TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I've decided to skip John Mayer/Ben Folds to go to HippieFest '07 at Meadowbrook Farms (on Lake Winnapausake!)

Lineup;

Country Joe McDonald

Felix Cavalierie's Rascals

Joey Molland's Badfinger

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels

Mountain

The Turtles Featuring Flo&Eddie

The Zombies (!!!)

I think I'm just going to get $20 lawn tickets. Because I really don't need to pay top dollar to see a bunch of bands with one or two original members. Though as an avid listener of the local oldies station, I don't see any way this can't be a fun night. At the very least, there should be some interesting people watching.

what's the difference between joey molland's badfinger and just badfinger?

I really have no idea. Joey Molland is (was?) the guitarist for Badfinger and is IIRC, the only surviving member of the band's classic lineup (Edit: After checking wikipedia, yep he is the only surviving member of Badfinger). Don't know why he just doesn't call it Badfinger. Probably doesn't own the name.

Anyways the difference between the two is Joey Molland's Badfinger is is just one member of Badfinger and a bunch of nobodies playing Badfinger songs.

I have to assume it's the same deal with Felix Cavalierie's Rascals and The Turtles Featuring Flo & Eddie. Old bands that only have one or two original members and aren't allowed to use their original name.

good thing mountain's still intact.

Yeah one guy's dead (shot by his girlfriend in the mid 80s) but the rest are there. I think Mountain and The Zombies are the only bands made up predominantly of guys from their original lineups.

Still as an oldies lover and for $20, I can't really go wrong with this show.

I think Wavy Gravy is hosting the proceedings as well. It'll be just like a senior citizen's Woodstock!

am i the only one who prefers the american version of 'rubber soul' to the british one? there's something about the british version that seems uneven and doesn't quite gel.

You know, I don't think I've ever listened to any of the US versions of those albums. Looking at the tracklist on wikipedia, I can see where the American might flow a little better, but I couldn't survive the loss of "Drive My Car." In high school I knew a guy who hated "Nowhere Man," so I'm sure he would share your opinion. Unfortunately, he moved to New York, went to Tisch, and stopped believing in time, so I can't really confirm since he probably doesn't own a phone.

Morrissey's playing here in July and I'm going. I'm far from a Moz fanboy, but I'm pretty excited about this.

Obv. I am a fanboy by all accounts, but even I've been pleasantly surprised by his recent shows. Kristeen Young, who will likely be the support, is hot also, if just ok musically.

I think Moz is overestimating the size of his fanbase on this side of the Atlantic, but I dunno. Maybe he's thinking he can draw Pixies-size crowds. Look at these tourdates with accompanying venue sizes:

april

Fri 27 STOCKTON, CA : Bob Hope Theater [1,896 cap]

Sat 28 SPARKS, NV : John Ascuaga's Celebrity Showroom [700 cap]

Sun 29 SPARKS, NV : John Ascuaga's Celebrity Showroom

may

Tue 1 OAKLAND, CA : Paramount Theater [2,840 cap]

Wed 2 SANTA ROSA, CA : Wells Fargo Center [1,482 cap]

Sat 5 SPOKANE, WA: INB Performing Arts Center [2,700]

Sun 6 SEATTLE, WA : Paramount [2,782]

Tue 8 SALT LAKE CITY, UT : E Center Ford Theater [3,500]

Wed 9 DENVER, CO : Fillmore [3,600]

Fri 11 OMAHA, NE : Orpheum [2,586]

Sat 12 MILWAUKEE, WI : Riverside [2,304]

Mon 14 ANN ARBOR, MI : Michigan Theater [1,591]

Tue 15 CHICAGO, IL : Auditorium [3,635]

Thur 17 CLEVELAND, OH : Playhouse Square Center [2,837]

Fri 18 COLUMBUS, OH : Palace Theater [2,705]

Sun 20 INDIANAPOLIS, IN : Murat Center [2,889]

Tue 22 ST LOUIS, MO : The Pageant [2,000]

Wed 23 KANSAS CITY, MO : Uptown Theater [2,200]

Fri 25 DALLAS, TX : Palladium [2,800]

Sat 26 AUSTIN, TX : Backyard [5,000]

Mon 28 HOUSTON, TX : Verizon [2,815]

Wed 30 EL PASO, TX : County Coliseum [3,500]

Thur 31 TUCSON, AZ : Music Hall [2,289]

june

Sat 2 PHOENIX, AZ : Maricopa County Events Center [6,500]

Sun 3 SAN DIEGO, CA : Bayside Concerts [10,000]

Tue 5 VENTURA, CA : Majestic Ventura Theater [1,200]

Wed 6 RIVERSIDE, CA : Riverside Municipal Auditorium [1,950]

Fri 8 LOS ANGELES, CA : Hollywood Bowl [17,562]

Sat 9 LAS VEGAS, NV : Pearl [2,352]

Tue 26 BOSTON, MA : Bank of America Pavilion [4,994 cap]

Wed 27 NORTHAMPTON, MA : Pines Theater [2,250]

Fri 29 PHILADELPHIA, PA : Mann Center [4,370]

Sat 30 NEW YORK, NY : MSG [13,098]

july

Mon 2 VIENNA, VA : Wolf Trap [7,028 cap]

Tue 3 BALTIMORE, MD : Rams Head [1,500]

Thur 5 ATLANTIC CITY, NJ : Borgata [2,071]

Fri 6 HOLMDEL, NJ : PNC Bank Arts Center [Pavilion - 6,507]

Mon 9 NORFOLK, VA : The Norva [1,400]

Tue 10 KNOXVILLE, TN : Tennessee Theatre [1,544]

Thur 12 CLEARWATER, FL : Ruth Eckerd Hall [1,997]

Sat 14 BOCA RATON, FL : Mizner Park Amphitheater [3,200]

Sun 15 ORLANDO, FL : Hard Rock Live [2,990]

Tue 17 JACKSONVILLE, FL : Morocco Shrine Auditorium [3,200]

Thur 19 BIRMINGHAM, AL : Alabama Theatre [2,150]

Fri 20 ATLANTA, GA : Chastain Park [6,291]

Sat 21 MYRTLE BEACH, SC : House of Blues [2,067]

I bolded the show I'll be attending. The Morocco rarely holds concerts—gun shows and antique fairs are more its thing—but it happens. This marks the first time I'll see a show there since I saw Nirvana at that place in 1993.

the new timbaland album is a trip. its got some weird cameos. the hives? wtf. but dr dre is involved with his dopest track in like 10 years. maybe 15? totally. the album ain't cohesive. it isn't an album. its all over the map. but its got anthem after anthem that are all totally different. which is nice.

I'll admit I have a mild, albeit perverse fascination with this band. Mainly that the band's singer—usually the center of media attention for any group—is generally ignored due to his chubbiness whereas the fashionably pretty bassist (the bassist! usually the most ignored member of any band) gets all the teeny bopper mag coverage and is the only one to appear shirtless on the cover of Rolling Stone.

I'll admit I have a mild, albeit perverse fascination with this band. Mainly that the band's singer—usually the center of media attention for any group—is generally ignored due to his chubbiness whereas the fashionably pretty bassist (the bassist! usually the most ignored member of any band) gets all the teeny bopper mag coverage and is the only one to appear shirtless on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Well having your junk posted all over the internet doesn't hurt either.

Timbaland officially out yet or did you get a leak, Banky? I'm not up on hip hop release dates.

Yeah I like the Timbaland. Lot of bangers.

I like the Dre song, all the JT songs, the (gulp) G-Unit song (mostly due to the beat), the Elton John song (although he only plays piano), and of course the Hives, She Wants Revenge songs.

But the Fall Out Boy song is my favorite. HA. Seriously.

Now that's a drug addiction.

They announced the acts for my college's Slope Day, which is pretty much a last day of class drinking fest w/ a concert. It's TV on the Radio opening for T.I.. Could be worse.

2003 - Rusted Root and Fat Joe

2004 - Kanye and O.A.R. (the best one in my opinion)

2005 - Snoop Dogg

2006 - Talib Kweli and Ben Folds

I was hoping for something different but this will suffice.