TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

This is so fucking stupid. Thing is, they are NOT IN LA! I mean, literally not in Los Angeles county. They are in Orange County, and that is not the same as LA.

So? The NEW YORK Jets and NEW YORK Giants play in a whole different friggin state...nevermind counties.

Hmm...The Massachussetts Red Sox of Boston. Ghey.

California should be contracted...the whole state.

The name is just a ploy by Moreno. No one is going to refer to them as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, they are just going to call them the Los Angeles Angels or the LA Angels. But when the city of Anaheim sues him over the name, he will just point out that Anaheim is still part of their official name, even though he knows full well that no one will call them by their long official name. Smart move by Arte.

The Angels might as well be called the Los Angels Angels. They have a 100 million dollar payroll (third biggest behind the Yankees and Redsox) because they are apart of the Los Angeles media market, not because they are apart of a non-existent Orange County media market.

Guest Vitamin X

There are some. Orange County and LA County are almost two completely different thing. The OC is like the space that's in between LA and San Diego, but it's not part of either. Anaheim is technically closer to LA than SD, thus the association, but they're still different areas.

I think I read earlier in this thread that Greater LA included Orange, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernandino county, which has to be the most asinine comment I've ever heard. Especially San Bernandino, I mean man, that's fucking far.

I like the Los Angeles Angels name, especially since LA is known as the "City of Angels". The whole "LAA of Anaheim" thing is silly sounding, but oh well.

The LA Clippers have played at Arrowhead Pond in the past and may be moving out of Staples and back to Anaheim soon, but I doubt anyone will suggest that they become the Anaheim Clippers.

As far as the TV market thing goes, I am in Riverside county (Moreno Valley, just barely outside the city of Riverside) and all the local channels are Los Angeles and are labeled as LA-11 for Fox, LA-13 for UPN, etc.

At any rate, the name isn't all that significant anyway. No matter what they're called, at least I can go see a team that I am somewhat interested in to partially make up for not being able to see the Cubs, White Sox, and Cardinals this upcoming season.

I don't know. I'm just going by the Los Angeles TV stations' broadcast area.

I've been to LA on a couple occasions, but I wasn't sure exactly how far away it was in miles (can't really go by driving time since that varies drastically depending on time of day and traffic). I went to the Yahoo maps driving directions page and typed in my address and Los Angeles, CA. Here are the results:

Starting from: (address removed), Moreno Valley, CA 92557-8606

Arriving at: Los Angeles, CA Save Address

Distance: 59.8 miles

Approximate Travel Time: 1 hour 1 min

I'd say that qualifies as the greater LA area. But really, I'm not the guy that should be trying to explain this, seeing as how I've only been here since November 6th, 2004.

I thought San Bernardino-Riverside was its own area, but Anaheim, I always associate as just being Los Angeles's Schaumburg.

Yeah, we're part of the Inland Empire but everyone out here gets LA TV stations.

LA Angels is fine but of Anaheim. It's just weird.

What about the Puerto Rico Expos of Montreal? That would have made more sense at least a few seasons ago.

Guest Vitamin X

Los Angeles Angels doesn't make any sense. Especially if you're bilingual, it comes out saying The Angels Angels (since LA's actual proper name is something along the line of Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles meaning Our Lady of the Angels, going with the whole spanish missionary going up and down the California coast)

The LA Clippers have played at Arrowhead Pond in the past and may be moving out of Staples and back to Anaheim soon, but I doubt anyone will suggest that they become the Anaheim Clippers.

Probably not, but they wouldn't call themselves the "Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim" either. If they tried, Stern would find the marketing genius who came up with that and have him shot.

Los Angeles Angels doesn't make any sense. Especially if you're bilingual, it comes out saying The Angels Angels (since LA's actual proper name is something along the line of Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles meaning Our Lady of the Angels, going with the whole spanish missionary going up and down the California coast)

So basically, if they used the city's proper name, they'd be (in English) "Our Lady of the Angels Angels of Anaheim"? It gets even better...

Probably not, but they wouldn't call themselves the "Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim" either. If they tried, Stern would find the marketing genius who came up with that and have him shot.

I love David Stern. He's so cool. He and I should go shopping some time.

Guest Vitamin X

That's basically what I was trying to imply earlier. And everyone is basically using that term to describe Orange County now, so why not? It's become modern slang, much like I'm sure Los Angeles became LA one day (I'm sure it wasn't always called that)

Guest Just Looking
There are some. Orange County and LA County are almost two completely different thing. The OC is like the space that's in between LA and San Diego, but it's not part of either. Anaheim is technically closer to LA than SD, thus the association, but they're still different areas.

I think I read earlier in this thread that Greater LA included Orange, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernandino county, which has to be the most asinine comment I've ever heard. Especially San Bernandino, I mean man, that's fucking far.

Yeah, but they talk about San Bernardino all the time on the local news (I live in Burbank).

They should call themselves the OC Angels. I've been saying that for awhile.

Moreno wants more ad and TV revenue. Having Los Angeles attached to his team's name will help increase his cash flow. Vlad the Imapler is going to become a monster celeb in the next couple of years. This name change hoopla can only help the Angels in marketing and advertising.

Combine the stupidity of MLB with the overall crumminess of California and this is what you get.

California's a great place, why do you always randomly bash it? Did you get traumatized there at an early age or something?

Agreed on the first point. I've been in California for 2 months (not counting the 3-4 weeks I was here last February) and it's already my favorite state (and I've been to 20-something). It's certainly better than Illinois and the lame ass excuse for a state capital in which I lived.

I can't be too mad at Kahran, though, because he's a Packer fan and apparently enjoys anime as well. :)

I just wanted to say that. Hopefully this does not degenerate into an argument about why California does/doesn't suck.

Guest Vitamin X
Combine the stupidity of MLB with the overall crumminess of California and this is what you get.

California's a great place, why do you always randomly bash it? Did you get traumatized there at an early age or something?

He's just jealous. Or hates nice weather.

I will first admit that I have a bias against big cities, but I've always found the hype about SoCal to be so damn overrated after having been to LA/SD twice in my lifetime.

Northern Cal or the Valley might be to my liking though

the Valley is part of Los Angeles...

The Central Valley (specifically, San Joaquin and the Fresno area)

Not everything in California revolves around LA, you know.

I've never even been to California. What I meant is that in terms of making decisions they are often in another reality. I probably should have said the stupidity of California with the overall crumminess of MLB. Of course I still don't see much of the appeal of Southern California (sand...yippee), but from a geographic perspective the north can be quite beautiful.

Also, yes, I do prefer winter.