TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

A New College Hoops Thread.....

Boston College always seems to choke when they are close to being something (look at their football team this year), so I'd say them.

Boston College always seems to choke when they are close to being something (look at their football team this year), so I'd say them.

I would've said that as well, but it's going to be really hard to screw up with their schedule over the next couple of weeks.

USF (San Francisco not South Florida) upset Gonzaga tonight.

Stanford beat UCLA at Pauly Pavillion for a record eight straight time, 75-64. Looks like they've turned the corner on the season but damn that horrible start has put them in a position where they have to almost run the table (probably two losses at the most) to ensure themself a 11th straight trip to the tournament.

Yeah, I watched the end of that Zags game, but as for Stanford, there's no way that they belong in the tournament. It's more a matter of them winning a few games because the Pac-Ten sucks this year than that they're recovering from a bad start.

That's why I said they have to almost run the table or win the Pac-10 tournament. They've scored double digit wins on Arizona and UCLA the last two weeks so the beginning of this potential turn around wasn't against the bottom of the conference.

During the last 10 years of Denny we had some really solid teams (1991-2001). We went to the Sweet 16 in 1993, 94, 96, made the Elite 8 in 97, and at least made the tourney in 1999 and 2000. U of L's decline was a very odd and gradual thing beginning when we lost out on Allan Houston when his dad left to coach TENN.

Actually I don't think we EVER won a C-USA reg. season title and just won the conf. tourney one time (when it was here at Freedom Hall in 03). My theory is this: We aren't really an overpowering team anymore, yet all these jobbers in the the conf. THINK we're still the Doctors of Dunk, so they bring this furious A game. That's why every year we end up jobbing to Houston, TCU, UAB, or some other jobber. We don't care, they do. It's that simple. Next year we'll be in the Big East where no one hates us aside from the others that are joining.

As far as Kansas goes, they have 2nd round upset written all over them. Just this year's version of UK and Stanford.

:blink: :blink:

I'm watching the game right now, and I am like, this isn't a loss, and it isn't even a beatdown. This is an massacre, in it's truest sense of the word. Kansas just got exposed , big time for the country to see. I've underestimated Villanova, and I forgot how good Jay Wright acutally is. I only shudder to think where Hofstra would be, if he had stayed.

Kentucky decided to bring their A Game today and whip LSU at Rupp. I wish they would play like that all the time. I don't know what their deal is. Kudos to the Rupp crowd for chanting "Go home, Packer" at the end of the game. I don't know why CBS lets that asshole commentate Kentucky games.

OU got a great win at home against Texas today. I was on hand for the game and I was going nuts.

But the officiating was really really shitty. They did everything in their power to give the game to Texas.

The worst part was that Taj Gray was mugged the entire game and I don't think there was ever a foul called.

OU/Texas was an exciting game, not particularly well played but fun. Dama, OU might have been overhyped in football but I think they are severely underrated in basketball this year. They are 15-2 and looking like a strong 2 seed at the moment. If they could hit the broadside of the barn they'll get real dangerous, heh.

U of L finally trashed Tennessee today, strange game. It looked like another narrow win over UT, but finally Pitino said fuck that shit and we went on a crazy 24-2 run and just stomped the Vols.

I think I have been saying all over this thread that Kansas isn't shit this year despite whatever their record may be. Today certainly proved that. I sorta thought when I saw that game listed "Hmm...Kansas on the road, Nova nearly beat BC, could be a trap." Didn't think Nova would crush them though.

The sickest thing is that Duke will undoubtedly go up to #2 in the polls now...and Illinois has Wisconsin on the road this week. Ugh. That said I think Duke has UNC on the road too, so who knows. BC might be the only unbeaten left before long, and I'm sure either Pitt or Cuse will dispose of them handily.

Incidentally, Pitt is becoming my guilty pleasure. I had a blast watching that game vs. UConn tonight, great comeback. Pitt is just so BUTT ugly and fun to watch in a sick sort of way. Can you imagine that epic Big East tilt next year with Cincy? First team to 40 wins!

U of L finally trashed Tennessee today, strange game. It looked like another narrow win over UT, but finally Pitino said fuck that shit and we went on a crazy 24-2 run and just stomped the Vols.

I think I have been saying all over this thread that Kansas isn't shit this year despite whatever their record may be. Today certainly proved that. I sorta thought when I saw that game listed "Hmm...Kansas on the road, Nova nearly beat BC, could be a trap." Didn't think Nova would crush them though.

The sickest thing is that Duke will undoubtedly go up to #2 in the polls now...and Illinois has Wisconsin on the road this week. Ugh. That said I think Duke has UNC on the road too, so who knows. BC might be the only unbeaten left before long, and I'm sure either Pitt or Cuse will dispose of them handily.

Incidentally, Pitt is becoming my guilty pleasure. I had a blast watching that game vs. UConn tonight, great comeback. Pitt is just so BUTT ugly and fun to watch in a sick sort of way. Can you imagine that epic Big East tilt next year with Cincy? First team to 40 wins!

Yeah, I saw that happen to the Volenteers. Tenn was thinking that it was going to go home, at least looking good in its lost, then the Cardnials literally trashed them, and left them for dead.

As for Kansas, they should've just called the game, and left for the Plane, after the monster Three that put them down by 30 was fired. After that, we all knew that Kansas lost, and they knew it too. I wonder what's going to happen to them in the Big 12, now. Do they look like OU upset bait to you now? With the way they're playing, I think so.

As for Duke....I usually like Duke, but this year, Fuck Duke, they aren't shit either. This is the worst team since Duke '95, and just wait until they have to face the boys from Winston-Salem, and Chapel Hill. It's going to be an ugly exposition there too.

You know what, I am a Syracuse Fan, and if we do go 14 - 2, 15 -1 (we're going to lose to either Pitt or UCONN, I'm sure), and win our Tournament, I hope the Selection Committee is stupid enough to put us as a 2 seed, and give us the same bracket as Olkahoma State as the 1 seed. I want a rematch, badly, as we got beat by the better team that night. But not the better team, overall. I want my Orangemen to show that the loss was an accident due to a shitty second half.

So what does everyone think of VTech and Miami, not being the doormats in the ACC, yet?

Guest Ether

You should have seen them last year, when the defense was awesome but no one could shoot from the perimeter. Anyone remember the game last year against Syracuse that went to overtime and was something like 45-42? This team, at least until the 2nd half last night, seems to have the opposite problem.

So what does everyone think of VTech and Miami, not being the doormats in the ACC, yet?

Fuck the ACC.

Guest spidyfan77

I think Va Tech and Miami are simply trying their best to bring their A games every night, despite not being particularly good or anything. It's so ironic to me that Va Tech is in the ACC, considering they were unceremoniously tossed from the Metro once C-USA formed due to their total lack of drawing power. Now they are in a really huge conference and actually WINNING a few.

Jesus, it's gonna be nuts when we head to the BE next year. An improved UConn, Cuse, Pitt, BC, and even a jobber like Nova can step up on a given day. The one new team that worries me: Providence, Pitino's old team. They'll want to beat us in the worst way.

OU/Texas was an exciting game, not particularly well played but fun. Dama, OU might have been overhyped in football but I think they are severely underrated in basketball this year. They are 15-2 and looking like a strong 2 seed at the moment. If they could hit the broadside of the barn they'll get real dangerous, heh.

Yeah they usually shoot better than that.

Now we have to play OSU on Monday night, a game I'll be in attendance for.

OSU is just so dangerous though. After Kansas being humiliated I think it's finally time to declare OSU the best team in the Big XII.

Oh well OU is undefeated in the Big XII. Hehe.....unfortunately now we gotta play OSU.

I think we'll lose to OSU at home and in Stillwater and Texas in Austin. I don't think we go to Lawrence....so if we don't go there those 3 may be our only remaining losses.

This is much better than last season. I don't care if we get knocked out in the first round of the tourney it's better than the shitty team I had to endure last year and the NIT. Though I stuck by the team and said "They will be better next season." and I was right....thank god.

Jesus, it's gonna be nuts when we head to the BE next year. An improved UConn, Cuse, Pitt, BC, and even a jobber like Nova can step up on a given day. The one new team that worries me: Providence, Pitino's old team. They'll want to beat us in the worst way.

BC won't be there next season, they are moving to the ACC. Thought I should point that out.

Guest spidyfan77

Yeah I forgot about that, BC leaving. I guess there is a sort of cognitive dissonance I have about BC being in the ACC, like it makes utterly no sense.

Don't look now, but Duke has climbed up to number two in the polls. UNC right at their heels (pardon the pun) at number 3. They aren't that good, and I can't wait until we play them at the Dean Dome. We will demolish them in our building. Unfortunately, you can't get tickets to the Duke game until your last year of school, and seeing as how I'm in the first year of a 5 year PhD program, I won't be seeing the Duke game for awhile.

I may have to retract my last statement about OSU being just as good as they were last year.

At the beginning of the season they were hot but lately.....it's just been ugly.

They got beat up by Texas on the road, a game they won last year and yes OU is improved but I didn't think they were improved THAT much.

OSU has to find some answers before the tourney.

Now I'm feeling great about OU's chances. I think they can win all of their other conference games except for the trips to Stillwater and Austin. Hell they may be able to take one of those though.

Bookout and Gray are a very dangerous combination and make OU's inside game very difficult to handle.

I mean Gray is like 6'10" and Bookout is 6'8" and both weigh in the 250-260 range. They just get in there and bang around.

You're basically going to need a 7 footer to handle them.

Don't look now, but Duke has climbed up to number two in the polls. UNC right at their heels (pardon the pun) at number 3. They aren't that good, and I can't wait until we play them at the Dean Dome. We will demolish them in our building. Unfortunately, you can't get tickets to the Duke game until your last year of school, and seeing as how I'm in the first year of a 5 year PhD program, I won't be seeing the Duke game for awhile.

You could always scalp some seats.....but UNC-Duke would be quite expensive........

I was trying to tell everyone that OU was for real. I did expect the Cowboys to put up a better fight, but the Sooners are good enough to go to the Elite 8 right now with a decent draw.

Oh, and even though they look like shit right now, I still think Georgia Tech will win the ACC tourney and make the Final Four when BJ Elder comes back.

Face it: Ga Tech was a one year fluke last year. Do I need to go into them beating N. Iowa by 5, BC by 3, Nevada by 5, Kansas in OT, and OK St. by 2? They were extremely lucky throughout the tourney and when you win a bunch of close ones, it catches up with you next year. Ask the Carolina Panthers.

OU might just be getting a bunch of tough games at home and getting fired up for those. They look solid right now, but I am holding out until I see them play well against a good team on the road.

Wed. night is a game I dread: Marquette. For some insane reason those guys just own U of L. They have lost 2 in a row but that makes me even more nervous since they'll be desperate to win. When is that Diener fuck ever going to graduate?

Well A&M did beat Texas at home and OU destroyed them. But then again A&M sucked last year so maybe they were just one of those teams on a hot streak and not actually that great. I dunno. The tests will be in Austin and Stillwater.

I might've said going to Ames to play ISU was a test but ISU is just falling a part. And going to Columbia isn't tough either anymore.

Everyone is out jumping on bandwagons... Let's see how the season plays out there are still what 10-12 more games plus the conference tourneys to go. Someone like Oklahoma State whom is everyone is writing off could get hot and be the favorites come march. Hell, Illnois could lose 4 or 5 games between now and then.

Everyone is out jumping on bandwagons... Let's see how the season plays out there are still what 10-12 more games plus the conference tourneys to go. Someone like Oklahoma State whom is everyone is writing off could get hot and be the favorites come march. Hell, Illnois could lose 4 or 5 games between now and then.

Well it's my school that is developing a small bandwagon. Basically I thought they were going to be good but not this good. I was expecting a better season than last season but they've surpassed all expectations and I am really really suprised.

I'm very proud of how my team is playing and I'm hoping they can keep this momentum up.

Like I said before though they haven't really been tested on the road. They were basically ambushed by Baylor but then they came back and beat the hell out of A&M who was riding a wave of momentum by beating Texas at home the week before.

So I am suprised that my team is currently sitting at #1 in the Big XII with Kansas as both are undefeated in conference play.

Hell I think we may even be able to win the Big XII regular season if we can stay this hot. Bookout and Gray are huge and it's going to take a great outside shooting team or someone with just as many big bodies to really get them hard.

I think we can take one in Stillwater or Austin.

Oh and Drew Lavender is listed at 5'7" but I stood behind him waiting to cross the street the other day but I swear he's like 5'5" instead.

Well yeah they can be. OSU is going to have to pull out a zone in Stillwater. Unfortunately Eddie Sutton hates that zone and tries to stay away from it at all times.

But I mean I trust Eddie's coaching ability more than I do Sampson's. And some may say "How can you say that about your own team?" well I'm just being realistic.