause everything rock is based on, he invented.

Who invented the bassline? Robert Johnson.

Who invented rundown, boogie or repeats... Robert Johnson.

And yes, I'm being subjective... but who took what Robert Johnson did, and adapted it to the new generation... nobody but the new hip hop artists.

I know there's a lot of room for subjective interpretatioion in your stuff, but i'm not with it. It's all just rip offs of the blues shit, and they never were able to communicate what they did with the blues stuff.

Which is not the fault of the blues... they just couldn't relate anymore.

Are you the person who once said that The Spice Girls were the finest example of pure pop excellence in modern music history or something like that?

I'd prefer a post of yours going into more depth on that if you wouldn't mind.

(The cheese metaphor I'm about to use was stolen from Agent of Oblivion. I like it, and find it appropriate)

So say cheddar cheese is pop music. It's been around for years, and everybody knows what it tastes like, and they like it. Somebody like Nancy Sinatra is cheddar cheese. But then after this has been around for a long time, the suits that are behind pop know what's good about cheddar, and they alter it, and repackage it to make it even more appealing. The Spice Girls are Velveeta.

Everything that was good about pop is encapsulated in the Spice Girls. This was no accident. They know that sex appeal is a big part of pop music, so they get five of them, and each one will appeal to a different demographic. Somebody may find all of them attractive, but you have a favorite. Like, I like the tomboys, so I liked Mel C. Somebody else likes sluts, so they like Geri. Glamour girls, Victoria, and so on. They even have an ethnic one so their audience isn't racially limited. This was crafty.

They charge their image up with bubblegum feminism. They already know that a guy needs no added motivation, but sometimes a girl will say "Well, this music is pretty good, but it's exploiting women." Covered.

The music itself is exactly what pop should strive to be. Catchy, not overly deep, because when you think too hard, you see the shallowness of what you're listening to. They got the best producers to work with them, and not all of them were the greatest singers in the world, but you wouldn't know it to listen to their albums. They shimmer with professional sheen.

The Spice Girls never had a "message" song. The closest was about loving your mother, and that's about as innocent as a message can get. It's fun, it's light, it's just about having a good time, which in turn is what pop music is about. I can't help but smile when I listen to their albums, which is as it should be.

Now when Geri left, the dream was dead. They put out another album where they tried to be more serious, and you can tell when you listen to it that's just... off. There's a way in which pop is similar to punk, in that if you let it sit for too long, it will self destruct. In this case because it's promoting an ideal which isn't based in reality. A good pop act has maybe 4 good albums in them before the artist gets too caught up in trying to be a real musician, and they either have to abandon their pop sensibilities completely (Aguilera), leave music all together (Spears), or make a fool of themselves (Marky Mark). Speaking of Marky Mark, yes, I think pop is more of an attitude than a true musical genre, like punk, one which can cross over into many other musical genres.

The Spice Girls were dance pop, the purest form of pop. And that's why I call them the ultimate pop act. Everything learned from pop over the years was wrapped up in one group. The only one close to them was the original Beatles. Watch Help! and the Spice World movie. They aren't all that different. The difference was the Beatles had enough talent to follow through with their attempt to be serious musicians. And some of the Spice Girls did. As an owner of their solo albums, I can tell you that Mel C and Emma have talent enough to make it on their own. The others... not so much.

Nancy Sinatra's contributions to music wouldn't be remembered today were it not for Lee Hazlewood. "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'"—which he wrote—was a pop song, sure, but that guy had much more on his mind than appealing to the radio crowd.

Not that I had anywhere to go with the above, but Milky mentioned the Sinatra duaghter, which got me thinking of Hazlewood, which, in turn, got me thinking of "Some Velvet Morning," which is such an awesome song.

You know, although I liked the Spice Girls' singles back in, what, 1996 or 1997, I didn't know any better then. I listened to lots of cheesy pop, stuff that you could never get me to give a chance now.

However, Milky's words have changed my view. The guy has convinced me to give the Spice Girls another chance. What he said was well thought out, well written, and made sense. For this and otehr reasons, I am convinced the man is a genius, or at least is borderline.

I appreciate the theory, but I can't name a song I like by the Spice Girls. They were marvellously crafted though, no question. Even girls could tell them apart, and identify with one of them more than the others, which of course boys could never do with boybands. Girls Aloud however, kick their ass.

Cage - "Hell's Winter" might be album of the year.

the Spice Girls were nice to look at....that's about all the opinion I have on them...I know Mel C. (Sporty Spice) had jacked teeth but damn I dug her, I don't know what it is about her...

I always liked Mel B.

Nippin out during their debut video

'Kennedy' by The Wedding Present was initially written as a b-side, and is two minutes of about 3 lines of lyrics followed by two and half minutes of outro, and still stands up to repeated listening. Weird.

For a while I've been trying to remember what Everclear's first hit was, and that was it, "Santa Monica". Thanks.

(I didn't like it... it's just you know how sometimes you'll try to remember something and it will haunt you until you do)

Does anyone know where the new Bloc Party single "Two More Years" is from? A new album? EP? I downloaded the video off blocparty.com but there's no indication what the single is for.

As a little aside to my Spice Girls comments... if you haven't seen Emma Bunton lately, take a look at some recent pictures. Since she left the group she's started to look fucking amazing. I thought she looked pretty good with them, but they were holding her back. I mean, damn.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
As a little aside to my Spice Girls comments... if you haven't seen Emma Bunton lately, take a look at some recent pictures. Since she left the group she's started to look fucking amazing. I thought she looked pretty good with them, but they were holding her back. I mean, damn.

Make with the pictures then, gaywad.

So was I the only one who like Cracker during the mid-nineties?

Nope. I totally dug them. "Euro Trash Girl" was, and still is a great song. I also like the one that goes What the world needs now/ Is another folk singer/ Like I need a hole in my head.

Yesterday on the Alternative digital music channel I heard Sponge's "Wax Ecstatic." I wish they were still around.

I hear "Wax Ecstatic" on DirecTV's alternative station quite often. I love that song. I'm a big fan of 90's alternative rock in general.

Also, my favorite Spice Girls were Emma and Mel B (I think it was mel B... The black one). And oh my sweet Jesus, Emma is hotter than ever now.

Speaking of Everclear, Milky... you make me feel like a whore.