TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, not too varied, but I like it well enough. Not as good as either Acid Bath LP.

Someone at work said Slipknot is this generation Slayer.

I felt the need to throw my spatchula towards his spine when he turned his back against me.

I get the idea that most of ya'll would be digging Slipknot if they were playing 200-person clubs and bars....

Guest Derek Bailey

I often dream of a world in which Sparks had Queen's popularity.

On another note, I've realised that I can't discern between good metal and bad metal. Only between abysmal metal and other metal. Generally I'm an old man and this young people music all sounds the same to me.

Unless the bands are Japanese. Japanese metal seems to be invariably awesome.

Guest Derek Bailey
I'm sure I posted this before, but it doesn't appear to be here. So, on the days old topic of covers...

I heard that Stereophonics have done a cover of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet, but I suspect that it will challenge Muse's version of Lightning Bolt's 'Dracula Mountain' in the brutally tearing all intensity out of a song stakes.

Have you heard Uncle Tupelo's version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog." I prefer it to the original.

I just heard it, and I share your preference.

My local radio station play Songs for the Dumped by Ben Folds Five.

Odd that this station went beyond their playlist.

I saw Modest Mouse again last night in Madison WI. Another great, energetic set by my favorite band. Ill see em again in Tennessee this weekend and I cant wait. :)

I saw Modest Mouse again last night in Madison WI. Another great, energetic set by my favorite band. Ill see em again in Tennessee this weekend and I cant wait.  :)

I got "Good News..." on the strength of "Float On" and ended up liking that album a lot. They seem to have a very gigantic catalogue. What should I check out next?

I got "Good News..." on the strength of "Float On" and ended up liking that album a lot.  They seem to have a very gigantic catalogue.  What should I check out next?

Lonesome Crowded West is ultimately my favorite album of theirs. Be advised though; it's long and a bit bloated, and feels that way. If you become a big-time fan though, you'll eventually get it. Moon and Antarctica sounds the most like the new album, i.e. more polished, but aside from the three gorgeous songs that open the album, it's largely less satisfying than previous work. I think I'd actually recommend the mid-career singles compilation, Building Nothing Out Of Something. 12 tracks, 55 minutes, very crisp, wonderful songwriting that covers moments both melodic and groany-gritty-dirty. Out of all their efforts, it's the most filler-free and probably the easiest listen outside of Good News.

A friend of mine picked up the new Coldplay cd today so I got to hear it...I thought it was pretty good, but Ill prolly make a copy and play it a few more times to really develop my opinion.

I bought The Lonesome Crowded West based soley on the song title "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine." I was into Modest Mouse, and with a song title like that, I knew the album couldn't possibly suck.

I also like Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour tricks alot.

I guess no one really likes This is a Long Drive...? Eh... well, that one's good too. Really, while Modest Mouse has many, many compilations and EP's and the like for a band who's only been around since the 90's, they only have four proper studio albums, and in my opinion they're all worth getting. If I were you I would just go rever-chronilogically. That would be the best way to digest everything if you've only heard Good News...

They are very energetic live, but Isaac's voice is horribly inconsistant. Nonetheless, I too am interested -- what was the set list like? I saw them at a festival and they just played new tracks, aside from "Cowboy Dan" and "Interstate 8," so that was slightly dissappointing.

I like Long Drive very much, and it has some fantastic moments; "Dramamine," "Tundra/Desert," and "Talkin Shit About a Pretty Sunset" are the highlights for me. Overall, though, it still has some of the bloated feeling of Lonesome Crowded West without as many peaks. Feels like a first album. Again, if you end up a pretty big fan, you're going to have all the albums and get those high points some time or another.

I agree that chronologically is a good way to go, but the leap between the first few albums and the major label stuff might be a bit jarring if you digest it all quickly.

Sasquatch Fest, Gorge - 5/28 (prolly not the right order)

black cadallacs

paper thin walls

float on

satin in a coffin

bukowski

the view

the world at large

dramanine

goodtimes are killing me

tiny cities made of ashes

third planet

doin the cockroach

trailer trash

Madison - 6/6

1. Intro

2. Paper Thin Walls

3. Black Cadillacs

4. Float On

5. Doin' the Cockroach

6. Satin in a Coffin

7. Bukowski

8. Breakthrough

9. The View

10. Tiny Cities Made of Ashes

11. The World at Large

12. Custom Concern

13. Ocean Breathes Salty

14. The Good Times are Killing Me > encore break

15. Dramamine

16. Blame it on the Tetons

17. Bury Me in It

Im leavin for Bonnaroo right now, so Ill post how that goes (with Mouse's setlist too) when I get back to Wisconsin.

That's disappointing. I like the newer material and all, but only four songs before Moon? They've got such a wide catalogue that they could put on a great show where they really spread out.

completely changing the conversation with this random comment:

Embrace is the best work that Ian Mackaye has ever done; Minor Threat's lost it's luster and Fugazi is too hit or miss. The Embrace album has only 1 skippable song and even that isn't a bad tune.

Richmond Fontaine's The Fitzgerald is my favourite album so far this year. A case of high hopes more than satisfied.

I agree that chronologically is a good way to go, but the leap between the first few albums and the major label stuff might be a bit jarring if you digest it all quickly.

Err... sorry, that was a typo. I meant REVERSE-chronilogically. M&A is an easy step from the most recent album, and that will prepare him for the earlier stuff. If he loves the most recent album, then it might be too much of a shock to go straight from that to the more jammy and much less poppy This is a Long Drive...

Out of most bands out there, I am most interested in seeing what Modest Mouse's next album will be like. If they just remake Good News... (which I enjoyed, but still) then I will be thoroughly dissappointed. I really can't tell where they're going to go from here.

Something nice to pick up, by the way, is Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth, which is Isaac Brock and some guys from Califone/Red Red Meat, I believe. It's got a few weak points, but damn the production is AWESOME, and there are some very, very good tracks on it.