The Czech Republic

Favorite field surface in football

35 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite field surface in football

• Natural grass
    • FieldTurf
    • Astroturf

Guest Salacious Crumb

Natural grass. I don't know about fieldturf since I haven't really heard about how hard it is on knees yet.

Guest Rrrsh

I like Grass the because it eats up the elements the most and I like that aspect of Football.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Well, watch the Steelers play at Heinz Field a few times and you'll have an aversion to grass :)

That just makes me want to vomit.

Guest Vitamin X

Football wasn't meant to be played anywhere other than on grass.

Fuck these guys who play on carpet. Not many championship teams who play on turf go out and dominate on any other surface.

Field Turf is the best surface, that I have played on and I have played on all three. Astroturf is like falling on fucking cement espeically at the Silverdome, and then grass fields especially multipurpose fields at the high school level get so destroyed by the end of the football season that they are almost unplayable. Fieldturf is about as close to grass as you can get and it doesnt get worn down as much as grass does.

Guest Nanks

I encountered this issue recently when doing an Aussie Rules Football in Canada assignment. I don't know how they play NFL/CFL or anything for that matter on AstroTurf. One of the major facets of the game is hitting the deck. I'm stunned there aren't more serious, season-ending injuries playing on such a solid, unforgiving surface as AstroTurf. There are complaints about how many ACL injuries are suffered on very hard natural grass fields here.

AstroTurf is for field hockey and maybe lacrosse. Nothing more.

I don't know how they play NFL/CFL or anything for that matter on AstroTurf.

AstroTurf is dying a quick death in the CFL. Only B.C. (dome stadium), Calgary (outdoor), and Saskatchewan (outdoor) have AstroTurf, IIRC. Before, 8 of the 9 teams had AstroTurf, with Edmonton being (and remaining) the lone team to have grass. Ottawa, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Montreal (I think), and Toronto have gone to FieldTurf, with Toronto of course being the lone indoor stadium of the bunch.

My heart says grass, but knowing what my grass looks like in the late fall / early winter, I know why teams are going with FieldTurf. Nice stuff.

I like the way the astroturf looks in places like Indy and St. Louis, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to play on it.

FieldTurf is probably the best of both worlds, especially when you can't tell by looking at it that it's not the real stuff.