TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

A New College Hoops Thread.....

Don't look now but guess who is one of 2 undefeated teams in SEC play....Florida. Since Matt Walsh went down with an injury they have beaten Arkansas, Auburn, and bitchslapped Vandy in Nashville (always a decent feat). I'm telling you, they are BETTER without Walsh in the lineup choking his nuts off. I always thought if they relied more on Roberson and Lee they'd be a lot better off.

I got OSU/ISU and it was pretty much an OSU squash in the second half. I wanted that UNC/Wake game really bad.

Can you get the ABC regional games on like one of the ESPN PPV packages?

I still think that OSU will be there in the end. Experience, coaching, they have all the factors to make them a player come March. Only team I can think of who won it with youth recently was the freshman led Syracuse team with Carmelo Anthony, and part of the reason why they beat a great Kansas team was because Carmelo was one of the best one and done college players ever.

I think OSU has as good a chance as anyone, but I would still put Kansas as a favourite ahead of them. Kansas also has outstanding senior leadership and coaching, and I think their best players are better than OSU's best players. Simien, Langford and Miles are probably the best senior trio in the country.

That said, OSU has an outstanding team that should make it to at least the Elite 8. If Duke can manage to snag a 1 seed, the best thing for OSU would be to get a 2 seed in that bracket, because they would just tear Duke apart.

It didn't shock me when Texas beat OSU last night, since the game was in Austin. That said I am still more sold on them come tourney time than I am Kansas. I know Kansas was Elite 8 last year but look who they played for crying out loud...Pacific 2nd round (who upset Providence), UAB in the Sweet 16 (the notorious UK upset), before finally jobbing to Ga Tech.

I'd say the main reason Cuse beat Kansas in 2003 wasn't due to Melo, it was the fact that Kansas did their usual chokejob and made less than 50% at the line.

Well losing in Austin isn't really a big shame. They have won there last 40 out of 41 and did have the nations longest home winning streak....until OSU came to town last year.

I think that the Big XII will get one Final Four represenative. They always do.....then that team either chokes or is outright beaten.

Just as long as we don't have a 1988 repeat(OU vs. Kansas) where two teams from the Big XII who have already played 3 times battle it out for the title.

OU is playing Texas A&M tonight at A&M. What a turnaround for A&M? They were like 0-13 in conference play last season and now they're like 10-1?

I fully expect them to beat OU tonight. I think OU has a chance to protect home court most of the way but they aren't very good on the road. I mean they almost lost to Baylor in Waco. Although Taj Gray is a beast and I'm glad we have him.

OU actually schools A and M fairly easy tonight. Could OU be Duke's lone win against someone decent? Heh.

Know whose fans are really starting to get on my nerves? Bama basketball fans. I can't believe these people, they think Bama was just SO for real last year. Never mind that they just got a really nice matchup against an overhyped 1 seed in Stanford. Christ, if Bama was a 7 seed in that bracket instead of an 8 they'd have gotten UConn the 2nd round and would have gotten squashed in the same fashion that they ended up getting squashed by anyway.

Man OU won on the road......I guess the Baylor game was an abberation.

The sad thing about the OU/Duke game was that OU could've won.

They had the perfect plan. They just fed it to Gray or Bookout inside and they schooled Duke on the inside.

Then what happens in the second half? It works and then suddenly Duke gets a little hot as they will and Terrell Everett goes "I MUST SAVE THE DAY" and goes nuts thinking he's Michael Jordan and totally fucks the game up!

I hate to say it with Damaramu here, but Oklahoma's actually really underrated this year, as is the Big XII South in general. When I did my rankings this week, I had the Sooners at #12, and that was before they beat A&M on the road who I have ranked at #18. Oklahoma, Texas, and OSU should all be in the Sweet 16, and one of those teams will probably be in the Final Four.

I hate to say it with Damaramu here, but Oklahoma's actually really underrated this year, as is the Big XII South in general. When I did my rankings this week, I had the Sooners at #12, and that was before they beat A&M on the road who I have ranked at #18. Oklahoma, Texas, and OSU should all be in the Sweet 16, and one of those teams will probably be in the Final Four.

Well I still don't buy us as a great road team even after schooling A&M.

I mean remember what happened at Baylor?

Basically I think we are good. I think we are Top 25 material. Not so sure about Top 15 material. I do see a Sweet Sixteen for us but not farther. I see us protecting home court. But I see us losing in Austin, Stillwater, and Lawrence.

Maybe just maybe we will win one of those games. But I will reserve judgement and see how we play in those games.

Because this basketball team always finds a way to dissapoint me.

With the football team it's like "Hey they're good! They're the best! No wait......dammit. Damn you all! They're still pretty good though...."

with the basketball team it's like

"They suck.....hey they're winning......hey they might go far....no they suck again." To long of a season. To many ups and downs! Haha.

But seriously I think we're better than we get credit for but not better than OSU, Texas, or Kansas. And on top of that I really really think Terrell Everett needs to calm his ass down when we get behind b/c he lost that game to Duke. And I would like a rematch with the Blue Devils.

The thing about being "Top 15" is that it's relative to the other teams. Mississippi State (who just lost to Alabama by about 50), Georgia Tech (with four losses), and Arizona (with a road loss against a Stanford team that's not good at all this year should not be ranked ahead of Oklahoma.

I guess to really discuss it clearly I'll just have to post my rankings in another thread.

I never get College B-Ball ratings.

OU pounds UConn.....UConn remains ranked high and above OU.

I guess the rankings don't matter as much in the end as they do in College FB but I mean they still matter for seeding and such.

What, you expected OU to make up 14 places in a single week? Please.

I guess the rankings don't matter as much in the end as they do in College FB but I mean they still matter for seeding and such.

No one gives a shit about the college BB rankings, and they do NOT matter one iota for seeding in the tournament. The selection committee relies on a lot more reliable data than that.

Actually, the reasonable thing would be for UConn to drop. They're coasting by because they won the title last year, but based on their play, they don't even belong in the Top 25 right now.

I totally agree. What in the hell has UConn does this year that would even make them a top 25 team? The best win they have is vs. INDIANA for god's sake. Think about that one. Whenever they've played a remotely tough game they have jobbed (UMass, OU, BC).

The rankings are real goofy right now, no doubt. Aside from a few very select teams it seems like no one has much momentum, no one has much consistency, etc. Normally I wouldn't think either Cuse or UK are top 10 teams but who else can you put there?

I pretty much ignore the ranking as well. Sometimes it seems like it's based on 90% name and 10% records and nothing else. Not only that, but 64 teams get into the tourney anyway so who cares who's the 15th ranked team in January really?

Went to see the MSU-Purdue game last night. Watching my Spartans struggle against a terrible team, and watching Landry absolutely own us inside (had roughly 50% of Purdue's points on 11-12 shooting) was hard to do. At this point I don't even think that State belongs in the top 25.

Actually, the reasonable thing would be for UConn to drop. They're coasting by because they won the title last year, but based on their play, they don't even belong in the Top 25 right now.

I agree, but getting the voters to agree on that is impossible. They can't fathom that UConn isn't an elite team again this year, even though they lost the two leading candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year.

UCOnn dropped two spots in the coaches' poll for losing to a top 25 team on the road, which is about what you would normally expect. The loss this week should drop them even further.

I'm glad that the rankings don't determine seeding.

Let me ask you this. Does a team's win/loss record determine seeding as well or will they also look at ALL factors that go into this?

Because I mean you get a 4 or 5 loss Wake or UNC team that spent the better part of the season grinding it out on the road in the ACC against a 2 loss let's say Bama team(i don't know bama's actual win/loss record but this is just for example) I'm pretty sure UNC and Wake are better than that team but the win/loss doesn't reflect it b/c they were on the road in the ACC.

Will the selection committee take that into consideration? Or would they rank the 2 loss team higher?

Win loss records play a part in seeding, but not the absolute biggest part. RPI is factored in, strength of schedule, big wins at home, big wins on the road, bad losses and a few others play a part as well.

In your example, I think that Wake or UNC would still get a higher seed.

What? No love for Florida State upsetting Wake Forest?

Granted, Wake might have won if the kid hit the free throw but at the end of the day the Noles knocked off the Deacons.

I swear, Florida St. is one of the most confusing teams in the ACC. One week they look like they could be one of the nations best...and the next they look like they would struggle to beat a Community College.

To answer Dama's question, the committee takes a number of factors into consideration:

- win/loss record

- RPI

- strength of schedule

- quality wins (vs. RPI top 50 and top 25)

- bad losses (vs. teams with 100+ and 200+ RPI)

- conference strength

- road/neutral court record

- last 10 games

- injuries

The committee will usually take a 17-10 team from a brutal conference with some quality wins over a team that's, say, 22-5 but didn't beat anybody of note. A 22-5 team from a tough conference will get seeded higher than, say, if Penn won the Ivy League going 25-2.

Anyone with ESPN Insider access should go check out Joe Lunardi's Bracketology column. He does a really good job of explaining where teams are and why they're there.

Geez Kentucky looked bad last night. Only 16 points in the first half and they barely beat Ole Miss. After watching that, I'm not that confident that they will win the conference tournament. They are very young and nobody has really stepped up as a leader.

Louisville looked good last night, but they were playing the St. Mary's School for the Blind and Limbless so that was expected. Next year should be fun when they have to play good teams in conference play. I can't believe Louisville doesn't have more conference titles than they do.

Mike Davis might have a job for one more season after the Hoosiers beat Michigan. Michigan was undefeated in the Big 10 until last night. If they want to keep him on, so be it, as it's only their reputation and history they are shitting on.

I can't believe Louisville doesn't have more conference titles than they do.

Louisville was getting by on reputation alone for about the last 10 years of Denny Crum's tenure. Cincinnati has been the only real power in that conference since the early 90s.

I can't believe Louisville doesn't have more conference titles than they do.

Louisville was getting by on reputation alone for about the last 10 years of Denny Crum's tenure. Cincinnati has been the only real power in that conference since the early 90s.

True, but I would like to think they could have won more than two conference tournament titles since 1995, especially in the last four years.

There are 4 unbeatens left. I wonder who falls first? I'm guessing Kansas b/c they've had way to many close calls.

I'm just having a sinking feeling that Kansas is one of those teams that will pull out the close one so much and piss everone off b/c they'll never lose. Hell watch them win the National title in triple overtime with a free throw.