TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

"wax ecstatic" is a great song. it's got that drive and texture that just screams mid-90s the way that "connection" by elastica does.

i'm listening to the jackson 5's greatest hits, and "maybe tomorrow" has a SITAR on it. whoever made the decision to put that there needs to be shot. it's too bizarre-sounding to even be thought of as bad.

i'm reading the allmusic.com review of the new stones album, and this is what i'm seeing:

"The tight, sleek, muscular band showcased there was a surprise - they played with a strength and a swagger that they hadn't had in years - but a bigger surprise is that 'A Bigger Bang' finds that reinvigorated band carrying its latter-day renaissance into the studio, turning in a sinewy, confident, satisfying album that's the band's best in years."

"Far from sounding like a lazy affair, the album rocks really hard, tearing out of the gate with 'Rough Justice', the toughest, sleaziest, and flat-out best song Jagger and Richards have come up with in years."

"And, make no mistake about it, the Stones sound better as a band than they have in years..."

"...Mick is having a grand old time, making dirty jokes, baiting neo-cons, and sounding more committed to the Stones than he has in years."

"...t's the Stones back in fighting form for the first time in years, and they have both the strength and the stamina to make the excellent latter-day effort everybody's been waiting for all these years."

that stephen thomas earlewine, he sure knows how to pick those hyperboles with aplomb and freshness.

I was at a party tonight where all I was allowed to play off the iPod was Mudvayne, Korn, ICP, Phish, or System of a Down. I'm now a fan of System of a Down, because that's all I could stand. And I wasn't gonna listen to fuckin' Mudvayne.

That sounds like a terrible party. Tell those people you aren't friends with them anymore.

I'm going to see U2 tommorow in Boston! I am psyched like you wouldn't believe. I made give a short review in here on Tuesday.

Whatever happened to Smilez & Southstar? I remembered loving "Tell Me" back in 2002, although I seem to be the only one who enjoyed that song. It wasn't even a big hit.

Also, whatever happened to Lumindee? She had a big hit in the summer of 2003 with "Never Gonna Leave You (Uh Oh)" then she disappeared off the face of the earth. Did she even release a second single?

I have a bad track record when it comes to predicting who will stay popular and who will be a one hit wonder. When "My Name Is" came out in '99, I was certain that Eminem was going to be a one hit wonder who would disappear in two months. I thought Britney Spears was going to be a one hit wonder too.

For some reason, I thought The All American Rejects would be headlining arenas by now- don't ask me why. I mean it's not like they're washed up or just disappeared. But I thought they'd be a lot biggger than they are by now.

I don't remember if I thought Eminem would be a one hit wonder but I definitely thought he'd be a flash in the pan.

Remember Little T and One Track Mike? Possibly my least favorite one hit wonder ever and my least favorite novelty song. That song just got on my nerves as a 14 year old.

You know, Marshall Mathers is a pretty good music name, he could have just stuck with it. So is O'Shea Jackson (Ice Cube). If you've got a good name, just use it, I say.

I was fine with this new Big Star album up until the second half. It opens up with some engaging tunes, hits a huge wall of shit with track 5, "Love Revolution," recovers with the next track, "February's Quiet" (ranks among the finest Big Star songs, I think). That's followed by "Mine Exclusively," which is good, but it doesn't sound so much like a Big Star song as it does a Chilton solo tune. The remainder of the album, while nothing out-and-out offensive, sounds phoned-in and lackluster.

EDIT: On second go-around, I wouldn't say "February's Quiet" is along the same lines as "The Ballad of El Goodo" and the like, but it's still very good and easily the highlight of In Space.

Speaking of Big Star, their cover of "Femme Fatale" is pretty bad. It's not like it was one of VU's better songs, anyway, but still.

Yes, it really is amazing how a band so great could churn out one of the worst VU covers I've ever heard. Though that *is* quite a random tune to choose. But I guess you wouldn't want to cover something like "Heroin," as you'd just get your ass kicked by the original.

I don't remember if I thought Eminem would be a one hit wonder but I definitely thought he'd be a flash in the pan.

I still remembered what I said the first time I saw the "My Name Is" music video: "Oh great. Vanilla Ice Jr. He'll be gone in two months."

The first time I saw Christina Aguilera's "Genie In A Bottle" music video it was the same thing: "Oh great. Britney Spears Jr. She'll be gone in two months."

Speaking of Big Star, their cover of "Femme Fatale" is pretty bad. It's not like it was one of VU's better songs, anyway, but still.

Yes, it really is amazing how a band so great could churn out one of the worst VU covers I've ever heard. Though that *is* quite a random tune to choose. But I guess you wouldn't want to cover something like "Heroin," as you'd just get your ass kicked by the original.

You've got to hear Billy Idol's version of "Heroin." It's bottom-ten songs of all-time material.

There was this band from the early 90s called Eye & I. They did this big, shiny r&b/soul/hard rock version of "Venus in Furs" that was as misguided as that descriptor would make you think.

allmusic has no information on these guys/gals (or gal; the singer was a woman, though I do not recall if there were any other females in the band), yet they list them as heavy metal, which is totally inaccurate. I had what I guess was their only album, because they had a tangible relation to Living Colour, which was one of my favorite bands when I was 13.

I'm sitting on my roof listening to the Rolling Stones. Like, the actual band. They're playing Scott Stadium in Charlottesville tonight, which is about 1000 feet from my house. And man, Mick Jagger sounds like a Mick Jagger impersonator. Dude is getting on. Though they are playing quite a few songs off of Exile on Main Street, which is a bit surprising and nice.

Ones I caught, in no particular order: "Sweet Virginia," "All Down the Line," "Paint it Black," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tumbling Dice," "Honky Tonk Woman," "Get Off of My Cloud" "Ruby Tuesday," "Miss You," "Shattered," "Brown Sugar," "Start Me Up," "Sympathy for the Devil," "You Can't Always Get What You Want," "Satisfaction." And a bunch more, too. It was entirely hits with maybe 2-3 songs off their new album. It actually looked like an impressive enough show to have paid $65 to see, all things considered, but it was very nice to get it all for free, too.

Charlottesville has suddenly turned into a concert town, much to my delight. The Wrens, Of Montreal, Blackalicious, the Pixies, the Stones, and a bunch of other acts in the span of about 3 weeks. Who knew we were so hip.

Probably more than you'd think because of his different handles, but he's a bit of a cunt when it comes to fulfilling booking duties. Dunno what he's up to this minute, in any case.

Gentlemen by Afghan Whigs is like, a hard rock album made really interesting.