TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

Baseball Books

After reading the Bill James Handbook thread, I thought it might be useful to put together a thread that has a little directory of books for particular statistic studies (i.e. Curveball for PGP) if anybody is interested in furthering their baseball geekery:

Total Baseball

- A giant encyclopedia of baseball statistics and history which, if I've heard correctly, includes new sabermetric statistics (such as win shares) for older players.

Baseball Prospectus

- Another reference book that focuses on the current players at the Major League level (as well as some minor league candidates), with a great deal of statistical analysis and commentary. I own the 2004 version of the BPro (the link points to the currently-unreleased 2005 edition) and it's a tremendous read. Highly recommended.

Bill James Handbook

- Covers the same scope as Baseball Prospectus, but foregoes the witty commentary and goes all-out on statistical metrics. Probably not a bad companion to the BPro.

Win Shares

- The book written by Bill James that's dedicated to explaining the formula for calculating Win Shares.

Curve Ball

- A very stat-heavy book that focuses on offensive metrics, such as Runs Created. I believe this book also has a big section on Player Game Percentage, though I could be horribly, horribly wrong. I've heard good things, so it gets mentioned.

Total Baseball

- A giant encyclopedia of baseball statistics and history which, if I've heard correctly, includes new sabermetric statistics (such as win shares) for older players.

Total Baseball is just a terrific book. It strives to be much more than a statbook. The new edition carries history pieces, such as old articles from Sport magazine. If you have any questions about Baseball history, this book probably has it.

A few others I enjoy...

John Sickels' Minor League Prospect Book

An annual, self published by Sickels. My most trusted source for information on minor league prospects. Runs about $25, including shipping. You can find info at http://www.johnsickels.com.

Koppett's Concise History of Major League Baseball

Late sportswriter Leonard Koppett runs the gammit of baseball history. Particularly useful in detailing baseball's long history of labor strife.

The New Biographical History of Baseball

When I need information about a player that reaches beyond statistics, I consult this book.

Whatever Happened To the Hall of Fame?

Bill James' work on the Baseball Hall of Fame. Particularly good for clarifying the HOF argument. Also contains excellent research on the origins and history of the Hall itself.

Baseball Dynasties

Rob Neyer and Eddie Epstein's book about baseball's greatest teams. A fun read all around.

The Greatest Baseball Stories Ever Told

- A fabulous collection of stories talking about "The Catch", Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth's First Home Run, amongst many other classic moments.

The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination With Statistics

- A fabulous look at the history of statistics in the sport of baseball, including boxscores and accounts from it's first appearance.

Negro League Baseball: The Rise and Ruin of a Black Institution

- Fascinating look at the Negro Leagues.

The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues

- A great look at the players both major and minor, as well as behind the scenes men of the Negro Leagues.

50 Biggest Baseball Myths things they cover

50 The 1962 New York Mets were the worst team in the history of Major League Baseball.

49 Dave Winfield threw a baseball that killed a sea gull in midflight.

48 Candy Cummings invented the curveball.

47 The designated hitter rule was the brainchild of Oakland Athletics owner Charles O. Finley.

46 The "Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance" infield was the premier double play combo of its era.

45 Lou Boudreau introduced the defensive "shift."

44 The first World Series was played in 1903.

43 Brooklyn Dodger Babe Herman tripled into a triple play.

42 The professional ban on hiring black players was an informal "gentleman's agreement" that was never committed to writing.

41 Ty Cobb won the 1910 American League batting title.

40 Pete Gray was the first handicapped major-leaguer.

39 Bill Buckner's error blew the Red Sox lead in the sixth game of the 1986 World Series.

38 The 1919 Chicago White Sox won their "Black Sox" nickname from the gambling scandal that enveloped them.

37 George Brett won the 1976 American League batting title without divine intervention.

36 Nobody hit significant numbers of home runs during the pre-Ruth era.

35 Bo Jackson was the first player to boast simultaneous careers in both Major League baseball and the National Football League.

34 Howard Ehmke pitched a no-hitter on September 7, 1923.

33 Bucky Dent's home run in the 1978 AL East playoff was the game's death blow to the Boston Red Sox.

32 Alexander Cartwright was the first umpire in organized baseball.

31 Hall of Famer Roger Bresnahan invented <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=26&k=shin%20guards" onmouseover="window.status='shin guards'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">shin guards</a> in 1907.

30 The first newspaper story about baseball appeared in 1853.

29 Duane Kuiper (Cleveland Indians and San Francisco Giants, 1975-1985) was the worst non-pitching home run hitter of all time.

28 Night baseball first appeared in the mid-to-late thirties.

27 Aaron Stern initiated the first ladies' day in 1886.

26 The system of hand signals to signify balls and strikes was the idea of umpire Cy Rigler, who wanted to help out deaf outfielder William Hoy.

25 Babe Ruth benefited from a home-field advantage at the "House The Ruth Built" during his historic 1927 season.

24 Pitchers don't win batting titles.

23 The New York Yankees established the greatest dominance over the competition in the history of organized ball.

22 Chicago outfielder Bill Lange crashed through a fence to make a spectacular grab of a flyball.

21 Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs (as we'd reckon them).

20 Ty Cobb was no home run hitter.

19 Outfielder Paul Hines pulled an un-assisted triple play.

18 Babe Ruth was a draft dodger.

17 The Boston Braves were named in honor of the disguised raiders of the Boston Tea Party.

16 Female baseball players have never competed against men on the professional level.

15 Joe Nuxhall was the youngest player ever to compete in the big leagues.

14 Pitcher Rube Waddell dismissed his outfielders during an official Major League game and went on to retire the side.

13 The World Champion 1991 Minnesota Twins posted the greatest worst-to-first record of all time.

12 Boston manager Ed Barrow's decision to move Babe Ruth into the outfield was a stroke of genius.

11 Philadelphia first baseman Al Reach was the first professional baseball player.

10 In 1947, The St. Louis Cardinals seriously considered going on strike rather than face Brooklyn's Jackie Robinson on the playing field.

9 The first big-league designated hitter in a regular season game came to bat in 1973.

8 Ray Chapman's death led to the abolition of the spitball.

7 The Cincinnati Red Stockings were the first professional baseball team.

6 Abner Doubleday invented the game of baseball in the summer of 1838.

5 Dizzy Dean won 30 games in 1934.

4 Only players get beaned.

3 Ty Cobb stroked 4,191 lifetime base hits.

2 Jackie Robinson was the first black major-league ballplayer.

1 Babe Ruth hit a "called shot" home run in the 1932 World Series against the Chicago Cubs.

Hey Al, since you brought up the major league HOF thing, I was wondering if you thought Jack MOrris was deserving? Apparently people think he won't get in because he doesn't have the best relationship with reporters.

Back to the thread, some of those myths do surprise, particularly the top one about the Babe.

And Jackie Robinson. Who was the first black player?

I belive it's Moses Fletwood Walker in the early 1880's. Correct me if I'm wrong, Al.

I think I read something in Total Baseball about that. I'll get back to you guys tonight on that.

And Jackie Robinson. Who was the first black player?

I belive it's Moses Fletwood Walker in the early 1880's. Correct me if I'm wrong, Al.

I think I read something in Total Baseball about that. I'll get back to you guys tonight on that.

Ok. In February of this year, the Providence Journal published evidence that the first professional black player was not Moses Fleetwood Walker, but was in fact William Edward White, who played a single game for the Providence Grays in 1879.

No one has mentioned Moneyball (Michael Lewis) yet, surprisingly. Lewis does a great job of covering the strategy Billy Beane and his staff use to evaluate players, and how they successfully built a 100-win team from one of baseball's lowest payrolls. He does a good job of explaining sabermetric measures such as DIPS and Runs Created, and how they can be applied to player evaluations. A fine book, and a good recommendation for those that want to know exactly how Moneyball works (after hearing Dodger fans the past few weeks, they need to find a copy of this book now).

Weaver On Strategy. Precursor to Moneyball in terms of great baseball wisdom. It was on the Christmas list, but twas out of stock. I'll pick it up very soon and you should too.

31 Hall of Famer Roger Bresnahan invented <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=26&k=shin%20guards" onmouseover="window.status='shin guards'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">shin guards</a> in 1907.

Roger Bresnahan invented HTML? Whoa!

No one has mentioned Moneyball (Michael Lewis) yet, surprisingly. Lewis does a great job of covering the strategy Billy Beane and his staff use to evaluate players, and how they successfully built a 100-win team from one of baseball's lowest payrolls. He does a good job of explaining sabermetric measures such as DIPS and Runs Created, and how they can be applied to player evaluations. A fine book, and a good recommendation for those that want to know exactly how Moneyball works (after hearing Dodger fans the past few weeks, they need to find a copy of this book now).

Probably thought as a given. One of my favorite books, sports or otherwise.

Roger Bresnahan invented HTML? Whoa!

Surely a pioneer.

I'd be remiss if I didn't third the nomination for Moneyball. An excellent book that really gets to the heart of what the Oakland Athletics are about, as well as the men who crunch baseball statistics for a living. It is easily as important a book on baseball that I've seen in the last decade. And since I've had a few inquiries in the past, understand that this book is far, FAR from a book of statistics. In fact, it contains no graphs at all, and the only tables presented are the simple win/loss records of the American League West. The book is entirely a narrative.

I think i'm finally going to give Moneyball a shot. I'm a Yankee fan, and I can't stop what they are doing, but getting to know strategy on building a great team with low payroll is too good of a read to pass up.

I read the book, and loved it.

I didn't really care for the numbers explanation in it, I was more intrigued in how Beane ran the As, especailly the whole trade deadline thing with the Red Sox/Mets/ Youkuliss.